Additional Acoustic Treatments? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-02-2013, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You guys have been a huge help already, so I know I am in the right place!

Attached are a couple pics of my room currently (I am going through a metamorphosis, made the mistake of letting someone else do it while I was not around much and gave them a little too much freedom!) Regardless, I have not been happy with the sound, especially the lows. I have (2) FV15HPs on the way to use in conjunction with my currently underpowered 642e. Having stepped back, I realized there is still a lot of reflective surface in my room as well and am looking for guidance on what to additionally cover with acoustic treatments. I just purchased material for behind the screen (Thanks BIG) and do not currently have anything covering the back of my solid core door that is opened in the pic. Would you all recommend anything on the angled part of the ceilings as well? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-03-2013, 12:31 PM

Liked: 21
Are those red panels 1" thick?

Either way, if bass is the problem you're having you'll need thicker traps. Superchunk or soffit style traps in the corners can cover a lot of area without totally eating up your floor space. You should also do a sub crawl to optimize subwoofer position in the room as I don't see the current placement as the best for the room.
Panels on the angled portion of the ceiling will definitely help, but again, if you're having bass problems I wouldn't suggest very thin panels. Try at least 4" panels up there.

Alexander Reynolds
GIK Acoustics
post #3 of 10 Old 04-03-2013, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your input, I definitely need it! Up until this point it has been an issue of an underpowered sub not hitting levels I would like, my fear being that once the FV15HPs arrive I will begin to have reflection issues. As far as adding treatment to the angled ceiling, would you recommend large panels or staggered medium/small panels? Also, my original plan was to recess the two FV15HPs in each corner of the front wall (due to space) and put my 12" 642e in the back corner by the door, is that ill-advised?
post #4 of 10 Old 04-03-2013, 01:38 PM

Corners typically aren't the best place for subs. The best place is usually dictated by measurement (well, and practicality - obviously the sub won't be in front of the couch 3 feet and to the left 2 feet from center). When you get new amps I would try out many different sub positions and find what works best.

I think you'd be fine with standard sized panels on the slanted ceiling. A few 2' x 4' panels would work well. Treatment in the corners will be really important for those lower frequencies.

Alexander Reynolds
GIK Acoustics
post #5 of 10 Old 04-03-2013, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

I am at a bit of a loss on how to tackle bass traps in my corners since the walls meet an angled ceiling (especially if the subs end up in corners and with the back row seating in the corner). The other problem is I know that traps below 17 inches aren't usually recommended and at that width I run into issues with floor space and current acoustic treatments being in the way. As far as the subs, aesthetically the recessed corners are pleasing, but would I be better off just closing up the current cutout and floating them in the room for better adjustment or possibly widening the cutouts allowing them to be angled more within?

I really appreciate your help and advice, I tried accepting the mediocre sound for a while and it just finally got to me!
post #6 of 10 Old 04-03-2013, 03:01 PM

Note that there still could be the possibility of sounding best in the corner. I would crawl the sub though and see where it ends up. And yes, if they weren't best place, it would be best to just close them off. Actually, you could place some light insulation in them and cover with fabric too smile.gif.

The thickness just acts as a lower cutoff of the traps so it really depends on how low the problems you're having are.

Have you tested the room at all?

Alexander Reynolds
GIK Acoustics
post #7 of 10 Old 04-03-2013, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

I won't really be able to pinpoint the low problem areas until I have everything in place. I am just trying to get a game plan together on what treatments I will most likely need, and complete the ones I will undoubtedly need now. The old clapping test is pretty flat in the middle of the room, but horribly reflective and echoey at the screen ( I am working on that now with Linacoustic). I am trying to create the best environment I can before it is properly calibrated.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-03-2013, 10:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 770 Post(s)
Liked: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houdini3 View Post

my original plan was to recess the two FV15HPs in each corner of the front wall
Could you instead place the subs at the 1/4 and 3/4 points of room width?

Sanjay
post #9 of 10 Old 04-04-2013, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Could you instead place the subs at the 1/4 and 3/4 points of room width?

+1...I love 25/75% placement for subs as it cancels 1st and 3rd odd order width modes and puts the subs at the null points for the problematic 2nd order modes, though that won't tame length mode issues and he has multiple rows of seats.

Master of Minions, Acoustic Frontiers. We specialize in the design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-04-2013, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

I would like to be able to do 25/75%, but my screen sits too low to accomplish this if the subs are recessed at those points (FVs are 3" taller than the current sub pictured). Really, even if they weren't recessed, I still couldn't deviate much from the sides due to room dimensions and screen height. I'm thinking I'm going to end up in a doing the best with what I've got scenario. I am at least planning on widening the cutouts a little bit in order for some angle adjustment within the recess.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page