Urgent........second layer screw length - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 04-13-2013, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
doublewing11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Timber Country!
Posts: 3,215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 173
First layer of OSB is done after using 1-1/4 inch Grabber fine thread screw.............so far so good!

Green glue and second layer of 5/8 sheet rock is about to commence but can only source 1-5/8's inch Grabber screw.....been looking for 2" grabbers but special order would take 7 days which is too late due to drywall coming Tuesday.

Will 1-5/8's " fine thread Grabber screw be adequate for 5/8'' osb, GG, then 5/8 inch Drywall? Help is gladly appreciated.............and yes, I've already searched the question. smile.gif
doublewing11 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 04-13-2013, 06:30 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR
 
BIGmouthinDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 20,426
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 507
I would grab 2 inch fine thread screws of any brand if you can't get the Grabber. It will be fine, I think I'm the one that promoted Grabber and I like them but I've also used Grip-Tite from Home Depot without issue.
BIGmouthinDC is online now  
post #3 of 12 Old 04-13-2013, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Johnsteph10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: GA
Posts: 4,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
5/8 + 5/8 = 1 2/8
1 5/8 screw

= 3/8 penetration into studs...

You definitely want to go more.

I used Griptite without any issues. I'm surprised you can't find the Grabber in 2 inch lengths... have you tried a drywall supplier vs. the big box stores? I got mine much cheaper through my drywall supplier than I ever could have through Lowes/HD.

John

Loganed...finally. 6/6/08
My 3.0 HT Build Thread
Johnsteph10 is offline  
post #4 of 12 Old 04-14-2013, 04:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
JRock3x8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Is he screwing into studs or furring strips? If furring strips, then wouldn't it not matter re screw length?
JRock3x8 is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 04-14-2013, 04:33 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR
 
BIGmouthinDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 20,426
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post

Is he screwing into studs or furring strips? If furring strips, then wouldn't it not matter re screw length?

Since he said FINE thread screws for the first layer I assume he is screwing to metal hat channel in a Resilient clip and channel system. That being the case, it is critical to use the correct length screw so that no scew makes contact with a stud and short circuits the decoupling system. Even when you are careful, keeping track of where the studs/joists when you are focused on hitting the channel is tedious and drywall crews slap up the screws with mindless abandon as long as they hit the channel. Using the correct length makes the process fool proof as long as you hide the two inch screws until the first layer is up. First layer 1 1/4 second layer 2. You want to be sure the second layer is secure to the channel not just the first layer.
BIGmouthinDC is online now  
post #6 of 12 Old 04-14-2013, 04:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
JRock3x8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Since he said FINE thread screws for the first layer I assume he is screwing to metal hat channel in a Resilient clip and channel system. That being the case, it is critical to use the correct length screw so that no scew makes contact with a stud and short circuits the decoupling system. Even when you are careful, keeping track of where the studs/joists when you are focused on hitting the channel is tedious and drywall crews slap up the screws with mindless abandon as long as they hit the channel. Using the correct length makes the process fool proof as long as you hide the two inch screws until the first layer is up. First layer 1 1/4 second layer 2. You want to be sure the second layer is secure to the channel not just the first layer.

The part I can't figure out is that the furring channel is only 1/16" thick so it seems to me that any screw that penetrates it is going to fasten or hold but it seems like you're saying that's not the case?
JRock3x8 is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 04-14-2013, 05:32 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR
 
BIGmouthinDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 20,426
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 507
A screw is tapered you want to get a good grip on the channel. Using at 1 5/8 screw to attach 1 1/4 inch of material is cutting it too close, I've tried. Use the 2
BIGmouthinDC is online now  
post #8 of 12 Old 04-14-2013, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
doublewing11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Timber Country!
Posts: 3,215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

A screw is tapered you want to get a good grip on the channel. Using at 1 5/8 screw to attach 1 1/4 inch of material is cutting it too close, I've tried. Use the 2

This was my exact concern........................

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

I would grab 2 inch fine thread screws of any brand if you can't get the Grabber. It will be fine, I think I'm the one that promoted Grabber and I like them but I've also used Grip-Tite from Home Depot without issue.

Yes, and the reason why I sourced the grabber screws. At first, I was a little concerned experimenting with small pieces of channel with these screws........they wouldn't hold anything.......it wasn't until we torqued down and changed to screw gun rather than rattle guns did they show promise. Spinning the screws is very easy to do.............and I'm glad I took 10 minutes to experiment!
doublewing11 is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 04-14-2013, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
doublewing11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Timber Country!
Posts: 3,215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Been all over a 75 mile radius...........drywall suppliers.............big box stores........local builder supply business..........no one has 2" grabber. 1-1/4, 1-5/8, and 2-1/2 inch fine thread screws are abundant, but not 2 inch........go figure!

If 2" griptite works............then I'll hand the drywaller crew those.........

thanks to all........I'm good to go.
doublewing11 is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 04-14-2013, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
JRock3x8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

A screw is tapered you want to get a good grip on the channel. Using at 1 5/8 screw to attach 1 1/4 inch of material is cutting it too close, I've tried. Use the 2

Got it. Thanks for explaining.
JRock3x8 is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 04-15-2013, 10:14 AM
235
Senior Member
 
235's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 482
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

This was my exact concern........................
Yes, and the reason why I sourced the grabber screws. At first, I was a little concerned experimenting with small pieces of channel with these screws........they wouldn't hold anything.......it wasn't until we torqued down and changed to screw gun rather than rattle guns did they show promise. Spinning the screws is very easy to do.............and I'm glad I took 10 minutes to experiment!

I think that's the problem I had on my first layer. Contractor started with 1 1/4 fine thread through 5/8 OSB into 25 gauge hat channel but it wasn't holding. He quickly switched to coarse thread and those held. I think the problem may have been the high speed gun he was using mad.gif. My 2nd layer isn't up yet so maybe I can get him to switch to 2" fine thread on 2nd layer. I hope coarse on the first layer is safe to leave as-is?
235 is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 04-15-2013, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
doublewing11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Timber Country!
Posts: 3,215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by 235 View Post

I think that's the problem I had on my first layer. Contractor started with 1 1/4 fine thread through 5/8 OSB into 25 gauge hat channel but it wasn't holding. He quickly switched to coarse thread and those held. I think the problem may have been the high speed gun he was using mad.gif. My 2nd layer isn't up yet so maybe I can get him to switch to 2" fine thread on 2nd layer. I hope coarse on the first layer is safe to leave as-is?

Torquing the driver is key.............I tacked up several 4 X 8 sheets of 5/8's OSB with only 4-5 screws and came back the next day and screwed in the rest at 4-6 inch intervals. I feel comfortable the sheets will hold even through a massive earthquake!

The only issue I have now is watching over the drywall crew and supervise their guns are torqued correctly. I have scrap around and will have them test their drivers........or let them use mine.
doublewing11 is offline  
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off