The retirement dream home theater - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 377 Old 02-25-2014, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Question then... I had not thought of having a stage...Is there something important about having a stage? I was just going to have a audio transparent curtain to the sides and make a black moveable frame to suit the image. This is going to involve a friend of mine who is big into making things happen. The masking is quite interesting and that is my next BIG port of call.

Many Thanks

Mark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 377 Old 02-25-2014, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Stage is decoupled from the rest of the room I used roofing felt others use the acoustic mats and are used primarily as in my case to run electric and speaker wires through and stuffed with insulation to absorb base (base trap). In a basement build they put sand in them so the Subwoofer sitting on the stage does not vibrate the rest of the house as concrete does allow sound waves to travel nicely. This added mass helps with the Base as well. Since I am in a second floor build I can’t put a ton of sand in the stage without structural damage and only used the pink insulation. I do fell the rumble but I like it. I have seen rooms where the stage itself is built out no further than the screen wall. Then the treatment around the screen wall includes the stage so it is all black plush velvet. Go to the show me your master thread sticky and check the show me your completed rooms or the before and after threads for some ideas but it sounds like you already have some. I was tossing around having velvet panels or curtains like you but like the front like it is now.
post #363 of 377 Old 02-25-2014, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

As me all the questions about other subjects here so we do not have to hijack the sound proffing thread
post #364 of 377 Old 02-26-2014, 02:11 AM

Liked: 10

Hi

I was concerned that my questions were in danger of a hijacking. I am very happy to open up a separate thread and invite people to contribute. I dont want to  detract from your home theatre project thread. SHould I open up a new thread - my only concern with this was to stop the high degree of 'chaff' that you sometimes get on these forums. Also I feel as if I am being somewhat overbearing in my questions and I guess you have your own ship to sail. Mind you I could also match you for gardens and John Deere's - although my garden tractor is like this!!! I steers from the rear..   I used to have a wonderful Wheel Horse but that died. I need the front cutter deck to get under the many plants my wife has planted around the edges of the lawn!! Let me know how to play this forum

Regards from the Spring Sunshine!

post #365 of 377 Old 02-26-2014, 03:43 PM

Liked: 15
Your build thread has been a pleasure to rewad through. I love ground up whole house builds! Thanks for all the detailed pics and information. You're situation is a goal of mine (5 acres open field, Nice house with projects, etc...) I'm a few years/decade away, so no rush ^_^. Keep the updates rolling!
post #366 of 377 Old 02-26-2014, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post

My build is above the garage I am not calling it a bonus room because I designed the house (along with builder and architect) for that area to be a theater. I lowered the roof of the workshop to accommodate the front of the theater to be 12” lower than the rear which is on level with the rest of the upstairs. In the first few pages of my thread you will see I used acoustical caulk in all of the cracks and holes between the garage and the theater. We also installed a second subfloor of ¾” Tung & Grove OSB using green glue and again every crack had acoustical caulk. The ceiling of the garage was spray foam and I had electrician put putty pads on the light fixtures and outlet for the openers. If there was living space down there I would have used R19 vise the spray foam and did a DW/GG/DW on the ceiling of that space with IB-1 clips.
caulk in garage

you can see the caulk here

Here you can see the green glue on the 3/4" T&G and also the caulk on orginal sub floor and second sub floor going in.

we also put OSB on the 2x12 used to lower the work shop ceiling

pile of T&G

spray foam

caulk on second sub floor
temp-1.jpg
I did not take picture of putty pad in garage ceiling but here is one in the wall between theater and billiard room
20130524_172153.jpg
I will have to see if I can find it. It may have been in the show me your completed room thread and the person did not have his build linked in his name

Did you use acoustic caulk on all the walls too, or just the ceiling joists?

Denon 4520ci, 3 JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, 3 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, 4 Klipsch HIPs, 2 Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, 3 Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000u, 2 Danley DTS10 subs, & Yamaha P7000s.
post #367 of 377 Old 02-27-2014, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulFSemicolen View Post

Your build thread has been a pleasure to rewad through. I love ground up whole house builds! Thanks for all the detailed pics and information. You're situation is a goal of mine (5 acres open field, Nice house with projects, etc...) I'm a few years/decade away, so no rush ^_^. Keep the updates rolling!
Thanks for checking in every time there was a delay in the build my builder said the theater is not ready anyway! I was out there every night and weekends so I was able to watch the house being built so to speak. There were times when a week would go buy and nothing would have been done on the house. I believe a lot of the delays were because he paid the subs as they went so if I were a sub and I had 75% of what I was going to get on a job 15 miles out or put my crew on 4 jobs in local I would do the same thing. Time is money and they have to spend time on the road! Same for the supervisor he had 15-20 homes in 4 subdivisions and mine 20 miles away. At least the builder let me build the theater while still under construction.
PaulFSemicolen likes this.
post #368 of 377 Old 02-27-2014, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post

Did you use acoustic caulk on all the walls too, or just the ceiling joists?
I also put two layers of 5/8” DW on billiard room side. For the outlet on the billiard side I used an adjustable outlet and caulked around the outlet on that side. Drywall guys make big holes using the zip tool around outlets that need attention. I also caulked the seams between the sheets of the billiard room drywall on the theater side.

You can just make out the caulk between the sheets of drywall at the bottom of this picture

I also caulked every wire intrusion

Bottom line: if there was a hole or seem or crack I put caulk in it! eek.gif Did I need go to this extreme I don’t know but results speak for them self. I have a totally sealed room and the weakest link is the door. I am really pleased with my sound proofing. biggrin.gif There is some debate going on over on the sound proofing sticky about the use of caulk check it out.
post #369 of 377 Old 04-28-2014, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

just Logan me now this is just a shameless bump because my thread fell way down on my subscribed list rolleyes.gif
post #370 of 377 Old 04-28-2014, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 50
Outstanding
post #371 of 377 Old 04-29-2014, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks JNNT29 I hope you were refering to the theater and not the shamless bump
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnnt29 View Post

Outstanding
post #372 of 377 Old 05-23-2014, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Bump to keep it up for my 2nd story build
post #373 of 377 Old 05-27-2014, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

thanks Rino11 I have been working out side a lot latly
post #374 of 377 Old 05-27-2014, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino11 View Post

Bump to keep it up for my 2nd story build
Thanks Rino11 I have been working outside a lot lately if you have any questions prior to your build thread post them here also send me your build thread link
post #375 of 377 Old 05-27-2014, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Will do. But just moving in and honey do's is going to slow my progress. But I have got some of my subs in already. smile.gif
post #376 of 377 Old 05-27-2014, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

thats my problem spent all 4 days of the long weekend doing the same washing cars, mowing grass on 5 acers, mulch for the play yard and so on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino11 View Post

Will do. But just moving in and honey do's is going to slow my progress. But I have got some of my subs in already. smile.gif
post #377 of 377 Old 05-29-2014, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I decided to consolidate all my HVAC into one post
I have a 2nd floor build with HVAC in attic but same principle. Here are two of my 6”supply lines and my 10” return line

Bring the return in the center I have a 12"x24" soffit in the rear I used as my muffler. I used 1 1/2" duct liner in the soffit.

here you see how I split the soffit with OSB to form the dead vent making a T from the return to run the dead vent in both directions

here is the dead vent lined with the duct liner I have a 6x16" return one each end.

finished product

with the supplies you bring them into the soffit

I had two supplies on each side the soffit in front had not been hung yet

front snaked around toward the back the center snaked from the rear

build mufflers

hang

stuff with pink stuff

hang OSB cut hole

repeat for drywall
granroth likes this.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List