The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #271 of 281 Old 12-02-2014, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Bean bag chairs could work and "store" in the kids' rooms.

(Years ago, we gave the nieces and nephews bean bag chairs for Christmas. Went over huge!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 281 Old 12-06-2014, 11:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
Current state of my theater:

ROOM: 17x16x10

ACOUSTICS:
DIY acoustic panels Staggered (side walls)
DIY acoustic panels (rear wall)

VIDEO:
Epson 5020UB (cinema mode)
Seymour Center Stage XD 150" 2.35 scope screen acoustically transparent
DirecTV HD DVR
Popcornhour A-400
Samsung Bluray player (older model)

VIDEO PROCESSING:
Lumagen Radiance XD
Darbee Darblet

AVR:
Denon 4520CI

AUDIO:
MiniDSP

AMPS:
Emotiva XPA3 (fronts and center)
Emotiva LPA7 (surrounds)
Behringer inuke 3000dsp (x2)
SpeakerPower SP1-4000 (JTR S2)

SPEAKERS:
Definitive Technology UIW RLSIII (LCR x3)
Klipsch Synergy S2 (surrounds x4)
HTD HD-65AIM (wides and heights x4)

SUBS:
JTR Captivator S2
DIY Infinity 1260W 1.5 ft^3 (X8)

MEDIA SERVER:
FlexRAID server (media streaming)

Protection:
Panamax M5300-PM
Panamax M5300-EX
Cyber Power UPS

SEATING:
Coaster Pavilion 4 seat set

MISC:
Roomie Remote (iPad mini)
Niles IR repeater
Global Cache' IP to IR module
Emotiva trigger expansion
Middle Atlantic slim5 rack and custom faceplates
Insteon remote controlled dimmer
Temperature controlled A/V closet

I love your room, I do have a question. Is your screen covering a window, and if so how did you mount your on walls? I am in the process of building my room. The size is 20'x17' and the wall my screen is going to go on has a window and I trying to get ideas on how to do my set up because I want to go with an AT screen. The speakers I am using are the Niles Pro 2870 lcr, they are cabinet speakers, not on walls. I would like to do a minimalist false wall and I was wondering if you used that approach.
post #273 of 281 Old 12-07-2014, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by P007 View Post
I love your room, I do have a question. Is your screen covering a window, and if so how did you mount your on walls? I am in the process of building my room. The size is 20'x17' and the wall my screen is going to go on has a window and I trying to get ideas on how to do my set up because I want to go with an AT screen. The speakers I am using are the Niles Pro 2870 lcr, they are cabinet speakers, not on walls. I would like to do a minimalist false wall and I was wondering if you used that approach.

Thanks! I do not have on wall speakers, I have in wall speakers. I also have windows as well and the screen wall is the front of my house. What I did was, I left the blinds in the window so that the front of the house would look normal. Took of the window sill and blinds cover at the top of the blinds for more space. I covered the window with rigid fiberglass and then plywood on top. I wish that I had a false wall, but I didn't want to loose any space in the room since it is only 17' long. I was barely able to fit the in-wall speakers because of the windows and the way the structure of the house was built. I checked at least five times before I started cutting out the big spaces for my speakers. This is why I went with the Deftechs UIW RLS II's. After I installed my speakers, I left the grills off of them because I didn't want to paint them, and instead I covered the entire area with the same acoustic material on my panels. This way, when the screen is mounted, I would not have any reflections from the wall or the speakers.

The two small windows are the screen wall. I did the same for the windows on the side wall. Looking at this picture makes me think that the room looks really small.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	406682  

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #274 of 281 Old 12-07-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Thanks! I do not have on wall speakers, I have in wall speakers. I also have windows as well and the screen wall is the front of my house. What I did was, I left the blinds in the window so that the front of the house would look normal. Took of the window sill and blinds cover at the top of the blinds for more space. I covered the window with rigid fiberglass and then plywood on top. I wish that I had a false wall, but I didn't want to loose any space in the room since it is only 17' long. I was barely able to fit the in-wall speakers because of the windows and the way the structure of the house was built. I checked at least five times before I started cutting out the big spaces for my speakers. This is why I went with the Deftechs UIW RLS II's. After I installed my speakers, I left the grills off of them because I didn't want to paint them, and instead I covered the entire area with the same acoustic material on my panels. This way, when the screen is mounted, I would not have any reflections from the wall or the speakers.

The two small windows are the screen wall. I did the same for the windows on the side wall. Looking at this picture makes me think that the room looks really small.

My bad, I met to say in walls. Your room is similar to mine, but I don't have side windows. I have 3 big windows on the back wall. I actually wanted to put my screen on the front wall but when my house was built the builder put an air vent on the front wall. That had to be a modification because on the blueprints the vent was on the side wall, so I have 2 air vents in my room. So since that vent was on the front wall I decided I had to go with the screen on the back wall. I wish I would have know this ahead of time when I was getting the house built and I would have had the builder not do windows on the back wall, and since it is in back of my house I don't think that would have been an issue. I actually wanted to do in walls, and then I contemplated towers. I went with the Niles because I got a good deal on them. I may try something similar to what you did. What do you suggest? By the way, sorry about your Eagles today I was pulling for you guys today. I am a Redskins fan so my team has sucked for years. The last time my team was good was when I was in high school and we won the Superbowl. Beat those damn Cowboys next week, and any suggestions you have for my room I'll greatly appreciate it. Thanks again.

Percy
post #275 of 281 Old 12-08-2014, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P007 View Post
My bad, I met to say in walls. Your room is similar to mine, but I don't have side windows. I have 3 big windows on the back wall. I actually wanted to put my screen on the front wall but when my house was built the builder put an air vent on the front wall. That had to be a modification because on the blueprints the vent was on the side wall, so I have 2 air vents in my room. So since that vent was on the front wall I decided I had to go with the screen on the back wall. I wish I would have know this ahead of time when I was getting the house built and I would have had the builder not do windows on the back wall, and since it is in back of my house I don't think that would have been an issue. I actually wanted to do in walls, and then I contemplated towers. I went with the Niles because I got a good deal on them. I may try something similar to what you did. What do you suggest? By the way, sorry about your Eagles today I was pulling for you guys today. I am a Redskins fan so my team has sucked for years. The last time my team was good was when I was in high school and we won the Superbowl. Beat those damn Cowboys next week, and any suggestions you have for my room I'll greatly appreciate it. Thanks again.

Percy
Yea the Eagles didn't look good yesterday. Chip Kelly has a hard time against good defenses. Kinda disappointing.

If you have room for a false wall I would do that. This way you don't have to worry about your windows. Can you just move the return vent to the ceiling? If you can, you can put the room the way you want it. Moving air vents is not that hard. I installed two of them in my AV closet and the hardest part was dealing with the heat in the attic.

- Leon Phelps
post #276 of 281 Old 12-08-2014, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 52
This may have been asked elsewhere, but do you ever have any reflection type issues with your light colored carpet? I think it really helps make the room look a little more balanced vs all black, but wondered if you have any reflection issues.

Thanks,
Kevin
post #277 of 281 Old 12-08-2014, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey Kevin, The floor is definitely brighter than the rest of the room, but I never notice it during the movies. When I am reclining in my chair, you can even see the carpet. I agree with you about not having it black, but when I replace the carpet, I might use a gray color. Adding the panels on the wall made a huge difference. My ceiling is painted black just like my walls use to be and there is more reflection on the black paint than the panels. I was actually looking at that yesterday during commercials for the Eagles game.

- Leon Phelps
post #278 of 281 Old 12-08-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Yea the Eagles didn't look good yesterday. Chip Kelly has a hard time against good defenses. Kinda disappointing.

If you have room for a false wall I would do that. This way you don't have to worry about your windows. Can you just move the return vent to the ceiling? If you can, you can put the room the way you want it. Moving air vents is not that hard. I installed two of them in my AV closet and the hardest part was dealing with the heat in the attic.
I would say Chip Kelly struggles against good defenses. I just think he didn't call a good game and scheme right. Also, I thought that pass interference was a bad call. It set Seattle up to go up by 10, also Jenkins should have had a pick 6. Even though Seattle dominated time of possession and yards Philly was right in there. Philly has a very good underrated defense.

You know, I wish I would have thought of having the vent moved when I had the house built but hindsight is 20, 20. The room is already prewired and set up to put the screen on the wall with the windows. I will go with a false wall, using a minimalist set up. I just wish I was little more handy. How hard was it making those panels?

Percy
post #279 of 281 Old 12-08-2014, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's not hard at all. Just time consuming! Very tedious! You would be surprised at how handy you can become when you try things. You can do it, and when I attempted things for the first time (cutting a hole in my wall to install the rack) I always told my self that it can be fixed if I mess up. I am actually cooking up a new project for my theater right now and when I am done with my plans I will post about it.

- Leon Phelps
post #280 of 281 Unread Today, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The past few days I have been working a few minutes on running more circuits to my AV closet. I added three 20A lines and one 30A line. Even though all of the outlets are 20A I will just put a 20A breaker on the 30A line until I find out what outlet I am going to use. The reason I am doing this is because I ran out of power and my inuke amps are being choked out by one of my Panamax line conditioners. I am also really considering adding even more bass for some reason I can't explain. Trying to convince the wife why I need more is another challenge I need to address as well. Shouldn't be too bad though, just need a good reason.

While I was running more electrical lines I had to move four of my subs out of the way. So I stacked them in the corner just to see what it would look like. Other than having chrome drivers, it doesn't look too bad. That corner is a good spot for subs too as I have had different subs there in the past and it sounded great.

I just like to have all speakers hidden and my surround speakers are about to be hidden too. If I did decide to put subs in the front corner they would have to be normal looking and maybe I could build an acoustically transparent wall in front of them. Either way, these new circuits will take care of more amps and future plans I have coming up. This has been a long time coming!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0290.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	429841   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0289.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	429849   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0288.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	429857   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0287.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	429865  

- Leon Phelps

Last edited by Pain Infliction; Today at 05:35 PM.
post #281 of 281 Unread Today, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Yeah. I feel like I need to add another 20amp to my closet. We will be waiting for your big changes
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Behringer , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , diy , Emotiva , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , jtr captivator s2 , lumagen radiance , Popcorn Hour A 400 Network Media Jukebox , Yamaha Rx V667 Receiver
Gear in this thread