Controllable Lighting and Construction - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 77 Old 04-21-2013, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
The only way to use the ethernet connection would be to run the cable through my walls down to the basement as the wireless router is on the second floor. But the signal doesn't lose any strength in the basement. The wireless global cache has to be pretty reliable though right.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 77 Old 04-21-2013, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Just fyi the Insteon sale ends tomorrow. And ISY products are not made by Insteon therefore they are not on sale. The ISY can be bought as a package deal with the Power Linc Modem. The Power Linc Modem is made by Insteon but you will not get the discount if you buy it as part of the package deal. So buy them separately if you want to receive the discount.

And another thing. Make sure that the discount was actually applied to your total. My checkout basket stated that is was applied but it was not reflected in the total so I had to call them to manually apply the discount.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #63 of 77 Old 04-21-2013, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

Just fyi the Insteon sale ends tomorrow. And ISY products are not made by Insteon therefore they are not on sale. The ISY can be bought as a package deal with the Power Linc Modem. The Power Linc Modem is made by Insteon but you will not get the discount if you buy it as part of the package deal. So buy them separately if you want to receive the discount.

And another thing. Make sure that the discount was actually applied to your total. My checkout basket stated that is was applied but it was not reflected in the total so I had to call them to manually apply the discount.

One thing that surprised me with this sale is it even applied the discount to sale priced items. I needed a few extra dimmers and they were on sale for $50.00. It even applied the discount to them, which it never has for me in the past. Combine that with free shipping over 50 bucks and it's a decent deal. I always wait to increase my Insteon collection until these sales come up.

I'd keep an eye open on Ebay for an ISY. I picked one up a few months ago for about 1/2 of a new one. I'd go with the pro as it allows control via IR. Took me a bit to figure out, but I finally got my MX900 setup to control all of my lighting. Very slick. If I hadn't already owned my 900 I probably would have gone the Irule route, but this works perfectly fine.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #64 of 77 Old 04-22-2013, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 22
So it's 20% off the listed prices?

Come see my Livin' the Dream build!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #65 of 77 Old 04-22-2013, 04:33 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 616
yes

PROJECTS:

post #66 of 77 Old 04-22-2013, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post

Wow! That is impressive. I have a Denon 3312ci which I believe I can control in much the same way. I will definitely hit you up if I can find time to start digging into it and have questions.

Just in case you are interested here is the command used in iRule for the Denon AVRs:

MV60\x0D

Replace 60 in the string above above for the desired volume level. I have a Denon 3313CI and a 3808CI and this command works for both and I have to say that I love this!
post #67 of 77 Old 04-23-2013, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 View Post

Just in case you are interested here is the command used in iRule for the Denon AVRs:

MV60\x0D

Replace 60 in the string above above for the desired volume level. I have a Denon 3313CI and a 3808CI and this command works for both and I have to say that I love this!

Thanks for the info xb. I have just started messing around with iRule and have basic control over my htpc. Next up is the Denon.

post #68 of 77 Old 04-24-2013, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #69 of 77 Old 05-07-2013, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anyone?

I'm just trying to get some lights towards the floor for walking and do not want wires and plugs exposed. I don't have room for any kind of soffit either...How are you guys doing this? From what I can tell all low voltage needs a hardwire box of some sort. Is this true? If so where are you guys placing your boxes at? in the wall?

post #70 of 77 Old 05-09-2013, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Pwease? With a cherry on top?

post #71 of 77 Old 05-10-2013, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I assume if the lights come with a remote then the codes can be learned and the lights controlled with iRule. See tutorial below.

http://support.iruleathome.com/customer/portal/articles/473957-tutorial-learning-commands-using-ir-learner

I haven't personally tried this but it looks fairly straight forward.

post #72 of 77 Old 05-10-2013, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Last time I checked into this type of lighting it was pretty expensive but it does have a wow factor. I was looking at the step nosing lights but they also have lights that run along the base of the wall to illuminate walkways.

http://www.lightbulbdistributor.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=128

http://www.lightbulbdistributor.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1891&idcategory=125

I don't know what kind of money you were looking to spend but I can tell you it won't be close to the $1.00 they list (not sure why they even have that on there). Very cool look though and you might be able to do something similar with the RGB LED strips that a lot of people (including myself) have used in their rooms.

If you do a base strip an outlet behind a couch near the start of the line could help you hide the wires and PS. Otherwise a junction box (with blank face plate) behind a fabric panel might be another way to go. Also, if you have access to the wall behind where you want to start the lighting you might be able to do everything on the opposite side of the wall and then punch your power wire through to the other side and start your lights. Probably not the most code friendly way to do it and should be used as a last resort. Hope this helps some.

post #73 of 77 Old 05-11-2013, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Vanice thanks for the reply and links. I don't need long runs at all, maybe 10 feet total, 5 feet on each side of the seating along the walls so this might be a good solution for me.. You mention a junction box face plate. Forgive my very limited knowledge when it comes to Electrical. Do the lights get hardwired to this junction box plate on the other side of the wall then come through this blank face plate to start the light run? Could this be controlled through a light switch?

post #74 of 77 Old 05-11-2013, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

This stuff is really expensive even in short lengths so be prepared. Thought it might give you an idea of what can be done off the shelf or what you could try and match DIY.

By junction box I was talking about making a hardwire connection and covering the box with a blank faceplate all on the theater side. You could then pop through the faceplate to the beginning of your light strip. You just need to leave yourself access because you are not supposed to bury a junction box. I don't know how these would connect so you would have to check with them. My guess is you should be able to connect these to a switch pretty easily. If they are like my LED lights then you could install a switch on the other side of the wall (that is controlled by a switch), plug in your power supply, and then run your connection through the wall connecting to the lights on the other side. This would be my last suggestion for install though as it is not necessarily PC as far as code is concerned.

post #75 of 77 Old 06-09-2013, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #76 of 77 Old 06-10-2013, 05:54 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 616
I always install step lights in the steps and hard wire to a wall switch. The ones I use come with a small Christmas tree bulb. I've used Insteon dimming wall switches to control them. You fit them in a single gang box

http://www.wayfair.com/Royal-Pacific-Mini-Step-Light-in-White-8905WH-RYP2559.html

IMG_8887.jpg

PROJECTS:

post #77 of 77 Old 06-10-2013, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well it would have to be wired inside a wall these lights, if that's no problem then I may just get these. I'm guessing you can have more than 1 of these lights hardwired to 1 Insteon light switch? Would you by chance have a picture of these working when the room is dark. They're not too distracting are they?

Also, where I would want it, there is already 12/2 wire going to a 1 gang box right now for an outlet...

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page