TV and Speaker Placement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-04-2013, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
IMG_0096.JPG 1342k .JPG file IMG_0097.JPG 1297k .JPG file IMG_0095.JPG 1452k .JPG file

Hello

I have a fairly large living room. The room is approximately 15 wide x 25 long with 12 ft ceiling. I am considering a TV or projector. The placement of either could be above the fireplace as seen in the first picture or in place of the mirror which is in the second picture. My concern with the first option is the placement of a center channel speaker. The concern for the second option is that the TV would not be centered in the room and TV viewing may not be optimal.

My family room is doing current duty for HT. I have 55 inch Panasonic Plasma and 5.1 system with B&W in-ceiling. I do not plan to go in-ceiling in the living room.

I would like to go with B&W 805D for LR. Center could be another 805D or the B&W HTM4. Not sure what to do with the surrounds in this room. If the budget cannot accommodate the diamonds, then I might have to downgrade to CM series. I prefer bookshelf to towers.

So my question is this. If I go with TV above the fireplace, where do i place the center?

Also, where would I place the surrounds in a room like this. Would they be placed at listening level or be angled off the ceiling or back walls depending on where the TV is?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0095.JPG (1.42 MB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0096.JPG (1.31 MB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0097.JPG (1.27 MB, 25 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2013, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I would never place a screen above a fireplace. It places the screen just too high. I know many people do, but usually that is their only option.
On the other wall, I would not center the screen, as where the mirror is. But shifted to the right, leaving just enough room along that wall for the right speaker.
Surrounds are best being about 6 ft to their tops. But they can be lower if positioned so there is still a straight line of sight from the seating.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 21
It looks like you have an older home.

Lathe and plaster? It may make wall-mounting challenging to say the least.

John
Old 05-05-2013, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

I am trying to go with a room that will double as entertaining living room and home theater. This may be the biggest problem I will deal with in this transformation. As you can see the room is designed rather formally. The house was built in the 1920s. However, working under that premise if I use the wall where the mirror is located for TV, would it be possible to build a false wall to hide the speakers. As there is a door to the room on the right of the proposed false wall and as the ceilings are very high, I am not sure a false wall would work. I guess this would leave me with placing TV and equipment on the wall pretty much as is.

Any thoughts.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 53
If a projector is an option, you can build a soffit that matches your existing ceiling and house a drop down screen in the soffit, when you're not using the screen. (this would be along the mirror wall) It would stick down lower than the other exposed beams, but you can make it match the existing decor that way. Next is hiding the speakers, that will be dependent upon what style/choice you use there. Last is hiding the projector. It makes the throw pretty long, but you could build another soffit opposite from the screenwall and house your projector inside that - this would be dependent upon your projector choice and specs. That is a long throw ratio, but is an option.

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenP View Post

If a projector is an option, you can build a soffit that matches your existing ceiling and house a drop down screen in the soffit, when you're not using the screen. (this would be along the mirror wall) It would stick down lower than the other exposed beams, but you can make it match the existing decor that way. Next is hiding the speakers, that will be dependent upon what style/choice you use there. Last is hiding the projector. It makes the throw pretty long, but you could build another soffit opposite from the screenwall and house your projector inside that - this would be dependent upon your projector choice and specs. That is a long throw ratio, but is an option.

The OP does not want to hide his speakers...if he did, he would have bought in-walls. Redneck
Old 05-06-2013, 02:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post

The OP does not want to hide his speakers...if he did, he would have bought in-walls. Redneck

Really, that was needed? Redneck?

Look one post above mine, " However, working under that premise if I use the wall where the mirror is located for TV, would it be possible to build a false wall to hide the speakers."

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 319
I don't like the idea of putting the TV where the mirror is for two very good reasons: First, that would put the TV opposite an outside window which will generally give you horrible reflections and/or washed out images with the light coming in and second, you would be putting the TV behind a walking pathway through the house so people would be crossing in front of the viewing area all the time.

The way the room is set up and given the distance your sofa is away from the fireplace, mounting a display above the fireplace would be really hard on the neck from a viewing perspective for any sustained length of time.

Given the formality of the room and potential installation difficulties, I have never seen a more appropriate time to use a VisionArt product to completely conceal the display and center channel when not in use: http://www.visionartgalleries.com/ The box could be made taller than just the TV to accommodate a center channel speaker, like one of the better sound bars or one of the smaller "boxy" B&W center channel speakers.

And even if you flanked the fireplace with 805Ds on stands, you would have to get rid of your wingback chairs as not to block the sound.

I don't have to tell you this, but you have a really nice room that just so happens to be really terrible for the type of system you describe. Is there not another room in the house you could install this system?
Old 05-07-2013, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

I don't like the idea of putting the TV where the mirror is for two very good reasons: First, that would put the TV opposite an outside window which will generally give you horrible reflections and/or washed out images with the light coming in and second, you would be putting the TV behind a walking pathway through the house so people would be crossing in front of the viewing area all the time.

The way the room is set up and given the distance your sofa is away from the fireplace, mounting a display above the fireplace would be really hard on the neck from a viewing perspective for any sustained length of time.

Given the formality of the room and potential installation difficulties, I have never seen a more appropriate time to use a VisionArt product to completely conceal the display and center channel when not in use: http://www.visionartgalleries.com/ The box could be made taller than just the TV to accommodate a center channel speaker, like one of the better sound bars or one of the smaller "boxy" B&W center channel speakers.

And even if you flanked the fireplace with 805Ds on stands, you would have to get rid of your wingback chairs as not to block the sound.

I don't have to tell you this, but you have a really nice room that just so happens to be really terrible for the type of system you describe. Is there not another room in the house you could install this system?

I came to the same conclusion over the weekend.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Here is my current HT configuration. 55 inch Panasonic plasma and three B&W CCM 818 in-ceiling speakers for LCR and B&W CCM 684 in-ceiling for the surrounds.

My wife loves the in-ceiling as no speakers are showing. However, the sound image is less than optimal. For HT it is not too bad, but for two channel listening you really have to be on the ground to enjoy the music.

My plan now would be to place the B&W 805D on stands and place the HTM4 on the AV cabinet below the TV. If placing the HTM4 on the AV cabinet significantly diminishes the sound quality, I could just place on a stand and move the AV cabinet elsewhere in the room.

I will need to move the two chairs that are currently to the left and right of the TV as they would impede the new bookshelf speakers.

A couple of questions:

1. Should I keep the L and R in-ceiling speakers that are adjacent to the TV as front heights or wides. Alternatively, I could use the speakers in my kitchen in a separate zone.

2. Should I move the C in-ceiling speaker that is above the TV and move to be a surround back speaker. I was only thinking of having one surround back speaker due to the small size of the room.

3. I currently have an Onkyo TX SR 805 AV receiver. It has 140 watts per channel and Audyssey MultiEQ XT room correction. Based on my room configuration would I significantly benefit from Audyssey XT-32 or additional features on a more current AV receiver or PrePro.

I welcome any other suggestions you may have on my set-up.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Any thoughts
Old 05-10-2013, 03:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 319
I'm all for the better sound you get from the monitor speakers positioned much closer to ear level. If you use the 805s and HTM4 then I would eliminate the three front in-ceiling speakers and repurpose them elsewhere in your home. I would think there is limited benefit from the height channels in that size room and I think the fact that the Nautilus speakers and the in-ceiling speakers are not timbre-matched would be a definite downside to how the overall system sounds.

A few more thoughts:
-Placing the HTM4 on the TV stand would be fine, provided you place it all the way to the front of the stand so it is unobstructed to do its job.
-I wouldn't invest in a new receiver just for a new auto-EQ scheme, it's not worth it. The difference would be incremental at best IMHO.
-I think your seating position in relation to the TV would give you the most benefit. Right now the couch is pushed to one side and it seems as though none of the seating is set up in the ideal stereo "sweet spot", let alone home theater. Perhaps rearranging
-I would add a small B&W, Velodyne, REL or similar sub to the system if you like to watch a lot of movies. Even for TV and music the extra bass handling capabilities really fills out the sound.

Rearranging your seating and adding a sub will be your biggest benefit, followed by switching out the front 3 speakers for the much higher quality 805s and HTM4. Just my thoughts.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

thanks