Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 04-22-2013, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi all,

My theater is going to be on the move soon. I've got a Visual Apex 106" Fixed Screen, Epson 8700 UB, AV Rack, and a 5.1 System.

Going from a 13.3' x 12.6' room to a 19.3' x 9.4' room. Totally excited! Still renting, but my new landlord is very flexible.

Here's some facts I know about the room:

1) Hardwood floors. I will be looking into getting a black shag rug that will cover the whole floor and deaden the sound.
2) Only one window to block out in the rear of the room.
3) Wall paint is Satin Eggshell white. Ceiling Pant looks flat, but will have to confirm later. It could be satin of some sort.
4) Ceiling is average height. Screen will probably be a foot from the ceiling.

I can probably see myself living there for 2-3 years.

My landlord said that I can go with any color, but I won't have to repaint it if I were to choose a medium-hue "Warm Almond Brown" color. Landlord said if I go with any other color, then I may have to repaint it if he doesn't like how it ends up. I haven't confirmed if I can paint the ceiling the same color or not, but probably can.

Thoughts:

1) Paint the walls (and probably ceiling) with a flat warm almond brown color that is approved by landlord, and go with the darkest hue. Never have to worry about repainting again. If landlord still wants the ceiling a white color, then with this option I'd have to find a flat off-white to match. Will this alone cut the glare? My experience is that the ceiling is the biggest reflector.

2) Screw painting the walls. You have lots of curtains you can hang. I actually have enough rods and curtains to cover most of one side right now. Paint the ceiling only, but it might have to be the same color as the ceiling is now, which is a soft-white color, but flat. I can look into other colors for the ceiling with him if it can be other than white (which I think it needs to be).

3) Paint it how you want it. Dark upon dark. Worry about repainting back to white when you leave in a few years. Hang them curtains still.

As far as paints, I keep reading bad things about Behr Flat Enamel (it still reflects). Not looking to spend hundreds with paint, but I do want something that is "decently" durable, but keeps reflection to the minimum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-25-2013, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anyone have any recommendations for Wall and Ceiling Paint?
post #3 of 16 Old 04-25-2013, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by FendersRule View Post

Anyone have any recommendations for Wall and Ceiling Paint?

I like Matte paints. Find some dark ones, I like Benjamin Moore...

Master of Minions, Acoustic Frontiers. We specialize in the design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
post #4 of 16 Old 04-30-2013, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I went with Behr Ultra. Finished the ceiling. So far so good. Paint is flat.

I want to discuss about the flooring. The room is 9.25' by 19.3' to be exact.

I want to cover most of the floor (leave the back section uncovered for AV rack), but at at a low cost (since I don't own the house) while still making it look nice. One thought is to buy a couple rugs, but finding a rug at that size is going to be difficult.

I could get cheap black carpet cut?
post #5 of 16 Old 05-01-2013, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This is Behr Ultra Flat (ceiling)
post #6 of 16 Old 05-03-2013, 11:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by FendersRule View Post

I could get cheap black carpet cut?

How about an area rug instead of a custom cut rug?

You could also check the remnant section, there are usually good deals there. You're not picking exact color/pattern/etc but is a good way to just get something in the space.
post #7 of 16 Old 05-04-2013, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
A rug won't do a whole lot for sound absorption...a high quality/dense carpet pad (NOT one of the thin ones you can buy at the big box store) would do more (relatively speaking).

A lot of places will take their remnants and bind them into rugs -- cheap and fairly high quality rug if that would work. Good carpet pad underneath it.

If you are serious about acoustics, check the acoustics thread. You can make a big difference in the room by simply hanging panels at 1st reflection points in the room! Cheap, temporary, portable..etc.

John

Loganed...finally. 6/6/08
My 3.0 HT Build Thread
post #8 of 16 Old 05-04-2013, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi guys, thanks for the responses. Here's an update.

I went to 2 Lowes, and 3 Home Depots. There is one remenat that will work out of all that searching, which is a 12'x15' for $118.

Called a recommended binding place. To cut and bind the remnant to the size I want, it's going to cost $160. Then I have to worry about padding to protect the floor which would be another $100. So the remnant option is going to be nearly $400 after all said and done. That sucks.

The room is 9' 2.5" by 19' 3".

I don't need to cover the whole room. I'm thinking just 15 feet long would be perfect, and the exposed hardwood in the back will be good for media storage, av rack, etc. even with 15' of covered floor, you will be able to put two rows of theater seats. I don't see a point in covering the whole floor.

I plan on also having 15' of curtains along the wall as well, which will aid with sound.

Kmart has 2x matching 9.5' x 7.5' high traffic area rugs (short fibers) for $80 each. Add alittle on top of that for some griping (I assume that I don't need to cover my floor with any protection for rugs, only for remnant), and I'm looking at less than $200. I can cut only one side of them and set them next to the trim, so no binding is needed because there's no foot traffic on the edge of the wall.

Looks like 2 large matching area rugs is the way to go here for a low cost solution. I'm sure that getting deep fiber carpet with padding is ideal for sound, but that's $400 more.

Comments? I thinks sound should be pretty good for the price. I'm not too crazy about the Kmart rugs, but they are the cheapest I've found. I can keep looking for longer material, but finding 8 x 10 rugs is not as easy as 8 x 6.
post #9 of 16 Old 05-07-2013, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Screen is mounted. Speakers fit fine, but I sure wouldn't want the room to be any narrower!

post #10 of 16 Old 05-07-2013, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Picked up these seats yesterday for $375. I believe that they are high-end seats. I need to get one more, but I'm not sure of the make and model. I need another full seat with armrests on both sides.

post #11 of 16 Old 05-07-2013, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Those are Berkline 12016 (per the tag) - http://www.rtheaters.com/berkline/12016.html - in case you need to find a matching one - I believe the numbers after that indicate the fabric / leather option. Drop a note to rsh (who runs rtheaters.com, and is a forum sponsor), he can tell you more.
post #12 of 16 Old 05-07-2013, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I dropped a PM to rsh, and he can't help with this model.

I know where the previous owner bought them, so I assume that I can call the store and see what kind of help I can get. These are likely discontinued, but it would be awesome if I can find one more.
post #13 of 16 Old 05-07-2013, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

After getting only two of the chairs in the room and now having most of the curtains up, the sound reflection has already improved significantly. The room is now a "partial" echo chamber instead of it being completely obvious.

After I finish the curtains and get two larger area rugs (covering 15' of the room instead of the full 19') and the rest of the chairs in there it should be a pretty good soundstage. Plus I plan on adding 6 posters (with plastic frames) on the rear of the wall which probably will help.

Every little bit helps with sound. Just getting stuff in there helps.
post #14 of 16 Old 05-07-2013, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 58
You can DIY some sound absorbers pretty easily out of OC703 (or equivalent). They will go a long way towards helping your sound issues.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #15 of 16 Old 05-23-2013, 03:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

All curtains are up. Ordered two large shag area rugs.

Estimated time to completion: two weeks.
post #16 of 16 Old 05-28-2013, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Rugs are on the way. Thick shag rugs. Don't want to put the other seat in there until I find a match for it...
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page