post #271 of 453 Old 08-29-2013, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

I'd just let it ride and let the builder do their thing, otherwise you are probably looking at a change fee and extra labor and material costs.

You can always tear it down when you are ready. For me, I tore down the insulation and with the help of my brother removed the plastic vapor barrier and tape so I was essentially left with unfaced R19. I then re-purposed that material for the basement ceiling (outside the theater) so sound won't transfer as readily between the basement and first floor once the man cave is up and running.

I meant tear it down after close - but if that's code won't the inspectors flag that if I tear it down?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 453 Old 08-29-2013, 06:25 AM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 238
If the house is closed that means the inspectors are done with it and that you are now a man of your own castle. The only time inspectors would be back is when you go to pull the permit for finishing out your basement. But even then it will be treated like a renovation and it is probably expected that you will be making the electrical, plumbing, insulation and other systems adapt to the newly-configured space.
post #273 of 453 Old 08-29-2013, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 204
When I pulled permits and started on my space, the first inspection was to verify insulation. I would point out that TMcG replaced his insulation with closed cell foam, unless I'm mistaken. So I don't think the recommendation is to remove the insulation and not replace it with an equivalent product. Closed cell foam is a great option because it takes up less space, provides a vapor barrier when applied at the correct thickness, and does not support mold growth. In my neck of the woods, a vapor barrier is not required, but I would be willing to bet that in your region it is a code requirement.

Your contractor should be installing a waterproofing system on the exterior of your house. There are lots of options for this. I went with a three part system that applied a spray on membrane, then a dimpled mat, and followed that with a drainage board. BTW, my builder ate the costs on the upgrade to this system without me even asking him to. Again, you need a good builder. If I had to guess, I would bet your builder will either go with a spray on membrane and some sort of insulation to protect it during back fill, or possibly just use a dimpled mat. Either will require a french drain at the footing.

However, this brings a question to mind. I seem to remember you having a sump pump in your basement. If your lot has the grade that you say, I'm a little surprised they are putting one in. I would think it would be cheaper to just run the drains to daylight on the back of your property. It's less equipment to fail since it's gravity driven. And let's face it, if gravity fails we're not going to be worried about one flooded basement!

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #274 of 453 Old 08-30-2013, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

say hello to the Williams Family Home Theater...

post #275 of 453 Old 08-31-2013, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

However, this brings a question to mind. I seem to remember you having a sump pump in your basement. If your lot has the grade that you say, I'm a little surprised they are putting one in. I would think it would be cheaper to just run the drains to daylight on the back of your property. It's less equipment to fail since it's gravity driven. And let's face it, if gravity fails we're not going to be worried about one flooded basement!

Except for the part where all of NWI is a giant swamp so you can never be too careful.

sounds like the closed cell foam will be the way to go across that side wall (pictured above).

thinking more and more that theater will have to run along the short wall instead of the long wall. Those HVAC vents are just going to be too problematic along the long wall. I'll have pictures in a couple weeks to show you what I mean or rewind a few pages and watch the videos.
post #276 of 453 Old 08-31-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post

say hello to the Williams Family Home Theater...

Someone forgot an entrance? cool.gifbiggrin.gif
JRock3x8 likes this.

Under construction: the Larch theater
post #277 of 453 Old 09-03-2013, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

plenty of cursing today...this from Comcast :

"I just received an update from our construction team that unfortunately, we do not have plans to bring service to your area at this time. I truly apologize for any inconvenience this may cause."

CRAP.

I'm still chasing them - I will have a neighbor about 200' away to the West who may have cable service - will push them hard to wire me up to the same junction if that's true.

I won't do DirecTV again - I had such a bad experience with them before where they robbed me rather badly that I will never go back. I've tried U-Verse and I get the stock "this address is not supported".

So it might be Blu-Rays only for me for a while. Luckily, I am overdosing on Comcast Video on Demand right now... but not having the NFL RedZone channel on Sundays is going to make me very very sad.

also am I just not seeing Midwest / Chicago theaters on this forum? I know I've seen a couple in the Indianapolis area but I can't recall seeing a single Chicago build.
post #278 of 453 Old 09-03-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I feel for you. We went from U-Verse at our old house to Dish at our new house. It really sux! I've talked to all the cable and internet providers in our area and it just isn't going to happen. Like you, there are people around 300 feet away that have cable and cable internet, but they won't add anyone else. I asked what it would cost to have our sub division added. $75k. Needless to say, I passed on that.

post #279 of 453 Old 09-03-2013, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

I feel for you. We went from U-Verse at our old house to Dish at our new house. It really sux! I've talked to all the cable and internet providers in our area and it just isn't going to happen. Like you, there are people around 300 feet away that have cable and cable internet, but they won't add anyone else. I asked what it would cost to have our sub division added. $75k. Needless to say, I passed on that.

This is all going to be fairly expensive houses in our subdivision and likely $200 a month bills. I think they would be foolish not to do it.

How many houses for $75k?

Framing starts late this week!
post #280 of 453 Old 09-03-2013, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is all going to be fairly expensive houses in our subdivision and likely $200 a month bills. I think they would be foolish not to do it.

How many houses for $75k?

Framing starts late this week!

Lots. That was essentially what it would cost to upgrade the nearest node to allow more users. It would allow them to add not only to our subdivision, but also other subdivisions out here. They're working off a 5 year ROI, and they estimated 7 to 8 IIRC.

post #281 of 453 Old 09-04-2013, 02:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

went to the lot again last night, site is nearly fully graded, gravel is down for driveway and front walk - roof lumber is sitting at the foot of the drive. met some new neighbors last night - lovely couple with a young daughter - reminded me so much of my baby girl who is now 11 (how did that happen?)
post #282 of 453 Old 09-06-2013, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

we have walls! this is my wife's crummy iphone photo

iphone pic by jcwillia1, on Flickr
post #283 of 453 Old 09-06-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Nice. I see some slope, is that the one mentioned before?

post #284 of 453 Old 09-06-2013, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post

Nice. I see some slope, is that the one mentioned before?

you aint seen nothing yet smile.gif

my photos of the backyard really show off the slope. so the bottom of the kitchen sliding glass door is at chest height for me and I'm 6'1" so yah there is some MAJOR front to back slope.
post #285 of 453 Old 09-06-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

You could've hid some extra basement under the hill...

post #286 of 453 Old 09-06-2013, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

You could've hid some extra basement under the hill...

don't get me started on that...not that I would have wanted it, but this could have EASILY been a walkout basement.

the good side of going with a spec builder is you get very very specific choices with (mostly) very well defined choices.

the bad side of going with a spec builder is that they just don't flex, even on very reasonable requests like deep pour basements - whatever smile.gif it will all work out
post #287 of 453 Old 09-06-2013, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
This looks like a great build. Sub'd

An Aspen Woods Theater - Under Construction

post #288 of 453 Old 09-06-2013, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:

don't get me started on that...not that I would have wanted it, but this could have EASILY been a walkout basement.

the good side of going with a spec builder is you get very very specific choices with (mostly) very well defined choices.

the bad side of going with a spec builder is that they just don't flex, even on very reasonable requests like deep pour basements - whatever smile.gif it will all work out

I have a hard time letting someone else decide/dictate what my house should be designed like or be outfitted with........just saying;)

Spec homes are cost effective for a reason...........
post #289 of 453 Old 09-06-2013, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

I have a hard time letting someone else decide/dictate what my house should be designed like or be outfitted with........just saying;)

Spec homes are cost effective for a reason...........

we werent in a fortunate enough position to be able to afford a custom house, especially with rates rising so fast.

more pics...

basement (sadly not all of that will be available for the theater...)

front of house

back of house from lot corner - mound of dirt is blocking your view of the grading from front to back but you can see how high off the ground the back sliding door is but in case your sense of scale is lacking the distance form the ground to the bottom of the sliding door is basically chest high
post #290 of 453 Old 09-06-2013, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

we werent in a fortunate enough position to be able to afford a custom house, especially with rates rising so fast.

more pics...

basement (sadly not all of that will be available for the theater...)

front of house

back of house from lot corner - mound of dirt is blocking your view of the grading from front to back but you can see how high off the ground the back sliding door is but in case your sense of scale is lacking the distance form the ground to the bottom of the sliding door is basically chest high

Sorry, my comment sounded insensitive........it's that you are paying a bit of money to have your home built........

Either way ie. spec or custom, your builder should should be more accommodating to your wishes. I hate to see homeowners bow to will of builder. IMHO, it should be the other way around. It's been a tough economy the last 4-5 years....one would think your builder should be proactive regarding your needs.
post #291 of 453 Old 09-07-2013, 11:13 AM

Liked: 14
This may already be answered, but I don't want to skip through the rest of this thread as I read the posts. Being in HVAC, I can tell you it's zero clearance for the sides and back. Front is 24". At least that's what is code for Ontario Canada. The front is for service access. Sorry if this has been addressed already.

Enjoying your thread, as I'm in a similar spot getting a fair bit ahead of myself. Subscribed!

Oops.. I also realize I forgot to quote your post for the reply. I'm speaking of your clearance question about the furnace if it's not super obvious! smile.gif
post #292 of 453 Old 09-07-2013, 11:24 AM

Clearly I'm new to the internet and forums! frown.gif Forgot to quote this one too. Post sorta speaks for itself but it was in regards to you saying the site super will make contractors change things if they are done "different"

I have seen this happen when it comes to the homeowner going in and pre running cat5 and speaker wire, and for sure electrical and things like this. However, the builder is not the one doing all the trade work. There will be an HVAC company out to do that work. When they bid on the job with the builder they are just bidding on the general scope of work. Every framer will frame the house slightly different. No 2 homes will end up being exactly the same where plumbing lines, and hvac runs are. Hell the HVAC guys won't even have a set plan for the builder other than WHERE the furnace will actually sit, the ducting, and venting will all be left to them. I HIGHLY doubt if you go either directly to the HVAC contractor, or be on site when the guys are there and ask for them to take a little more specific care as to where ducts are run there will be an issue. Of course you'll have to throw them a little cash. This is beyond common practice. The builder (supervisor) would not know one way or another as there will not even be a specific plan laid out. Don't let the builder try to scare you with BS.
post #293 of 453 Old 09-07-2013, 11:28 AM

Also, don't assume the joists will necessarily be the same direction. It can vary. Same goes for where plumbing is, and ducts and vents, or electrical.
post #294 of 453 Old 09-07-2013, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Nighthawk, I don't think it will be different - these guys are super duper rigid on how they build houses. almost to the point of being mass production style.
post #295 of 453 Old 09-08-2013, 02:05 AM
AVS Special Member

My house is mass production style. All the wall arrived close to finished on a truck and were lifted in place by truck and locked down. Just electrics and wallpaper left to do, the windows were already in. But I still managed to have them swap placement of doors and windows around, I prefer exiting to garden from kitchen rather than through living room. The foundation was cast first, but the day house arrived it was fully up in the evening minus the roof tiles. So it was just the interior stuff that took time here. I'm quite amazed that they still do framing only first over there.

Mine wasn't even the most advanced preproduction, some houses are built in truck-wide cross sections that are just placed next to eachover and connected and the single pieces of wallpaper needed to cover added on site. No house in the morning, completed one by night.

post #296 of 453 Old 09-08-2013, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My house is mass production style. All the wall arrived close to finished on a truck and were lifted in place by truck and locked down. Just electrics and wallpaper left to do, the windows were already in. But I still managed to have them swap placement of doors and windows around, I prefer exiting to garden from kitchen rather than through living room. The foundation was cast first, but the day house arrived it was fully up in the evening minus the roof tiles. So it was just the interior stuff that took time here. I'm quite amazed that they still do framing only first over there.

Mine wasn't even the most advanced preproduction, some houses are built in truck-wide cross sections that are just placed next to eachover and connected and the single pieces of wallpaper needed to cover added on site. No house in the morning, completed one by night.

Now I know why I bought an Asko dishwasher!!! smile.gif
post #297 of 453 Old 09-10-2013, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

hey that is starting to look like a house!

post #298 of 453 Old 09-10-2013, 02:55 AM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Looks like it's coming right along! It is always a big milestone to get the house under roof and weather-tight. Probably another 2 months or so before you are in, right?

Congrats to you and your family...it looks like a nice place to live.
post #299 of 453 Old 09-10-2013, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

thanks, my wife said she was squealing like a little girl when she took that picture yesterday.

this has long been a dream for us - we're _loving_ every moment of it right now.

Two months almost to the day, yes.
post #300 of 453 Old 09-10-2013, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

It's amazing how fast the framing happens! Our builder warned us that there would be lots of progress initially that's easy to see. The framing, that is, but once the work moves inside it will feel like everything is crawling!

Glad you guys are excited! Just keep that in mind as everything is moving forward. Building a house really should be fun.

Keep the photos coming!

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page