/// Reference 2: Blu-Ray Demo Disc (BD9s & BD50) \\\ - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #181 of 761 Old 05-14-2013, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
First I would like to thank SuperLeo for his role in putting together another fine demo disc! I must say that these discs just keep getting better and better and are a true pleasure to experience.

I was fortunate to be part of the group to meet-up at Bjorn's last weekend. Brandon did a great job helping us enjoy our experience in the "Ultimate Room". Leo gave a good description above and the link really provides the detail to show how impressive this room really is. What a great place to showcase the Reference 2 Blu Ray Demo disc. The disc and the room did not dissapoint! The picture quality upconverted to 4K was stunning and the audio truly enveloped you in sound. The D-Box motion control seating also added another dimension with subtle movement in some of the clips making you feel like you are part of the action.

The aural experience was very impressive , this system is capable of reproducing an amazing spectrum of sound from the sweet high pitched song of wind instruments, to the steady rhythm of stringed instruments to low end sounds. One of the clips we watched was an orchestra performing a well known song (the name escapes me right now). The sound had so much clarity and definition that when I closed my eyes I felt like I was at a concert listening to a live performance. While the over sound quality was great, the only thing that could have made it better was deeper, hard hitting bass. I noticed during some clips the bass was not as powerful as I have experienced in my small home theater setup. I expected to feel the impact and pressure during certain scenes but was surprised when it didn't happen. I expect that as configurable as their system is that the bass could be tweaked for a fuller and deeper sound and maybe if we had more time we could have played around more to get the tactile rumble and boom us "bass-heads" expect cool.gif

It was a great experience and I enjoyed hanging out with other members of the forum smile.gif
superleo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 761 Old 05-14-2013, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

Yes, but it's still coming out one part at a time. The "almost" ready is the hard part.
"Music" any minute now. Hang in there. 
Michael

That's cool, thanks for the heads up. I'm going to wait for the full disk rather than doing them individually. Looks like we're halfway there. Bass, music, surround done. Visual, animation and superheroes to go. I'm curious if you guys can tell us more about "Additionally, the disc showcases the Home Theater / TV setup from the contributing members plus a special appearance of Landshark1’s theater." Is that roughly a whole DVD worth by itself or just some odds and ends?

Buncha savages in this town....

Sam Posten
post #183 of 761 Old 05-14-2013, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadath View Post

That's cool, thanks for the heads up. I'm going to wait for the full disk rather than doing them individually. Looks like we're halfway there. Bass, music, surround done. Visual, animation and superheroes to go. I'm curious if you guys can tell us more about "Additionally, the disc showcases the Home Theater / TV setup from the contributing members plus a special appearance of Landshark1’s theater." Is that roughly a whole DVD worth by itself or just some odds and ends?

No need to wait. Download the individual components right now and they will provide a template to burn them all on to one Blu-ray disc.

post #184 of 761 Old 05-14-2013, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadath View Post

I'm curious if you guys can tell us more about "Additionally, the disc showcases the Home Theater / TV setup from the contributing members plus a special appearance of Landshark1’s theater." Is that roughly a whole DVD worth by itself or just some odds and ends?

Look at the menu screen. That's my family room on the music segment, Archaea's on bass (yes, twin Captivators), and so on. If you like Leo's, his house is for sale! biggrin.gif

Michael

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #185 of 761 Old 05-14-2013, 07:24 PM

Liked: 29
Just watched the Bass and Surround portions yesterday. Absolutely fantastic!

But I do have one question about the Underworld Awakening - Werebeast introduction scene...why leave out the next 20 seconds or so at the end of that scene? There is an additional few awesome bass notes with a couple of quick cut scenes. Just curious...

Thank you again to the creators of this awesome project....

Like Wayne and Garth,.......we're not worthy!!!!!!!!!
post #186 of 761 Old 05-14-2013, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Im sorry you felt the Underworld scene was cut short. I just cut it where I felt it was appropriate for a quick demonstration. Leo gave each of the contributers some freedom to make the clips as they saw fit. So that is what I did. ;p. I was most enthralled with the uzzi sound and heavy footsteps in the scene, so that was my focus.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #187 of 761 Old 05-14-2013, 08:24 PM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Im sorry you felt the Underworld scene was cut short. I just cut it where I felt it was appropriate for a quick demonstration. Leo gave each of the contributers some freedom to make the clips as they saw fit. So that is what I did. ;p. I was most enthralled with the uzzi sound and heavy footsteps in the scene, so that was my focus.

No need to apologize. Underworld Awakening has so many demo worthy scenes, so I understand why your edit was done the way it was. That particular scene is so great, but I always like to hear those final few bass thumps smile.gif!

No worries how you chose to edit.

Cheers!
post #188 of 761 Old 05-15-2013, 10:58 PM

Liked: 10
While the titles may not be too exciting, scenes from the new Sony "Mastered in 4k" BDs will be a good start for Reference Disc 3.0

I just watched Angels & Demons. It is so much better with uncompressed video and audio. Colors are deeper and richer, detail is crisp and contrast is worthy of the name.

As good as they look and sound, they just can't touch y'all's Demo discs.

Paul

My equipment: JVC RS-55, SI Performance 120" 1.3 gain, OPPO BDP-103 & -93, DENON 4311CI & 2113CI, Roomie-iPad, QNAP 469L NAS, ROKU 2 & 3, ATV, DTV HR34-500, PS3, XBOX 360. ML Source, Matinee, MotionFX, Motion4, 2-Depth-i subs. M/ASlim5 Rack, CalMAN 5 Enthusiast/C6 meter, UMM-6/REW.
post #189 of 761 Old 05-16-2013, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Thanks again everyone who contributed. I did each separately and burned to DVD-DL discs this time. It went much quicker for all three than it did the full BD50 on the first Reference disc. cool.gif

-Kevin

Epson 5020UB 1080p 3LCD projector

Screen Innovations Black Diamond Zero Edge 1.4 110" 16:9

Marantz AV8801 pre/pro

Wyred4Sound 5-channel amp

Oppo BDP-105

Darbee Darblet

JTR 3TX LCRs

JTR Single8 HT-LP surrounds

twin JTR Orbit Shifter LF subwoofers

GIK Acoustic room treatments

post #190 of 761 Old 05-17-2013, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post

Thanks again everyone who contributed. I did each separately and burned to DVD-DL discs this time. It went much quicker for all three than it did the full BD50 on the first Reference disc. cool.gif

Thanks to the pre-seeding team, adgrimes, BigHAZE, berggren, McSyvie and dsl1 and all the production team, WE all enjoy troubleless and fast downloads. Great job everyone!!!

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
Screening Room - The Dream House
RPCRT-TV Overscan Reduction
Reference Blu-Ray Demo Disc

Reference 2: Blu-Ray Demo Disc

The Best of the Demo Discs Demo Disc

post #191 of 761 Old 05-17-2013, 07:24 AM

Liked: 11
I also downloaded and placed the files on a usb thumb drive per the instructions. It worked and sounded great. The bass scene from Pulse was unreal. I have an SVS PB12plus and it was just awesome. Weirdest type bass I ever have"felt". Thanks so much for putting this together.
post #192 of 761 Old 05-17-2013, 09:19 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by superleo View Post

Thanks to the pre-seeding team, adgrimes, BigHAZE, berggren, McSyvie and dsl1 and all the production team, WE all enjoy troubleless and fast downloads. Great job everyone!!!
Always fun to be able to help in what matter I can.
Nice to see the no capping ISP´s in Sweden put to use.
The first reference complete disc is up to 1.21TB in upload as we speak biggrin.gif
post #193 of 761 Old 05-17-2013, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 224
ok, just found this thread. gonna read back so i can get started downloading biggrin.gif

I have a mac though, can I still accomplish this or perhaps download the files and do it at a friends place?
post #194 of 761 Old 05-18-2013, 12:21 PM

I need some help guys...I created the AVCHD disc and played it on my Oppo 103. I can access the clips as individual media files. I thought it was supposed to play like a regular DVD with menus and all??? Did I do something wrong?
post #195 of 761 Old 05-18-2013, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAlba View Post

I need some help guys...I created the AVCHD disc and played it on my Oppo 103. I can access the clips as individual media files. I thought it was supposed to play like a regular DVD with menus and all??? Did I do something wrong?

I chose "AVCHD strict"..........I believe I had the same problem as you choosing the other AVCHD option. That or you may have unpacked it wrong?

-Kevin

Epson 5020UB 1080p 3LCD projector

Screen Innovations Black Diamond Zero Edge 1.4 110" 16:9

Marantz AV8801 pre/pro

Wyred4Sound 5-channel amp

Oppo BDP-105

Darbee Darblet

JTR 3TX LCRs

JTR Single8 HT-LP surrounds

twin JTR Orbit Shifter LF subwoofers

GIK Acoustic room treatments

post #196 of 761 Old 05-18-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

ok, just found this thread. gonna read back so i can get started downloading biggrin.gif

I have a mac though, can I still accomplish this or perhaps download the files and do it at a friends place?

µTorrent (http://www.utorrent.com/downloads/mac)

The Unarchiver (http://download.cnet.com/The-Unarchiver/3000-2250_4-10655313.html?tag=contentBody;pop)

Burn (http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html)

And I tend to use REWRITABLE discs. They end up being much cheaper in the long run.

Michael

post #197 of 761 Old 05-18-2013, 04:56 PM

Do I need to inc
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post

I chose "AVCHD strict"..........I believe I had the same problem as you choosing the other AVCHD option. That or you may have unpacked it wrong?

Thanks I will try that. Do I need to include certificate?
post #198 of 761 Old 05-18-2013, 07:35 PM

Hey guys,

Is there any other workaround other than changing my PS3 from bitstream to LPCM for the Dolby trueHD tracks ? I like when the AVR displays the codec biggrin.gif

Also, I was wondering how I get all the discs to be available on my flash drive at the same time if I can only have one folder named AVCHD.

Thanks so much. This stuff is awesome
post #199 of 761 Old 05-18-2013, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenz1 View Post

Hey guys,

Is there any other workaround other than changing my PS3 from bitstream to LPCM for the Dolby trueHD tracks ? I like when the AVR displays the codec biggrin.gif

Also, I was wondering how I get all the discs to be available on my flash drive at the same time if I can only have one folder named AVCHD.

Thanks so much. This stuff is awesome

When all the sections have been made available individually (so each one would fit on a BD9), the whole project will be released as one disc (a BD50).

You will be able to take that file and make one AVCHD of the whole project.

If you're more concerned about what your AVR displays than how it sounds, you're in the wrong place. wink.gif

The only difference is which device is doing the decoding. You want the better device to do the work.

You're welcome. Yes it is.

biggrin.gif

Michael

post #200 of 761 Old 05-19-2013, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

When all the sections have been made available individually (so each one would fit on a BD9), the whole project will be released as one disc (a BD50).
You will be able to take that file and make one AVCHD of the whole project.
If you're more concerned about what your AVR displays than how it sounds, you're in the wrong place. wink.gif
The only difference is which device is doing the decoding. You want the better device to do the work.
You're welcome. Yes it is.
biggrin.gif
Michael

I was just kidding about the AVR display but I am curious why the Dolby trueHD has problems.

I realize the original intent of these demo discs (superleo/scubasteve,jindrak) is to burn to a physical disc but I don't have a burner so I would like to put all of them on one external drive. From what I can tell the PS3 would only read the first partition on my drive so I cant even make a separate FAT32 partition for each one. Do you know of any way I can accomplish this?

Thank you
post #201 of 761 Old 05-19-2013, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Any way? Well, you can probably take each of the m2ts files and load them into MultiAVCHD and see what comes out. Try a couple at a time, first (frankly, I don't think I've ever gotten that program to work properly). I'm using an HTPC, so I just have the disc files that I select just like any other movie.

As I said, at the end, you'll be able to combine the individual parts of these discs into one (with a template that I'm expected to produce when this is over!).

Maybe someone with a PS3 can offer better advice.

Michael

post #202 of 761 Old 05-19-2013, 07:10 AM

Liked: 10
That's how I put the AVS calibration disc on a hard drive. My folder hierarchy is AVSCalDisc/AVCHD/BDMV and the OPPO takes over from there. The ps3 may not be as user friendly.

My equipment: JVC RS-55, SI Performance 120" 1.3 gain, OPPO BDP-103 & -93, DENON 4311CI & 2113CI, Roomie-iPad, QNAP 469L NAS, ROKU 2 & 3, ATV, DTV HR34-500, PS3, XBOX 360. ML Source, Matinee, MotionFX, Motion4, 2-Depth-i subs. M/ASlim5 Rack, CalMAN 5 Enthusiast/C6 meter, UMM-6/REW.
post #203 of 761 Old 05-19-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogaxis View Post

That's how I put the AVS calibration disc on a hard drive. My folder hierarchy is AVSCalDisc/AVCHD/BDMV and the OPPO takes over from there. The ps3 may not be as user friendly.

The PS3 is an amazing, versatile machine that's passed the test of time.. Good on Sony for releasing ALL those updates over the years that have added more functionality to the device cool.gif

But I also agree, for these types of applications, you absolutely can't beat the Oppo players biggrin.gifcool.gifbiggrin.gif

65" PanasonicST60 | Onkyo809 | Oppo103 + 4TB WD HDD
PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
5.2 system - 5x Arx A2 + 2x SVS SB12-NSD | Harmony One | Samsung DA-E670
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
post #204 of 761 Old 05-19-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffly View Post

Me Too, your 1st Disc is sensational, I show it to all who come round.

I am really looking forward to the 2nd Disc.

P.S I just burnt the 1st Disc to a to a BD-R DL disc to play on an Oppo 103 using image burn follow instructions on page 1. It worked perfectly, no need for AVCHD anywhere, only need that when playing from a hard Drive.

I for one will wait until I can download the whole disc as one when it is ready.

Reference Disc 2 - Great work you guys, I really appreciate it.

I have an Oppo BDP-93 and a BDP-103. I'm disappointed that the same dual layer DVD works great on the 93 but isn't recognized on the 103. Looks like it would work on a Blu-ray disc though. Am I doing something wrong or is it required to run it through MultiAVCHD first to use a dual layer DVD on the 103?

post #205 of 761 Old 05-19-2013, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalgreg View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffly View Post

Me Too, your 1st Disc is sensational, I show it to all who come round.

I am really looking forward to the 2nd Disc.

P.S I just burnt the 1st Disc to a to a BD-R DL disc to play on an Oppo 103 using image burn follow instructions on page 1. It worked perfectly, no need for AVCHD anywhere, only need that when playing from a hard Drive.

I for one will wait until I can download the whole disc as one when it is ready.

Reference Disc 2 - Great work you guys, I really appreciate it.

I have an Oppo BDP-93 and a BDP-103. I'm disappointed that the same dual layer DVD works great on the 93 but isn't recognized on the 103. Looks like it would work on a Blu-ray disc though. Am I doing something wrong or is it required to run it through MultiAVCHD first to use a dual layer DVD on the 103?

Yes you do. I made the same initial mistake and re-did it using MultiAVCHD first and the resulting disk works fine. I also have a 103.
post #206 of 761 Old 05-19-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceTBC View Post

Yes you do. I made the same initial mistake and re-did it using MultiAVCHD first and the resulting disk works fine. I also have a 103.

Just tried converting to AVCHD and the 103 reads it as a data disc, no menu. Do you get a menu?

post #207 of 761 Old 05-19-2013, 04:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 776
Are these available as MKV files ???

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #208 of 761 Old 05-19-2013, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalgreg View Post

Quote:

Just tried converting to AVCHD and the 103 reads it as a data disc, no menu. Do you get a menu?

Just follow the fully detailed steps from post #2 in this thread and you should have no problems. Use MultiAVCHD first then Imgburn just as stated in post #2. That's all that's needed.
post #209 of 761 Old 05-19-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:

Just follow the fully detailed steps from post #2 in this thread and you should have no problems. Use MultiAVCHD first then Imgburn just as stated in post #2. That's all that's needed.

I did follow the directions...I did burn with ImgBurn...I'm able to play the individual files on the 103 fine...but there is no menu...is that normal? Please confirm...do you have a menu or not after processing with MultiAVCHD and playing the dual layer DVD on your 103?

post #210 of 761 Old 05-19-2013, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Are these available as MKV files ???

No, but you are welcome to convert them to whatever format you desire. smile.gif

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page