Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #61 of 266 Old 09-24-2013, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I setup my IPad for my living room and bedroom. I don't really care for it now that I have it done. I went back to my Logitech 1100 in the living room. I just missed having the buttons and not having to look at the remote to do the simple things. I still use it in the bedroom, but not sure how long that will last. It looks very cool on the ipad running roomie and nmj navigator, but.....I miss the buttons for lights out changes for volume and such. Just old fashioned I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 266 Old 09-24-2013, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 196
I understand. I would not want this for my living room, but the theater is perfect for it because I watch movies in there 98% of the time. The other 2% is watching the Eagles play. Thats it. I do not watch tv in there unless a special event is on or something like Super Bowl.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #63 of 266 Old 11-11-2013, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 141
I'm late to the party but you did an awesome job!
post #64 of 266 Old 11-11-2013, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Nick!

I am about to do some upgrades to the theater. i just ordered an AT seymour screen the same size of the one I already have. I am also getting a new avr and speakers for the LCR channels. Decided to go 11 channels as well, so the X4000 is out of the picture and now want to get the Denon 4520. Some new cosmetic stuff on the walls to complete what I have started and I will update as soon as all of this goes down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Leon Phelps
post #65 of 266 Old 11-15-2013, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

150" 2.35 scope screen?? Is it not too overwhelming for a seating distance of 17/16 feet...as you know I ordered 125" 2.35 screen but strongly feel I should have gone with 141" but lot of seating distance calculators gave me 125" is about right size. My room is 17 ft in length and 13.4 feet in width and height of 10 feet.

Thanks

post #66 of 266 Old 11-15-2013, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Not at all. I would have gone bigger if I could and if screen door effect was not an issue. I do not go by the calculator. I projected the image first to see what it looked like before I ordered my screen. matter of fact, I just ordered another screen the same size but AT. Changing things up in my theater real soon here.

- Leon Phelps
post #67 of 266 Old 11-16-2013, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just watch Thor (I know, it came out two years ago) and that movie has some great lfe. My theater was rocking! I thought the movie was really good too so I could see my self watching it again real soon. Thought that I would share.

- Leon Phelps
post #68 of 266 Old 11-16-2013, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 141
^+1 That movie has some HOT LFE... i clipped my subs pretty hard through the whole movie eek.gif
post #69 of 266 Old 12-01-2013, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I ordered some new toys for the theater! Going 11 channels and I wanted to have all my speakers hidden so I purchased in-walls for the LCR's and a new AT screen!

Denon 4520ci avr
Definitive technology UIW RLSIII for the LCR
and HTD HD-65aim for the heights and wides
Seymour Center Stage XD (same size as my other screen).

Also ordered the rsh rack shelf for the Denon and got one for my Directv receiver that I will be swapping out with the one downstairs because it looks better than the one I have in the rack right now.

I still need to get more fabric and wood to make panels the finish off what I started on the walls. This will also hide the wides. I hope to have all of this done in one weekend after everything gets here.

- Leon Phelps
post #70 of 266 Old 12-03-2013, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Progress!

Started to install the wide speakers today. I had no choice but to mount them low like I did because of framing issues with windows and the previous wall openings before I closed them in. They are at the proper angles though and the speakers are AIM speakers. The woofer is and 18 degree angle and the tweeter moves another 15 degrees so that make a total angle of 33 degrees which is just enough.

I will start the heights this weekend and have both the wides and heights wired up. Still waiting for the rest of my gear to show up in the mail. Also, I added a small TV in the av closet so I do not have to turn on the projector every time I want to change something or take measurements or whatever.

I do have the speaker grills and they are painted black, but I do not think that will matter because there will be fabric panels covering the entire wall so the speakers will be hidden.

- Leon Phelps
post #71 of 266 Old 12-06-2013, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Started making the rest of the panels and dry fitted them on the wall. I still need to make half of them for the other wall. It is taking a long time and I know that this is not even half the battle. Putting the fabric on is the worst part!

- Leon Phelps
post #72 of 266 Old 12-07-2013, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have worked all day and yesterday evening! Still have more to do tomorrow, but not that much. I wanted to get as much done today because I want to watch football tomorrow.

My new AVR arrive Monday and it is the last step before I have 11.1. I finished all the wiring today for the heights and wides. Completely finished the right wall with panels paint and fabric. The left wall just needs fabric attached. I went out and bought an electric stapler to makes things easier and faster. Why I didn't buy one sooner makes no sense to me because this thing is awesome!

I am so tired for all this work that I have done. I think I put in about 5 hours last night and about 10 hours today. I see the light and the end of the tunnel though!

Some of the panels laid out for painting.

Painted the top of the panels, but went back and painted the inside part too just in case. Easier to do it at that point then having to go back and do it.

It is really hard to get good pics in my theater because I do not have a camera, so I took one with the flash and one without.

Notice that you can not see the "wide" speaker. This is what I am shooting for, hiding all speakers!

previous pic:

- Leon Phelps
post #73 of 266 Old 12-08-2013, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Finally finished the side walls and everything is ready for 11.1 now! Finished just in time for the football game! My hands are super soar from stretching the fabric and my thumb is still soar from shooting a brad nail into it Friday night.

Here are some before and afters:

and

- Leon Phelps
post #74 of 266 Old 12-08-2013, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 96
That looks awesome! I'm afraid to ask, but what was your total panel count?

Spaceman Theater Build

post #75 of 266 Old 12-08-2013, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks!

33 2x2 panels
16 panels around the 2x2 panels
So that is 49 panels total for the side walls. I have another 4 on the front wall and 3 on the back wall. I think that I might do the entire back wall as well but the grand total is 56. eek.gif

- Leon Phelps
post #76 of 266 Old 12-09-2013, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My new toy!

This is it right out of the box....

and in the rsh shelf and faceplate.

Spent a little bit of time dialing it in tonight. I really need some time this weekend to finish it all up.

My first thoughts are:

The sound is wonderful! It really is impressive out of the box and sounds way better than the Yamaha rxv667 that I had.
Audyssey xt32 tuned my sub really well! I need to take some measurements this weekend and see what it did.
The avr runs really hot. A lot hotter than the Yamaha.

- Leon Phelps
post #77 of 266 Old 12-09-2013, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

Thanks!

33 2x2 panels
16 panels around the 2x2 panels
So that is 49 panels total for the side walls. I have another 4 on the front wall and 3 on the back wall. I think that I might do the entire back wall as well but the grand total is 56. eek.gif

Boy, I have a lot of respect for guys building panels! That looks like a lot of work!

BTW, thanks for taking Chippy out of the PAC-12! We don't miss him! biggrin.gif

My Build Threads

post #78 of 266 Old 12-10-2013, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

Boy, I have a lot of respect for guys building panels! That looks like a lot of work!

BTW, thanks for taking Chippy out of the PAC-12! We don't miss him! biggrin.gif

Oh it is a lot of work! The worst part is stretching that fabric IMO.

Your welcome for taking Chip. He has done a wonderful job so far. At the beginning, I was not sure, but I love the direction the Eagles are going. It has been a while since they have been good and I am enjoying it.

- Leon Phelps
post #79 of 266 Old 12-10-2013, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Your ht is great!! one question about the wide spks you installed,they look like there just closer to you rather than wider than your front spks.My ht has heights spk but not wide because my room is only 11.5 ft wide,but it looks like you put yours just closer to the seating area,how does it sound the way ? Ive got a Yamaha 11.2 pre-pro coming soon & may try wides the way you did.
post #80 of 266 Old 12-10-2013, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thank you sir! The wides are at the proper angle according to audyssey. I am changing out the front speakers and screen. The speakers will be behind the screen and they will also be at the proper angles. The speakers are actually arriving today. The screen will be here soon.
As far as the sound goes, I have barely been able to listen to anything. I just got the avr last night when I got home from work and set it up. I need this weekend to finalize things and test.

- Leon Phelps
post #81 of 266 Old 12-10-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
when my yamaha arrives ill play with using wides spks,but my main spks are only a few inches from the side walls.Do you like the Epson,ive got its cousin the 6020.
post #82 of 266 Old 12-10-2013, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes I love the 5020. I have it on the lowest lamp mode and it is bright. I might go jvc on my next projector though but I am happy with the 5020.

- Leon Phelps
post #83 of 266 Old 12-15-2013, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Hey, subscribed! You have done a great job with the room so far, have your speakers arrived yet? I am curious to get your thoughts on them since we traded PM's last. I am enjoying mine smile.gif Also congrats on your Eagles they are having a much better year than my Steelers.....
post #84 of 266 Old 12-15-2013, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Hey, subscribed! You have done a great job with the room so far, have your speakers arrived yet? I am curious to get your thoughts on them since we traded PM's last. I am enjoying mine smile.gif Also congrats on your Eagles they are having a much better year than my Steelers.....
Thanks ack! I have not received my speakers yet. They were stuck in Dallas due to weather. They will be here tomorrow and my screen should be here this coming week as well. I will post my thoughts on them when I get everything together.

The Eagles have surprised me this year. Glad they are doing good! It has been a few years lol. The steelers actually are not mathmatically eleminated yet. They had a bad start. Hard to catch up after that.

- Leon Phelps
post #85 of 266 Old 12-15-2013, 12:59 PM

Looks great. Are those panels same size, but different depths installed in a random pattern?
post #86 of 266 Old 12-15-2013, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSTWG View Post

Looks great. Are those panels same size, but different depths installed in a random pattern?

The panels in the middle are all the same size and different depths strategically place, and the panels on the outside of those are different sizes but the same depth as the smallest depth of all the panels.

- Leon Phelps
post #87 of 266 Old 12-17-2013, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I got these bad boys in yesterday. I am not feeling well enough to install them yet, but hopefully soon.

- Leon Phelps
post #88 of 266 Old 12-17-2013, 06:54 AM

Subscribed.

Looking very good. There are a lot of similarities in how you have approached your build and what I am imagining mine will play out like. I have a few questions if you don't mind?

At one point you mentioned windows, how did you go about closing them in? I have two windows that each have an "eyebrow" arch over them. I'm considering how I want to close them in so that they still look good from the outside and will be accessible from the inside in the future if we ever want to uncover them.

What did you use for your acoustic material in your panels? I live in the Katy area and am looking for local supplies of some panel material.

Did you build boxes for your in-wall speakers?

Did you consider a door for your rack? Are the lights and noise an issue? I'm looking at a similar rack in a similar location as yours and wonder about the noise and lights from it.

Excellent looking theater.

Steve

My Dedicated Cinema

Denon X-4000
Energy RC-50, Energy LCR, Energy RC-10
Dual SVS PB-2000
post #89 of 266 Old 12-17-2013, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booknut View Post

Subscribed.

Looking very good. There are a lot of similarities in how you have approached your build and what I am imagining mine will play out like. I have a few questions if you don't mind?

At one point you mentioned windows, how did you go about closing them in? I have two windows that each have an "eyebrow" arch over them. I'm considering how I want to close them in so that they still look good from the outside and will be accessible from the inside in the future if we ever want to uncover them.

What did you use for your acoustic material in your panels? I live in the Katy area and am looking for local supplies of some panel material.

Did you build boxes for your in-wall speakers?

Did you consider a door for your rack? Are the lights and noise an issue? I'm looking at a similar rack in a similar location as yours and wonder about the noise and lights from it.

Excellent looking theater.

Steve

Thanks and no problem. When i tackled the window issue, I also wanted it to look like normal from the outside. The best way I could think of doing that was to leave the blinds in and closed. I built an inner frame for support to attach the ply wood. I did not worry about dry wall because all of the windows were covered by panels and I would not have been able to put drywall on them either because i left the blinds in. That is the sacrifice I had to take, because my theater is on the second floor and I had to make the house look normal on the outside.

As far as boxes for my in walls......The Def techs are made with enclosures already. The heights and wides were not and I did not make boxes for them because they are just ambient sounds coming from them, and not the main listening focal point.

I do not really want a door for my rack. The lights are not an issue because I dimmed them and I also tinted them. When I use to have fans going in the rack, I could hear them when nothing was playing or in quiet scenes. But I had some fans that moved a lot of air and were not the quiet fans I don't have fans anymore because my av closet is temperature controlled, so I do not hear anything. For your case, if you are going to use fans, you might want a door on the rack so that you will not hear them or have really quite fans. Also think about if your blu ray player is loud or not. I do not have one so I can not comment on that.

Thanks again

I hope this helps

oops I missed the acoustic material part.....I used OC703. I finally found it here in town for a pretty good price. The place is off of 610 north loop I think. I would have to try and find a receipt for that. I live in Katy too, but I did not find a place in Katy. Trust me I looked too!

- Leon Phelps
post #90 of 266 Old 12-21-2013, 09:52 AM
Just add water and stir

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

When i tackled the window issue, I also wanted it to look like normal from the outside. The best way I could think of doing that was to leave the blinds in and closed. I built an inner frame for support to attach the ply wood. I did not worry about dry wall because all of the windows were covered by panels and I would not have been able to put drywall on them either because i left the blinds in. That is the sacrifice I had to take, because my theater is on the second floor and I had to make the house look normal on the outside.

I did much the same. I did not want to attract attention, negative, or create interest. I am glad I went this way too.
Pain Infliction likes this.

|
 |
|
 |
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Behringer , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , diy , Emotiva , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , jtr captivator s2 , lumagen radiance , Popcorn Hour A 400 Network Media Jukebox , Yamaha Rx V667 Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page