post #331 of 360 Old 02-09-2015, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
Update!

Finished the subs other than the UXL drivers are not installed. So for right now I have the SI HT18's in the boxes. I have not tuned them because I am going to wait for the UXL drivers, but they do have an audyssey cal on them that is for the S2. They sound great by themselves but definitely need a tune. When integrating them with my other subs, it sounds good, but I need to adjust delays as well as eq. Right now I have them running off one channel of a Peavy IPR2 7500 with a 4ohm load. I guess that is somewhere between 1000w to 1200w each. I also didn't take a lot of time to make them pretty because they will be hidden. I just painted them with flat black paint to make sure they don't show through the acoustic material.

Now you see them........

Now you don't.

Looks like it all came together great man!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 360 Old 02-09-2015, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Thank you for helping me run the cable for the subs! Made it so much easier and waaaaay faster!
post #333 of 360 Old 02-09-2015, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
No problem man, it didn't take long at all. Did you have Seymour cut your screen when you ordered it? Thinking I'm going with the XD as well.
post #334 of 360 Old 02-10-2015, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, because it was a DIY screen and I highly suggest your go with the XD material. I love everything about it and this is actually my second screen. The first screen was not AT and I can not tell the difference in brightness. They look exactly the same.
post #335 of 360 Old 02-10-2015, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Agree I love my XD DIY as well did you get the gromets like I did? It really made the screen tight and that way I new the materiel was also cut on the correct angle.
post #336 of 360 Old 02-10-2015, 11:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 1342
You need more subs man. You need a lot more subs.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #337 of 360 Old 02-10-2015, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
You need more subs man. You need a lot more subs.
Hahaha I know your joking but my house seriously can't take any more. I think that I am tapping out too and I don't even have my uxl drivers yet. Plus, I can't hide any more subs haha. When the s2 is gone and some uxl's in its spot, they will be hidden too.
post #338 of 360 Old 02-10-2015, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Don't be a pussy (arnold voice)

Fold up some horns for those drivers.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #339 of 360 Old 02-10-2015, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Don't be a pussy (arnold voice)

Fold up some horns for those drivers.
No thank you. I have had a horn sub in my theater before and they are huge and don't play low like I want. I already have it loud enough, and just trying to smooth it out between all of the seats which adding the two subs in the corner looks like it helped out a lot. I know that I will be completely satisfied when I tune them and integrate them with my other subs.

Question.....Would I be wasting my time tuning the SI drivers since they are going to be replaced by UXL drivers in the same box and same location? Shouldn't the response be about the same but with more SPL out of the UXL's?
post #340 of 360 Old 02-10-2015, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post
Agree I love my XD DIY as well did you get the gromets like I did? It really made the screen tight and that way I new the materiel was also cut on the correct angle.
No grommets, but I wished that I had them. I can see how it would make everything easier.
post #341 of 360 Old 02-10-2015, 02:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
No thank you. I have had a horn sub in my theater before and they are huge and don't play low like I want. I already have it loud enough, and just trying to smooth it out between all of the seats which adding the two subs in the corner looks like it helped out a lot. I know that I will be completely satisfied when I tune them and integrate them with my other subs.

Question.....Would I be wasting my time tuning the SI drivers since they are going to be replaced by UXL drivers in the same box and same location? Shouldn't the response be about the same but with more SPL out of the UXL's?
You on drugs? A Ghorn or the like would play equally loud at 10hz, but way louder at 20hz. Like way louder.
If you want a crazy design that's a bit easier to build let me know. I know a guy...

You are totally right on the size though. That can be a deal breaker. You could always just keep adding subs to get that SPL....

-

post #342 of 360 Old 02-10-2015, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yup...exactly what I did.

Building a ghorn is way to advanced for me to attempt. I though about it when I had my THT, but I am so glad that I never did. Too big, too heavy. Output is definitely not an issue in my theater. Hell, the S2 alone was more than enough for 99.99999% people on this planet, but I wanted inpact everywhere and a single ghorn is not capable of doing so. I would need them spread out all over the room and that is not possible.

I know you love horns and don't have much love for sealed, but I love sealed subs is there are multiples and you throw lots of power at them. I am addicted to those single digits and my theater is on the second floor, so I feel every bit of them. All Is Lost, the movie, sucked! But the ULF content was fantastic! It made the movie tolerable. This is just one example.
post #343 of 360 Old 02-10-2015, 05:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I like sealed subs. I just built one for myself.

But I also have two LMS ultra ready for me to do something totally silly like marry a DTS10 to a Ghorn design with a double 18" woofer build in a box so large you can use it for a casket. Imagine that. haha.

-

post #344 of 360 Old 02-10-2015, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I like sealed subs. I just built one for myself.

But I also have two LMS ultra ready for me to do something totally silly like marry a DTS10 to a Ghorn design with a double 18" woofer build in a box so large you can use it for a casket. Imagine that. haha.
That would be sick! Build thread or thread on the plan? That cab would have to be super huge. What do you think your tune would be like? Still waiting for your theater build thread.
post #345 of 360 Old 02-10-2015, 05:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
That would be sick! Build thread or thread on the plan? That cab would have to be super huge. What do you think your tune would be like? Still waiting for your theater build thread.
House plan guy was here Tuesday. I should have plans next week. When I pour the concrete I will start my theater build thread.
Two babies, and lots of problems have delayed my project.

No build thread on the sub yet. It's top secret. Soon.

-

post #346 of 360 Old 02-11-2015, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
House plan guy was here Tuesday. I should have plans next week. When I pour the concrete I will start my theater build thread.
Two babies, and lots of problems have delayed my project.

No build thread on the sub yet. It's top secret. Soon.

Not to mention this...........

post #347 of 360 Old 02-23-2015, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have got a lot of work done for my new subs. I finished the new cabs and now have all four done for the UXL18's. Bondo and sanded the edges, primed, and the two coats of 4X. The sanding sucked and my entire garage looked like a body shop. Dust everywhere! These cabs will be hidden too and will start on that next weekend, possibly. I have the stuffing purchased as well, but it is not in the pics. I also ran the speaker wire for these two subs, because the S2 only had a signal wire. These cabs are a lot bigger than the S2. The S2 had a lot of output for such a small footprint. Kinda impressive really!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	563809   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	563817   Click image for larger version

Name:	image8.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	563825   Click image for larger version

Name:	image9.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	563833   Click image for larger version

Name:	image10.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	563841  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image12.jpg
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	563849   Click image for larger version

Name:	image13.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	563857   Click image for larger version

Name:	image14.jpg
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	563865  
post #348 of 360 Old 02-23-2015, 02:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Image codes !

[img] and [/img]
post #349 of 360 Old 02-23-2015, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Image codes !

[img] and [/img]
I know, and I usually do, but I am at work and didn't feel like doing that for all of those pics. The funny thing is, that I though of you when I was being lazy and posting those pics lol.
post #350 of 360 Old 03-08-2015, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I found some LED's that I ordered a long time ago and forgot about and decided to do something with them. That also gave me something to do this weekend because of the terrible weather. I think that I am going to program the LED's to act like the lights in my theater. That is: Dim when a movie is selected. Turn off when movie is playing. Dim when movie is paused. Turn on when movie is stopped. I like total darkness in my theater when watching movies ( why I went black with everything) and the LED's can be distracting if the movie is on. Also, the screen picks up the color and I do not want it to compromise with the picture quality.

Crappy iPhone pics. Pics look good where there is light, but not when it is semi dark.

post #351 of 360 Old 03-08-2015, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have got a lot of work done for my new subs. I finished the new cabs and now have all four done for the UXL18's. Bondo and sanded the edges, primed, and the two coats of 4X. The sanding sucked and my entire garage looked like a body shop. Dust everywhere! These cabs will be hidden too and will start on that next weekend, possibly. I have the stuffing purchased as well, but it is not in the pics. I also ran the speaker wire for these two subs, because the S2 only had a signal wire. These cabs are a lot bigger than the S2. The S2 had a lot of output for such a small footprint. Kinda impressive really!

Those pictures look vaguely familiar..............................

Quads will really open your eyes!
post #352 of 360 Old 03-08-2015, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
Those pictures look vaguely familiar..............................

Quads will really open your eyes!
Luckily I only had to build two of them because I had the other two slim boxes bit for me. I am all ready to go for the UXL drivers. All wire ran, new amp and wired up, dsp wired up, etc. Should be just drop the drivers in and tune.
post #353 of 360 Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Love those LED's. I saw you won't be able to make it to the meet tonight. I was ready for some back and forth with you about football. Hopefully next time.

Man, I would love to hear all that bass one day. You're setup is ridiculous. Does it blur your vision and make you sore the next day or is it just a nice smooth effortless sound? I've never experienced anything like that in person. Unless you count, Metallica, Slayer and AC/DC of course. But I was in an arena for those and it beat you up from the inside out.
post #354 of 360 Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post
Love those LED's. I saw you won't be able to make it to the meet tonight. I was ready for some back and forth with you about football. Hopefully next time.

Man, I would love to hear all that bass one day. You're setup is ridiculous. Does it blur your vision and make you sore the next day or is it just a nice smooth effortless sound? I've never experienced anything like that in person. Unless you count, Metallica, Slayer and AC/DC of course. But I was in an arena for those and it beat you up from the inside out.

So you guys could talk about Chippy' acquisitions? Yeah, that guy has gone "Blue Light Special" on team.................................only time will tell if all works out!

You guys are lucky................so many AVS members in Houston area......................I'm hearing birds chirp in Oregon.
post #355 of 360 Old Yesterday, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post

Yea it sucks that I missed the meet. I just got home and am super tired. Football talk would have been nice, and to see somebody else opinion on what happened over free agency. My wife is more excited than I am actually and surprisingly.

You are more than welcome to come check out my theater. The bass is super clean effortless and not hard on my body or vision. I do run it hot, but my listening volumes are not crazy loud. I can easily do some damage if I wanted to, but that is not my intent at all. I just want super clean, even response that digs really deep without a lot of distortion. Need lots of sealed subs for that unfortunately. Hiding them is a chore too and makes placement limited. Those two empty cabs that I built will be hidden too once the UXL drivers arrive.
post #356 of 360 Old Yesterday, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
So you guys could talk about Chippy' acquisitions? Yeah, that guy has gone "Blue Light Special" on team.................................only time will tell if all works out!

You guys are lucky................so many AVS members in Houston area......................I'm hearing birds chirp in Oregon.

Yup...he is either a failure or a genius. I guess you can actually say that about any move though. I like most of it, but the second round pick involved in the Foles trade doesn't make sense. I wanted Mariota bad, but there was no logical way of getting him. I hope Bradford stays healthy and that will be the key to success. Looks like defense other than safety is improved a lot, especially linebackers and corners.

I can't remember, but I think that you are not a Chip Kelly fan because you are a USC fan???
post #357 of 360 Old Yesterday, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yup...he is either a failure or a genius. I guess you can actually say that about any move though. I like most of it, but the second round pick involved in the Foles trade doesn't make sense. I wanted Mariota bad, but there was no logical way of getting him. I hope Bradford stays healthy and that will be the key to success. Looks like defense other than safety is improved a lot, especially linebackers and corners.

I can't remember, but I think that you are not a Chip Kelly fan because you are a USC fan???
Not at all.......I respect Chippie......is a very good coach. He knocked my Trojans off the pinnacle.....but that has more to do with sanctions ie NCAA. Pete Carroll blew up Seahawk roster..........we all how that worked out.
post #358 of 360 Old Today, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Right, and I hope that the same happens with the Eagles. However, winning free agency does not go well sometimes. Look at the 2011 Eagles for example. I do believe that Chip is a better coach then Andy Reid so we will see how it goes.
post #359 of 360 Old Today, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Just wanted to drop in and say that this room is so much my style...even down to the Coaster Pavilions, which I enjoyed for a long time. Great room, and I see you're consistently making it even better with each upgrade!
post #360 of 360 Old Today, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Just wanted to drop in and say that this room is so much my style...even down to the Coaster Pavilions, which I enjoyed for a long time. Great room, and I see you're consistently making it even better with each upgrade!
Thanks a bunch Matt! I do remember you saying that you had them in The Beast Unleashed, but I don't remember seeing them in your last theater. Every day I check to see whats new in your build thread and I can't wait to see it finished. Like we discussed months ago, it would be really cool to experience your theater in person when you complete it.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Behringer , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , diy , Emotiva , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , jtr captivator s2 , lumagen radiance , Popcorn Hour A 400 Network Media Jukebox , Yamaha Rx V667 Receiver
Gear in this thread - 4520ci by PriceGrabber.com