nealfor Budget Home Theater Design/Build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-07-2013, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After 5-7 years of browsing this forum I am finally prepared to start asking some actual questions about the design of my home theater area.

Purchased a home back in September and got the larger parts of the punch list completed, including running some CAT5 to the most used rooms (living room/temporary office). One of the key selling features in my opinion was the large unfinished (but already studded) basement. Which gives me quite a few options, but, does come with a few challenges as well since the room sizes/locations are basically already configured. I am really quite new to the Home Theater arena so please forgive any simple questions smile.gif .

Some Pictures (obligatory forgive the cell phone pics it's pretty low light down in the basement):

My rudimentary sketchup drawing shows the locations of the HT room/wiring closet

Facing the screen wall (obviously the studs which were removed will be replaced)

Facing the back of the room L to R we have Sump Pump, Water Main, Pipe to Septic

Wiring Closet area you can see the treadmill again in the background which should give some scale.

My #1 question would be this:
What are the issues with having my electronics (AV/HTPC/etc) located in a room 8 feet away besides extra cost of wires? I already have the slight beginnings of a wiring closet set up in a room which is destined to be an office; and, would like to keep everything together in there if there is no big downside to locating the components in another room.
-Will remotes (like a harmony) work from another room?
-Approximate distance from wiring closet to the Projector location is ~16 feet
-Max distance of speaker wire length will be 35'

-Definitely going to go DD and GG, most likely whisper clips on the ceiling (perhaps around sump pump and on the screen wall due to the furnace being so close).
-I am still in the researching phase of the hardware but am leaning towards an Optoma HD20 or similar for the projector screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-07-2013, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
>>What are the issues with having my electronics (AV/HTPC/etc) located in a
>>room 8 feet away besides extra cost of wires?

+ keeps the room quiet
+ keeps the appearance of the room "neater" (unless you prefer the look of exposed gear, some do)
- a little longer walk to change discs
- may need to mitigate heat buildup in the equipment closet (have to do anyway, but if its a small enclosed space, heat can build up faster)
also need to plan for access to the rear of the equipment / rack for wiring changes

>>Will remotes (like a harmony) work from another room?

Yes, but you'll either need an IR repeater (I use one, works well) or perhaps use an RF remote (I don't have personal experience with them)
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page