post #181 of 266 Old 04-19-2014, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm_rep View Post

Your room looks Great! I would like to do something like your walls. Could you show me how your connecting the panels to the walls.
Brad nails and a nail gun is how I connected them to the wall. That was really the easiest part and fasted part of the entire process. I'm not going to sugar coat it, the construction part of the panals was not fun. Very tedious and long.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 266 Old 04-19-2014, 07:05 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 618
I like the panels. Just a factoid when Gary and I were working on his staggered panels we actually said " while his may be the first AVS forum theater with staggered panels we bet it wouldn't be the last" finally some proof that we were right. Enjoy!
BitChin2 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:

post #183 of 266 Old 04-19-2014, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, that is where I got the idea from. People ask me all the time about it and I refer them to that theater. You did a fantastic job on it as the rest of your theaters you have built!

- Leon Phelps
post #184 of 266 Old 04-19-2014, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

Brad nails and a nail gun is how I connected them to the wall. That was really the easiest part and fasted part of the entire process. I'm not going to sugar coat it, the construction part of the panals was not fun. Very tedious and long.
If hell exists, it is not fire and brimstone. It is just a man building panels and stretching fabric over them.

post #185 of 266 Old 04-19-2014, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post

If hell exists, it is not fire and brimstone. It is just a man building panels and stretching fabric over them.

LOL, that is too funny! It's the truth though! wink.gif

- Leon Phelps
post #186 of 266 Old 04-19-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:

Thanks fellas! Carp, I don't know about you but avtexan and I are having beautiful weather here in Houston!

Ha, for once we are too.
Pain Infliction likes this.

post #187 of 266 Old 04-19-2014, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Great looking theater, what color are the panels and what color are your walls and ceiling? How do you like your side speakers and using them for the rear? Do you run them as a bi pole or di pole speaker.
Thanks
Allen
post #188 of 266 Old 04-19-2014, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekPM19 View Post

Great looking theater, what color are the panels and what color are your walls and ceiling? How do you like your side speakers and using them for the rear? Do you run them as a bi pole or di pole speaker.
Thanks
Allen

Thanks Allen! My walls and ceiling were painted with Benjamin Moore Aura black. The fabric is black burlap.

I like the surrounds. They are bipole and fill the back sound stage nicely.

- Leon Phelps
post #189 of 266 Old 04-19-2014, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks Allen! My walls and ceiling were painted with Benjamin Moore Aura black. The fabric is black burlap.

I like the surrounds. They are bipole and fill the back sound stage nicely.

Thanks for the information. Did you get the fabric from a fabric store or is it something you have to order now days. I haven't seen a fabric store since my mother use to go to one when I was a kid. Do you have anything behind the panels for sound deadening?
Allen
post #190 of 266 Old 04-20-2014, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the information. Did you get the fabric from a fabric store or is it something you have to order now days. I haven't seen a fabric store since my mother use to go to one when I was a kid. Do you have anything behind the panels for sound deadening?
Allen

I bought the fabric from here and I think it is cheaper now. I framed out the panels and the wrapped them with the burlap. The staggered panels have OC703 in them and the surrounding panels have nothing in them. The panels on the back wall also have OC703 in them.

- Leon Phelps
post #191 of 266 Old 04-20-2014, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

This is how I have mine set up:

I have a desktop PC that is my main PC. I do most things on this. I have a flexraid server set up that I can remote desktop into from my desktop. It serves to back up my systems, hold my data including movies, pictures, music etc...
Then I have a HTPC client with only SSD drive (no storage) in my AV rack closet that I use for playback. I'd need a PC in the house anyways and enjoy my desktop so most I would imagine just use the HTPC for both duties which works well too.

MFUSICK - not sure I saw it above - what front end are you using on your HTPC to play back at the AV rack/projector?

post #192 of 266 Old 04-20-2014, 09:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyk36 View Post

MFUSICK - not sure I saw it above - what front end are you using on your HTPC to play back at the AV rack/projector?

You mean what software am I running?

I run mostly MediaBrowser 3 on my HTPC, it's the most theater centric IMO. I use it with MadVR video rendering, and Vs/Xy filters/SubVOD/LAV for managing audio and video streams and subtitles. I like how it handles trailers and organization, my media server is 48TB so I find it's a lot better in these areas than XBMC or PLEX. I do also have PLEX server set up on my media server and I use it a lot on my ipad retina with headphones, especially late at night when wife is sleeping.

My set up would take more than a few sentences to explain properly but I don't want to derail this thread to much. I've tried every front end and set up and rebuilt my hardware many times over last couple years, individual wants and needs have a lot to do with what solution is best today, but I feel like MB3 is advancing so fast we might reach a point where it's clearly the best for the serious enthusiast set up or dedicated theater.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #193 of 266 Old 04-20-2014, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I run mostly MediaBrowser 3 on my HTPC, it's the most theater centric IMO. I use it with MadVR video rendering, and Vs/Xy filters/SubVOD/LAV for managing audio and video streams and subtitles. I like how it handles trailers and organization, my media server is 48TB so I find it's a lot better in these areas than XBMC or PLEX. I do also have PLEX server set up on my media server and I use it a lot on my ipad retina with headphones, especially late at night when wife is sleeping.

My set up would take more than a few sentences to explain properly but I don't want to derail this thread to much. I've tried every front end and set up and rebuilt my hardware many times over last couple years, individual wants and needs have a lot to do with what solution is best today, but I feel like MB3 is advancing so fast we might reach a point where it's clearly the best for the serious enthusiast set up or dedicated theater.

Thanks -

So it looks like Pain is using the Popcornhour A-400 with the Flex Raid back end - Pain - any issues with 3D Playback?

Mfusick - So you are using "Media Browser Server" on the WHS/FlexRaid and "Media Browser Classic" or "Media Browser Theater" on your HTPC?

Jim

post #194 of 266 Old 04-20-2014, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks -

So it looks like Pain is using the Popcornhour A-400 with the Flex Raid back end - Pain - any issues with 3D Playback?

Mfusick - So you are using "Media Browser Server" on the WHS/FlexRaid and "Media Browser Classic" or "Media Browser Theater" on your HTPC?

Jim

I actually don't watch 3d. There are people that do watch 3d with the PCH A400 and I do not think they are having issues.

- Leon Phelps
post #195 of 266 Old 04-20-2014, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I bought the fabric from here and I think it is cheaper now. I framed out the panels and the wrapped them with the burlap. The staggered panels have OC703 in them and the surrounding panels have nothing in them. The panels on the back wall also have OC703 in them.

Thanks
Allen
post #196 of 266 Old 04-20-2014, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Is their a thread on avs that talks about how to build a system like this ?

Allen
post #197 of 266 Old 04-21-2014, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

I like the panels. Just a factoid when Gary and I were working on his staggered panels we actually said " while his may be the first AVS forum theater with staggered panels we bet it wouldn't be the last" finally some proof that we were right. Enjoy!
Beautiful looking HT! And I like how your interpretation of the stagger panel turns out. smile.gif

I might have missed it, but I don't see the PB2000 and how did you incorporate with the S2?
Mfusick likes this.

~ Gary

)

post #198 of 266 Old 04-21-2014, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks Mfusick I will look over their and get an idear of what I want and pm you.
Thanks again
Allen
post #199 of 266 Old 04-21-2014, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1 View Post

Beautiful looking HT! And I like how your interpretation of the stagger panel turns out. smile.gif

I might have missed it, but I don't see the PB2000 and how did you incorporate with the S2?

I sent the PB2000 back to SVS. I could not get it to play right with the S2. There were a lot a phasing issues that I could not iron out. I am using a klipsch sub instead, right behind the seats and I tuned it with the S2 pretty easily. I do not have it turned up loud at all, but it is there so that I can't localize the S2. I actually works out really great. Before I put a second sub, I could feel the bass on the left side of my face and now, even turned down low, the second sub make the bass perfectly even if that makes since to you.

- Leon Phelps
post #200 of 266 Old 04-21-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Allen

There is many of them; what specifically ?

Do you want an HTPC? A media server ? Or a desktop workstation? My set up includes all three. You could try an all in one machine for cost and simplicity but the results are not quite as good. Most start there and then convert the all in one to a dedicated HTPC and build a media server when they run out of storage. What's your budget? What do you want to do?

Start a thread in the HTPC section and PM me a link I'll give you some help and advice; I don't want to derail this thread. smile.gif

Quote:

Thanks -

Jim

All of the above. I like theater best these days, it's still beta an no themes yet but it works great. The search functions and category organization are excellent. It also plays ISO well. Also folder format rips too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1 View Post

I agree biggrin.gif

Quote:

Allen

A few of the DIY theater guys with dedicated theater builds recently built HTPC's and their threads should provide some insight and help to you.

Start here:

NickBuol's "help me build HTPC for less than $800 thread is a good start. Pages of goodness and not too old, much of what is discussed is still current.

Larry M's is pretty good too. He is a regular here on the forum and has the Ch.14 "FirePower build; This one is also pretty current and loaded with tons of goodness.

Also,

This thread is a good show off of different front ends; Please excuse that I never got around to updating mine smile.gif I should do that since my current front end is a lost nicer than what I have posted up, MB project has advanced way past that.

You can also visit the MB webpage or PLEX webpage. (Some guys even use MB server and feed XBMC with it, which is way better than just XBMC solo since you get the server back end and all the MB 3 features and capabilities that XBMC just can't do. They call it xbmb3c )

This is a great place to start too.
http://mediabrowser3.com/

If you are more interested in a Media server and not a HTPC check out this: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1438027/mfusicks-how-to-build-an-affordable-30tb-flexraid-media-server-information-requested/0_100
It's moved off topic but you can see my journey, pop in and ask any questions you have there is a group of regulars in that thread that have not only helped me, but can help you too.

I'd also suggest this:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1522031/who-else-has-built-a-ridiculously-overpowered-htpc-whats-your-story/0_100

That thread should be a must read before you buy anything ^
It should give you insight into what you really need to spend or build to get what you want. Lots of different opinions, (different than mine) on both sides of the fence. For me I'm geeky and I wanted it all, but I went ultra cheap which does not mix well so I ended up rebuilding a bunch of times. Some other people went high end and wasted tons of money because they did not need it- that thread should help you balance and understand the differences between a high end set up and a ultra cheap and all levels in between.

Lastly,

If you get ultra brave and want the absolute best possible PQ and SQ - better than a fancy video processor you can check this out: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1477339/so-youve-built-your-htpc-now-what-is-next-how-to-get-the-ultimate-picture-and-sound-quality-from-your-htpc-madvr-svp-xbmc-mediabrowser-jriver/0_100

Thanks to Madshi (MadVR developer) and reneTHX (HTPC GOD) there probably isn't another thread like that on the internet for the advanced HTPC user ^

Ok, back on main topic:
Quote:

I sent the PB2000 back to SVS. I could not get it to play right with the S2. There were a lot a phasing issues that I could not iron out. I am using a klipsch sub instead, right behind the seats and I tuned it with the S2 pretty easily. I do not have it turned up loud at all, but it is there so that I can't localize the S2. I actually works out really great. Before I put a second sub, I could feel the bass on the left side of my face and now, even turned down low, the second sub make the bass perfectly even if that makes since to you.

Are you mixing ported and sealed subs ? I know there is issues with mixing ported and sealed. The DIY speaker forum had a couple good detailed posted about it.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #201 of 266 Old 04-21-2014, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you mixing ported and sealed subs ? I know there is issues with mixing ported and sealed. The DIY speaker forum had a couple good detailed posted about it.

Yes sir!......Usually it is the phasing issue that is the hard part and usually that is dependent on port tune of the ported sub. But I had so many phase changes that I could not get it just right. I am pretty sure somebody out there could do it. I will say that I am not a noob at tuning, but I am not the best either. I just couldn't justify the 700 dollars or what ever the pb2000 costs for sub par response. Especially since the klipsch sub that I already owned was doing a better job integrating with the S2. Believe me when I tell you that I tried hard too. I spent an entire weekend trying to tweak it just right and with out success It got sent back that following Tuesday.

- Leon Phelps
post #202 of 266 Old 04-21-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Build a DIY sub. I just built a $56 Infinity 1260 sub this weekend that would stomp any $500 commercial subwoofer hard. You can't beat the bang for you buck. Grab a pair of 18" drivers and an iNuke to run them, it should cost after wood and glue less than your pb2000 and the quality and quantity of bass would be operating in a totally different territory. Are you trying to stay all sealed now ? Or would you want to convert to ported ?

I built three subs this weekend (I still need to finish them)
actually. One for $56+ wood and glue ($80 total) that is small and sealed for my office:

Cheap infinity 1260w driver from ebay. Really an awesome driver for such an amazing low price.

I used it another ported build, my own design (think marty cube)

This one is so efficient I just ran it with a $100 BASH plate amp (300 watts) I got from DIY soundgroup close out http://www.diysoundgroup.com/limitedsupply/lo-300-bash.html
An amazing amount of bass for that price.

I also built a large (42" tall 10 cubic feet) ported dual 15" box I need to finish up.

You could pick a nice driver and design something up way better than the sub you just returned for the same price. There is plenty of flat packs, and existing designs even if you wanted simple. Nothing too hard about an 18" driver in a sealed flat pack- You might like that better. If you feel like cutting your own wood, the box is pretty cheap to make. Sheet of MDF ($35) and a tube of PL PREMIUM ($5) is really all you need. I used my cordless bradnailer to hold the box together while the glue dries, but clamps work good too. smile.gif 1/4" or 1/2" round trim works great in the corners with construction adhesive for rigidity - GOD himself could not break that bond. eek.gif

-

post #203 of 266 Old 04-21-2014, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Looks good! I remember reading your thread you started about building a sub and those drivers were recommended. I have actually built a THT sub. And still have it in my garage. It is super huge and it doesnt go below 20hz, so I retired it.

When it comes to sealed and ported, I love both. I really like the tactical feel of a ported sub and I really like the low extension of a sealed sub so that is why I have both and the ported is behind the seats. Although, when I put the sealed sub behind the seats it was crazy tactical because it is a Cap S2. I was thinking about designing a sub to go the length of my seats kind of like Popalock did but ported. I just do not know how to design a sub.

- Leon Phelps
post #204 of 266 Old 04-21-2014, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I never posted a picture of my remote control I don't think. Here is a crappy pic of it. The three different areas on the remote can scroll down as you slide your finger on the iPad to reveal more buttons or options or more of the TV guide. I really like roomie remote so far for the time I have had it. Maybe coming up on a year now??

- Leon Phelps
post #205 of 266 Old 05-05-2014, 05:31 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 336

Great room very well done ;)

My humble Cinema
post #206 of 266 Old 05-06-2014, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Great room very well done wink.gif

Thanks! I would love to hear your room one day, but that probably won't happen being that you don't live close to me. mad.gif

- Leon Phelps
post #207 of 266 Old 05-18-2014, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I played around with a house curve and like it a lot more than flat! I boosted 25hz to 60hz because that is my favorite part of bass frequencies. I also took off the filter at the 5hz range too. Here is a before and after. Measurements were at the main listening position.

Tune that I did back in Feb. 2014

New tune implementing a house curve.

It may look worse going from the pictures, but I think it sounds a whole lot better!

Here are the rest of the speakers

- Leon Phelps
post #208 of 266 Old 05-18-2014, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 37
The remote looks bitchin. I'm jealous. IRule kinda blows.

The graphs look pretty damn good to me. I don't know if I am supposed to ask you this here without everybody getting offended and telling me to go research it in some thread with 100,000 posts in it but I figured since we're both from Texas you'll cut me some slack. What is the purpose of a house curve?

post #209 of 266 Old 05-18-2014, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 68

The graphs look great.  What are you using to adjust to the house curve?  Audyssey Pro?  MiniDSP?

The Moving Pictures Theater Construction Thread:

Houston GTG - Summer 2014

post #210 of 266 Old 05-18-2014, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post

The remote looks bitchin. I'm jealous. IRule kinda blows.

The graphs look pretty damn good to me. I don't know if I am supposed to ask you this here without everybody getting offended and telling me to go research it in some thread with 100,000 posts in it but I figured since we're both from Texas you'll cut me some slack. What is the purpose of a house curve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avtexan View Post

The graphs look great.  What are you using to adjust to the house curve?  Audyssey Pro?  MiniDSP?

Thanks neighbors!

JVoth....A house curve is basically what ever you want your speakers to sound like. " a house curve is perceived flat response as opposed to measured flat response". I am not a huge fan of a flat bass response and I love the areas that I bumped up. To me that is where you feel the movie a lot more in your chest such as guns shots and so on.

avtexan....I have Audyssey XT32 and I use a minidsp with a spec labs calibrated UMM-6 mic

- Leon Phelps
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Behringer , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , diy , Emotiva , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , jtr captivator s2 , lumagen radiance , Popcorn Hour A 400 Network Media Jukebox , Yamaha Rx V667 Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page