Star Ceiling Drills - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-22-2013, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
For people who have experience with starfield ceilings, what size drill bits do you use for the common fiber sizes that are used: 0.50mm, 0.75mm, 1.00mm, and 1.50mm? I was thinking of just using nothing but 0.75mm fiber and double or even tripling up on some holes to get the effect of different brightness stars. However, I'm concerned about how much clearance I need to be able to push the fibers through the holes. I'll be pushing them through 1/4" thick plywood and taping them down on the backside.

My build thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-22-2013, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wouldn't double and triple up holes. The bigger fibers shine bigger and brighter than the smaller ones. We doubled up a few spots on ours and I don't think it looks good. Look in the upper left of this photo of ours. [IMG]

post #3 of 4 Old 04-22-2013, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I used 1mm fiber for all my stars. I used the FOSI system which uses the same size fiber but the light source does all the variation in dimming. Makes it nice for installation to only have to worry about one size fiber.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old 04-22-2013, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason4vu View Post

I wouldn't double and triple up holes. The bigger fibers shine bigger and brighter than the smaller ones. We doubled up a few spots on ours and I don't think it looks good. Look in the upper left of this photo of ours. [IMG]
Jason,
Could you maybe put some indicators on your picture showing the stars you tried using multiple strands? I can't really tell.

Monkey,
I got a quote from FOSI for my ceiling. It was about 5x more money than I could stomach. I decided to try it my way. I used their template but just printed it as a bunch of 8 1/2 x 11 tiles. I made panels out of 1/4" plywood with 3/4" x 1" furring strips on the back for support. The panels aren't nearly as stiff as MDF, but they are way lighter which leads me to believe the velcro will keep them from bending once they are installed. If I encounter any stubborn areas that won't lay flat against the ceiling I'll just finish nail them up there. I'll be using a Coolsky illuminator which will be mounted in the floor joist cavity directly above the ceiling. Not only is the illuminator way cheaper, but it's so small I can mount it close to the field thus reducing the amount of fiber needed.

In my mind FOSI is really only logical if you're budgeting over $25,000 for a theater. My total budget was around $8,000, and most of that is seating and equipment.

I do agree with you on one point though, I want to stick with a single size fiber just so I don't have to mess with multiple spools.

My build thread:

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page