AV rack got some attention finally. It's simple but holds the little equipment I'll be putting in the room. It'll be recessed flush in a wall within the bar, thus not visible from the seating.
The other side of this wall is the utility closet where the furnace and hot water tank are. I actually had to move my hot water tank around in the closet to make some room for the rack, but still wasn't enough, so I had to notch out a corner of the rack to wrap around the hot water tank so that both could fit.
First thing I did was run a 15A circuit mount 2 3 gang boxes for a total of 12 outlets, which still isn't enough really.
Then I drywalled the inside of the utility closet and put a few lbs of duct seal over the electrical boxes
Since the 3' tall rack is raised up the wall to eye level, I built a stand to hold it up so that the AV rack and stand are decoupled from the framing.
Gave it a few coats of black rattle can, added 2 shelves for some stuff that won't go on display such as the whole home DVR with its noisy fans and hard drives. The stand is secured to the framing with IB-3 brackets for a bit of isolation. I also added some rubber bumpers to the feet to isolate it from the slab.
Then I worked on hacking up an old AV stand I bought on craigslist for $20. It's already got a black vinyl woodgrain look to it, has all the holes drilled for adjustable shelves, so saved me a bunch of work on starting from scratch. I basically disassembled it, cut it in half on my table saw and reassembled one half of it. I added GG and drywall for mass and damping and here's what it looked like waiting for GG to dry over 2 days.
Here it is mocked up in place looking from behind.
Access to the back is important so I was able to salvage what was one of the front doors and it's hinges and use it now as a back door, accessible from within the utility closet. Due to the notch to fit around the hot water tank, I had to remove the lower hinge, cut the door, and relocate the hinge higher up the door. I used the cut off portion of the door, after removing the hinge, as a template for drilling new holes for the hinge.
Here it is with modified back door installed.
Then I added a 1" wide door stop all around the perimeter as well as some foam gasket for a nice seal.
Lastly, I drilled 2 2" holes, 1 through the top, the other through the bottom to run in all the speaker cable, HDMI, power, etc. I then sleeved the holes with some 2" in wall vacuum tubing left over from the conduit runs, secured with acoustic sealant. I figure I'll use some non drying/hardening plasticine to plug up any gap left in each hole after all the cables are run.
Here it is finished in place, awaiting drywall, with a couple AVRs in just to see what it will eventually look like in the end.
I'll be adding another amp, PS3, and an Apple TV to the stand so it'll be full already.
on a slightly different note, I don't like this new version of the forum for photos. Maybe I'm missing something, but the only way I could upload photos was through the Insert Image Icon, which then only presented a dialog box for a url. I had to use this in conjunction with 'manage attachments'- not fun; takes forever to upload, no small, medium, large options.