Quick question on where to place rear surround. See pic. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-24-2013, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all,

I am working on setting up my media room. The room is 15' x 15' x 8' but I have slanted ceilings that come down 5-1/2' from floor. I will be getting a 133" 2.35:1 screen and am trying to squeeze in a 7.1 system. Unfortunately I only have about 16" behind couch and I am afraid that won't be enough distance between listening position and rears. My question is should I mount the rear speakers to the sloped ceiling instead to add more height/distance from listening position or just mount on wall so they are same distance from floor as surrounds? The blue tape in pic represents the speakers. Rear and side surrounds are Polk LSiM702F/X which are only 7" deep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-24-2013, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Given those options, I'm not sure what I'd do. I think I'd want as much distance as possible.

What I'd really do is move the seating forward and maybe use a smaller screen, if need be. Then the wall wouldn't be so close.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-24-2013, 06:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAlba View Post

trying to squeeze in a 7.1 system. Unfortunately I only have about 16" behind couch and I am afraid that won't be enough distance between listening position and rears.
The solution is to not squeeze a 7.1 system where you don't have enough distance for one (no room behind you for the rear speakers). Instead, when you're that close to the back wall, you'd be better off doing a 5.1 set-up with the surrounds in the back corners of the room. I would rather have a good 5.1 set-up than a poor 7.1 system.

Sanjay
post #4 of 10 Old 04-24-2013, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah...It sucks that I am also wasting 1.5 feet behind the screen because I have to mount the screen from the ceiling away from the wall since it is too tall.

I figure it will mostly be used as a 5.1 system since there aren't as many movies in 7.1 anyways.

What do you think the minimum distance should be from rear speakers?
post #5 of 10 Old 04-24-2013, 10:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

At least 5 feet for those sounds to appear like they're really coming from behind you and have meaningful separation between the sides and rears.

I knew someone who insisted on doing a 7.1 set-up even though his seating was a couple of feet from the back wall. Might as well have done a 5.1 set-up because you couldn't tell the sides from the rears.

Sanjay
post #6 of 10 Old 04-25-2013, 06:13 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

At least 5 feet for those sounds to appear like they're really coming from behind you and have meaningful separation between the sides and rears.

I knew someone who insisted on doing a 7.1 set-up even though his seating was a couple of feet from the back wall. Might as well have done a 5.1 set-up because you couldn't tell the sides from the rears.

Would putting them in the ceiling help? I have about 2 feet behind my seats and was planning on putting a 7.1 in, but now I'm second guessing that.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-25-2013, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Sanjay;
For my 2 row HT I went with Paradigm ADP-390's on the back wall, not monopoles, for exact reason you post above.
Ears about 22 inches from rear wall when seated.
(in Paradigm speak ADP = adaptive diploes)
HT%2520Plan%25202x4%2520Seats-Riser-acoustics%2520Jan-2013_angles.JPG

I can tell the sides from the rears, however I have more seperation than DAlba.

DAlba - your polk LSiM702F/X seem very similiar to my ADP-390's.
- you already own them or buying soon?

Can you temp mount on wall with wire and listen to see if worthwhile to run wire in the walls at your 7.1 location?

Most likely 5.1 will suffice and 7.1 may "get lost", but its your time and money as a hobby, it's one of those things that if you don't try it possibly will always be on your mind, keep you up at night wondering if you are "missing" something....rolleyes.gif
post #8 of 10 Old 04-25-2013, 01:56 PM

Liked: 12
Have you considered front heights instead of rear set up for the additional surrounds? I think you'd get a better result being flush to the back wall.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-25-2013, 03:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greedo View Post

Would putting them in the ceiling help?
Then sounds intended to come from behind you will instead come from above. Would you be OK with that?

If you want to use all 7 channels of your receiver, I'll second secondhander's suggestion above to try height speakers up front.

Sanjay
post #10 of 10 Old 04-27-2013, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Guess I will try hooking them up and seeing how they sound in different positions...
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page