post #451 of 480 Old 07-18-2014, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post
I would suggest that you also take a look at Accessories4Less for your receivers. Others on the forum have had issues with the products they've received from them, but I have not. Caveat emptor, but you can get some good deals on refurbished items.

Nice - that sounds like it's right up my alley - appreciate the tip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 480 Old 07-19-2014, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

my wife built and hung my projector mount and we are in business.

I can sit 10' away from a 10' wide screen without getting my head in the picture.

Next step is to build a riser or maybe a couple risers to test second row heights.

this pic is a bit more than 180 degrees.

post #453 of 480 Old 07-27-2014, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok so I played around a bit more with my plans this weekend. The problem I just can't get around is these damn ducts. The ducts combined with the drain pipe are pushing my ceiling down fully 4 feet from the wall.

I've moved/narrowed the riser to compensate but I still don't really like the result. Plus now I'm not sure where to put the middle channel speakers in a 7 speaker systems. One of those speakers is going to be pointing right into someone's ear.

The red line is where the low ceiling stops.

post #454 of 480 Old 08-03-2014, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

vacation weekend for me on Kelleys Island, OH. We're still trying to work out the riser.

As of right now, we'll be building a test riser with 2x12's and 3/4" plywood. It probably just gets tossed at the end of all this so I'm not freaking out about roofing felt and insulation or whatever else just trying to get a read on head clearance especially over by the ducts.

---------------------

so thinking ahead a bit is it a bad thing to use really low gauge (thick) speaker wire with sort of crappy speakers? I will want to start cheap and upgrade equipment as I go so the idea occurs to me to future proof the room where cost allows. Should I be running two sets of speaker wires (low gauge and high gauge?) for use when I transition from the sort of entry level systems to something with a bit more punch?
post #455 of 480 Old 08-05-2014, 02:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

so I've discovered that the "problem" HVAC vent which is killing my head room is a single return to the living room. And the drain pipe is again a single source.

I have more hope than ever that both of those could be relocated.
post #456 of 480 Old 08-05-2014, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
so I've discovered that the "problem" HVAC vent which is killing my head room is a single return to the living room. And the drain pipe is again a single source.

I have more hope than ever that both of those could be relocated.
Do you need them at all?

Under construction: the Larch theater
post #457 of 480 Old 08-05-2014, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post
Do you need them at all?
I assume you're joking, but yes I think the return air vent does significantly improve the circulation of the first floor. I just need to figure out how to make it work without destroying my theater. And obviously we need the drain pipe but that seems far easier to "rewire" so that it doesn't get in the way.
post #458 of 480 Old 08-05-2014, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I assume you're joking, but yes I think the return air vent does significantly improve the circulation of the first floor. I just need to figure out how to make it work without destroying my theater. And obviously we need the drain pipe but that seems far easier to "rewire" so that it doesn't get in the way.
Not really, I don't have any return air vents, so I wouldn't know what they're good for. air goes in through the slits on the windows and out through the heat exchanger, that's it.

post #459 of 480 Old 08-05-2014, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Not really, I don't have any return air vents, so I wouldn't know what they're good for. air goes in through the slits on the windows and out through the heat exchanger, that's it.
I've had numerous people comment to me how comfortable our house feels and I'm sure that is in no small part due to our return vents. But that second vent and drain pipe is ruining my theater as it is reducing headroom to 7' fully 4' from the wall on the one side.
post #460 of 480 Old 08-09-2014, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Went to a "real" theater today and the trapezoidal geometry of the preshow was almost unwatchable. Sigh. Cant get it built fast enough.
post #461 of 480 Old 08-25-2014, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

i have officially lost my mind.

I bought 2 incredibly ugly (but Sealy... so comfortable) couches for $100 and a 5.1 TEAC system (DON'T ASK) for $100 (they wanted $150)

and so my (mock) theater is only missing a proper projector and a riser for the couch.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (216.9 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by JRock3x8; 08-25-2014 at 05:44 AM.
post #462 of 480 Old 08-25-2014, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Just buy two very large blankets (bedcovers/whatever) that's large enough to cover them and you're all set and possibly even more cozy.

post #463 of 480 Old 08-25-2014, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just buy two very large blankets (bedcovers/whatever) that's large enough to cover them and you're all set and possibly even more cozy.
oh i forgot the best part about the couches! they came from a smokers house and everyone in our house has colds so we can't stand the smell of them!!!!

XD XD XD

I've officially lost my mind!

oh and the surround sound receiver setup came from a family FORTY minutes from my house and where normally I like to be calm and not do anything after dinner on Sunday, I drove out there paid for it and picked it up!

You guys DID NOT TELL ME that this theater stuff was going to lead to MENTAL ILLNESS!!!
quamosa likes this.
post #464 of 480 Old 08-25-2014, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

You guys DID NOT TELL ME that this theater stuff was going to lead to MENTAL ILLNESS!!!
For some, it actually starts there.
JRock3x8 and Nightlord like this.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #465 of 480 Old 08-25-2014, 07:56 AM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 279
True. One minute you are enjoying dinner with friends when your mind suddenly begins to wander about the reflective properties of white Spandex.

Give it five years and you'll be telling all of your friends what a difference cryogenically treated electrical receptacles make in improving the audio quality of your system.
JRock3x8 and BllDo like this.
post #466 of 480 Old 08-25-2014, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok you guys are starting to scare me a bit with that talk but I do like white spandex...

Serious question :

http://www.cnet.com/products/teac-ag...channel/specs/

I bought this receiver last night and all 6 speakers for $100 last night - probably overpaid a bit but they made me feel like a heel when they said they needed cash to pay medical bills so I just went with it (the poor woman was wearing a blanket despite the fact that it was 80+ and humid out).

Question - I still have a fair amount of 18 gauge speaker wire from my last project - can I use that with this system or do I need to go to something a bit more robust?

I also will need some makeshift speaker stands. Hm. Will have to think about that one.
post #467 of 480 Old 08-25-2014, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 30
A receiver with no hdmi?
post #468 of 480 Old 08-25-2014, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

If I guess all speakers are "small", then 18 gauge is slightly more than what I wire my surrounds for. Big fronts and subwoofer would need more. Range 11-14 somewhere. Distance is the key here.

post #469 of 480 Old 08-25-2014, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
oh i forgot the best part about the couches! they came from a smokers house and everyone in our house has colds so we can't stand the smell of them!!!!
Same deal with the theater seats I bought. I think the previous owner smoked a pack every hour. They were terrible. I tried a bunch of different cleaners, nothing got the smell out for more than a couple days until I used Orange TKO. It worked wonders. I sprayed it on, let it soak in and dry. Then the next day I did the same thing. And I haven't smelled smoke since.

http://www.amazon.com/TKO-Orange-Tko...rds=orange+tko

I barely used 10% of the bottle for 2 theater recliners. You'll want to spray it up underneath as well. Should do the trick so you can use the comfy couches until you're at the new furniture stage of your build.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #470 of 480 Old 08-25-2014, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
Same deal with the theater seats I bought. I think the previous owner smoked a pack every hour. They were terrible. I tried a bunch of different cleaners, nothing got the smell out for more than a couple days until I used Orange TKO. It worked wonders. I sprayed it on, let it soak in and dry. Then the next day I did the same thing. And I haven't smelled smoke since.

http://www.amazon.com/TKO-Orange-Tko...rds=orange+tko

I barely used 10% of the bottle for 2 theater recliners. You'll want to spray it up underneath as well. Should do the trick so you can use the comfy couches until you're at the new furniture stage of your build.
thanks my wife sprayed vinegar and water on it in addition to a crapload of febreze. Then we left it in the garage for an hour or so before moving it downstairs.

Either way, I'm not planning to keep this stuff for more than a couple years. This is just to "mock up" the theater until we have the money to properly finish it. But based on my projections that will be circa Spring 2016 unless I decide I don't really need money and just want to blow it all Selling my old house would certainly help with that.
post #471 of 480 Old 08-25-2014, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post
A receiver with no hdmi?
again, this is A TEMPORARY solution - but yes... berate me if you must

The only connection I need is the optical in. The sellers tried to push a ton of wires on me and I told them no. They had every imaginable CATV cord, RCA cables, component cables but I didn't see any optical cables in their rats nest of a collection - plus I have a ton of optical cables from Monoprice over the years.

Again, I said I overpaid for it...I initially bid $60 for the whole setup including speakers but they wouldn't go for it.

because of the size of the room, I didn't want to deal with traditional HTIB proprietary plugs.

Also my wife doesn't like a ton of volume or as Jeff says "bass that will rattle your pant legs".

I did some reading on speaker gauge wires - seems like a HEAVILY loaded question. I will go with the 18 gauge if I have enough. If not, I'll buy something a bit more robust especially for the subwoofer.

Thanks for the tips.

Also I think the wire that came with the subwoofer was 18 gauge or possibly less but power was never a high mark of this system.
post #472 of 480 Old 08-25-2014, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

It's just that even a couple of years ago, I was able to pick up a couple of open boxed hdmi av 3d receivers from Best Buy for under $100. Cheap but fully functional.

Last edited by Sonyad; 08-25-2014 at 06:09 PM.
post #473 of 480 Old 08-26-2014, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's just that even a couple of years ago, I was able to pick up a couple of open boxed hdmi av 3d receivers from Best Buy for under $100. Cheap but fully functional.
with 5 speakers + Sub? I didn't see that deal - and I've been looking for 2 months or so.
post #474 of 480 Old 08-26-2014, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

No, just the receiver itself. The deal wasn't posted, I was just scrounging around my local Best Buys and seeing what they had available. Since I'm using 3d projectors, and the kids have their game consoles, I want the receiver up to the job without too many add ons.

However I overlooked that you got speakers and a subwoofer which makes the deal golden. What brand are they?
post #475 of 480 Old 08-26-2014, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 75
That looks like a pretty solid deal to me. I used a receiver with no HDMIs for a long time. I was using a 720p projector at the time and component was just fine.

It seems to me like a smart strategy to take your time and think things through. Danger of course is that usually when the PJ is hung, all progress stops.

Thanks for posting your progress.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #476 of 480 Old 08-26-2014, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
No, just the receiver itself. The deal wasn't posted, I was just scrounging around my local Best Buys and seeing what they had available. Since I'm using 3d projectors, and the kids have their game consoles, I want the receiver up to the job without too many add ons.

However I overlooked that you got speakers and a subwoofer which makes the deal golden. What brand are they?
Again, cringe if you must The brand is TEAC which I view as sort of a "budget/value" player in the home audio space.

I haven't hooked it up yet but the subwoofer is heavy as hell which I take as a good sign

Quote:
It seems to me like a smart strategy to take your time and think things through. Danger of course is that usually when the PJ is hung, all progress stops.
2 things - #1 thank you - I've noticed while reading this forum for a year and a half that the people who seem to enjoy their theaters the most are the ones who have built multiple theaters. I'm trying to mimic that process in the cheapest way possible. The one issue I have with all of the planning tools available (Sketchup, etc) is that they don't do a good enough job of showing you how the finished product will "feel" when you're in it. So instead of mocking it up in a software tool, I'm mocking it up in my basement.

#2 progress stoppage is actually a planned event while the piggy bank fills up to pay the carpenters/electricians/etc. Another thing I've convinced myself of is that I am not going to be doing much work myself at least until the drywall is up and finished. I can build stuff like wall panels and other simple stuff like that. I have no confidence in my ability to handle structural or electrical matters correctly. Also I'm a perfectionist so not knowing how to hide my mistakes would bug the hell out of me.

Last edited by JRock3x8; 08-26-2014 at 10:02 AM.
post #477 of 480 Old 08-26-2014, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That looks like a pretty solid deal to me. I used a receiver with no HDMIs for a long time. I was using a 720p projector at the time and component was just fine.

Thanks for posting your progress.
My brain must be on meltdown because I thought the OP had an Optoma HD25 and game consoles where he could benefit hdmi connectivity and quality.
post #478 of 480 Old 08-26-2014, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Again, cringe if you must The brand is TEAC which I view as sort of a "budget/value" player in the home audio space.

I haven't hooked it up yet but the subwoofer is heavy as hell which I take as a good sign
I'm not a speaker snob at all. Just wondering if you managed to get some real gems.
post #479 of 480 Old 08-26-2014, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm not a speaker snob at all. Just wondering if you managed to get some real gems.
i don't think so - I also am not the person who could tell you a "real gem" from a driver you found laying bare in the alley with a busted coil
post #480 of 480 Old 08-26-2014, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
My brain must be on meltdown because I thought the OP had an Optoma HD25 and game consoles where he could benefit hdmi connectivity and quality.
you must be mixing threads or maybe I said that was my target at one point. I have a Playtime PT100 hunk of poo as my projector hooked to an XBox 360 and/or laptop that I am switching by hand

It's a ferociously ugly setup but the point (right now) is not for me to get super enjoyment out of watching movies but to find out what will and what won't work with the projector about where it is and couches and risers and all that fun stuff.

Also - I neglected to mention I had the company that did our duct work out to the house today and they are going to bid on moving the return air duct to the other side of the house. Fingers crossed.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page