Shermer Theater - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 29Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #631 of 643 Unread 05-25-2015, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JRock3x8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 1,102
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 65
funny - fortunately for us we just signed another one year lease for our old property so there's no danger of this space actually being needed for construction any time soon.
JRock3x8 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #632 of 643 Unread 06-12-2015, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JRock3x8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 1,102
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 65
can someone decode this for me? What is this guy selling and why would I want it / not want it?

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/ele/5069468074.html
JRock3x8 is online now  
post #633 of 643 Unread 06-12-2015, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TMcG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Earth Orbit
Posts: 3,389
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked: 564
Dude - run AWAY from this....quickly. The speakers and subs are still usable and not 'dated' per-se, but the receiver and processor are beyond ancient and would not fit your needs. There are so many ways you can do more with new equipment and just a bit more budget than what is being presented.
TMcG is offline  
post #634 of 643 Unread 06-12-2015, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JRock3x8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 1,102
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
Dude - run AWAY from this....quickly. The speakers and subs are still usable and not 'dated' per-se, but the receiver and processor are beyond ancient and would not fit your needs. There are so many ways you can do more with new equipment and just a bit more budget than what is being presented.
yah I wasn't considering buying it but I'm trying to learn why this is not useful for me?
JRock3x8 is online now  
post #635 of 643 Unread 06-12-2015, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HopefulFred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,196
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 286
The receiver is not useful for any modern or recent sources. It has no digital inputs, and it can't decode any multichannel audio stream. The only way it would be useful for anything other than stereo is if you have a blu-ray player or DVD player with analog multi-channel output - which is a pretty niche feature.

So if you wanted a stereo amp/receiver for analog playback (including phono, which is getting hard to find integrated like this) it's fine. Otherwise, it's pretty much a boat anchor.

I could see how someone would use it to replace the speakers in a TV, but still you could get something a couple years newer (like the ten-year-old HTiB I have) which has Dolby PLII which allows the stereo analog signal - which is easy to get out of any TV - to be spread out into five channels.
HopefulFred is offline  
post #636 of 643 Unread 06-20-2015, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JRock3x8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 1,102
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 65
So just to be clear I'm not buying this - too much money and I'm nowhere near being ready to build my theater but what do the more knowledgable folks say about this?

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/ele/5083060551.html
JRock3x8 is online now  
post #637 of 643 Unread 06-20-2015, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BllDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 1,397
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Most people in this this forum would tend to suggest getting three identical front speakers to get the best audio. The horizontal center has some performance comprises that you pay for for the convenience of not using an acoustically transparent screen. Second, though those Polks look decent, I think Polks tend to be overpriced for what you get. You end up paying a lot for all of their advertising. Have a look at the DIY Soundgroup offerings for some very good high value speakers.

-




Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
BllDo is offline  
post #638 of 643 Unread 07-15-2015, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JRock3x8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 1,102
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 65
anyone know of any great step by step riser build pages?

we're exploring the idea of a temporary riser for our theater.

so far I've captured some pretty good images from White Oaks and from the Budget Theater thread. Just looking for more.
JRock3x8 is online now  
post #639 of 643 Unread Today, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JRock3x8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 1,102
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I'm having a riser built - 8' by 5' by 12" tall - anyone know how much insulation I will need to fill it and what kind I should buy?
JRock3x8 is online now  
post #640 of 643 Unread Today, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BllDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 1,397
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Pink fluffy insulation is fine. You won't be able to use it as a bass trap, but it should help in taming some resonances from the riser. Make sure you put roofing felt under the riser to protect the wood from the concrete.

As to how much, I'd say at least R19 but you could fill it if you wanted to. I'm not sure how much incremental benefit you'll get with more insulation. Insulation hangers like these are a good cheap way to make sure you insulation doesn't fall and come in contact with the ground. May not be an issue if your new riser is only temporary, but I'm always concerned about mold.

As an aside, a riser is not that difficult to build. If you have a circular saw and a drill, you can knock it out in an afternoon. It would be a good first DIY construction project.

-




Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
BllDo is offline  
post #641 of 643 Unread Today, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JRock3x8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 1,102
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Thank you for your thoughts - much appreciated. A couple things :

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post
Pink fluffy insulation is fine. You won't be able to use it as a bass trap, but it should help in taming some resonances from the riser. Make sure you put roofing felt under the riser to protect the wood from the concrete.
1) this is a temporary riser that will sit on an old remnant of carpet so the issues with mold or concrete - seems okay...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post
As to how much, I'd say at least R19 but you could fill it if you wanted to. I'm not sure how much incremental benefit you'll get with more insulation. Insulation hangers like these are a good cheap way to make sure you insulation doesn't fall and come in contact with the ground. May not be an issue if your new riser is only temporary, but I'm always concerned about mold.
2) is it just one layer of insulation I need to throw in there or stack it to the top?

Is this what I'm looking at? Will this fill it? I literally have no idea.

http://www.menards.com/main/p-2771806-c-5780.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post
As an aside, a riser is not that difficult to build. If you have a circular saw and a drill, you can knock it out in an afternoon. It would be a good first DIY construction project.
3) I appreciate the irony of a guy who doesn't do tools in any way, shape, or form (me) participating in this forum but that's kind of where we're at. We don't even own a circular saw - we do have a table saw that we bought used cheaply on craigslist so that my wife can cut shelves or whatever else. I literally cringe every time she uses it. Not to turn this into a weird psychology session, but I just absolutely hate everything that I make that is DIY - I think it looks like crap and I can't stand to look at it. If someone else does the work and they screw it up, I'm fine with that because I don't know how they screwed it up (unless they did a REAL bad job).

Hey finally, I think this guy's design drawing calls for 1/4" plywood over the top - it really needs to be 3/4", doesn't it?

We're planning on wrapping it with cheap carpet or fabric ourselves.
JRock3x8 is online now  
post #642 of 643 Unread Today, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BllDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 1,397
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
Thank you for your thoughts - much appreciated. A couple things :



1) this is a temporary riser that will sit on an old remnant of carpet so the issues with mold or concrete - seems okay...?
Carpet on bare concrete can mold too. The carpet should keep the insulation and wood dry, but there is still a risk. How much will depend on your basement and how long you plan to keep it there. I'm not saying don't do it, just keep an eye out for moisture and musty smells.

Quote:
2) is it just one layer of insulation I need to throw in there or stack it to the top?

Is this what I'm looking at? Will this fill it? I literally have no idea.

http://www.menards.com/main/p-2771806-c-5780.htm
R-19 is about 6" thick. For your 12" riser, you could either double up the R-19 or get R-38 which is 12" thick. You could also just put one layer of R-19 and have an air space. You may get an additional benefit from filling it up, but I question how much. The insulation for this purpose will just be to keep the riser from resonating like a drum when someone walks on or when there is big bass notes in the soundtrack. I don't mean this to be insulting, just honest, but with your current setup, I might even skip the insulation altogether. This is a temporary riser and you don't have a stack of 18" subs in your room. I really don't think you'll hear any benefit to it at all.

Quote:
3) I appreciate the irony of a guy who doesn't do tools in any way, shape, or form (me) participating in this forum but that's kind of where we're at. We don't even own a circular saw - we do have a table saw that we bought used cheaply on craigslist so that my wife can cut shelves or whatever else. I literally cringe every time she uses it. Not to turn this into a weird psychology session, but I just absolutely hate everything that I make that is DIY - I think it looks like crap and I can't stand to look at it. If someone else does the work and they screw it up, I'm fine with that because I don't know how they screwed it up (unless they did a REAL bad job).
I can appreciate your point of view. Not everyone is handy. I know a guy that won't even change light bulbs. He just doesn't have sort of mechanical sensibility about him. The guy is unbelievable smart, but give him a screwdriver and blood will be shed. For me, I have to live my Red Green's motto.

Quote:
Hey finally, I think this guy's design drawing calls for 1/4" plywood over the top - it really needs to be 3/4", doesn't it?

We're planning on wrapping it with cheap carpet or fabric ourselves.
You definitely want at least one layer of 3/4". Two with a layer of roofing felt between would be even better. It would be a much firmer top. You can use OSB and save some money. It doesn't need to be actual plywood.

-




Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?

Last edited by BllDo; Today at 10:51 AM.
BllDo is offline  
post #643 of 643 Unread Today, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JRock3x8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 1,102
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Again, appreciate the guidance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post
just keep an eye out for moisture and musty smells.
understood - we have white blanket insulation surrounding the entire basement - it is both very comfortable and quite dry down there but I get the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post
I don't mean this to be insulating, just honest, but with your current setup, I might even skip the insulation altogether. This is a temporary riser and you don't have a stack of 18" subs in your room. I really don't think you'll hear any benefit to it at all.
I assume you meant insulting, not insulating (hee hee!) - if the difference is $20 worth of insulation I think it's worth the added expense / trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post
Not everyone is handy.
Things like computers, networking, audio/video, speaker wires, etc - I'll do that all day long because either it works or it doesn't. But wood you're dealing with variance allowances where if you're off an eighth of an inch, well that's okay...that stuff makes me nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post
You definitely want at least one layer of 3/4". Two with a layer of roofing felt between would be even better. It would be a much firmer top. You can use OSB and save some money. It doesn't need to be actual plywood.
thanks - got it. will discuss with him.
JRock3x8 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off