Shermer Theater (Boxes are Everywhere...Theater in Thinking Step) - Page 15 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #421 of 438 Old 12-30-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I hope you get on a roll, rather than anti-roll soon. Don't believe superstition or you might force #3 to happen.

Under construction: the Larch theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 438 Old 12-30-2013, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post

I hope you get on a roll, rather than anti-roll soon. Don't believe superstition or you might force #3 to happen.

honestly at this point I'm just hoping no one gets really sick. I can deal with money and possessions and that type of nonsense but if one of my kids were to get sersiously ill that might cause me to have a breakdown...
post #423 of 438 Old 06-17-2014, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Holy long time no update!

So just to recap :

In November they built our house with a back sliding door 4 feet off the ground and they said either we can make your back yard a ski slope or you can pay $4,000 out of pocket for a deck and no we won't amend your contract. Thanks!

In December something in my wife's van broke loose and totaled the engine. $2,000 for a down payment on a new (used) van.

On Christmas frigging Eve, our furnace in our old house died, just died, out of nowhere. Another $2,000 to replace it. (Thankful it wasn't more)

Earlier this year my wife brings my daughter home from the dentist, tells me they have scheduled her for surgery to remove a tooth, and that they will immediately be starting a $4,000 braces treatment program and I said uh what?!? We have pushed that off until January - at least then, we can build up enough money through HSA to help defray the cost.

Needless to say my "theater" looks no different today than the day I moved in. However! I did recently receive a promotion at work and there will be a (prorated) bonus at year end so there is some cash coming my way. Hopefully it won't be another 6 months before my next update but I'm at least hopeful again about the future!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Side note : I went to my friends house to watch Game 7 of the NHL Western Conference Finals and he was projecting an Optoma (did not get the model number - I assumed it was the HD20) onto a 14 foot wide screen that ran floor to ceiling (about 8 feet) and it looked... not all that great.

Now for whatever reason he was running DVD and DirecTV to it. The DVD was Empire Strikes Back and I literally almost asked him to turn it off. It did not look good at all. During the snow scenes I could see squares (the pixels) on the screen clearly outlined in black about the size of my thumb. The hockey game looked OK, but again I kept wishing it was a higher quality feed but the game certainly looked better than the DVD. But I think even in the hockey game I could see the pixels outlined against the ice pretty easily.

Did he have it configured wrong? Was it just a bad feed? I'm trying to figure out how a projector could end up looking that bad.
post #424 of 438 Old 06-17-2014, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

That's bad expenses for sure. Sounds like a very high cost for braces, for sure... Or we're just so very heavily subsidised through the taxes over here... Hope you will get your nose above water soon!

post #425 of 438 Old 06-17-2014, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Sounds like your friend might be using a cheap 800x600 projector. I started with one (has 1080 hdmi feed but a 800x600 image) and as I increased the image size over a couple of months the screen door effect caused by lack of pixels began to drive me crazy. (Of course, my wife and girls were fine with the picture, but I have to get after the wife to watch HD on my 70 inch TV verses low def. She claims not to notice the difference.)

I use it on a 92 inch screen now and the image is good with a 1080 source. When I project in on the family room wall at around 14 feet wide, the image is okay when you get back 30 feet. Any closer and the pixel squares are "wow" in size which sounds like what you experienced at your friends house. Add in a non-1080 source such as a DVD or non-hd TV source, and the image is almost unwatchable on a large screen.
JRock3x8 likes this.
post #426 of 438 Old 06-17-2014, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 176
crappy projector is my guess.

Sorry to hear of your unexpected costs. That really sucks and when it rains it pours I guess. Congrats on your job promotion!

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #427 of 438 Old 06-17-2014, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm curious which of the builders lovely options you chose? Ski slope, or deck? "Nice"!

Looks like you've used up all the bad luck, and you're onto the good now!
post #428 of 438 Old 06-22-2014, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1106 View Post
Sounds like your friend might be using a cheap 800x600 projector. I started with one (has 1080 hdmi feed but a 800x600 image) and as I increased the image size over a couple of months the screen door effect caused by lack of pixels began to drive me crazy. (Of course, my wife and girls were fine with the picture, but I have to get after the wife to watch HD on my 70 inch TV verses low def. She claims not to notice the difference.)

I use it on a 92 inch screen now and the image is good with a 1080 source. When I project in on the family room wall at around 14 feet wide, the image is okay when you get back 30 feet. Any closer and the pixel squares are "wow" in size which sounds like what you experienced at your friends house. Add in a non-1080 source such as a DVD or non-hd TV source, and the image is almost unwatchable on a large screen.
thanks for this - seriously the Empire Strikes Back DVD made me nauseous. It was that bad.

Nighthawk, we went deck but it cost us dearly. The flip side was to have a nearly unusable backyard though.

-----------

Thanks for all the replies and continued interest - I had forgotten that I turned off email notifications and thought you guys didn't care about me any more.

I made a big step this weekend. I bought a sh*tload of blackout material on ebay (110" x 200") so I can get a proper screen going and start testing some setups.

I recently walked downstairs and thought to myself, "you know the narrow side of the basement would be a hell of a lot easier to do this project". I keep looking at how low those vents are on the first floor and how wide they are and it's giving me heartburn. It's 12'6" wide on one side, 9' on the other and the vents are about 3' wide and hang down about 9".

"Wide" side

"Narrow" side

The thing is I think I have to go down to 2 seats wide with the narrow side. One thing's for sure - the entire setup would get a whole lot more "intimate" on the narrow side.

According to this page - http://www.diymovierooms.com/Home-Th...Shape-and-Size - theaters dimensions should be "Room width should be 1.6 times the height and the length should be 2.6 times the room height...". My ceiling is 93" which would make 9' a tad too narrow.

And then of course I could always go across the front of both of those pictures but then I've got a big beam hanging down in the middle of the room. That's 10.5' wide.

I don't know - I keep going in circles on this damn thing Hopefully having a screen will make it a bit more obvious as far as what works and what doesn't.
Skorzeney likes this.
post #429 of 438 Old 06-22-2014, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Wider is better. Narrower means more job of dampening the side wall reflex from the fronts where a wider room will work out fine with just diffusing it.

post #430 of 438 Old 07-03-2014, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

95 Staples. That's how many staples it took to make our screen. Do you want to know WHY I know that? Because I removed every last one of them.

Welcome to my first mistake as a home theater designer / constructor!

So first I watched this video on how to build a screen : http://www.instafuze.com/?p=114

Only I didn't watch it very closely. I couldn't figure out why he was stapling his screen on the front - why not just staple the back?

My basement floor is a bit dirty so I didn't want to put my big beautiful movie screen face down on that dirty floor. So *I* had a BRILLIANT idea! I'll move all the furniture out of the living room and my LUSH CLEAN new carpet and make the movie screen upstairs!

It worked like a charm - the room was just big enough and we got the screen stapled on to the wood frame and stood it up against the wall. It was BEAUTIFUL - I think I shed a tear.

So I tell my daughter to go down to the basement so that she could tell us where we should go. We got the frame into the office and made the pivot to go down the stairs and...(clunk). Wait, what? What do you mean it doesn't fit? HOW COULD IT NOT FIT? Because it's a 12 FOOT by 6 FOOT frame you NINNY!

So we put the frame back down on the living room floor and I removed 95 staples by hand, one at a time.

Sigh.

Oops.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140703_122228_Android.jpg (220.8 KB, 6 views)
post #431 of 438 Old 07-03-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 172
post #432 of 438 Old 07-03-2014, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post
Practice makes perfect!
We got it put back together this evening but have not hung it yet. Then I get to shine my crappy flashlight projector at it and try to decide what I like or don't like.
post #433 of 438 Old 07-03-2014, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Flashlight projector or not, it is a great way to test things out. Plus you will be able to gauge how much you and your family will enjoy using a projector and screen. Anytime our screen goes up my wife and kids are attracted to it like a moth to a flame. Hopefully you experience is similar!
post #434 of 438 Old 07-04-2014, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

had a delightful moment last night where we stand up the screen and my wife goes "isn't this screen bigger than your theater?"

and I said "no, it's exactly as big as the entire theater" and then I explained to her that this was a test to see what will work and won't work. And since we're dealing with unknowns I wanted to have the largest possible canvas to start with.
post #435 of 438 Old 07-04-2014, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Tell your wife that it is "our" theater and it helps with justifying purchases.

Having the largest canvas as possible is the best way to go IMO. I have seen many people wishing they went larger after they finished their theater.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #436 of 438 Old 07-04-2014, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
Tell your wife that it is "our" theater and it helps with justifying purchases.

Having the largest canvas as possible is the best way to go IMO. I have seen many people wishing they went larger after they finished their theater.

I fully expect that I will end up with a smaller screen for the final theater (if only because once you add walls and such I don't think that screen will fit) but I still wanted to know what the "max size" would look like. Having been at a friends theater recently where he had floor to ceiling 14' wide I'm not sure that's the way I would go but he clearly had something not set up right with his projector bc the picture was downright ugly.
post #437 of 438 Old 07-07-2014, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

screen is up, movies have been watched and now of course I am incredibly dissatisfied with my cheap crappy projector (duh) and also with the metal folding chairs (not very comfortable)

The Playtime Projector is a fixed lens projector. It can focus but no lens shift or adjustments of any kind. It's about 5'9" off the floor about 18-20' back throwing a 10' wide image (or so, 1.8:1 fiixed throw ratio). So that means I can't sit anywhere near the screen or my head is in the picture. If I can't sit 1:1 with the image width (10' wide, 10' back) for me you start to lose the wonder of a movie (that 50 degree field of view is a sweet spot for me).

so I'm sniffing around ebay and Craigslist for a cheap Epson 8350 - those seem to be highly regarded for lens shifting ability. I'm not even sure if a BenQ or an Optoma is going to do it for me with this setup. Also looking at CL for super stupid cheap couches. I know Goodwill is usually good for those too.

I took a picture but I knicked my u-verse fiber with the tiller yesterday so no internet (writing this using my phone's internet).

Once I get a better projector, then I can build and test out the riser and then start figuring out what I'm going to do with my ceiling. Which I may have overreacted to. Sitting watching a movie last night I didn't realize how far to the side those ducts and pipes are. Might end up being okay there.
post #438 of 438 Old 07-07-2014, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

anyone have recommendations on decent mass market (meaning many of them will be available used) projectors with decent lens shift?

The BenQ 1070W is $699 new right now, trying to not buy that...seems the lens shifting is pretty limited on that one.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page