post #31 of 41 Old 09-17-2013, 05:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Liked: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereoforsale View Post

Maybe I'll do ~20 degrees on the left, and ~30 on the right. Not completely symmetrical and not quite 60 degrees, but that may be the best I can do.
If you want a lop-sided surround field, then go for it. I would keep things symmetrical, but it's not my system.

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 09-17-2013, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I would also keep everything symmetrical even if the rears have to be closer together
post #33 of 41 Old 09-17-2013, 07:28 PM

Liked: 16
Ok, got it. Symmetry is more important that degree separation. I'll have to go with about 40 degree separation, 20 on each side. Maybe this was another one of the reasons I originally opted for 6.1 wink.gif
post #34 of 41 Old 09-18-2013, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

No, sound from the left speaker will still come at you from the left side of the soundstage. Also, the L/R speakers aren't aimed at the opposite ear, but the opposite person on the couch (e.g., left speaker pointing at the person on the right end of the couch). For someone sitting at the middle of the couch, the extra toe-in will make the speakers cross a little bit in front of you.

But what about those not seated in the center? For example, in my room, we only have two seats, so neither is dead center of the screen.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #35 of 41 Old 09-18-2013, 07:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

But what about those not seated in the center? For example, in my room, we only have two seats, so neither is dead center of the screen.
By hearing the nearby speaker slightly off-axis, its level will be attenuated to compensate for its proximity. By hearing the far away speaker on-axis, its level will be slightly boosted to compensate for the additional distance. No different than what happens with 3 seats or 4 seats.

Sanjay
post #36 of 41 Old 09-19-2013, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Interesting conversation. I built a 6.1 system because I have a pair of windows along the back wall, there was only really room to put a single speaker in between them. I can't say I've ever had the experience where sound from that speaker seemed like it was coming from in front of me, but to be fair I mostly listen to 5.1 soundtracks up mixed to 6.1, rather than full 7.1 soundtracks down mixed to 6.1.
post #37 of 41 Old 09-19-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

By hearing the nearby speaker slightly off-axis, its level will be attenuated to compensate for its proximity. By hearing the far away speaker on-axis, its level will be slightly boosted to compensate for the additional distance. No different than what happens with 3 seats or 4 seats.

What you say sounds logical. I'm just having trouble getting past the (perhaps irrational) worry that, if I'm seated right of center, sounds from the right speaker will be aimed at my left ear and seem to come from the wrong direction.

Josh Z

post #38 of 41 Old 09-19-2013, 03:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

I'm just having trouble getting past the (perhaps irrational) worry that, if I'm seated right of center, sounds from the right speaker will be aimed at my left ear and seem to come from the wrong direction.
It's not aimed at the opposite ear. No matter where you point the speaker, its sound will hit the nearby ear first, because it is physically closer (no getting around that).

Rather than trying to get past an irrational worry, why don't you try it? Toeing in speakers has 2 things going for it: a) it's free (rotating a speaker doesn't cost anything) and b) it isn't permanent (if you don't like the sound, you can toe them back out).

Play some 2 channel material through your front L/R speakers as they are configured now (don't use any of the other speakers). Note where the vocals phantom image. Then point your speakers to the opposite seat and repeat the 2 channel music. If the phantom image is closer to the centre of the soundstage and you like how that sounds, great. If not, rotate them back to their current position.

Sanjay
post #39 of 41 Old 09-20-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Fair enough, Sanjay. I'll have to make some time to experiment.

Josh Z

post #40 of 41 Old 11-03-2013, 06:02 PM

Hi guys, so I finally found a 7th speaker to complete my 7.1 setup, but sadly I must say I am quite disappointed. To be fair, it may simply be the limitations of my room, and perhaps more tweaking will resolve the problem (but frankly, I've lost my patience).]

The rear channels are unable to create a convincing soundstage behind the listener... and the problem becomes worse, much worse, for anyone not sitting in the sweet spot. No amount of angling could fix the problem for one person without messing it up for other listeners. So the end result is that there is usually a massive void of sound behind the listener, which was obviously never a problem with 6.1. 7.1 gives you more depth than 5.1 but (for me) it doesn't adequately fill the gap between the speakers. But again, I think it probably has to do with the fact that my rear speakers are very far back and I can't quite get them far enough apart.... to get the ideal angle, they would be further apart than my surround speakers and obstructed.

So even if 6.1 has it's disadvantages and limitations, which I fully accept, the benefits far out weight those disadvantages, at least for me. Specifically the advantages are ease of set up, and a guaranteed soundstage directly behind the listener regardless of seating position.... the sound comes from the back, every time, no matter where you sit. It fills the void created by 5.1... nothing more, nothing less. Like mama always said, sometimes it's better to leave good enough alone.
post #41 of 41 Old 11-04-2013, 11:15 AM

Interesting to note the following article that recommends 10.1 with only a single rear speaker (granted I think this may have been written before a truly discrete 7.1 format was readily available).

http://www.audioholics.com/trade-shows/on-location-with-audyssey-laboratories/introducing-the-10-2-surround-format

Another point worth considering, if you plan to streaming/download movies, can you even get true 7.1? In my area, I cannot not.... so all this work to get 7.1 was not worth the effort, so to answer your question: no you will not miss 7.1 unless the dimensions of your room are ideal, and you plan to view blu rays... if you plan to stream/download, you should make sure you can even get decent 7.1 content.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page