Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 35 Old 04-24-2013, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
http://www.imaxprivatetheater.com/imagine-it-in-imax.html

Saw this as a article from avscience on my facebook page and thought it would be great to post it here again. IMAX is offering a select few to have the IMAX experience at home and build the theater for around a couple of milion bucks. (30ft wide screen 17.5 feet tall eek.gif) around 1200 sqft space.

I was wondering if this could be done cheaper? Wish they would just offer the room layout and design for a few thousand bucks, and then the room build can be DIYed( structure, speakers acoustic treatments) at a fraction of the above cost. This would would then leave the only major cost in the build to be the projectors.

Man oh man! that would be a fun project to do! I am sure some one on the forum will take inspiration and build this kind of room in the future..I know i want to!!. biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 04-24-2013, 10:30 AM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 239
I think Big probably just fell over in his chair at the thought of DIY'ing one of those systems....well beyond the play sand "right of passage" in terms of carrying heavy "stuff"!! tongue.gif

I think it's a nice idea, but how do you get the IMAX content to really make it shine???!!!! I saw Dark Night in IMAX and even in theatrical release there was only less than 10 minutes of footage that was truly in full-on IMAX mode.
post #3 of 35 Old 04-24-2013, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I was assuming the IMAX home theater concept is not just for watching IMAX content alone. They said its designed to watch everything from regular movies to cable shows. I guess for non IMAX content there are different lens options to fill the whole screen without sacrificing much resolution. Its the whole idea of getting immersed in such a large screen at home which is so tempting.

I am sure Big will take up the project or supervise a crew to do it smile.gif a decade or more ago just talking about DIY theaters with 200 inch home theater screens was unrealistic. Now not so much. When I see older theater build threads on AVS and other websites and compare it with the current ones the transition to bigger and better DIY builds looks rapid enough over the years. I don't see why it cant be done with the right motivation and people to take up the challenge smile.gif

As with all new technologies i hope in the future this will become a common and affordable Project for all homeowners who have the interest and space to do it.

After looking at the article today.. i was telling to myself " Man i never wanted something so bad"..i then told my wife and she gave me that look biggrin.gif
post #4 of 35 Old 04-24-2013, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 108
When I win the lottery, I'll sign up
post #5 of 35 Old 04-24-2013, 02:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Until I win the lottery, I'll sit closer to the screen (poor man's IMAX).

Sanjay
post #6 of 35 Old 04-24-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikgrao View Post

I was assuming the IMAX home theater concept is not just for watching IMAX content alone. They said its designed to watch everything from regular movies to cable shows. I guess for non IMAX content there are different lens options to fill the whole screen without sacrificing much resolution. Its the whole idea of getting immersed in such a large screen at home which is so tempting.

Naturally it would be for everyday use. I guess it just depends on how well their interpolation / upscaling algorithms can effectively upconvert native 1080p content. When I was in California a couple of months back I stopped by one of the very few Magnolia Hi-Fi stores that had the new 84" Sony 4K television on display. It was very impressive with native 4K content (the demo material was some lame Taylor Swift video where she is walking around with her friends in thick white pajamas), but when they put on ESPN for a 1080p basketball game and upconverted the signal to 4K it was watchable but certainly not something where I would consider myself blown away. The graphics were really sharp....the players and the action...not so much. If that's Sony's best effort on an 84" diagonal 1.78:1 screen I would hate to see what the upconversion to a 30 ft. wide screen would be. There's probably something to do with the way our eyes perceive resolution reflected off an acoustically transparent screen that compensates, but even still....
post #7 of 35 Old 04-24-2013, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #8 of 35 Old 04-24-2013, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Until I win the lottery, I'll sit closer to the screen (poor man's IMAX).

Lol me too!! biggrin.gif
post #9 of 35 Old 04-24-2013, 10:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 29
Kinda been waiting to see when this would finally hit the AVS airwaves. Looks like IMAX has finally gone public. tongue.gif Yes, we are partnered with IMAX...and Vik...it's not as simple as DIY. Lot more involved. Not sure what I can disclose at this time though.

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
HAA Design Certified -THX Certified Professional

Design-Video & Audio Calibration Information

The original Pro Theater Layout
post #10 of 35 Old 04-25-2013, 04:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 45
The IMAX equipment (speakers, amps, projection screen, projection system, etc.) all comes from IMAX and is the same gear, same engineers, same support chain as used in the commercial IMAX theaters. An IMAX private theater will never be a DIY project. While IMAX does not do the construction of the room the fundamental system engineering (acoustics, seating placement, etc.) is all done by IMAX engineers.

In much the same manner, a THX Certified Professional Screening room, is engineered by THX, you use the equipment they suggest for the room and all speaker placements, seating placements, etc. are designed or approved by them (and subsequently they come in and validate and test the Audio and Video to make certain all the specs align with their requirements.

In other words, for both THX and IMAX, if it ain't their stuff, ain't their engineering, and doesn't meet their specifications when completed it ain't IMAX or THX. End of discussion. If you want to build your own Ferrari in your garage, have at it; but, what rolls out will not be a Ferrari. smile.gif

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #11 of 35 Old 04-25-2013, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Erskine View Post

If you want to build your own Ferrari in your garage, have at it; but, what rolls out will not be a Ferrari. smile.gif

How about if you take a Mercury Cougar (yes, a Mercury Cougar) and add a Bugatti Veyron body kit? Are you trying to say that's NOT a Bugatti Veyron!!? biggrin.gif

http://www.geekologie.com/2011/07/man-convincingly-mods-2k-mercury-cougar.php
post #12 of 35 Old 04-25-2013, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Got the point Dennis ! smile.gif I will have to step up my investment game and also start saving up! smile.gif Its awesome your team has partnered with IMAX, looking forward to see some pics of any future build on your website portfolio with more info. What they provided on their website was more like a teaser.
post #13 of 35 Old 04-25-2013, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

How about if you take a Mercury Cougar (yes, a Mercury Cougar) and add a Bugatti Beyron body kit? Are you trying to say that's NOT a Bugatti Veyron!!? biggrin.gif

http://www.geekologie.com/2011/07/man-convincingly-mods-2k-mercury-cougar.php

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
post #14 of 35 Old 04-25-2013, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

The IMAX equipment (speakers, amps, projection screen, projection system, etc.) all comes from IMAX and is the same gear, same engineers, same support chain as used in the commercial IMAX theaters. An IMAX private theater will never be a DIY project. While IMAX does not do the construction of the room the fundamental system engineering (acoustics, seating placement, etc.) is all done by IMAX engineers.

In much the same manner, a THX Certified Professional Screening room, is engineered by THX, you use the equipment they suggest for the room and all speaker placements, seating placements, etc. are designed or approved by them (and subsequently they come in and validate and test the Audio and Video to make certain all the specs align with their requirements.

In other words, for both THX and IMAX, if it ain't their stuff, ain't their engineering, and doesn't meet their specifications when completed it ain't IMAX or THX. End of discussion. If you want to build your own Ferrari in your garage, have at it; but, what rolls out will not be a Ferrari. smile.gif
Dennis, the private home indoor IMAX theater sounds great. Especially if one has the money for it. How would the IMAX engineers help create a private home outdoor IMAX theater?
post #15 of 35 Old 04-25-2013, 09:25 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 533
post #16 of 35 Old 04-25-2013, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Seems overkill to me but if you have wads of cash that you are going to waste on chroming your Fisker Karma (ala Bieber) then an IMAX home theater seems a better way to spend your dough.

I think a 10'-15' screen with 4k projection would be more than satisfactory for 99.99% of people.

The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #17 of 35 Old 04-25-2013, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
How do you project the image all the way down to the floor without people's heads getting in the way? If the projectors are set very high, don't you introduce terrible keystoning into the image?
post #18 of 35 Old 04-25-2013, 06:42 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:

So........ when is the Erskine Group building a demo IMAX screening room?? smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif
post #19 of 35 Old 04-26-2013, 03:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 45
Quote:
How do you project the image all the way down to the floor without people's heads getting in the way? If the projectors are set very high, don't you introduce terrible keystoning into the image?
Ever been in commercial IMAX theater? The same way (including the use of two projectors).

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #20 of 35 Old 04-26-2013, 05:21 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by reanimator View Post

If the projectors are set very high, don't you introduce terrible keystoning into the image?

Look at the pictures, the projector is not very high in fact it looks to be 15-20% of the screen height down from the top of the image. Lower than most HTs I've built.
post #21 of 35 Old 04-26-2013, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Easy, put a room around it.
Very funny Big! I was thinking more in the way of an outdoor amphitheater setting. My farm has plenty of room for an IMAX theater.
post #22 of 35 Old 04-26-2013, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Lower than most HTs I've built.

I would be interested in the poor man's version. Are you going to offer BigMAX?

Maybe a summer sale @ $1.9 million off compared with the competing large screen offering?

post #23 of 35 Old 04-27-2013, 10:30 AM

Liked: 10
this is a nice approach by IMAX but it seems exclusively reserved to the ultra top highest price levels ($1M+++).
Theo's article is interesting in his view of the home theater market currently... is he saying the market is extremely "polarized" ( ipad movie watching or $2M IMAX HT )
with less and less real "affordable" HTs ( $15,000-50,000 some via home improvement loans ?)
http://theosroundtable.com/theo-blog/theo-kalomirakis-imax-and-i/ :
"Between the bad economy and young consumers happy to watch movies on smartphones and iPads, the high-end market for dedicated home theaters isn’t vibrant and growing like it used to be. I saw that Imax could give that market a much-needed shot in the arm and generate new excitement among affluent consumers. And other high-end brands could also benefit from having these still waters stirred."
However "ideas" or "new fresher concepts" can be extrapolated from the IMAX private theater approach...
post #24 of 35 Old 04-27-2013, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Well, the biggest thing that you get out of the IMAX private theater, besides Audio/Video quality is the exclusivity. Keeping exclusivity is the big part of keeping it premium. Their tagline "Few will own it" says it all.

Although I am sue their design ideas will trickle down into other private theater builders/diy kind of people. It just won't be "IMAX".

Manoj
post #25 of 35 Old 04-29-2013, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Well if AVS is any indication the $15k-$50k theaters are alive and well. Theo's perspective may be that theater's built by professional theater building companies might be on the decline in the sub $500k level. The super rich want exclusivity and a home Imax theater will give them that.

As with any recession it affects the poor and middle-class, perhaps even the upper-middle class, the true upper class it doesn't significantly impact except on paper.

Play like a Raven

post #26 of 35 Old 04-29-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
I would guess that most of us with an average ceiling height elected to install a screen that takes up the great majority of the available height. So we are already "maxed out". Not sure where we can go from here. Of course this IMAX certification is not for 15-50K theaters. But, still it might be interesting to see a trickle down effect for the average dedicated room.

I wonder if Jeremy Kipnis's room qualifies as an IMAX room without even asking them for their blessing? He has a 6 million dollar room with a 24 ft screen and multiple projectors just like in the real IMAX as far as i know. I am sure is more to it than that but he is well on his way. Maybe someone can post a link to his room since I can't right now.

Vik, his room made electronic house just like yours! Congrats!
post #27 of 35 Old 04-29-2013, 10:41 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by design1stcode2nd View Post

Well if AVS is any indication the $15k-$50k theaters are alive and well. Theo's perspective may be that theater's built by professional theater building companies might be on the decline in the sub $500k level. The super rich want exclusivity and a home Imax theater will give them that.

As with any recession it affects the poor and middle-class, perhaps even the upper-middle class, the true upper class it doesn't significantly impact except on paper.

Good point, he is in another world, always looking for the next "must have thing" in the super high priced level

He might allude to indeed an enlarging gap /decrease in sales in the $150-500K.

banks do not dislike home improvements loans for built home theaters (emphasis on "built" be it in a basement or attic or other room , not, say buy 4 70''flat screens) for home owners with good credit score and looking for $15-100,000 financing, as they see it as an added value to a property, more than adding an extra garage or a pool.
post #28 of 35 Old 04-29-2013, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Grant! About the Kipnis theater I think his screen size is not as big but everything else should be better than the private IMAX. Here is the link below, I did not know he does home theater design too!

http://www.kipnis-studios.com/The_Kipnis_Studio_Standard/Kipnis_Home_Theaters.html
post #29 of 35 Old 04-29-2013, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Yeah he said one of his dreams is to redesign the White House theater. There is an interesting pictorial article somewhere about the evolution of that theater and it is fun to see how the style was changed throughout the decades with different Presidents at the helm.
post #30 of 35 Old 04-29-2013, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

I read the White house article a while back, here is the link:
http://www.electronichouse.com/slideshow/category/12484/1640

Play like a Raven

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page