The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 266 Old 06-22-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 935
Just buy a sata card. It's a better option and allows you to get a different mobo and CPU. I'd say something more efficient with power since it will run all the time.

You can get x8 sata cards with 8 full speed sata ports for $80. Most mobos come with 6 or 8. Assuming one for SSD and another for optical drive that leaves you 12-14 for hard drives. If you needed more just add another sata card.

I have 12 in my server and about to add a second card to go to 20.

12 x 3 TB drives is 36TB. With 2 parity it's still 30TB.

It would be 40TB with 4TB drives.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 266 Old 06-22-2013, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Any recommendations for mobo and processor combo? The reason why I was going with the asrock is so I didnt have to spend extra money on a card, but you made a great point about power consumption. I didn't even think about that.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #33 of 266 Old 06-22-2013, 03:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Asrock is a great choice for a motherboard. I'd recommend one for your server build. I have an Asrock Extreme3 in my server. I got it for $99 and it came with 8GB of DDR3 free.

You'll need to choose a CPU for me to give you a specific model. Intel is more power efficient and also faster as a CPU. AMD often has superior GPU but that doesn't matter much in a server.

A nice budget build would be a G1610 socket 1155 CPU ($35) with a modest AsRock mobo under $99.

If you wanted to transcode on the fly you'll be better off stepping up to a z87 and a quad core. If you wanted to virtualize you'll need a server grade CPU (you probably don't want this)

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #34 of 266 Old 06-23-2013, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What is transcoding? Something I also thought of is, how do I tell what hard drive is failing or failed if I have a bunch on the mobo and sata card? Will flexraid tell me what slot it is on on the mobo or pci card?

- Leon Phelps
post #35 of 266 Old 06-23-2013, 06:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

What is transcoding? Something I also thought of is, how do I tell what hard drive is failing or failed if I have a bunch on the mobo and sata card? Will flexraid tell me what slot it is on on the mobo or pci card?

Transcoding is changing the resolution on the fly to deliver content to different devices.

Example: You have a 1080p rip you want to watch on your iphone, droid, laptop, or tablet over wireless- but you can't stream 1080p over wireless because the wireless it too slow for such a huge file size and bit rate. Many front ends (plex is best) and programs can take your 1080p content and transcode it on the fly to an appropriate resolution (like 480p on your cell phone, or 720p on your laptop) It takes some CPU horsepower to transcode on the fly - and for this I would say get a quad core.
Other people use something like handbrake (program) to change the resolution before they play - but that is a ton of work. With Plex, and MB3 you can transcode on the fly and upload the video stream over the internet to play on your smart phone or tablet on the internet if you are not home.

On my honeymoon I watched a movie on my iphone in Hawaii- and my server is at my house in MA. That's freakin' half way around the world !!!

You can tell if a hard drive fails. It will tell you. Hard drives are on cables that are labeled. Usually the sata card has PORT 0 and PORT 1 (port 0 is drives 1-2-3-4 and port 1 is drives +5+6+7+8) and the expansion cables has each sata tip labeled (1+2+3+4) the second one then 1=5, 2=6, 3=7, 4=8/ It is not hard to keep track of your hard drives. I used a cheap label maker I bought at costco that prints stick on labels- and actually labeled the top of my server with drives so in the future I know which drive is where without a glance. When you install the drives you must install each one (basically give them a drive letter, sometimes windows does this automatically when it auto detects the hard drives) - The hard drive must be installed on the the operating system before you can use it for a flexraid pool, or add it in. This is the time you can label the drive- I label the HDD and the top of my server so I know which drive is which and where it is. That way in the future if one of my drives fails I know exactly which one it is and where it is.
Pain Infliction likes this.

-

post #36 of 266 Old 06-23-2013, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Awesome! It is really cool that you can watch your media anywhere. Thanks for helping understand things with Flexraid. I know that I have asked a lot of questions and you have given me very thorough detail answers.

- Leon Phelps
post #37 of 266 Old 06-23-2013, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I am paying it forward for the help I get in this forum asking about theater builds. biggrin.gif

-

post #38 of 266 Old 06-29-2013, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Some screen shots that I took because it is too hot to go outside!

My camera sucks! I wish I had a DSLR but I don't so I have to use this crappy Sony Cyber-shot. It is the same camera that the rest of my pics are taken with.

Lights on and then off pics.

- Leon Phelps
post #39 of 266 Old 06-29-2013, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
WOW thats amazing!!!
you have totally eliminated grey bars even without lens.
Could you please upload some 16:9 material screenshots?
post #40 of 266 Old 06-29-2013, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sure. I will do it tomorrow. Have a bunch if family over right now. The first pic is not a movie but it is 16x9 content. The vp allows me to make it 2.35 also if you want me to take a pic of that too.

- Leon Phelps
post #41 of 266 Old 06-29-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:

Sure. I will do it tomorrow. Have a bunch if family over right now. The first pic is not a movie but it is 16x9 content. The vp allows me to make it 2.35 also if you want me to take a pic of that too.

OH you re right! the second picture is exaclty what i was asking
No need for more screenshots.
post #42 of 266 Old 07-28-2013, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

UPDATE
Finally got all the parts in for my FLexRAID server build. After hours of learning and building and dialing it all in.....IT WORKS!!!!!!! Streaming a movie right now off of it in my theater.

Special thanks to Mfusick! He led me in the right direction and personally helped me out via text messaging. True stand up guy!

Also I started building my acoustic panels. I wanted to do that staggered wall concept that Landshark did, but not all the way around the room. I have all the frames built and about 1/3 of the with fabric on them. This is also a very long process the starts to hurt the fingers a little bit. To make thing go faster, I purchased some new tools such as air compressor and a nail gun. Love it too.

Here is the pic of the mess in my theater right now. Crappy cell pic sorry.

- Leon Phelps
post #43 of 266 Old 08-04-2013, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

UPDATE:

Added some recessed lighting. Installed them last night and wired them this morning before the attic was too brutal. Even though I started at 7:30am, it was still really hot up there. But its done! Next I want to add a remote control dimmer to it and remove the ceiling fan. That will get taken down today. Next week or the week after, I am going to add some more AC ducts and also add one more small one into the AV closet. My server is in there with the back side of the rack and the rack's exhaust fan blows into the closet.

By the end of next weekend I will have the acoustic panels on the wall as well so stay tuned. I also got the E56Ci center, but that will not be here until Wednesday. I will have a stand for that to get the center up off of the floor.

Still have a crappy camera. I am going to pick up a dslr soon, but for now this is what the new lights look like. I have two on each side.

Ceiling fan is about to be removed!

- Leon Phelps
post #44 of 266 Old 08-04-2013, 08:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

UPDATE
Finally got all the parts in for my FLexRAID server build. After hours of learning and building and dialing it all in.....IT WORKS!!!!!!! Streaming a movie right now off of it in my theater.

Special thanks to Mfusick! He led me in the right direction and personally helped me out via text messaging. True stand up guy!

Thanks for the kind words biggrin.gif

Congrats on your accomplishments, there is much you can be proud of with this project.

-

post #45 of 266 Old 08-04-2013, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No problem! You helped me out so much that I owe you! I don't know what I can do for you, but if you need anything just yell at me.

- Leon Phelps
post #46 of 266 Old 08-10-2013, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

UPDATE:
I bought a fourth seat for the new member of the family coming soon. I also have built all of the acoustic panels and regular panels. I purchased the larger center speaker from Emptek (E56Ci) and built a stand for it to get it off the ground a little bit. The smaller center was just overpowered it seemed.

Here are the panels that need to be hung. I will do that today.

Seats

I will take more pictures after I hang the panels.

- Leon Phelps
post #47 of 266 Old 08-10-2013, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:

UPDATE:
I bought a fourth seat for the new member of the family coming soon. I also have built all of the acoustic panels and regular panels. I purchased the larger center speaker from Emptek (E56Ci) and built a stand for it to get it off the ground a little bit. The smaller center was just overpowered it seemed.

Here are the panels that need to be hung. I will do that today.

Seats

I will take more pictures after I hang the panels.

Panels look great.

Bigger center is always better. Having centers from the same line in both my theater and living room is far more noticeable a difference to me than the difference between towers and bookshelves between the two set ups.

My Basement HT/Gaming/Bar Space.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
post #48 of 266 Old 08-10-2013, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks. Yes the center made a huge difference and I definitely not worried about the surrounds matching. I don't think I would even notice a difference so I can't justify the cost to do that.

Just finished hanging up the panels. I am making lunch for my daughter and I right now so when we are done eating I will snap some shots. I think they came out fantastic and better than I thought they would.

- Leon Phelps
post #49 of 266 Old 08-10-2013, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Photo update!

Once again iPhone camera. dslr in a month or two.

Here are the panels on the wall. I think it turned out great! Next on the list is painting all of the trim black. The white trim is starting to show too much especially when looking at the back where the two doors are and the rack. I might get started on that tonight or tomorrow. HVAC in the av closet will be next weekend starting at 6am.

- Leon Phelps
post #50 of 266 Old 08-11-2013, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Painted all the trim black. Looks way better now. The white was too distracting. By the way......did you guys know that painting with oil based paint sucks!? If you didn't know that, painting with oil based paints sucks! That crap smells really bad and it made the entire house smell like it. Not to mention if you get it on your skin. I does not want to come off. The way it goes on sucks too. Glad that is over with. On to the results.

I took two shots of this because my camera sucks. One of the shots is with the flash on.

Side view

- Leon Phelps
post #51 of 266 Old 08-11-2013, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Added some acoustic panels on the back wall. I got a chance to demo with all the new panels and, WOW! Everything sounds so much more clean! "Clean" is really the first thing that popped into my head when I heard some demos I played. I should have done these panels a long time ago.

- Leon Phelps
post #52 of 266 Old 08-17-2013, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Finally got around to doing the HVAC. Woke up at 6am and started. I laid out all my tools and items last night so that I could get started without wasting time. Believe it or not, today has been the coolest (temp) day in months! last night was cooler as well and this definitely worked in my favor. I can tell already that my theater is cooler and my av closet is obviously cooler. I have three attic spaces around my theater so I was able to added some insulation around the back side of the av closet where the insulation was lacking.

Here are some pics of the register.

Here is a mess that I need to clean up sometime.

The inside of my rack is not as messy but not as clean as some other peoples on this site.

- Leon Phelps
post #53 of 266 Old 08-31-2013, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So I finally retired the Logitech Harmony 900 and replaced it with the Roomie Remote. I was eyeballing the Roomie remote for a while and finally bought and iPad and the corresponding items to make me able to be lazy in my theater. I also installed an Insteon programmable dimmer so that I can control the lights from the ipad. Right now I have the lights come on dimmed when paused is press and the lights go off when I press play.

After thinking about how else I want to control the lights, this is what I came up with:

-Walking into the theater I will turn the lights on manually to see where the heck I am going.

-Press the "watch a movie" button and every thing turns on.

-20 seconds later the lights will dim down slowly until the are off.

I have to say that I love how in-control of everything I am on the roomie remote.

This is a logo that I came up with for the background on the iPad.

- Leon Phelps
post #54 of 266 Old 08-31-2013, 03:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

That looks cool ! ^ biggrin.gif

-

post #55 of 266 Old 08-31-2013, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks!

I also redid the HVAC and now my temps inside the AV closet are 74 degrees max. That was at the hottest part of the day today which was around 97 degrees. I am really happy about that!

- Leon Phelps
post #56 of 266 Old 08-31-2013, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Love the theater! I am also in Houston, the Katy area, and will be moving to a house in the 6 months or so. I like the simplicity of your room and want a similar look in my theater when I build it. I am in an apartment right now, but I have a dual stack Benq W7000 system, which I really like, with a 110 inch SI 1.4 zero edge screen, which I also love.

I'm curious why you only have 4 seats in a room that size? A personal choice or did you feel additional seats and a riser would not fit into the space. Does the light colored carpet reflect a lot of light back on the screen?

Cool logo as well.

Congratulations of a fine job!
post #57 of 266 Old 08-31-2013, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the compliments! I have four seats because that is how many people are in my family. I also do not have enough room for a second row with the size of my screen. It would be too much for the front row and I wanted the largest size I could get my projector to handle. As far as the carpet goes....I will eventually put darker carpet in the room because the light reflects some off of it. It is not too bad and I think that it is probably more noticeable because the room is very dark. Where in Katy are you looking to move to? Stay away from Fry and Mason rd! Too much traffic! Further West or Southwest is less traffic.

- Leon Phelps
post #58 of 266 Old 09-07-2013, 01:43 PM

That is really nice.
Your theater is one of my fav presentations in this forum.

Could you please upload some measurements (ie REW graphs) before and after room treatment? (if you have)
Pain Infliction likes this.
post #59 of 266 Old 09-07-2013, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Very nice of you to say that! Thanks!

I have measurements taken of the room before the treatments, but they are on my laptop that went belly up. Since my laptop went belly up, I have not been able to take any more measurements since then. What sucks about it is that I had my dsp settings saved on my hard drive as well.

I am about to change out my sub for an array of SI 18" d4's soon. I will need to get another laptop to tune them so I will have it soon. I will post them.

- Leon Phelps
post #60 of 266 Old 09-22-2013, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Small update....

1. I finally got around to setting up my jukebox onto my iPad.

I should have done that a long time ago because it is way faster to get to a movie.

2. I also, cleaned up some of the wires in my rack. They were not like a crazy rats nest or anything but I just wanted to take care of that before it did get out of control.

3. Picked up another amp for my surrounds. It's the Emotiva LPA1. An older amp but got a good deal on it and I wanted another amp for when I purchase the Denon X4000 so that I can go 9.4. The Denon does not amplify the heights so I had to pick up another amp anyway.

Next on the list is
Denon X4000
Cerwin Vega CV5000
four Stereo Integrity 18" subs
a pair of in ceiling speakers for heights
dedicated circuit for the amp and one for the rack
but all of that will have to wait a couple of months because my second child is going to pop out in less than a month. That being said, all of this should be done by Super Bowl! At least that is my goal.

Man I really need to pick up a good camera. It is just not high on my list. mad.gif

- Leon Phelps
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Behringer , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , diy , Emotiva , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , jtr captivator s2 , lumagen radiance , Popcorn Hour A 400 Network Media Jukebox , Yamaha Rx V667 Receiver
Gear in this thread - 4520ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page