12 x 10 room for home a home theater. Please help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-08-2013, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Capture.JPG 13k .JPG file Hi i just wanted some of your feedback. I have a small 10 x 12 room in a house that we're moving to soon and would like to make it into a small home theater. I attached a picture of the layout. I was planning on putting a couch near the wall next to the door and wall mount a 55 inch tv on the opposite wall. Is that enough space? If not would the wall with the window be the best place to put it?

The wall opposite the window I dont think can be used since there will be a closet on the right side. Please let me know your suggestions. I need to let the builders know where to put the outlets and stuff. Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (13.2 KB, 17 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-08-2013, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Your first suggestion, with the screen on the wall opposite the door leaves enough space for viewing, but it makes surround sound harder. Have you seen the seating distance guidelines from THX and SMPTE? This image makes for a nice summary - notice that the distances are given as ratios of image height.
G44
Your 55" display will have a height somewhere in the 27 inch neighborhood, so the normal recommendation would be as close as about 5 feet from the screen. You'll feel weird about that, I'm sure. But with HD content, it's a great way to watch a movie.

I'd probably go with the end wall, placing the screen in front of the window. You'll want some good way to block the light from the window, but that orientation will feel more natural and make you put your seating away from the wall. We generally set up living spaces with seating along the walls, but that's a bad way to design a movie theater (a listening room). This gives you room to grow if/when you get a larger display (like front projection).

Fred

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page