Sound Isolation, My garage? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-08-2013, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got given permission to use my shed out the back of my house for my own personal recording studio, so I was thinking I want to make it sound proof so I get no complaints.. the problem is 3 of the walls are old fashioned brick work like the slimmest bricks with the sloppy concrete cover. The other wall is tin basically with a window on the right side of it, the roof is tin, there's no door aswell so i'm thinking it's not even sealed.. would I be able to build a room in side of this sloop room or would i be better off knocking the concrete tank next to it down/the sloppy room & because they both have a good concrete foundation just build a new garage from scratch.. anyone know of this type of work? I'm also just a teenager but I'm consistent with putting money to good use smile.gif this is a preview of it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45XnPoXJG2g
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-08-2013, 05:15 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Building a room inside a room is a common approach to soundproofing. If you are making a substantial investment in this room the integrety and suitabliity of the original structure should be assessed. From your video the brick walls look reasonably sound unless your part of the world is prone to earthquakes. The height and integrity of the metal roof is unknown. I would be tempted to renovate the existing walls, maybe raise them if neccessary, add the missing wall, replace the roof with something quieter, add a door, then build a room inside the structure with a second door, free standing walls and second ceiling. You will need to plan your electrical and HVAC for this space. By the way if you search there are Forums just for building recording studios. Good luck in your music career.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-08-2013, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the advice man was looking up how to sound proof in my situation for 3 days, I talked to my Mum about sound proofing & renovating the garage she said I'd need a shire's permit/architect's design for my next building so she suggests I start saving before planning but I just feel like at least learning what it's all about first, If I just got an electric jackhammer & knocked it down, started cleaning up the area around it.. got a architect & got him to draw the designs, than i'd be left with a clean foundation what would be my next step & how much would you estimate for a job like this?
post #4 of 5 Old 04-08-2013, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Also thankyou for the support i'll check out those forums, For the roof is it necessary to have a concrete roof for sound proofing or is insulation/a normal roof with drywalling enough?
post #5 of 5 Old 04-09-2013, 05:30 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 580
My favorite place for soundproofing knowledge and products is SoundproofingCompany.com some great articles there.
What is a shire? and it would help us to know where in the world you live so we would have insight into the building materials available.
Roof, I was thinking replacing the metal with roof made with wood trusses, plywood sheathing, tar paper and shingles. However if the metal is sound it might be easier to spray an insulation/sound deadening coating on the underside, then building your recording studio as a free standing building inside the existing building. One concern is the ceiling height, looking at the video.

A freestanding structure would have four walls a few inches from the outside wall, built on top of a new floor that would be floated on rubber pads. You would rest ceiling joists (cross members) on top of the walls spanning the ceiling and not touching the existing structure. You would add 2-3 layers of 5/8 drywall with Green Glue to the new structure (Inside only) and insulation.

Knocking down the structure and hiring an architect to draw your plans for a free standing recording studio is a very expensive pathway. Probably $50-75K. I think you would want a simpler DIY path. I think you ought to start down your path making do with what you've got with some modifications. Something you can do yourself.

It is before your time but one of the original rock bands was Buddy Holly and the Crickets. They just hung some cardboard egg crates in a garage to tame the echos and made their first recordings there. When they listened to the recordings they could hear crickets in the garage and hence the name.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVGM86XIilw
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page