Power cable management? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-26-2013, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Just wondering - in a rack/enclosed space, what are best practices for keeping power cable routing clean and safe? Something tells me bundling them up tight could be a potential fire hazard.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-26-2013, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 79
No, not a fire hazard.

But if you want clean, you can buy the right length IEC power cords, so they aren't bunched up.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n_1?rh=n%3A597260%2Ck%3Aiec+power+cord&keywords=iec+power+cord&ie=UTF8&qid=1366988866&rnid=2941120011

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #3 of 7 Old 04-26-2013, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I run power cords vertically on one side of the rack, and signal/LV cables on the other. Most of my components have the power cable on the right side, when viewing from the back, so I run them on the right. Use 2 lacer bars for the component which has the power cable on the wrong side.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #4 of 7 Old 04-26-2013, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

I run power cords vertically on one side of the rack, and signal/LV cables on the other. Most of my components have the power cable on the right side, when viewing from the back, so I run them on the right. Use 2 lacer bars for the component which has the power cable on the wrong side.

That makes sense, I'm about to wire up my rack and that sounds like it will work well.

I have an MA ERK rack with rear door. How do I go about getting and attaching rear rails?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
post #5 of 7 Old 04-26-2013, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 82
doublepost

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
post #6 of 7 Old 04-26-2013, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 75
The neatest way is to get a vertical power strip mounted to rear rack rails and plug each component into that via short power cables.

. We specialize in the design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-26-2013, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Thanks for the advice. In general its difficult to get correct length power cables, since the equipment I use is a mix of 3 prong female, 2 prong female, coaxial DC with a brick, and coaxial DC with a wall wart. In some cases the cable is not even removable from the equipment.

Currently I am running power cables down one side, but again they are all bundled together and I'm a little concerned about that.

I'm kicking around the idea of the vertical power strip. One problem is I have the Middle Atlantic ASR rack (the pull out and rotate rack), its not exactly the same as a usual rack, I might have difficulty finding something that will fit it properly. The only one I found was this one:

http://www.cableorganizer.com/home-theater-system/slim-power-strips.htm
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page