GARAGE INTO HOME STUDIO - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-03-2013, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I've posted on here once before about this question but I didn't have a understanding on the subject at all. So my first question is my garage has 3 brick concrete walls, a tin roof laying over wooden pillars & an open door next to the last wall which is made of tin & has an old window. I was wondering if I went out and fully sound proofed this garage would there even be a point because all the weak spots with the tin? & also I don't understand everything I'll need. What are the use of some of the clips, like Whisper clips, also what are the rubber pads used to separate the second flooring? & it's abit of a discussion on what insulation does actually sound proof so that would be useful to know as well. Where should i start studing first? & how do i know if cut the right size studs? just by measuring? thankyou for your time smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-03-2013, 05:50 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 729
everything you need to know about soundproofing is in the library of articles at Soundproofingcompany.com

get yourself into a public library and spend some time reading books about residential home construction. You need to fix that dilapidated shed garage before investing on the inside sound proofing.

and read everything I said in your other thread again.
Kwahu likes this.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-03-2013, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Also read up on "room within a room" construction - might be a better option if you don't plan on changing out some of the outer shell elements you mentioned, like the tin roof.
post #4 of 4 Old 05-03-2013, 08:20 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 729
You First order of business is to build a basic four wall structure with a sound roof. You have 3 walls the rest is trash based on your previously posted video. Tear down the tin wall and build a solid wall with a hefty door, doesn't have to be brick.

Then tear off the flat tin roof and replace with a code compliant roof for your region. This might involve adding roof trusses adding pitch to the roof, then sheathing, roofing felt and shingles.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page