Finding a local electrical supply company for HT needs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 04-12-2013, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Has anyone gone through finding a good local supply house for their HT construction needs? I've been looking at 2" flex conduit (Resi-Guard, etc), and I refuse to pay $80 to have it shipped. It's heavy - so it's not cheap to order online. Normally I order anything hard to find online.

I've noticed that many electrical supply companies really seem to emphasize on wholesale distribution and Business sales (That makes sense, that's their bread and butter). I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for how to approach companies - that seem to rarely ever sell to individuals (let alone smaller quantities).

I'm hoping to get an account w/Graybar (because I'm familiar with them), but not sure that's going to happen. I've been spoiled with looking at online catalogs w/prices for more web-friendly businesses (lots of electrical seems to be walk up sales). Hope my post makes sense. Not sure if best option is just walk into one, ask for a part, and just try to pay cash -- without any kind of business credit app.

Sorry if my post is OT......it is construction related though smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 04-12-2013, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Check with the maintenance department where you work. They often have accounts at industrial wholesale only suppliers. Then just go in and identify yourself as with the company and use a personal credit card for payment. An added bonus is you will probably get any discount the company gets.

IMO, there is nothing illegal or wrong with this. As long as you pay with your own credit card or reimburse the company, it's on the level. They may send the company an invoice copy but if it's pre-paid, most corporate accounting departments won't care.

I also know of some places where they post that "contractors only" sign but will gladly sell to anyone. I think they do that because they don't want to hassle with DIYers that have too many questions. There may also be contracts with the manufacturers to protect the retail sellers, hence the sign to make the manufactures sales reps happy. But if you go in and ask for an Leviton QXYZ4 for example with no other questions, they sometimes don't care. But then some places are anal about the contractor licenses as well.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #3 of 28 Old 04-12-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Yeah, any of the local supply houses are a potential source.

I got my Resigard from broadbandutopia.com, the shipping rate for a spool of 2" is ~$28...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #4 of 28 Old 04-12-2013, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

Check with the maintenance department where you work. They often have accounts at industrial wholesale only suppliers. Then just go in and identify yourself as with the company and use a personal credit card for payment. An added bonus is you will probably get any discount the company gets.

IMO, there is nothing illegal or wrong with this. As long as you pay with your own credit card or reimburse the company, it's on the level. They may send the company an invoice copy but if it's pre-paid, most corporate accounting departments won't care.

I also know of some places where they post that "contractors only" sign but will gladly sell to anyone. I think they do that because they don't want to hassle with DIYers that have too many questions. There may also be contracts with the manufacturers to protect the retail sellers, hence the sign to make the manufactures sales reps happy. But if you go in and ask for an Leviton QXYZ4 for example with no other questions, they sometimes don't care. But then some places are anal about the contractor licenses as well.

Hey, thanks for your thoughts. I've thought about doing that, dropping the company name, but I work for large university, I'm not sure how well that would work - especially given some tax exemptions that I'm sure are in place.

I had a feeling that most places shouldn't care too much if you have a part number or a very specific item in mind. Was just curious what others had experienced.

I think I've heard that HVAC places are anal about licenses -- so they can keep DIY'ers out.. (I'm sure there are other legal reasons, union reasons, etc, etc)
post #5 of 28 Old 04-12-2013, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Yeah, any of the local supply houses are a potential source.
I got my Resigard from broadbandutopia.com, the shipping rate for a spool of 2" is ~$28...
Thanks for the link. If you shop around though, it looks like the conduit is only $65-80. I've noticed that places that charge $100+ have cheap shipping.

Some places are charging $110+shipping for it!

I can't imagine that contractors are paying $2 a foot for it.
post #6 of 28 Old 04-12-2013, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeav View Post

Hey, thanks for your thoughts. I've thought about doing that, dropping the company name, but I work for large university, I'm not sure how well that would work - especially given some tax exemptions that I'm sure are in place.

I had a feeling that most places shouldn't care too much if you have a part number or a very specific item in mind. Was just curious what others had experienced.

I think I've heard that HVAC places are anal about licenses -- so they can keep DIY'ers out.. (I'm sure there are other legal reasons, union reasons, etc, etc)

The tax exempt status would be a problem and probably illegal to use personally. But try this: just say "A don't want to bother with a formal PO for this small purchase and likewise don't care about paying the tax. I'll just expense it"

As for HVAC there is an issue with CFC refrigerants. Canned CFC refrigerant cannot be legally sold to anyone without an EPA608* license. But you can still legally buy parts, tools, even condensing units fully charged with refrigerant. Go figure, but that's out federal government at work. Still many will not sell retail in any case - Johnstone Supply is real picky about this.

*Note that ANYONE can take the EPA test and get a license to have CFC refrigerant. You do not have to be a licensed contractor to have an EPA608 license. There are many online study/test programs.

Glimmie's HT Page

post #7 of 28 Old 04-12-2013, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

I've thought about doing that too - about no formal PO and seeing what happens.

I knew that refrigerants required a license... but I've read a number of places that the HVAC world still tries pretty hard to "protect" their interests. That's interesting that anyone can take the test and license for an EPA608* license.

I'm wondering if most AVSers don't end up actually buying directly from a supply company. Even as an independent contractor, you're probably still a tiny fish in a big sea.

Hopefully some others can chime in with their experiences with local suppliers.

I saw someone else mention Lowes special ordering 50' rolls of Carlon flex tubing. I wonder if it might be easiest just to special order certain products via Lowes/HD.
post #8 of 28 Old 04-12-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

... but I've read a number of places that the HVAC world still tries pretty hard to "protect" their interests.

I have always wondered about that as well, just what is the "interest" of a store - to sell things! Now they can't break the law nor can they violate agreements they have with the manufactures. But like you said some of these places think they are "helping the poor service trade" buy not selling to DIY. That really pisses me off. If you are a reputable contractor, you should have no worries from a few DIYers taking away business. I mean just how many DIYers would attempt an HVAC repair in the first place? This is just the "good old boys" behind the counter who are either failed contractors themselves or wannabees trying to get in with the big dogs!

Perhaps auto parts stores should be illegal?

Glimmie's HT Page

post #9 of 28 Old 04-12-2013, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 78
My favorite local electric supply store is a Border States outlet. They sell to anyone, at my local shop. I've bought a ton of stuff there, including 2" flex PVC conduit, RadioRA 2, breaker box, slotted wiring duct - prices are reasonable. As a general rule, know what you want when you approach the counter.

I've bought from a local HVAC distributor; they didn't care I don't have a tax ID.

The only places I've found that are very strict are LV distributors. I couldn't buy a 12V alarm battery. These include AVAD, ADI, and SES. I've found good online alternatives for the LV stuff.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #10 of 28 Old 04-12-2013, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I think it's mostly about protecting dealers. If the shop carries a lot of dealer only items, it's easier to track if you're registered. It is what it is. Some of the online, national distributors are strict too, but some look the other way. To get the best online pricing you need to sign up as a pro. I figure I'm the installer, and I don't need any added value provided by a reseller.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #11 of 28 Old 04-16-2013, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

WOW, so I decided to call a local supplier trying to get some 2" Resi- guard.

First call (local location): Well, 1 location has 10 feet, and 13 at another and 32 downtown. You might want to call downtown to order it, by 25'/50' rolls. The price he gave me was more expensive than what I've seen online!

Call downtown: 1st transfer was from receptionist to parts, first guy basically says "I don't know" and transfers me to data/telecom (I thought i was being placed on hold). I tell the second guy what I'm looking for, and he's confused so transfers me back. The first guy say "what, they couldn't help you? and transfers me again". Finally, the last guy says "Uh, we only sell it by 250' rolls, I'd have to get a quote /roll and then get freight pricing, I'll call you back".

Perhaps my pursuit of buying locally is pointless! I was only asked "who are you with 5 times.". They do take walk ins/cash though........ smile.gif Good times!

Found a couple places that sell 500ft rolls too.

I've become seriously spoiled by looking at a web page that has the complete product information, product name, cost in real time, etc. Perhaps I should shoot AV Sales a PM, see if they even carry it.
post #12 of 28 Old 04-16-2013, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I scooped up the blue version of it at Menards.
post #13 of 28 Old 04-16-2013, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

They don't want to sell to you, a homeowner. Call a different one.

I just called City Electric in Columbus, and they quoted me a price of $215 for 100 feet, of a comparative brand to Carlon, 2" flexible non-metallic conduit.

Some of the Carlon Riser-Gard 2" conduit is only available in large reels; if the clerk picked the wrong one, on the computer, it may tell him the minimum of that model number, and not the generic standard-stock coil model.

I recently bought some 1.5" Carlon flex conduit from ASIHome/Worthington. Easier than going to store. The first time I bought conduit, I researched the heck out of it. The second time, took me 5 mins online.

You can learn a lot from the Carlon Flexible Raceway Brochure.

post #14 of 28 Old 04-16-2013, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Here is a link to ASIHome's Carlon 2" flex conduit sales page. $150 for 100 feet, plus shipping ($20 maybe?)

http://www.asihome.com/ASIshop/product_info.php?products_id=1290

Edit - they also charge a 'no box fee' of $7, for some reason. I forget why.

post #15 of 28 Old 04-16-2013, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

$74, plus shipping, for 50' of 2" orange Carlon, from Smarthome.

http://www.smarthome.com/2555/2-Inch-Flexible-Raceway-Tubing-50-feet/p.aspx

post #16 of 28 Old 04-16-2013, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

$74, plus shipping, for 50' of 2" orange Carlon, from Smarthome.

http://www.smarthome.com/2555/2-Inch-Flexible-Raceway-Tubing-50-feet/p.aspx

I found a cheap place online with affordable shipping. SmartHome claims cheap shipping.....but the item is heavy, so it's exempt. At $86.76 for shipping with SmartHome, that's exactly why I started looking locally!

ASIHome looks promising. Loeb Electric was the place I called this afternoon. They made it sound like they'd call right back, but I haven't heard back. I bet they accidentally "lost" my number. smile.gif

I'm familiar with the brochure because it was helpful when I started looking @ Graybar. Perhaps local prices aren't really any cheaper like I thought they'd be. I'm really surprised that the price @ City Electric isn't better. I was thinking about calling them. I decided against it, when I realized that they don't list their locations in their locations, just phone numbers. I thought that was WEIRD!

I might check out Graybar before just ordering online.

Thanks for others who've helped!
post #17 of 28 Old 04-16-2013, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Talked to Graybar, they were friendly and apparently take cash/credit customers (sweet!).

Surprisingly though, they said they don't really carry 2" flex conduit of any type normally. He said 1" flex was the largest they normally carried.

Hopefully Graybar is a good option for any other electrical needs (deep electrical boxes for Grafik Eye or something) , but 2" conduit apparently is a rather unusual item.

I'm sure they could special order it, but that that rate... I'll just buy it online.
post #18 of 28 Old 04-16-2013, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadez336 View Post

I scooped up the blue version of it at Menards.

I'm guessing 3/4 or 1"?

That's all I've ever seen.
post #19 of 28 Old 04-16-2013, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Is this a typo(maybe it's 1/2", not 2"?) or is this not the variety of conduit you want? I know you don't need metal for LV, but it seems like a good value, unless it's a bad product to use.

Southwire 2" metal conduit. 100ft, $60 - free to ship to store. Item #: 35549 | Model #: 55082303
http://www.lowes.com/pd_35549-295-55082303_0__?Ntt=35549&UserSearch=35549&productId=3193349&rpp=32
post #20 of 28 Old 04-16-2013, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post

Is this a typo(maybe it's 1/2', not 2"?) or is this not the variety of conduit you want? I know you don't need metal for LV, but it seems like a good value, unless it's a bad product to use.

Southwire 2" metal conduit. 100ft, $60 - free to ship to store. Item #: 35549 | Model #: 55082303
http://www.lowes.com/pd_35549-295-55082303_0__?Ntt=35549&UserSearch=35549&productId=3193349&rpp=32
typo. it's 3/4". http://www.amazon.com/Southwire-55082303-100-Feet-Alflex-Type-Aluminum/dp/B000BPHNTA
post #21 of 28 Old 04-17-2013, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I looked at the first link, I figured based on the price it HAD to be a typo, but I hadn't looked up the part.

Thanks for checking!

I wasn't really thinking of metal, but might have considered it for the right price.
post #22 of 28 Old 04-17-2013, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Some people use rigid gray PVC schedule 40 ENT for their basement -> attic chase. Cheaper than flex.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=72813-72982-67496&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3129573&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

post #23 of 28 Old 04-17-2013, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

Some people use rigid gray PVC schedule 40 ENT for their basement -> attic chase. Cheaper than flex.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=72813-72982-67496&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3129573&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

I've been planning on using some rigid.

I wanted to use flex in a couple places where it's harder to run. I'm also planning on using flex to connect the rigid in the ceiling to the walls -- to keep from coupling the walls to the ceiling when using rigid.

It's not something that I would have thought of, but I saw Ted White mention the concern with coupling in another thread. Makes sense.
post #24 of 28 Old 04-17-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:

I'm guessing 3/4 or 1"?

That's all I've ever seen.

I just checked and it was 1 1/2" in diameter from Menards. I was able to run a monoprice HDMI cable and 4 ethernet cables along with 2 strings of thin rope for future run in it with no problems. I still have room for a couple more wires to fit as well. I had originally put it in for future use but after all was said and done I made the bonehead mistake and forgot to run these cables prior to drywall and ended up using my future tubing right away. mad.gif
post #25 of 28 Old 04-17-2013, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, Menards carried 1.5", I'm surprised! I'll have to double check locally.

Did you have any issues with running the HDMI cable? Lots of people seem to say that 2" is the way to go for HDMI - was just curious if you had any issues pulling it.
post #26 of 28 Old 04-17-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:

Wow, Menards carried 1.5", I'm surprised! I'll have to double check locally.

Did you have any issues with running the HDMI cable? Lots of people seem to say that 2" is the way to go for HDMI - was just curious if you had any issues pulling it.

I was surprised as well when I saw it. They only had two 25' rolls I believe it was so I grabbed both. Maybe you can ask someone there if they could order it and at what lengths if they don't have it in stock. As far as running the HDMI through I did not have any trouble except your occasional catching of the grooves. I'd assume that happens with any size of tubing with the grooves. I did however have trouble running the additional 4 ethernet cables wound together afterwards so I just ran them individually and all went well.
post #27 of 28 Old 04-17-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Most HDMI connectors fit in 1.5" flex conduit. Some fit in 1". I don't know about Redmere, a current popular choice for long-ish runs.

Install the conduit empty. Install the cables OUTSIDE the conduit during construction. Install all the cables that you think you might ever need. The conduit is for future cables that you forgot, or are not made yet (HDMI 1.5).

post #28 of 28 Old 04-17-2013, 02:32 PM

Just so you know my HDMI cable in the tubing is the black Monoprice HDMI cable. Not the new Redmere cables. And yes if you can run all your cables you'll think you'll ever need before hand. I ran 2 HDMI and 4 ethernet to every location except this one. I don't know how I missed it. I was so pissed I had to use the tubing right away but glad I ran it because I would have been screwed had I not ran it.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page