Shermer Theater - Page 21 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 28Likes
post #601 of 628 Unread 03-06-2015, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douce33 View Post
Spandex stretches quite a bit, (obviously you dont want to stretch it too much) but how large a screen do you want, 60" of height would give you a fairly large screen (122" diag. 16:9 screen without stretch, and 153" diag. 2.35:1 screen withouth stretch)
my screen is 150" 16:9 - it's probably 6.5' tall - I'm not willing to go that much smaller on my screen

are those 120" rolls not suitable for screens?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 628 Unread 03-06-2015, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
my screen is 150" 16:9 - it's probably 6.5' tall - I'm not willing to go that much smaller on my screen

Unfortunately I dont know enough about those materials to comment and I'd hate to give you the "go-ahead" only to have it not work out.
I'm sure if you post your questions in the thread that I linked to previously, you'll get some answers from people that have the appropriate knowledge.

Regards,

Douce

post #603 of 628 Unread 03-06-2015, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Shermer Theater

Quote:

From what I've read, the 120" wide spandex from SpandexWorld is only 2-way stretch. You need the 4-way stretch.

I've remember someone had found 120" 4-way stretch spandex from another site, but I never saw their results.

I'm sure the kind people over on the DIY screen forum could help you more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by ADAIR; 03-06-2015 at 12:19 PM.
post #604 of 628 Unread 03-06-2015, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Shermer Theater

Also this thread might answer some questions as to if 60" wide spandex will stretch enough.

60" wide Milliskin/Moleskin stretch to 74" for a 151" screen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JRock3x8 likes this.
post #605 of 628 Unread 03-06-2015, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 188
One guy over here tested spandex and his results seems to indicate that you don't want to stretch it any more than needed to stay straight. Stretching to fit a larger frame... No.
If you're aiming for acostically transparent if becomes no-no.

Under construction: the Larch theater
post #606 of 628 Unread 03-09-2015, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

got my PJ back today - wasn't the same one I gave them but it's fixed.

looks great - no dead pixel!
post #607 of 628 Unread 03-13-2015, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I hesitate to mention this because I dont want to set unrealistic assumptions but when benq took my w1070 back to repair my dead pixel problem they replaced it with a different unit with a brand new bulb. So they probably ended up saving me a few bucks on six months of bulb use.

Needless to say I'm very happy but I did ask them and they said this is not standard practice.
post #608 of 628 Unread 03-18-2015, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Is there a best practice for positioning the center channel speaker if you don't have an AT screen? I have tried above and below and definitely prefer below but I don't really like looking at my speakers. Also I feel like some of the sound is being aimed at my shins and not at my ears.
post #609 of 628 Unread 03-18-2015, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Is there a best practice for positioning the center channel speaker if you don't have an AT screen? I have tried above and below and definitely prefer below but I don't really like looking at my speakers. Also I feel like some of the sound is being aimed at my shins and not at my ears.
I have mine below the screen but behind the false wall so I don't see it. Its slightly angled upward and sits on the stage which puts it about 11" from the floor.
JRock3x8 likes this.

My First Build Ever in progress
post #610 of 628 Unread 03-18-2015, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quamosa View Post
I have mine below the screen but behind the false wall so I don't see it. Its slightly angled upward and sits on the stage which puts it about 11" from the floor.
for later reference for myself :

My First Build Ever

why do people always have recessed can lights in front of their screens? That never makes any sense to me.

also my projector doesn't do this but are there projectors that can push out different size images based on the input signal? So for example a 2.35:1 image would be the largest possible image and a 16:9 would be a smaller image inside that?
post #611 of 628 Unread 03-18-2015, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
why do people always have recessed can lights in front of their screens?
From what i can tell its purely aesthetic. Brings folks attention to it. Its like the main attraction before a show when they have all the spotlights aimed at the stage.

Some builds might also use them to shine light on their speaker set up behind the screen again to add the wow factor.

I have found the lights to be a great help when doing stuff behind and around the screen though because I am not using pot lights in the ceiling.

My First Build Ever in progress
post #612 of 628 Unread 03-18-2015, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Above AND below?

Myself, as I still don't have my AT screen, I have my center below angled up.

post #613 of 628 Unread 03-18-2015, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post
Above AND below?

not at same time

I definitely understand the draw of an AT screen now.
post #614 of 628 Unread 03-18-2015, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
also my projector doesn't do this but are there projectors that can push out different size images based on the input signal? So for example a 2.35:1 image would be the largest possible image and a 16:9 would be a smaller image inside that?
The best you're going to do for this is to get a projector with zoom memory. If you set up your screen as 235 and then position the projector and adjust the zoom such that a 235 image fills the 235 screen, you can then zoom back to get a 16:9 image to be the same height. (assuming you set the projector at a position that allows both, and assuming you have a projector with adequate zoom range (at least 1.3x - though more is nice for a little placement flexibility) If the projector has memory, you just teach it each set of settings (zoom, V-pos, and zoom) for each type of image. Then you'll have to use the remote to manually select the correct image size setting for your content. (There are other more advanced ways to do it, but they require fancy automation and/or ripped content with metadata and more automation)

You might also be able to force the 16:9 image into an SD mode or something so that it only uses the center portion of the imaging chip, but I don't know about that and wouldn't recommend it even if you could, based on image quality.

The other way to do it is with a one-touch setting and macro for engaging the stretch or 4:3 mode on most projectors, which squeezes the image (distorting the geometry) and then engaging an anamorphic lens - usually on a motorized sled. This method has some advantages (though not all the advantages), but costs a lot more.

The Panasonic projectors have all had the required features for this for a few model years now, and you can get this with most of the last few model years of JVCs as well. I'm not sure where else. When looking at lower cost and used projectors, the most common limiting factor is the memory function itself, but don't overlook the zoom range: many of the budget DLP projectors do not have adequate zoom range to make this practical (at least that was what I found when I was doing the research three or so years ago.

Fred
post #615 of 628 Unread 03-18-2015, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So @HopefulFred I am going to take that as a no.
post #616 of 628 Unread 04-28-2015, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

couldn't figure out where else to put this...

I heard on Scott Wilkinson's podcast that HDMI cables are supposed to be 20' or less? or else you see sparkles on your picture?

Is this a hard and fast rule? To what extent can it be broken?
post #617 of 628 Unread 04-28-2015, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
couldn't figure out where else to put this...

I heard on Scott Wilkinson's podcast that HDMI cables are supposed to be 20' or less? or else you see sparkles on your picture?

Is this a hard and fast rule? To what extent can it be broken?
Generally HDMI runs can't be very long. Monoprice sells an HDMI cable with RedMere tech built in it. According to my good friend Google, that is an active cable that boosts the HDMI signal to allow for longer runs. I'm using a 30' RedMere cable with no issues. The longest one they have listed is 60'.

For really long cable runs, you need to use a CAT 6 extender. With those, I think you can run up to 100' maybe more.
JRock3x8 likes this.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #618 of 628 Unread 04-28-2015, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post
Generally HDMI runs can't be very long. Monoprice sells an HDMI cable with RedMere tech built in it. According to my good friend Google, that is an active cable that boosts the HDMI signal to allow for longer runs. I'm using a 30' RedMere cable with no issues. The longest one they have listed is 60'.

For really long cable runs, you need to use a CAT 6 extender. With those, I think you can run up to 100' maybe more.
thanks - I could not possibly imagine needing to run longer than 30' but who knows with some twists and turns maybe it would need to be longer than that.
post #619 of 628 Unread 05-10-2015, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

watched the hobbit last night - pretty much any time I watch a movie I am now annoyed at the location specific nature of the sound. Voices coming from below the screen. Music coming from the corners of the screen (where the FL and FR are located)

I never would have guessed that I wanted an AT screen but now I can't imagine building a theater without it.
post #620 of 628 Unread 05-12-2015, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
watched the hobbit last night - pretty much any time I watch a movie I am now annoyed at the location specific nature of the sound. Voices coming from below the screen. Music coming from the corners of the screen (where the FL and FR are located)

I never would have guessed that I wanted an AT screen but now I can't imagine building a theater without it.
Well, from what you describe, I think you need better speakers... Or you'd just be able to pinpoint them just as well behind the AT screen...

post #621 of 628 Unread 05-12-2015, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well, from what you describe, I think you need better speakers... Or you'd just be able to pinpoint them just as well behind the AT screen...
that's also probably true - working with mismatched speakers at the moment. I've bastardized a TEAC center speaker with 4 speakers from a Sony HTIB and a Yamaha sub I picked up from Craigslist - so it's definitely a Frankenstein setup at the moment.

but since my budget is essentially zero at the moment, I kinda have to take what I get No one seems to mind it except me.
post #622 of 628 Unread 05-12-2015, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
that's also probably true - working with mismatched speakers at the moment. I've bastardized a TEAC center speaker with 4 speakers from a Sony HTIB and a Yamaha sub I picked up from Craigslist - so it's definitely a Frankenstein setup at the moment.

but since my budget is essentially zero at the moment, I kinda have to take what I get No one seems to mind it except me.
I know. I just wanted to remind about it. It takes a certain level of speaker before they 'disappear'... Just so you don't expect too mich from the AT alone.

post #623 of 628 Unread 05-12-2015, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I know. I just wanted to remind about it. It takes a certain level of speaker before they 'disappear'... Just so you don't expect too mich from the AT alone.
I've been eyeing this the last couple years on slickdeals. No idea when I will actually have the money but....

http://slickdeals.net/f/7431852-klip...src=SiteSearch
post #624 of 628 Unread 05-13-2015, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I've been eyeing this the last couple years on slickdeals. No idea when I will actually have the money but....

http://slickdeals.net/f/7431852-klip...src=SiteSearch
Well, I'm not the one to ask about Klipsch. Not my forté from the models I've heard.
I'm more into the Revel/Big B&W (Thiele possibly) kind of sound presentation (if I'm to try translating what my brand sounds like into something you might know or get to listen to.)

post #625 of 628 Unread Yesterday, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

staring at my unfinished basement today thinking about arrangements. One of the confining problems of the layout is the width and my desire to have 3 rows (front, riser, bar) The bar quite frankly is mostly for use as a PC desk but I'm sure it will get dual use on occasion. The problem with this is that you need to be able to walk past the 2nd row which limits the number of 2nd row seats.

So then I thought why don't I put the bar behind the first row and then the riser in the back? Although now that I've drawn it and had a second to think about it, I think the bar people will obstruct the view of the back row. HMMMM.

for comparison's sake - here is my previous "complete" template :

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Theater Complete - 0526.png
Views:	45
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	731970  

Last edited by JRock3x8; Yesterday at 06:14 AM.
post #626 of 628 Unread Yesterday, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I would definitely be considering three speaker pairs on the sides instead of one pair; the pair slightly in front of each row being the one with the shortest distance, so they will have to be higher up further back.

There might come other people now saying that it would require delays - it doesn't, your ear will integrate it just fine if the delay times are right (early enough and it will contribute to direction as well, later it will not do that but still integrate.... Too late and it will be detected as a source of it's own ). In any case, it would give all seats a significantly better and more similar surround experience for all.

post #627 of 628 Unread Yesterday, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked: 486
Quote:
One of the confining problems of the layout is the width and my desire to have 3 rows (front, riser, bar) The bar quite frankly is mostly for use as a PC desk but I'm sure it will get dual use on occasion. The problem with this is that you need to be able to walk past the 2nd row which limits the number of 2nd row seats.

So then I thought why don't I put the bar behind the first row and then the riser in the back? Although now that I've drawn it and had a second to think about it, I think the bar people will obstruct the view of the back row. HMMMM.
Yes, the bar should be in the back. Almost certainly people sitting on stools would obstruct the view from behind them. But also, since you mentioned "PC desk" - if you're going to sit in the room with a laptop on, the screen glow would be horribly distracting to folks behind you...

As for walking past the riser, I'd recommend extending your riser wall-to-wall. That may allow you more seating room on the riser. But it would also provide a pathway to bring power to the riser. You'll want outlets on the riser for powered recliners, but more importantly, for your PC/devices if you intend to use them at the bar for long periods...

And I also agree with Nightlord on multiple surround pairs given the depth. I have two pairs in my theater, simply connected in parallel to the amp, and it works fine. If I upgrade the room to support Atmos in the future, I'll certainly try to give each speaker its own channel, though.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #628 of 628 Unread Today, 01:46 AM
AVS Special Member

And the riser would have more volume for bass trapping... I'd probably make it all the way to the back wall...

Last edited by Nightlord; Today at 01:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction