Shermer Theater - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 29Likes

post #631 of 637 Old 05-25-2015, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 64
funny - fortunately for us we just signed another one year lease for our old property so there's no danger of this space actually being needed for construction any time soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 637 Old 06-12-2015, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

can someone decode this for me? What is this guy selling and why would I want it / not want it?

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/ele/5069468074.html
post #633 of 637 Old 06-12-2015, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Dude - run AWAY from this....quickly. The speakers and subs are still usable and not 'dated' per-se, but the receiver and processor are beyond ancient and would not fit your needs. There are so many ways you can do more with new equipment and just a bit more budget than what is being presented.
post #634 of 637 Old 06-12-2015, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
Dude - run AWAY from this....quickly. The speakers and subs are still usable and not 'dated' per-se, but the receiver and processor are beyond ancient and would not fit your needs. There are so many ways you can do more with new equipment and just a bit more budget than what is being presented.
yah I wasn't considering buying it but I'm trying to learn why this is not useful for me?
post #635 of 637 Old 06-12-2015, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 281
The receiver is not useful for any modern or recent sources. It has no digital inputs, and it can't decode any multichannel audio stream. The only way it would be useful for anything other than stereo is if you have a blu-ray player or DVD player with analog multi-channel output - which is a pretty niche feature.

So if you wanted a stereo amp/receiver for analog playback (including phono, which is getting hard to find integrated like this) it's fine. Otherwise, it's pretty much a boat anchor.

I could see how someone would use it to replace the speakers in a TV, but still you could get something a couple years newer (like the ten-year-old HTiB I have) which has Dolby PLII which allows the stereo analog signal - which is easy to get out of any TV - to be spread out into five channels.
post #636 of 637 Old 06-20-2015, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So just to be clear I'm not buying this - too much money and I'm nowhere near being ready to build my theater but what do the more knowledgable folks say about this?

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/ele/5083060551.html
post #637 of 637 Old 06-20-2015, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Most people in this this forum would tend to suggest getting three identical front speakers to get the best audio. The horizontal center has some performance comprises that you pay for for the convenience of not using an acoustically transparent screen. Second, though those Polks look decent, I think Polks tend to be overpriced for what you get. You end up paying a lot for all of their advertising. Have a look at the DIY Soundgroup offerings for some very good high value speakers.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page