Shermer Theater - Construction Wrapping Up - Page 43 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 142Likes

post #1261 of 1420 Old 04-19-2016, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post
I've used those. They're fine. With thicker wire, I've had difficulty getting some of the Monoprice plugs to feel like the wire is securely attached in the plug. I've also user more expensive plugs that were much easier to use, but really weren't worth the money. At the end of the day, the Monoprice are fine and are a good value.

They are also sale on Amazon. Link. If you have prime, it's sometimes cheaper to buy Monoprice off Amazon.
so banana plugs won't work in these smaller terminals, right?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1420 Old 04-19-2016, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Nope, just the left and right.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #1263 of 1420 Old 04-19-2016, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Speaker Pin Connectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
so banana plugs won't work in these smaller terminals, right?

You might consider something like these High-Quality Gold Plated Speaker Pin Plugs, Pin Screw Type connectors:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=9438

...since your terminals don't accept banana plugs.

They may not be quite as snug a fit as a banana connector, but they'll make it easier to use thicker gauge wire compared to forcing the wire end into the spring loaded terminals on your receiver.

You can find hem by the pair, as well.

Unless, of course, others may know of a good reason not to use these?

I've never used them, myself, but I noticed them on the Monoprice site when I last bought banana plugs.
post #1264 of 1420 Old 04-19-2016, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.T.Nest View Post
You might consider something like these High-Quality Gold Plated Speaker Pin Plugs, Pin Screw Type connectors:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=9438

...since your terminals don't accept banana plugs.

They may not be quite as snug a fit as a banana connector, but they'll make it easier to use thicker gauge wire compared to forcing the wire end into the spring loaded terminals on your receiver.

You can find hem by the pair, as well.

Unless, of course, others may know of a good reason not to use these?

I've never used them, myself, but I noticed them on the Monoprice site when I last bought banana plugs.
I actually ended up using something very similar to that - I just happened to have some of those laying around (no idea where from) - I literally could not get the 12 gauge wire into that hole. It would bunch up every time no matter how tight I wound it.

It's not exactly a great fit though. It doesn't look like it belongs there.
post #1265 of 1420 Old 04-20-2016, 01:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
If you have prime, it's sometimes cheaper to buy Monoprice off Amazon.
I shop Monoprice a LOT, and have almost never found it to be cheaper on Amazon. It might because I live near one of their distribution centers in SoCal, but I only paid a discounted $1.19 for Next Biz Day shipping on a $130 order today, which included these banana plugs on sale for $4.99, which are twice that Prime. Plus, they've got a 10% off sitewide promo code good through tomorrow.

I know the sheathing can be troublesome. I struggled with 14 ga on those plugs for a while.... For 12 ga, they've got an open-screw pin type here. Sold as a pair, though. No 5 packs

Amazon can be great and most of the time they can't be beat (Prime Now deliveries have me lazier than ever).

On another note, I think we had the sofa to match your floral loveseat in my last house, @JRock3x8

Last edited by Jaurhead; 04-20-2016 at 01:40 AM.
post #1266 of 1420 Old 04-20-2016, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaurhead View Post
Quote:
If you have prime, it's sometimes cheaper to buy Monoprice off Amazon.
I shop Monoprice a LOT, and have almost never found it to be cheaper on Amazon. It might because I live near one of their distribution centers in SoCal, but I only paid a discounted $1.19 for Next Biz Day shipping on a $130 order today, which included these banana plugs on sale for $4.99, which are twice that Prime. Plus, they've got a 10% off sitewide promo code good through tomorrow.

I know the sheathing can be troublesome. I struggled with 14 ga on those plugs for a while.... For 12 ga, they've got an open-screw pin type here. Sold as a pair, though. No 5 packs

Amazon can be great and most of the time they can't be beat (Prime Now deliveries have me lazier than ever).

On another note, I think we had the sofa to match your floral loveseat in my last house, @JRock3x8

Here's what I ended up with - also some how I mislabelled my left and center - when I went to test them they were reversed - very weird.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1461145284615.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	1393098  
post #1267 of 1420 Old 04-20-2016, 02:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Speaking of which, the main reason I don't want to let the inspector back in is that my "office" is a desk sitting on bare concrete powered by an extension cord that runs from a ceiling light. I can only imagine that this is a GROSS violation of code, which is why I completely disassembled it when the theater was under construction and why I don't want him to come back. Can anyone verify that for me? That is a violation, right? He would have cause to take action against me if he saw that?
Anyone want to weigh in on this?

@BIGmouthinDC

?
post #1268 of 1420 Old 04-20-2016, 03:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
2) My projector mount is a freaking disaster. As someone said earlier in this thread, getting that thing to LOCK DOWN is just a nightmare. Plus now I have need for a second setting since I need to raise the projector about 5-10 degrees if I want to go widescreen. Speaking of...

3) I was surprised that zooming the lens on the projector is not center weighted if that makes sense. When I zoom in or out, the top of the image doesn't change - the image fills out and down. This is problematic because when I want to go widescreen I have to reposition the projector and, well yah we talked about that...
thoughts on this?

also feeling a bit pissy about the electric contractors not getting back to me on my missing vent/fan cover - they were on my good list before this. gradually sinking down into the "I don't want to do business with any of you ever again" list.
post #1269 of 1420 Old 04-20-2016, 06:25 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 2298
Inspectors should only be interested in inspecting your construction zone. If there are areas untouched they should not get much scrutiny. If it is just an extension cord hanging down how difficult is it to unplug it before he arrives?
post #1270 of 1420 Old 04-20-2016, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Inspectors should only be interested in inspecting your construction zone. If there are areas untouched they should not get much scrutiny. If it is just an extension cord hanging down how difficult is it to unplug it before he arrives?
It'll make more sense if I take a picture. Basically I have a desk with a PC and a monitor and a power strip full of gadgets - even if I unplug the extension cord, it's still going to be very obvious that I'm using the space. I suppose I could put a giant drop cloth over it. Hmmm...

Then there's a bed in our garage that we want to move down to the basement but this is where he has been the biggest pain about where that bed can be in our basement (access to window, size of the window well, ladder to exit the well, smoke detectors, it's REALLY over the top in my opinion)

And he's been so strong with some of his rhetoric that it has led me to be VERY defensive about what I show him inside my house.

should I just buy some non-see-through drop cloths for when he comes over to cover that stuff up?

Thanks Big.
post #1271 of 1420 Old 04-20-2016, 06:47 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
thoughts on this?
You have painted yourself into a corner with the screen format and projector selection if you are now in a position where you have to tilt the projector to properly display 2.35:1 content. The hardware lens fix is around $1000+, what projector is this?
post #1272 of 1420 Old 04-20-2016, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You have painted yourself into a corner with the screen format and projector selection if you are now in a position where you have to tilt the projector to properly display 2.35:1 content. The hardware lens fix is around $1000+, what projector is this?
it can be fixed with a better projector mount - it's a 5 minute (or less) adjustment to go from 16:9 to 2.35:1

stay on topic what did you think of my follow up comments on my problem inspector?
post #1273 of 1420 Old 04-20-2016, 06:55 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
should I just buy some non-see-through drop cloths for when he comes over to cover that stuff up?
Yes.

as for a bed in the basement without a secondary method of egress, you are lucky, in my county you can't finish a basement for any purpose unless it has a means of escape. Code used to be if there was a bedroom now it is if there is any finished space.
post #1274 of 1420 Old 04-20-2016, 06:57 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
it can be fixed with a better projector mount - it's a 5 minute (or less) adjustment to go from 16:9 to 2.35:1
that is not a real fix.
post #1275 of 1420 Old 04-20-2016, 07:02 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

back to the inspector, based on what I have seen documented in this project and your descriptions I think you need to keep the door locked and move on. Things like the lack of required outlets on the back wall may fail your inspection.
post #1276 of 1420 Old 04-20-2016, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaurhead View Post
Yeah, it's the shipping that gets me. There have been a couple times where the shipping has been as much as the product costs especially if I need expedited shipping. I usually price up my orders on both Amazon and Monoprice and go with the cheapest option.

-

post #1277 of 1420 Old 04-21-2016, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
back to the inspector, based on what I have seen documented in this project and your descriptions I think you need to keep the door locked and move on. Things like the lack of required outlets on the back wall may fail your inspection.
we already had final inspection and it passed. even with the unfinished back wall.

Quote:
that is not a real fix.
re the pj mount, I don't have problems with compromises when it saves me thousands of dollars. My wife has been exceedingly tolerant of how much money I have spent on this theater so far - no need to test the limits of her patience or our budget for that matter.

Last edited by JRock3x8; 04-21-2016 at 02:46 AM.
post #1278 of 1420 Old 04-22-2016, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Electricians are coming tomorrow to install my missing grill and fix the thermostat. And then I'm done with contractors for while.

This whole experience of working with people who are building stuff inside my house has been pretty depressing. In retrospect, I should have spent the last 3 years searching for the right person and who knows maybe that person doesn't exist but man...
post #1279 of 1420 Old 04-22-2016, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

This is why most of us learn to do this stuff ourselves. When it's your house, you actually care about what you're doing.

There are good contractors out there, but they are few and far between.

-

post #1280 of 1420 Old 04-22-2016, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This is why most of us learn to do this stuff ourselves. When it's your house, you actually care about what you're doing.

There are good contractors out there, but they are few and far between.
sort of ironic then that I started with the room that I care the most about - he could have pulled the **** that he did in the rest of the basement and I wouldn't have cared nearly as much
post #1281 of 1420 Old 04-23-2016, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Electricians installed ANOTHER heating thermostat and when I called them on it they argued it with me.

So I told them to get lost.

So effing pissed right now.

edit :

hoping they just wired it wrong - if this is right seems like an easy fix

http://www.ntsupply.com/files/produc...PE_install.pdf

Last edited by JRock3x8; 04-23-2016 at 06:35 AM.
post #1282 of 1420 Old 04-23-2016, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
I feel like about 1,000 posts ago I did ask for references and didn't get a whole lot of response. 80%+ of the theaters on this forum are pure DIY. Very few are contractor built.
That's my struggle, too. I'm not DIY'ing my basement theater. A key reason is that the DIY threads show that it takes one to three years of nights and weekends to do it. I don't want to spend all my free time for the next 12+ months building a theater. I want to pay a competent contractor and enjoy it later this Fall. The downside is that's expensive with a non-dedicated GC or very expensive with a dedicated HT firm.
Sigh.
Quote:
We had conversations about very specific things that I wanted and he nodded his head during the estimate part and said yes but clearly he never wrote it down or didn't remember it because when he showed up on the first day he had no idea what I was saying. I mentioned split stud walls and he nodded and I asked him to actually do one and no clue...
Thanks for practical reminder to me to get it in writing. I want to have a clear contract on the plan and cost, with process for changes.

Last edited by ShoutingMan; 04-23-2016 at 08:18 PM.
post #1283 of 1420 Old 04-23-2016, 06:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Have you considered a Nest or similar thermostat? You can get them at Lowes/Home Depot and self install is a snap. Best part of the newer web enabled thermo's is that you can remotely program them from you iPhone/droid. www.nest.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #1284 of 1420 Old 04-23-2016, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

They wired it wrong. Took ten minutes to fix. What a bunch of a$$hats.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image_1461420499793.png
Views:	87
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	1399274  
BllDo likes this.

Last edited by JRock3x8; 04-23-2016 at 07:23 AM.
post #1285 of 1420 Old 04-23-2016, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoutingMan View Post
That's my struggle, too.
Use my experience as a cautionary tale. Be there for as much of the construction as you can. Watch everything. When it's built its too late.
post #1286 of 1420 Old 04-23-2016, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Saturday Night Movies are an event again in the Williams House!

We watched Mockingjay Part 2 tonight - better movie than I thought it would be.

Man there is nothing like that wider than your field of view big screen experience. So good.
post #1287 of 1420 Old 04-23-2016, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Use my experience as a cautionary tale. Be there for as much of the construction as you can. Watch everything. When it's built its too late.
I don't know how to handle that yet. The contractors would be working while I'm at work.
post #1288 of 1420 Old 04-24-2016, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoutingMan View Post
Quote:
I don't know how to handle that yet. The contractors would be working while I'm at work.
Either take the days off or get super comfortable with your contractor. I trusted mine and wish that I had not.
post #1289 of 1420 Old 04-25-2016, 03:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

half of the theater has a coat of primer on it - the rest will come today. man that drywall dust is awful. glad to have it sealed off.

paint will probably have to wait until after mother's day - we have a zany schedule until then.
post #1290 of 1420 Old 05-01-2016, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Let me regale you with more stories of my amazing wife...

Last night, she came from a very busy day of work and over dinner she said she had a birthday party to go to tomorrow. My eyes unfocused as I tried to figure out how we were going to get the theater painted. She asked what I was thinking about and I said as much.

She said "Orange Juice!" I said "what??", genuinely confused. She said "Orange Juice! for our drunk all night paint party!" So after dinner she took my daughter shopping and sure enough she comes home with OJ to mix with Amaretto and 3 hours later ... we have this...

We're not done - we ran out of paint about 6 sq feet from the end (not shown) and it needs a second coat but I already love the color. I think I might actually have gone a shade darker if I was going to do it over again but I love it anyways. More pics when we're all the way done...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image_1462105495797.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	1416418  
SteveFred and Jaurhead like this.

Last edited by JRock3x8; 05-01-2016 at 05:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page