Newbie needs advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 04-09-2013, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys, I’m new here, but like many I’ve been lurking for several months and I’m totally blown away by all the amazing home theaters that everyone has built.

So I’m in the beginning process of building a new house and the wife has graciously given me my own space in the basement for a dedicated home theater (with some compromises of course).

In the process of planning things out, I had a couple of questions for the experts here. The room size is approximately 13’9” by 19’ 0” with standard 8’ ceilings. I’d love to have a 135” screen for the room, so the first question is would it be better to put the screen on the 13’9” wall or the 19’ wall. I’m planning on going with the Epson 3020 projector. Also, my wife hates home theater recliners and wants a sectional in the room for family movie nights with the kids (the compromise).

Second question, I already have Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000’s for Left and Right, a ProCenter 1000, 4 ProMonitor 800’s for the surrounds, and a ProSub 1000 in an existing setup and was wondering if these would be decent for a room this size or if I should go with in-wall speakers. Was looking at the Mono Price in wall speakers as they have had good reviews and are reasonably priced.

And finally, any advice you could give me on building a dedicated home theater in a new construction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-09-2013, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I would put the screen on the short wall so you have more options for seating distances, and you could even fit a second row, which may be an even better compromise for you wink.gif

__________________________________________________ ______

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-09-2013, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response, I was leaning that way as well but wasn't completely sure. Any advice on the speakers?
post #4 of 13 Old 04-10-2013, 03:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I'm in the same boat (without the monitors to start with wink.gif ) I'm looking forward to seeing your project.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-11-2013, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

So I got some updated measurements from the builder and it looks like the room is smaller than what I thought but still looks workable. I added a Visio diagram below that I put together pretty quickly of how I'm planning it. I think I'm going to go with a 120" screen rather than the 135" screen because the wall is not as wide as I planned.

I'm still planning on going with the Epson 3020 and everything I've read said it can easily project on a 120" screen at 17'6". So is it OK if I just put a shelf up pretty high on the back wall to place the projector on? I was thinking if it was wide enough, it would provide me some flexibility for horizontal positioning since there is no lens shift on the projector.

I'm still undecided about the speakers, although I'm leaning towards the Monoprice 7604's all the way around and continuing to use my DT ProSub 1000 and place it in the corner. Would this be an OK setup for a room this size? Planning on getting the Yamaha RX-V673 to run everything.

Finally, two of the walls are exterior walls, one wall has the mechanical/storage room on the other side, and the back wall has a spare bathroom. I was going to put Roxul in the ceiling between the joists, but I'm limited by the builder on what I can do for additional soundproofing on the walls. Is there anything I can/should do for the walls to improve soundproofing on the walls that is fairly inexpensive?

Thanks a lot for all the great information, you guys are awesome and this site is completely addicting!

post #6 of 13 Old 04-12-2013, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Soundproofing is a whole complicated topic that's beyond the capability of most builders. If you're not going to build it sound proof all the way I wouldn't spend much on Roxul and stuff like that. A nice heavy door will help, as well as sealing up penetrations through the walls (no recessed light fixtures). Improvements are minimal though, without doing the full monty.

Consider switching the orientation. Having the screen on the long wall will move your ear holes further from the surround speakers, and move the main speakers out of the corners. You might be better served with 5.1, again to keep a decent distance from the speakers. Ceiling speakers might be a good compromise for rear surrounds if you want to use seven channels. If you use in-walls an acoustically transparent screen would be nice too. They aren't terribly expensive. You should flesh out the floor plan with furniture that you're thinking about using.

Multiple small subs will generally give better results than one sub. Multiples will help cancel out room modes and smooth out the bass response. Otherwise one seat my boom like a low rider while the next seat gets no bass at all. Two is good, three better, four about optimum. DIY subs are inexpensive and easy to put together.

Welcome to the madness!

High Desert Theater -

Building Bass - 

Surrounds -

Storage -

post #7 of 13 Old 04-12-2013, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post

(no recessed light fixtures).

Is this the reason for soffit lighting? Sound proofing?

post #8 of 13 Old 04-12-2013, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post

Is this the reason for soffit lighting? Sound proofing?

Yeah
Basic idea is you build a sound isolated shell with no leaks. Then all your architectural elements live inside the shell. Think of the shell as an aquarium or pressure vessel. Any tiny hole will leak sound (in or out).

www.thesoundproofingcompany.com

High Desert Theater -

Building Bass - 

Surrounds -

Storage -

post #9 of 13 Old 04-13-2013, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

That is really great information. Should the soffit be built before drywall goes up on the ceiling? The reason I ask is because the builder is actually framing and doing the drywall in the basement so I just need to paint and install carpeting. I really like the idea of a soffit with lighting in it. Just trying to get an idea of what to ask the builder to do. Thanks again!
post #10 of 13 Old 04-13-2013, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Soffit after drywall. Your builder will not like that but you could always add the soffits later yourself. Did you check out the web site referenced in my previous post? A wealth of good info there.

High Desert Theater -

Building Bass - 

Surrounds -

Storage -

post #11 of 13 Old 04-13-2013, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Ok so normally if you were to install soffits you would screw or nail them to existing studs but if you're using whisper clips and furring strips what are you securing the soffits to?

If the answer is furring strips how do you know where they are?

Also since the soffits sit entirely within the sound proof box that is your theater there is no need to pay any special attention to noise control with those, correct?

post #12 of 13 Old 04-13-2013, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post

Ok so normally if you were to install soffits you would screw or nail them to existing studs but if you're using whisper clips and furring strips what are you securing the soffits to?

The hat channel.

If the answer is furring strips how do you know where they are?

Measure in advance/Use a metal stud finder. It's advised to leave a row of clips and channel dedicated for the soffits.

Also since the soffits sit entirely within the sound proof box that is your theater there is no need to pay any special attention to noise control with those, correct?

Fill with insulation. You don't want hollow spaces in the sound proof "shell."

__________________________________________________ ______

post #13 of 13 Old 04-14-2013, 03:07 AM
Advanced Member

Hat channel is synonymous with furring strip, right?

Thanks stealing this conversation to cross post isn't thread.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page