Last Minute Drywall Questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-19-2013, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Getting ready to drywall tomorrow, have everything in order except for a few things and just wanted to make sure I do it right. Been reading a lot on these forums about vertical vs horizontal. My ceilings are only 6'7" and i've read vertical is better and easier for a DIY job because of less seams and joints to mud plus the recession in the drywall vertically helps as well.

In a double wall setup you only take the ceiling to the interior wall correct? The exterior of the double wall, that drywall just goes all the way up to the ceiling joists?

Do I leave a 1/8 to 1/4" gap between all contact surfaces like the floor?

Do I line each and every seam and joint on both layers of DW with the acoustical sealant I have? What would be the best way to flatten it out on the first layer so the second layer sits nice and flush?

I purchased a router tool with a drywall cutting bit and tested it out and it could not make it through 2 layers of drywall. Are there longer bits or should I just hand saw it or perhaps a jigsaw.

I know to do the first layer of the ceiling first then the walls. How much space is there between the stud framing of the walls and the drywall on the ceiling?

I don't need to mud and tape the exterior wall do I?

Thanks everyone, been doing so much reading up on this and watching videos, loading and unloading my everything hurts. Think I'll start calling it Crywall.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-20-2013, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm not an expert, so I won't comment on everything. But I'll be happy to be the first reply. smile.gif

One goal is definitely to minimize seams. With the ceiling height you list, horizontal placement is an option - you will just need to cut the edge that will be against the ceiling and the floor so you have a straight, non-recessed edge there. This approach lets you use longer panels to minimize seams - if that makes sense based on your room dimensions. (Or if you have the option to still buy them, since you mentioned you have everything ready to go.)

I finished a bonus room that had approx 8' ceiling in the center with sloping sections that were another 7' feet. I made the mistake of listening to the guys who were going to help me put up the drywall who said "you don't need a drywal lift" when it was time to do the ceiling. That was a big mistake. Lots of durabond to fix the gaps caused by slapping 5/8" drywall up against the joists and having to quickly get the screws in before they drop it. Rented the lift for the side slopes and it was the best decision I made. It was maybe $65 to rent for 2 days. Definitely recommend you rent a drywall lift when it is time to do the ceiling. Assembles easy, lay the drywall on the outriggers, crank it up to the ceiling, jiggle into place, screw at your leisure. 5/8" is definitely heavier than what many of these guys are used to that are giving that advice. (They recanted it at the end of the day by the way, with the disclaimer they had always used 1/2")

Good luck. Are you going to mud it yourself? It is a good skill to learn, and if you're patient you can make it turn out very nice. If you can afford to outsource, it will probably be done a lot faster than if you do yourself. smile.gif I was planning to outsource, but our Golden Retriever tore both ACL's and his surgery used up my outsource funding. Was able to pay a contractor to help me get started and show me the ropes, and did it myself. Got it done, but it took much longer than if I had outsourced. But - I added a partition in my basement to wall off A/C and furnace sounds from the other half of my unfinished basement where my HT is, and was able to finish myself with the skills I learned. Turned out nice, and my budget was much happier. This of course, took longer than if I would have outsourced it as well, but nice to be able to point and say you did it all yourself. smile.gif

Dave
mijotter likes this.

post #3 of 11 Old 04-20-2013, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Dave. Anyone chime in on the other questions posted. Was also wondering what would be the best way to drywall these holes in the wall where my fish tanks are going.

Was thinking putting the drywall up normal then cutting it out. Then I read seams and butt joints should be part of where a hole that big will be cut out. Could someone explain the best process for me. Thanks.

post #4 of 11 Old 04-20-2013, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anyone?

post #5 of 11 Old 04-20-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Are you using clips and channel? If not, it doesn't really matter how you do it, but it would normally be ceiling, then wall first layer, ceiling again, wall second layer.

Yes, leave a gap at the bottom so you can seal it with acoustical caulk.

Yes, standups (vertical sheets) would be easier to spackle, so I would use them (at least on the second layer).

No, you do not need to seal the seams in the first layer, but many of us do.. caulk is cheap.

When in doubt, refer to soundproofing company details.

Tim
mijotter likes this.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-20-2013, 01:59 PM

Sorry for the delay. Been busy running errands and getting the house/HT clean for a movie night. :-)

Regarding your fish-tank hole - I would do it like you would do for a window or door and put the drywall up covering the hole, then cut it out. The opening looks big enough that you won't be able to cover with one sheet and cut out and will need two pieces. Make sure the joint is not on an edge or it will likely crack over time. Do one panel at a time and cut out then rather than after you have the hole completely covered. It will be a lot easier to cut out that way. When done, you'll come back and apply corner bead on all the edges.

Good luck.
mijotter likes this.

post #7 of 11 Old 04-21-2013, 07:36 AM

How did yesterday go?

post #8 of 11 Old 04-21-2013, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Went surprisingly well for my first time putting up drywall,. Got both layers of the exterior wall of the double wall Green glued and up and cut around the big openings for the fish tanks as well:) Just realized you're from Ohio too, where abouts?

post #9 of 11 Old 04-21-2013, 02:21 PM

Glad to hear it went well.

I live on the West side of Cleveland. Toledo is about 1.5 hours from me.

post #10 of 11 Old 05-24-2013, 06:50 PM

Ready to post pics of your handiwork yet?

post #11 of 11 Old 05-27-2013, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well I did get the first 2 layers of the double wall system put up and the second wall framed including around the fish tanks however there are lots of materials and equipment along that wall now while I work on the other side. Sorry:( Pics will be soon however. Thanks for interest.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page