Entry area or not? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-07-2013, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it preferable to have a rectangular home theater with a entry door that is along one of the walls or have a small entry area after the door before stepping into the theater?

I'm having a house built and can go either way but I was wondering if there is a reason to not have a small (3'x5' ) area that leads into the theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-07-2013, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigoober View Post

Is it preferable to have a rectangular home theater with a entry door that is along one of the walls or have a small entry area after the door before stepping into the theater?

I'm having a house built and can go either way but I was wondering if there is a reason to not have a small (3'x5' ) area that leads into the theater.

The small area would allow you to have communicating doors, which is a nice soundproofing upgrade. Check out mcasio's entry for an idea.

Tim
post #3 of 5 Old 05-07-2013, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 481
It also allows you to avoid light spray onto the screen or into the room as badly when the door opens. That is, if the door is placed at a right angle to the theater. The alcove can also be a good place for a recessed rack location, or in my case, a place for media storage...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #4 of 5 Old 05-08-2013, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tim, thanks. I thought of that but wasn't sure I liked the idea, but after seeing your example there, I think it might be worth looking in to.

Jeff, as always, thanks. It will be at a right angle to the screen and it the main reason I thought about keeping an entry area there. I do have a media closet that will have a door in this area. I plan on having the rack face towards the theater, but I am still debating that part too.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-08-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 54
If you have the room for it, an entry like that is a great feature to have. From sound isolation to "move theater feel" there are lots of benefits to such a space. You can post a sketch of the area for us to look at as well.

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page