Bit of help with my home theatre please. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-04-2013, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Actually it is with set-up. We recently built a home and now I am attempting to set-up my surround sound in the living area, but here is the problem. The TV is new and the receiver is old.

The television is an Emerson 32" HDTV, HDMI, model: BLC320em9b (yes, Walmart special Christmas before last) and my receiver is from the 90s or early 2000s. It is a Sony FM Stereo / fm-am Receiver STR- DE 445.

I had a great little system at our previous home, but it was with an older model television and now with the newer t.v. I can't get anything, except when I put the antenna on the receiver, I am able to get local radio.

Could someone please advise me how, if possible, I can hook this thing up?

Thanks so much. I am not a tech. guy, so I am hoping it is me that is doing something wrong.

Thanks again.

Elliot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-04-2013, 03:58 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 570
I actually looked up the on line manuals for your TV and the Receiver. The TV has a digital audio output and the Receiver has a digital audio input. connect those with an RCA cable.
Your TV needs to be connected to either cable, satellite or a digital TV antenna for local stations. Analog signals were phased out several years ago and you can throw any old antennas away. Once the TV is connected to a source you need to run the channel search function in the setup menu.

If this is over your head see if there is a 10 year old boy living on your street and ask his parents if he could come over and help you.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-04-2013, 06:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I assume you mean you are not getting a picture on the TV set?? Your antenna should still work on that set.

That model TV receiver appears to have an ATSC tuner, which should allow you to receive over-the-air digital TV signals. You will need to set up the channel scan to look for ATSC digital channels (the old NTSC analog over-the-air channels BIG is talking about were phased out several years ago)

With most ATSC digital tuners, you will not receive anything until after you run the channel scan, and it locates the available channels. There should also be a procedure for manually entering channels you know are there, but that can be very confusing.

I don't know where you are located, but you may need an outdoor antenna to receive the local channels. Try http://www.antennaweb.org/ for info on signal strengths and antenna types for your area.
post #4 of 9 Old 05-04-2013, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Big's right about the audio I think. I want to make sure though that you aren't trying to use the antenna connected to the receiver to get TV. That won't work. Any antenna (I use rabbit ears and a loop in my guest room) should receive digital TV if there are any good signals in your area. Most likely the stations are all UHF and can be received with most anything, but the loop is the part that's intended for UHF (the rabbit ears are for VHF - most digital TV stations are UHF, as only high VHF has adequate bandwidth for HDTV). There are newer designs optimized for digital transmission, but they aren't required.

On the other hand if you're paying for TV subscription service, you may need to work out something else. I haven't looked at the specs for your receiver.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-05-2013, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone... and I have a nine year old daughter... and she can't figure it out either, so I don't think the neighbor kid would be able to. smile.gif

All I am trying to do is get sound through the receiver from the television to the speakers. I know the receiver works, because I am able to hook-up the receiver's external antenna and get radio stations.

I did the RCA cable from the output on the television to the input on the receiver that says tv/sat, but nothing.... no sound what so ever when it is in the tv mode. We have Netflix and Hulu with an Apple TV, but I am not even able to get sound when I switch over local tv stations on the tv which has an antenna, which is attached to the television which the television picks up just fine.

On the back of the receiver I hooked-up the wires from the different speakers. The speakers work fine. When I run the speakers into the dvd player (which is separate) and not connected to the receiver, we are able to watch movies in surround sound from the DVD player.

My wife thinks the receiver is too old, but it does say "digital surround sound". I am combing the online manual. My thought is I don't have something in the proper mode.

All we are trying to do is get surround sound from the television through the receiver to the speakers. Sounds easy enough... maybe I should ask the neighbor kid?

Thanks all.

Elliot
post #6 of 9 Old 05-05-2013, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Is there an option on the TV to turn off the speakers and turn on the audio out?
post #7 of 9 Old 05-05-2013, 05:51 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot86 View Post

I did the RCA cable from the output on the television to the input on the receiver that says tv/sat, but nothing.... no sound what so ever when it is in the tv mode. We have Netflix and Hulu with an Apple TV, but I am not even able to get sound when I switch over local tv stations on the tv which has an antenna, which is attached to the television which the television picks up just fine.

wrong hole.

my previous instructions were "The TV has a digital audio output and the Receiver has a digital audio input. connect those with an RCA cable."

Look at your receiver from the back. on the upper left there is an input labeled digital coax audio input, or something like that, right next to the digital optical audio input. plug your RCA cable in there. I am going to assume you found the digital audio output on the TV. Maybe a big assumption on my part.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-05-2013, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 193
An easy way to get the connections right, oftentimes (like this one), is to match the colors. The digital audio output on the TV is orange - just like the digital audio input on the receiver. Once you've got a cable that connects those two ports, make sure you select that input on the receiver.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-06-2013, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

First of all thanks to all who responded. It seems I had all the cables in the correct places, but Bluewave's post got me thinking. Does this TV have some sort of audio output setting? If one goes into the control panel on the TV, the audio output is/was set on AUTO. It also has ANALOG and DIGITAL. Once I switched the setting over to digital no problems; television and videos in surround sound.

Once again thanks everyone, I not only didn't need to get the neighbor kid, but I proved my wife wrong as well, which I am sure I will pay for down the road, but all-in-all, not a bad day.

Regards,

Elliot
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page