post #511 of 520 Old 09-14-2014, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post
It doesn't disturb her as much while she surfs facebook on her telephone?
hahahha, touche!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 520 Old 09-14-2014, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

watched Cleveland nip New Orleans on RedZone today - that was satisfying on soooooo many levels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #513 of 520 Old 09-15-2014, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

in the absence of a full on riser (just as a temporary measure mind you), what do you guys think of this :

http://www.amazon.com/Simplify-2998-...keywords=riser

post #514 of 520 Old 09-16-2014, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

maybe posting a picture will bring some comments...

post #515 of 520 Old 09-16-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 79
How high do you need to go? My concern about them would be stability and the couch tipping off the risers. Also, the reviews seem to suggest the durability isn't that great.
Could you just bang together a couple 2x4s with some scrap plywood on top? You might even find enough in the cull lumber area at Big Orange to do this for a couple bucks. Just my .02.

Edit: what about just getting a couple cinder blocks. Those are cheap.
Edit2: You can often find pallets on CL for free. A couple of those or a couple stacked would likely get you high enough and have a stable platform.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?

Last edited by BllDo; 09-16-2014 at 11:14 AM.
post #516 of 520 Old 09-16-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Or if you know you'll need a few sheets of plywood or something eventually, you could just go ahead and buy them. Just set the furniture on a stack of sheet goods.
post #517 of 520 Old Yesterday, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post
How high do you need to go? My concern about them would be stability and the couch tipping off the risers. Also, the reviews seem to suggest the durability isn't that great.
Could you just bang together a couple 2x4s with some scrap plywood on top? You might even find enough in the cull lumber area at Big Orange to do this for a couple bucks. Just my .02.

Edit: what about just getting a couple cinder blocks. Those are cheap.
Edit2: You can often find pallets on CL for free. A couple of those or a couple stacked would likely get you high enough and have a stable platform.
love the pallet idea. I agree that these don't look great. and lo and behold there appears to be free pallets in my area on CL so I've reached out to them.

So this is where I get a lot of hate mail from people I don't do any of my own DIY work unless its something I really understand well and if there's one thing I don't get at all, it's wood working. Plus we have absolutely zero tools for cutting wood at my house. Obviously that needs to change but for now that's where we're at. So I tend to seek out solutions that require a minimum of work until I can pay someone to do it right.

What's funny is that my wife doesn't mind doing the work at all, making our marriage the flip of most couples.

post #518 of 520 Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post

I broke the rule that every single build thread talk about - don't buy the projector...

...I feel like a failure for giving in on the projector though
Don't feel too bad. Your're not the only one.

For several reasons, I had to settle for a two phase approach to our theater project.

Phase I was to include removing a wood burning stove and its platform, certain lighting changes, a riser, paint, carpet, and setting up a nearly new 65" plasma display on the wall where the screen will eventually go.

Phase II, once I save up the money (again ) for more extensive remodeling, would be to replace existing walls and ceiling using currently accepted sound isolation methods, installing better lighting, building a false wall with AT screen, installing screen and projector, upgrading some or all of my audio equipment, and some lighting and AV control system yet to be determined.

But here's where I screwed up: We turned on the display before the rest of the room was completed.

Last December we accelerated our work on Phase I to accommadate various contractors' schedules in the attempt to get the room usable during a Christmas party and a family visit over the holidays. We ended up getting all of Phase I done in time except for the track lighting, rope lighting on the riser, and touching up the paint from where the carpet installers and volunteer wood stove platform removal helper scuffed up a few spots. (Damage wouldn't have happened if we'd painted AFTER the platform was removed, like any sensible person would have done)

Anyway, it's been nine months since we first used the room in it's Phase .8 configuration. Still no rope or track lighting installed. All of the materials and equipment have been on hand the whole time.

Worse yet, it's now (American ) football season. I'm going to have to really ratchet up my commitment to get the lighting done any time soon.

Good luck!

Kevin
post #519 of 520 Old Yesterday, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
in the absence of a full on riser (just as a temporary measure mind you), what do you guys think of this :

http://www.amazon.com/Simplify-2998-...keywords=riser
You can get replacement feet for your sofa. That would give a cleaner look and would be far safer I would think. I found a few on amazon of different sizes. I'm considering using these over building a second mini riser.

My First Build Ever (which just so happens to be a theater!) (In progress)

post #520 of 520 Old Today, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

looks like the free wood pallets are no longer available - bummer, i really liked that idea.

I think I have a track on a cheap stereo rack though. Should get that this weekend.

Gotta start rethinking my wiring - Currently spending a ton of time plugging and unplugging things.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page