AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

As for the rest wink.gif :
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1449924/simplified-rew-setup-and-use-usb-mic-hdmi-connection-including-measurement-techniques-and-how-to-interpret-graphs

http://sourceforge.net/p/equalizerapo/wiki/Documentation/

Getting OT, so PM me or get help on those other threads if you need more info (or encouragement).
Michael
Wow, a lot has changed over the past 6 months when I was last looking into this! (Primarily the availability of easy, calibrated USB mics which greatly simplify connections) Thx for the link. biggrin.gif

We now return to our regular demo disc thread chat...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 761 Old 06-13-2013, 03:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 273
awesome. cant wait for the BD50

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #363 of 761 Old 06-13-2013, 04:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great work on them! Pulse server room scene is crazy.
post #364 of 761 Old 06-13-2013, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

It was the post earlier regarding being able to hear the footsteps and the breathing. I wasn't able to hear the breathing at all. The crossover to the sub was set too high and was just killing that part of the audio. I lowered it to 70hz and everything came out the way it should.

Cool. You're welcome.

Michael

Downloadable FREE demo discs:

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #365 of 761 Old 06-13-2013, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

It was the post earlier regarding being able to hear the footsteps and the breathing. I wasn't able to hear the breathing at all. The crossover to the sub was set too high and was just killing that part of the audio. I lowered it to 70hz and everything came out the way it should.

The sad thing is now I want new speakers :-(

or is that a good thing ;-)

That doesn't sound right. Not saying your XO shouldn't be at 70Hz, but regardless you should hear everything. What changes with XO is the levels of each driver (sub versus mains) playing those specific frequencies. At XO point, both are playing and combine to a level that should be level matched to other frequencies when only one particular speaker (sub or main) is playing.

I don't want to get too OT, but measurements and audio theory are certainly not discussed enough in this part of the forum, except for maybe in the sound treatments thread.

Without a doubt the BEST thing I did with measurements (with guidance and research) was subwoofer timing with the mains. Everyone focuses on frequency response it seems. Once I had them in time, things sounded way better. The Skyfall scene on the surround disc has a little bass patter sound effect, it is when Bond is on the subway train. I'm assuming this occurs in general around the typical cross-over region. When the sub system is in time with the mains, the LFE bass comes from the subs but there are higher frequency octaves that accompany this patter. When out of time this imaging is, for lack of better word, diffused or sloppy. When in time the two drivers (sub and main) come together for a singular effect. I highly recommend investing in a USB mic (I'd get it from Cross Spectrum) and doing some basic calibration to set phase, levels and timing. From there you can also get into frequency response (EQing) and then treatments to address nulls/peaks/decay. There is something for everyone to gain, regardless of intent to go full out with treatments or not. The investment is mostly time, minimal cost of $95 for a mic and $20-ish for a boom mic stand.

"The Scuba Tank" thread

PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #366 of 761 Old 06-13-2013, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post

That doesn't sound right. Not saying your XO shouldn't be at 70Hz, but regardless you should hear everything. What changes with XO is the levels of each driver (sub versus mains) playing those specific frequencies. At XO point, both are playing and combine to a level that should be level matched to other frequencies when only one particular speaker (sub or main) is playing.

I don't want to get too OT, but measurements and audio theory are certainly not discussed enough in this part of the forum, except for maybe in the sound treatments thread.

Without a doubt the BEST thing I did with measurements (with guidance and research) was subwoofer timing with the mains. Everyone focuses on frequency response it seems. Once I had them in time, things sounded way better. The Skyfall scene on the surround disc has a little bass patter sound effect, it is when Bond is on the subway train. I'm assuming this occurs in general around the typical cross-over region. When the sub system is in time with the mains, the LFE bass comes from the subs but there are higher frequency octaves that accompany this patter. When out of time this imaging is, for lack of better word, diffused or sloppy. When in time the two drivers (sub and main) come together for a singular effect. I highly recommend investing in a USB mic (I'd get it from Cross Spectrum) and doing some basic calibration to set phase, levels and timing. From there you can also get into frequency response (EQing) and then treatments to address nulls/peaks/decay. There is something for everyone to gain, regardless of intent to go full out with treatments or not. The investment is mostly time, minimal cost of $95 for a mic and $20-ish for a boom mic stand.

It could have been something else, that's all I remember off hand. Quite honestly I don't know a whole lot about the audio portion and rely heavily on automated tools like Auddessy to help me out there. My next upgrade is going to be speakers, and I do plan on learning a bit more about how audio works at that time.

Looky here!
post #367 of 761 Old 06-17-2013, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Keep hoping one of these thread bumps is for the BD50 availability!!! =)

Buncha savages in this town....

Sam Posten
post #368 of 761 Old 06-17-2013, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadath View Post

Keep hoping one of these thread bumps is for the BD50 availability!!! =)

+1

And another "teaser" bump. biggrin.gif

- Nick Buol

post #369 of 761 Old 06-18-2013, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 215
And Finally....

But first - many may thanks to everyone involved from the production guys to the seeding guys. All these guys are gifting their resources, including money, so we can share the disc... Job WELL DONE!!!

Reference Disc LINKS can be found below and on POST #9

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1469192/reference-2-blu-ray-demo-disc-bd9s-bd50#post_23227080

Template Files (Thanks to LastButNotLeast)
BD9s2BD50Ref2.zip.torrent.zip 20k .zip file

Complete Reference 2 Link
RARed_Reference_2_BD50.torrent.DELETE.TXT 115k .TXT file

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

post #370 of 761 Old 06-18-2013, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

YAY!

- Nick Buol

post #371 of 761 Old 06-18-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
Very nice, thx for all the hard work guys ! biggrin.gif

65" PanasonicST60 | Onkyo809 | Oppo103 + 4TB WD HDD
PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
5.2 system - 5x Arx A2 + 2x SVS SB12-NSD | Harmony One | Samsung DA-E670
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
post #372 of 761 Old 06-18-2013, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Thank you guys sooo much!! The first one rocked.

Started seeding but nobody is around frown.gif

post #373 of 761 Old 06-18-2013, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Well done guys, the menus are great with the choice of music that you have used, the clips that you have picked are awesome, I cant wait to try it out the full structure Blu tonight.

Many thanks from across the pond! the hard work that you guys have put in is very much appreciated.

Dali Helicon 400 - C200 MK2'S | Paradigm Signature Sub1 | OPPO 105D | Arcam FMJ P777 Power Amp | Primare SP33 | JVC Dila 950 | Cables: AudioQuest Yukon XLR|Pioneer Kuro 500A | Tivo | Harmony Ultimate
post #374 of 761 Old 06-18-2013, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Hey Superleo, I have the full BD loaded on the uTorrent but there is no one sharing the file. Is it not up yet? Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for the help.

post #375 of 761 Old 06-18-2013, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If you are using uTorrent make sure that your port is open. There is a "checkmark" or "caution" icon on the lower right hand side of the active window. You can activate the port test by clicking on that icon.

The file is active.
shadowcaster likes this.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

post #376 of 761 Old 06-18-2013, 12:45 PM

Same problem here. My seedbox downloads tons of torrents a day and this one hasn't found any peers for the last couple of hours.
post #377 of 761 Old 06-18-2013, 12:52 PM

Liked: 11
Great work guys! Totally awesome! I will leave the DIY seeding for a couple of days to help out.
post #378 of 761 Old 06-18-2013, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the fast reply. I am trying all the "tips" on the uTorrent site and still cannot get a port to open. It worked for the "Templet Files" (grabbed the wrong one at first) but now nothing. I will keep messing with it. Thanks again for all you guys did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by superleo View Post

If you are using uTorrent make sure that your port is open. There is a "checkmark" or "caution" icon on the lower right hand side of the active window. You can activate the port test by clicking on that icon.

The file is active.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiber0pti View Post

Same problem here. My seedbox downloads tons of torrents a day and this one hasn't found any peers for the last couple of hours.

post #379 of 761 Old 06-18-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

I've been connected to 8 of the current 14 peers, as a seed, for the past 6 hrs @ ~ 3 Mbps

Thanks again to Super Leo and the rest of the Reference crew for a job well done!
IMO, far better than any of the professionally created demo discs.
superleo likes this.

"Talk to me Goose"
post #380 of 761 Old 06-18-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowcaster View Post

I've been connected to 8 of the current 14 peers, as a seed, for the past 6 hrs @ ~ 3 Mbps

My bad, it looks like the network my box is on has blocked publicbt.com.
post #381 of 761 Old 06-18-2013, 07:51 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:

My bad, it looks like the network my box is on has blocked publicbt.com.

Many seedboxes do. They also block udp torrents alot too(mine did until I complained, then they turned udp back on).
We added another tracker on the list though...I think its: http://beta.mytracker.me:6969/announce
post #382 of 761 Old 06-18-2013, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Thanks for all of the work guys. Looks great! I used the DIY BD50 Disc From Files Template to create the disc.
superleo likes this.

post #383 of 761 Old 06-19-2013, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks to Kalani for creating and contributing a batch file.

I added the batch file on POST #9 that automates the coping and renaming process to create a full disc from the segments discs.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1469192/reference-2-blu-ray-demo-disc-bd9s-bd50#post_23227080

Batch-Blend file
batch-blend.zip 37k .zip file

If you have questions or are unsure please ask.
globalgreg and shadowcaster like this.

post #384 of 761 Old 06-19-2013, 07:09 AM

Liked: 32
Anyone got a magnet link I can get?....trying to put the magnet link into my synology NAS to download it.
post #385 of 761 Old 06-19-2013, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhamus View Post

Anyone got a magnet link I can get?....trying to put the magnet link into my synology NAS to download it.

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:4DAE095F9975DF0F5B9B0E155CFF81C4FD1817E4&dn=RAR_Reference_2_BD50&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.open**********.com%3a80%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.publicbt.com%3a80%2fannounce&tr=http%3a%2f%2fbeta.mytracker.me%3a6969%2fannounce
shadowcaster likes this.

post #386 of 761 Old 06-19-2013, 08:00 AM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by superleo View Post

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:4DAE095F9975DF0F5B9B0E155CFF81C4FD1817E4&dn=RAR_Reference_2_BD50&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.open**********.com%3a80%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.publicbt.com%3a80%2fannounce&tr=http%3a%2f%2fbeta.mytracker.me%3a6969%2fannounce

Awesome!!!! thank you!!! biggrin.gif
post #387 of 761 Old 06-19-2013, 10:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks Guys for all your efforts great job

GoldenEar Triton One's 2
GoldenEar Triton Two's 2
GoldenEar Super Center XL 1
GoldenEar SuperSat 3 2
GoldenEar ForceField 5 1
OPPO 105, Emotiva XPA-5, Emotiva XPA-2
post #388 of 761 Old 06-19-2013, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Very strange! I've got it all put together and it looks fantastic, but the Visual and Animation segments don't work even in the completed disc on XBMC. Must be some strange bug that's causing it. Oh well, still a fantastic disc!

post #389 of 761 Old 06-19-2013, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow. I just unzipped the Batch-Blend.zip and opened the command file in Notepad. Nice work. As a former "DOS Monkey" I can appreciate the level on instruction and thought that went into that batch file and the commands to make all of the "magic" happen.

I will have to test it out tonight when I get home.

- Nick Buol

post #390 of 761 Old 06-19-2013, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I'm downloading the full disc now. Started last night, and it looks like it should finish this evening sometime. Thanks very much to all who worked on it!

Chronic masticator.
Gear: Speakers (Paradigm Reference Studio Series): 40 v4 (front L/R), CC-690 v4 (centre), 20 v4 (surround L/R). PSA XS30 (subwoofer).
Denon AVR-X4000, Emotiva XPA-5, Samsung PN64F8500 (64" plasma), DarbeeVision Darblet DVP5000, PS3, Sony BDP-S6200, Apple TV (3rd gen.), Harmony One, Sennheiser RS180
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page