The retirement dream home theater - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 377 Old 07-29-2013, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 118
lay out the trim for fit the painter stained them the same color as the trim on the stairs

biscuit joints

way to many pics of finished product

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 377 Old 07-29-2013, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Looks Good - great progress - no "snail's pace" here.

Seems like you are getting very serious about mid-low frequency reflections from that back wall:
- With the mineral wool and fiberglass what is your combined total absorption thickness?
- I assume the facing on the fiberglass top layer is to make sure the room is NOT too dead for upper frequencies?
- Will the facing be painted dark, if so; what are you plans for the final back wall covering ....

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #183 of 377 Old 07-29-2013, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

thanks Cuzed2 when I built my double wall in the rear I used 2x8s to frame the door that way with 2 layers of 5/8" DW and GG I had just short of 3" of the 2x8 exposed. I used 2x4s 2 deep to frame where the crown, chair rail, and base molding will go with 2x4 ripped to 3" coming up the columns. The Mineral Wool and fiber board are both 1 1/2" so 3” total. I will staple fabric to the framing and install the door trim and molding to hold it all in place and cover the staples. You can see the framing in these shots where I framed around the switches. Yes the FSK is to keep the highs in the room at least that is what I have read.

post #184 of 377 Old 07-29-2013, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

On a side note the HVAC was turned on in the house Thursday and the theater room with the 4 supply’s and the cold air return was the coldest room on the upstairs unit. We were going to make some dust so I was blocking off the returns. As soon as I put my hand up there I could feel the air being sucked/pushed through them so splitting the single return into one on each side through the soffit really worked well.

post #185 of 377 Old 07-29-2013, 01:16 PM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Nice, Bill. Good position to be in to damper excess capacity vs. suffering with insufficient capacity. It the theater going to be zoned separately or will you have a remote temperature sensor in the room to activate the system when needed?
post #186 of 377 Old 07-30-2013, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tim if needed I will get some dampers and a sister Tsat for the theater.

post #187 of 377 Old 07-30-2013, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Looking good, looking really good. Is this project turning out to be a lot more involved than you had initially planned? How is the wife feeling about this?

Maybe with it taking some real shape, it's easier for her to see that it's going to be an awesome space when it's done.

;
;

post #188 of 377 Old 07-31-2013, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

How the wife feels eek.gif then mad.gif then oh that looks really good smile.gif As we say in the Army there has been a lot of mission creep but when you look at a lot of the nice theaters here than no I would say I am on track. In my mind I see the finished product it just takes some convincing of the wife. Her most used line is you keep adding more stuff to do we will never be done. biggrin.gif She was against the columns (takes to much space out of the room and will make it look small) stage (where are the grand children going to sit)and why do you need the oak on the riser and other stuff like that but when her friends come in she explains everything in detail. All my builder can say is damn I have never seen anything like this in a home rolleyes.gif

post #189 of 377 Old 07-31-2013, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I gues you will have to suffer through som house pics here is Judy's kitchen
here dream range hood

her wall of stainless

post #190 of 377 Old 07-31-2013, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 262
You know, I'm not one to harp on tradition, but most kitchens have a sink smile.gif

J/K, I'm guessing it's next to the dishwasher in that second pic. Kitchen looks great! Love the vent. Is that an induction cook top?

Oh, and the theater is coming along nicely as well!

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

post #191 of 377 Old 07-31-2013, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That is the double oven/built in microwave/fridge wall. The sink and DW are in the bar between the breakfast area. I will take a pic tonight just for u
here is the pre stainless and cabinet doors

post #192 of 377 Old 07-31-2013, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks great! That cabinet finish goes well with the black granite. Those pendants look like they were made for the space as well. Looks like you guys have a good eye for decorating! I'm envious!

I ask about the cooktop because we had to have the cable to our induction cook top replaced (twice) because they undersized it. Apparently the electricians in our area have not put in many, and didn't realize what size breaker/cable it needed. I actually had to double check with the manual that came with it, and have them come out one last time to put in the right size.

post #193 of 377 Old 07-31-2013, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I will have to check on the cook top but it is the one the builder uses when folks upgrade so I am hoping the electrican is familer with it.

post #194 of 377 Old 07-31-2013, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

It's easy enough to check. I pulled out the manual and it was very specific that it required a 50 A breaker. A 50 amp service requires a #8 wire I believe.

All this is a non issue if that is a conventional conduction type cooktop. smile.gif

post #195 of 377 Old 08-05-2013, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

small update but is not theater related finally completed and moving furniture and tons of boxes in.
Front of house they are still working on screned porch in the rear

here is the drive my workshop is on the right notice the door was only 7' vise 8' tall like the other bays.This was to accommodate the ceiling being 1' lower for the built in riser.

over the weekend we were waste deep in boxes and had to put them somewhere so a quick trip to Lowes and $160 in lumber and screws plus some well deserved beer after the sawing stopped this is the wall seperating the shop from the other garage bays cool.gif

post #196 of 377 Old 08-05-2013, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmiller View Post

First of all thank you for your lifetime of service to our country! What a nice house plan. That many bedrooms might invite some family members to move back in with you though biggrin.gif

A great size for your room. Lots of possibilities.
you hit the nail on the head DV my Daughter, Son-in-law and their 3 kids are moving back in. LOL at least someone to help me with mowing the 5 acres

post #197 of 377 Old 08-08-2013, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I got home from work last night to this

to show size of squares size 12 foot this is the most accurate pic for color

the installer sent me some dark pics today stage step done

working on riser

maybe when I get home it will be done. funny thing is wife picked out the carpet when I was a work one day. She kept sending me Pics from the store until I said that one.

post #198 of 377 Old 08-08-2013, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

That carpet looks very nice in your pictures, and not nearly as nice in the phone pics. I guess the camera makes a huge difference! Anyway, nice choice for the carpet, you are getting closer to "job complete" on this.

;
;

post #199 of 377 Old 08-09-2013, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

yes we will be doing the rest of the trim this week end

post #200 of 377 Old 08-12-2013, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I didn't get to the trim do to the unloading of boxes and painter finally decided to show up Sat. I’m like **** can't trim now. So we decided to go get paint to match the red carpet and fabric I will use. I figure Red is red if the columns and coffer match the carpet the fabric on the panels will look good even if the red is just a touch off. At least that is the lie I am telling myself. After we got back Scott started pulling the outlets buried under the carpet pad out and putting on the plates while I worked the switches. I am just putting in standard switches with a manual dimmer on the sconces. The automation is to come later when it is on sale.

here are some shots of the carpet. The guys took over 2 days and I think the last 1/2 day was on both the corners of the stage where all the nice angles and the step join the column. It looks great.

here you see the cat 5 for my LED strips on the steps

Dude said he went to all the pattern courses and is qualified. He was right. from step looking down

some shots of the corner

post #201 of 377 Old 08-12-2013, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wife said the carpet is in get thoes chairs out of my common area. Yes dear. rolleyes.gif

Plently of room between column chairs and step.

biggrin.gif

post #202 of 377 Old 08-12-2013, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 68
WOW - great choices!
Nice carpet !!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #203 of 377 Old 08-12-2013, 01:23 PM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Very nice. You really found a quality installer for that patterned carpet. Looks like it won't be long now!!
post #204 of 377 Old 08-12-2013, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

WOW - great choices!
Nice carpet !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

Very nice. You really found a quality installer for that patterned carpet. Looks like it won't be long now!!
As luck would have it he was the sub contractor the builder used for the rest of the house and since my wife got the carpet from the same shop the builder uses and it all happened before closing “bonus he paid for it all!!!!” biggrin.gif $2k for the carpet and whatever the floor guy charged him to install!!! Builder kept saying I know there are some cost overruns in here somewhere I'm thinking yea like the sconces, carpet, extra lumber, OSB, drywall delivery charges and so on! smile.gifcool.gif

post #205 of 377 Old 08-12-2013, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If someone ask me how much my build cost I will have to say $400,000 because that is what the house cost and other than the sound proofing stuff, insulation and screws he provided me all the materiel.

post #206 of 377 Old 08-13-2013, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post

If someone ask me how much my build cost I will have to say $400,000 because that is what the house cost and other than the sound proofing stuff, insulation and screws he provided me all the materiel.

Yes but what do you think finishing the THEATER added to the cost of just having a normal, mundane room? It sounds like the actual cost is "unknown" or "undefined" since a lot of it got built-in (no pun intended) to the cost of building the house.

1) The carpet guy did an awesome job with pattern matching
2) Room looks great, I know that it will be finished soon and you will get years and years of use out of it. Do you have any plans for the first movie you will watch, or are you excited for Football to get started?

;
;

post #207 of 377 Old 08-13-2013, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post

This might be buried in this thread somewhere: Is building slab on grade common (or required) in GA, and what is the square footage of the whole house?
post #208 of 377 Old 08-13-2013, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie View Post

This might be buried in this thread somewhere: Is building slab on grade common (or required) in GA, and what is the square footage of the whole house?

I'll field the first part. Yes, it's very common to build a house on slab in the Southeast. The frostline is only a couple inches at most, so there's no need for a deep footing here. Only deep enough to support the walls, so there's no need to excavate much unless the house is being built specifically with a basement.

post #209 of 377 Old 08-13-2013, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Djkest
My daughter said we are doing the LOTR extended version marathon. LOL We are really looking forward to it. smile.gif

To do list
Unpack boxes mad.gif
Electricians finish my 100 amp box and get power hopefully Wednesday biggrin.gif
Terminate the connections for my LAN wink.gif
Build furniture my wife keeps buying mad.gif
Finish trim smile.gif
Move furniture mad.gif
Fabric on rear wall and build panels biggrin.gif
Unpack boxes mad.gif
Window plug wink.gif
Try to find garage eek.gif
Screen wall smile.gif
Unpack boxes maybe the garage is under there somewhere mad.gif
Build DIY screen debating on spandex or by material from Seymour. I was also looking at having a screen built by Falcon Screens cool.gif
Unpack boxes mad.gif
Build some Subs smile.gif
Build some L/C/Rs smile.gif
Buy AVR or pre pro biggrin.gif
Buy projector wink.gif
Install gear in media closet cool.gif
Dave Vaughn likes this.

post #210 of 377 Old 08-13-2013, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie View Post

floor plan called for 4200 sq ft but I know I am larger as the theater was suposed to be 18'x23' but was 20'x 23' prior to drywall. they aprased it at 3955 sq ft without the theater which is 440 sq ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

I'll field the first part. Yes, it's very common to build a house on slab in the Southeast. The frostline is only a couple inches at most, so there's no need for a deep footing here. Only deep enough to support the walls, so there's no need to excavate much unless the house is being built specifically with a basement.
Correct normally the only basements you find in the south east are walkout due to house being built on a sloped grade or something like that the soil is either sand or clay around here. I lucked out since this was prime pasture I have some really good top soil but it did not take them long to hit the clay. There are also a lot of ponds around here which is another reason. You don’t want to have a pool in the basement. For the well they hit water at 200 ft and went another 50 ft for good measure I am getting 26 gallons per min which is unheard of.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page