Would I regret going 6.1 vs 7.1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 41 Old 05-08-2013, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am contemplating building a room based on 6.1 vs 7.1 and I was wondering if I anyone thinks this is a bad idea? There are two reasons to do this, the first is the location of the door, and since it is cut out of part my foundation I cannot change it. The door is located in the location that the right rear surround would ideally be located, so the only way I could do 7.1 would be to have the speakers either really far apart, close to the side wall, or really close together centered in the room, which really isn't all that different than 6.1. My second reason is I am doing matching bookshelves all around. These bookshelves are sold only as pairs, so I can either get 6 or 8. 6 is obviously cheaper, and 8 leaves a wasted speaker.

I know there are not of ton of true 7.1 soundtracks, so I am not too worrried about missing too much, but I am worried about the effect 6.1 can have on the accoustics where sometimes with a single rear, it can sound like the sound is coming from the front instead of back. Is there any way to mitigate that?

Room dimensions are 23x17x8

Thanks

PS, I know I can always wire for both scenarios, and I will do that just in case, I am just looking for other feedback
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 05-08-2013, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

not sure if it matters but speakers are Klipsch rb-61 and receiver is Denon 4308
post #3 of 41 Old 05-08-2013, 12:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by davdev View Post

I am contemplating building a room based on 6.1 vs 7.1 and I was wondering if I anyone thinks this is a bad idea?
Depends on where your main seating is located: at or near the back wall, then stick to a 5.1 layout; well away from the back wall, then 7.1 will work.
Quote:

...the only way I could do 7.1 would be to have the speakers either really far apart, close to the side wall...
If your seating is at least 7.5 feet away from the back wall, then your rear speakers would not be too far apart (near the side walls would mean a 90 degree spread).
Quote:

I know there are not of ton of true 7.1 soundtracks...
There are over 700 Blu-rays with discrete 7.1 soundtracks. Besides, 5.1 material plays really well on 7.1 speakers.

Sanjay
post #4 of 41 Old 05-08-2013, 02:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I'd go 7.1 personally. The amount of content is increasing quickly, and as Sdurani mentioned there is already a lot of content in 7.1 That will soon become the main mix on the majority of BR content.
post #5 of 41 Old 05-08-2013, 03:22 PM

Liked: 44
Depending upon what receiver you have, you could try two height speakers or wide speakers up front instead of rear surrounds. If you can, try to experiment to see which one you prefer.
post #6 of 41 Old 05-08-2013, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 55
With that large space, you'll not regret going to 7.1. I went from 5.1 to 7.1 and I'm very happy. I've tried with DSX wide but hate the echoey sound in certain audio tracks.
post #7 of 41 Old 05-08-2013, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
You could also do in ceiling or in wall speakers to accommodate the odd back wall. Personally, I'd wire for 11.1 and use 7.1 as a minimum with the rears being in ceiling if needed. There are many movies that have good discrete 7.1 soundtracks these days.

CJ

Follow my build here: Harvest Ridge Theater
post #8 of 41 Old 06-06-2013, 05:29 AM

I opted to go 6.1 instead of 7.1...I did however wire for 11.1. Like Carbo said above i used in ceiling for my surrounds. My room is similar in size to yours except I have 10ft ceilings. I used Mirage OmniCans, miragespeakers.com/products/omnican-series/?sku=OMNICAN-OC-65 for my surrounds. The dispersion of sound was so good for my environment that I only chose to stay at 6.1...sounds like 11.1.

"Get your hands out of my pocket"
post #9 of 41 Old 09-08-2013, 05:16 PM

Liked: 16
I am facing the same situation. Will wire for 7.1, but will probably only do 6.1. Here are my reasons:

1) THX recommends putting the 2 rear speakers right beside each other... um, in other words, they basically RECOMMEND 6.1 over 7.1.

2) Audyessy says their studies show it is more important to add wide and height speakers before adding a 2nd rear speaker (in other words 1 rear is enough!)

3) to avoid the issue of the 1 rear sounding like it is coming form the front (which frankly, I'm not too worried about), just tilt is downward toward your seating position so it's not firing directly at the opposite wall. Easy fix.

4) no sense burdening my multi-channel amp unnecessarily... leaves more power for all other speakers

5) even though the number of movies with discrete 7.1 channels of audio in steadily increasing and one day they may all come with 7.1, realistically how often will it matter if the rears are in mono v.s. stereo... I'm guessing hardly ever.
post #10 of 41 Old 09-08-2013, 11:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereoforsale View Post

1) THX recommends putting the 2 rear speakers right beside each other... um, in other words, they basically RECOMMEND 6.1 over 7.1.
Um, for lossless audio (Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA), they recommend spreading the rear speakers 60 degrees apart:

Check it out for yourself:
http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-entertainment/home-theater/surround-sound-speaker-set-up/
Quote:

2) Audyessy says their studies show it is more important to add wide and height speakers before adding a 2nd rear speaker (in other words 1 rear is enough!)
The studies they point to show that our human hearing is weaker around us than in front of us (duh). They twist this into a 9-speaker recommendation that places a full 7 of those speakers up front and uses only 2 speakers to cover the entire surround field. Talk about lopsided. Placing more speakers where our hearing is strongest makes as much sense as prescribing eyeglasses for people with the strongest vision or giving crutches to people with the strongest legs.

Thankfully, the movie industry has done the exact opposite of Audyssey's recommendations, going from one surround channel (Dolby Stereo) to 2 surround channels (discrete 5.1) to 3 surround channels (Surround EX) to 4 surround channels (discrete 7.1). Meanwhile, the number of front channels has stayed the same (3) during all those years. So, they've added channels where our human hearing is weakest and needs the additional support.
Quote:

3) to avoid the issue of the 1 rear sounding like it is coming form the front (which frankly, I'm not too worried about), just tilt is downward toward your seating position so it's not firing directly at the opposite wall. Easy fix.
The psychoacoustic phenomenon of imaging reversals is not caused by reflections off the front wall, so you can't fix the problem by tilting the rear speaker down, since you'll still hear the sound exactly the same in both ears, just as you would if the sound were directly in front of you (which is where you brain will reflexively place it momentarily).

Truly fixing the problem couldn't be easier: just use 2 rear speakers, spread well away (at least 60 degrees) from the listener's centre line. When Dolby, DTS and THX were coming up with EX/ES formats, they all recommended playing back the mono surround-back channel through 2 speakers. It was the only channel where 2 speakers were recommended for playback. So, you might not be "too worried about it", but clearly the people that invented 6.1 technology rightfully were.
Quote:

4) no sense burdening my multi-channel amp unnecessarily... leaves more power for all other speakers
If your 7-channel amp is burdened by 7 speakers, you need a better amp.
Quote:

5) even though the number of movies with discrete 7.1 channels of audio in steadily increasing and one day they may all come with 7.1, realistically how often will it matter if the rears are in mono v.s. stereo... I'm guessing hardly ever.
Only if you can't hear the difference between sounds over your left shoulder vs sounds over your right shoulder.

Sanjay
post #11 of 41 Old 09-09-2013, 07:38 AM

thanks sdurani. I appreciate your comments. Problem I have is there is still a debate and no conclusive agreement, which you seem to confirm. This is why I think 6.1 is just fine, if 7.1 isn't a realistic or convenient option (which I think was the point of this thread). Of course, if time, space and money are no object, then get 11 speakers, 5 subs and a 1000W x 11ch amp. Specifically addressing the points above:

1) THX recommends different placement of the rears depensing on the mode/usage - i.e. no consensus.

2) Audyssey and the industry disagree - i.e. no consensus. And I disagree with your analogy re: glasses. A better analogy would be: 2 rear speakers is like giving glasses to a blind man, whereas adding speakers to the front is like giving binoculars to a person with 20/20 vision.

3) not an easy fix if you have a door where the one of the 2 rears is supposed to be. Living with the psychoacoustic phenomenon might just be one of those trade-offs in life. I can think of worse things in life.

4) I agree. Given space constraints I have to make due with what I have... and I'd rather give some more headroom to my mains than add a 7th speaker right now... may change when I do my next upgrade.

5) On this point, I'm not sure. I was led to believe the reason for using 2 rear speakers is to eliminate the psychoacoustic phenomenon you mentioned eariler. The 2 rear speakers working together will place the sound as if it is coming from right behind you (not over your left and right shoulder as you suggest), in the same way your L & R speakers image a sound precisely between them (which, btw, is an arguement that you don't really need a centre channel either). And it is worth mentioning this rear stereo effect will only be felt by the person sitting in the sweet spot - all other listeners will not get a well defined central rear sound with 7.1 (but they would with 6.1 - which is another potential reason 6.1 is actually better than 7.1... so it may be that 7.1 also presents it's own trade-offs).

In any event, I don't disagree with your general point. I'm just saying that there are arguments both ways, and no consensus, so no worries if you do 6.1 if you need to. I will say the jump form 5.1 to 6.1 is signficant (if your rear walls are far behind the sitting area), but perhaps the jump from 6.1 to 7.1 is not as big. Some may disagree, hence no consensus.
post #12 of 41 Old 09-09-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 93
As others have mentioned, 7.1 in the ceiling sounds like a good solution based on your constraints. I'd wire for that in case you don't like the 6.1 experiment.
post #13 of 41 Old 09-09-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

As others have mentioned, 7.1 in the ceiling sounds like a good solution based on your constraints. I'd wire for that in case you don't like the 6.1 experiment.

Just curious, would in-ceiling speakers be effective if they are several feet (12-17ft) behind the seating area?
post #14 of 41 Old 09-09-2013, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Um, for lossless audio (Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA), they recommend spreading the rear speakers 60 degrees apart:

Check it out for yourself:
http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-entertainment/home-theater/surround-sound-speaker-set-up/
The studies they point to show that our human hearing is weaker around us than in front of us (duh). They twist this into a 9-speaker recommendation that places a full 7 of those speakers up front and uses only 2 speakers to cover the entire surround field. Talk about lopsided. Placing more speakers where our hearing is strongest makes as much sense as prescribing eyeglasses for people with the strongest vision or giving crutches to people with the strongest legs.

Thankfully, the movie industry has done the exact opposite of Audyssey's recommendations, going from one surround channel (Dolby Stereo) to 2 surround channels (discrete 5.1) to 3 surround channels (Surround EX) to 4 surround channels (discrete 7.1). Meanwhile, the number of front channels has stayed the same (3) during all those years. So, they've added channels where our human hearing is weakest and needs the additional support.
The psychoacoustic phenomenon of imaging reversals is not caused by reflections off the front wall, so you can't fix the problem by tilting the rear speaker down, since you'll still hear the sound exactly the same in both ears, just as you would if the sound were directly in front of you (which is where you brain will reflexively place it momentarily).

Truly fixing the problem couldn't be easier: just use 2 rear speakers, spread well away (at least 60 degrees) from the listener's centre line. When Dolby, DTS and THX were coming up with EX/ES formats, they all recommended playing back the mono surround-back channel through 2 speakers. It was the only channel where 2 speakers were recommended for playback. So, you might not be "too worried about it", but clearly the people that invented 6.1 technology rightfully were.
If your 7-channel amp is burdened by 7 speakers, you need a better amp.
Only if you can't hear the difference between sounds over your left shoulder vs sounds over your right shoulder.
+1

I have gone from 5.1 > 5.1+DSX Wide > 7.1
IMO, the rear surrounds are much better than the problematic DSX Wide.
post #15 of 41 Old 09-09-2013, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 93
Quote:

Just curious, would in-ceiling speakers be effective if they are several feet (12-17ft) behind the seating area?

Do they have to be that far back? What would keep you from placing them closer?

Triad offers a few options with angled baffles. I think 60 degrees above/behind the listening position is the recommended placement but you would need to confirm that.
post #16 of 41 Old 09-09-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

Do they have to be that far back? What would keep you from placing them closer?

Triad offers a few options with angled baffles. I think 60 degrees above/behind the listening position is the recommended placement but you would need to confirm that.

I have a bulk head running just behind the sitting area, and then a ~15 ft open space past that. I thought about putting rears along the bulk head, but it would be too close to the seating area for decent effect. I figure I'd need to put in-ceiling speakers several feet behind the bulk head so that the sound isn't blocked. So, for now, I've been doing 6.1 (1 rear against the back wall) and this is a major improvement over 5.1. Unfortunately, it's not as easy to add 2 rear speakers as some people like to suggest. Given the dimensions of my room, there is virtually no way to position 2 rears 60 degrees apart without them behind blocked by other walls.

Another reason I'm doing 6.1 is my 6th speaker matches my 5 other speakers. Even if I wanted to buy a 7th, they are discontinued. I'd rather use this 1 amazing speaker and keep the tonal balance thru-out the room, rather than buy a pair of inferior mis-matched speakers.

At the end of the day, unless someone can confirm that the 2 rears are primarily designed to do more than create a single image coming from behind listener, then I'm inclinded to think a well positioned 6.1 set up (even with the psychoacoustic phenomenon) is superior to a poorly positioned and mis-matched 7.1 set up.

And it may also be worth mentioning that the original studies found the ideal surround sound is achieved with only 5 channels - with the 5th channel being 1 rear, not the center channel. But why sell 5 speakers when you can convince people to buy 7, 9 even 11 speakers! Heck now they are telling us to buy 4 subs! Anyway you get my point smile.gif
post #17 of 41 Old 09-09-2013, 04:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

1) THX recommends different placement of the rears depensing on the mode/usage - i.e. no consensus.
They recommend rear speakers 60 degrees apart when listening to lossless soundtracks, which is all you'll be listening to on Blu-ray. Interesting that you point to their speaker-together recommendation earlier but, just one post later, dismiss their speaker-apart recommendation because it doesn't fit with your pre-determined decision.

THX doesn't validate a 6.1 placement: even with the rear speakers together, they use ASA (spatializer-like processing) to make the rear speaker sound like they're further apart, which cannot be done with a single speaker. Considering their speaker-apart recommendation is the same as Dolby and DTS recommendations, there most definitely is concensus.
Quote:

2) Audyssey and the industry disagree - i.e. no consensus. And I disagree with your analogy re: glasses. A better analogy would be: 2 rear speakers is like giving glasses to a blind man, whereas adding speakers to the front is like giving binoculars to a person with 20/20 vision.
Again, there is concensus; Audyssey is the outlier, since they sell processing that generates heights and wides (and don't sell processing to extract rears). And, as with THX, there is nothing on the Audyssey website validating a 6.1-speaker set-up.

BTW, my analogy had to do with Audyssey adding support where our hearing is already at its best rather than supporting where our hearing is weaker, as everyone else in the industry (commercial cinema AND consumer audio) has done. You blind man analogy would work if were were deaf to the surround field, which is hardly the case.
Quote:

3) not an easy fix if you have a door where the one of the 2 rears is supposed to be. Living with the psychoacoustic phenomenon might just be one of those trade-offs in life. I can think of worse things in life.
You could say that about anything. Heck, there are worse things in life than not having a home audio set-up.

Rear speaker placement doesn't have to be exactly 60 degrees apart, just away from the centre line. So the door can be worked around, though that isn't the real reason you're avoiding 7.1.
Quote:

4) I agree. Given space constraints I have to make due with what I have... and I'd rather give some more headroom to my mains than add a 7th speaker right now... may change when I do my next upgrade.
Not using one out of 7 outputs will give a negligible amount of headroom to the other 6 speakers. Again, that's not the reason you're avoiding 7.1.
Quote:

5) On this point, I'm not sure. I was led to believe the reason for using 2 rear speakers is to eliminate the psychoacoustic phenomenon you mentioned eariler. The 2 rear speakers working together will place the sound as if it is coming from right behind you (not over your left and right shoulder as you suggest), in the same way your L & R speakers image a sound precisely between them (which, btw, is an arguement that you don't really need a centre channel either). And it is worth mentioning this rear stereo effect will only be felt by the person sitting in the sweet spot - all other listeners will not get a well defined central rear sound with 7.1 (but they would with 6.1 - which is another potential reason 6.1 is actually better than 7.1... so it may be that 7.1 also presents it's own trade-offs).
Your explanation is based on a false premise, since that's not how two speakers work, even when generating the same signal. The sound from each speaker is heard in the nearby ear first, then (after a brief inter-aural delay as some of the frequencies wrap around your head) the sound is heard the opposite ear. This is very different from a single speaker, where the sound shoots directly to both ears.

This is why Dolby, DTS and THX all recommended two speakers for reproducing a mono surround-back signal. They wouldn't have done this if there was no difference betwen using a single rear speaker and 2 rear speakers.
Quote:

In any event, I don't disagree with your general point. I'm just saying that there are arguments both ways, and no consensus, so no worries if you do 6.1 if you need to. I will say the jump form 5.1 to 6.1 is signficant (if your rear walls are far behind the sitting area), but perhaps the jump from 6.1 to 7.1 is not as big. Some may disagree, hence no consensus.
There is plenty of concensus, but it doesn't fit in with your a priori decision to use a single rear speaker. If you want to do a 6.1 layout (because you can't find a 7th speaker of your discontinued model), then that's your prerogative. The validation you're desperately looking for doesn't exist.

Sanjay
post #18 of 41 Old 09-09-2013, 05:29 PM

Ok, thanks for the info. Yes, 7.1 is the way to go. Given my constraints, any recommendation how I can achieve it? Specifically:
1) what in the minimum degree separation between the 2 rears you recommend?
2) is it ok if the rears are actually further apart than the surrounds?
3) would it be ok to use different speakers in the rear? I'm not really in the market to buy a whole new set.
4) is there any concern that the rears will be significantly further away than my other speakers and therefore set to a much higher volume? Will the typical wall small mount speakers be adequate? Or is this much ado about nothing?
post #19 of 41 Old 09-09-2013, 06:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

1) what in the minimum degree separation between the 2 rears you recommend?
At least 60 degrees. If there is a door at 30 degrees from the centre line, then spread your rear speakers wider to avoid the door.
Quote:

2) is it ok if the rears are actually further apart than the surrounds?
Physical distance isn't the issue, speaker angle is. If avoiding the door means that your rear speakers are 70 or 80 degrees apart, then that's not a problem. By comparison, your side speakers should be directly to your sides, which places them 180 degrees apart. Your rears won't even come close to that spread (angular spread, not physical distance).
Quote:

3) would it be ok to use different speakers in the rear? I'm not really in the market to buy a whole new set.
Yes. Even in this day and age of surround sound, the front soundstage remains critical. So, matching L/C/R speakers is most important. The surrounds aren't as critical because they play back less content AND the content they are playing back isn't as important to following the story (mixers don't put important dialogue in the surround channels).

With that in mind, the speakers at your sides have to blend in with the front soundstage in order to bring the sound into the room. So having identical (or tiimbre matched) sides is helpful. Less important are the rear speakers, since they are further away from the soundstage (not to mention that our human hearing is not as acute behind us).

BTW, I would still keep an eye out on eBay and AudioGon and other sites to see if a used pair of your current speakers show up. Down the road, if you can replace your rears with speakers that are identical to the others, then that would be nice.
Quote:

4) is there any concern that the rears will be significantly further away than my other speakers and therefore set to a much higher volume? Will the typical wall small mount speakers be adequate? Or is this much ado about nothing?
Small wall-mount speakers from the same brand as your current speakers would be a good choice. The difference in level needed for their further placement won't blow them up (not like your're putting them 30 feet further than your other speakers).

Sanjay
post #20 of 41 Old 09-09-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:

At least 60 degrees. If there is a door at 30 degrees from the centre line, then spread your rear speakers wider to avoid the door.
Physical distance isn't the issue, speaker angle is. If avoiding the door means that your rear speakers are 70 or 80 degrees apart, then that's not a problem. By comparison, your side speakers should be directly to your sides, which places them 180 degrees apart. Your rears won't even come close to that spread (angular spread, not physical distance).
Yes. Even in this day and age of surround sound, the front soundstage remains critical. So, matching L/C/R speakers is most important. The surrounds aren't as critical because they play back less content AND the content they are playing back isn't as important to following the story (mixers don't put important dialogue in the surround channels).

With that in mind, the speakers at your sides have to blend in with the front soundstage in order to bring the sound into the room. So having identical (or tiimbre matched) sides is helpful. Less important are the rear speakers, since they are further away from the soundstage (not to mention that our human hearing is not as acute behind us).

BTW, I would still keep an eye out on eBay and AudioGon and other sites to see if a used pair of your current speakers show up. Down the road, if you can replace your rears with speakers that are identical to the others, then that would be nice.
Small wall-mount speakers from the same brand as your current speakers would be a good choice. The difference in level needed for their further placement won't blow them up (not like your're putting them 30 feet further than your other speakers).

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I think you see that I wasn't trying to desperately advocate my point. I was open to your more-informed opinion (even if a bit sarcastic wink.gif ). As for finding a matching 7th channel, I've been looking online all summer... but even the 1 rear I have now is rather large and heavy for a "rear" so it will probably be easier to get 2 new smaller ones, even if they are not the same as all the others. Your comments reassure me that timber matching is not an issue for the rears. I'm using B&W Matrix series so I'm thinking a pair of B&W M1s or FPM-2s will do the trick for the surrounds... I hope I don't blow the up! (maybe I'll buy used just in case wink.gif
post #21 of 41 Old 09-09-2013, 06:48 PM

... sorry I meant : M1s or FPM-2s for the REARS (not the surrounds.. I'm using 805s for the surrounds)
post #22 of 41 Old 09-10-2013, 06:01 AM

Quote:

Sdurani, follow-up question: should the rears be pointed straight forward, or should they be angled toward the sitting area? The reason I ask is this will determine which rear speakers I will use. I think the B&W M1s will be easier to angle inward than the B&W FPM-2 (although I would prefer the FPM-2 for sound quality and room aesthetics). Thanks!
post #23 of 41 Old 09-10-2013, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Always try to point the speakers towards the listening position no matter what channel they are.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #24 of 41 Old 09-10-2013, 11:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

should the rears be pointed straight forward, or should they be angled toward the sitting area?
I like to point speakers at the listener on the opposite end of the couch (sometimes called "energy trading").

A speaker near you will be louder than a speaker further away from you. Likewise, a speaker pointed directly at you will usually be louder than a speaker pointed away from you. If you mount a pair of speakers flat on the back wall, then the person on the left side of the sofa will have a speaker that is closer to him AND pointed at him, while the opposite speakers is further from him AND pointed away from him. The nearby speaker has two things making it louder while the opposite speaker has two things making it quieter.

This double-whammy for each speaker will really exaggerate the level differences between them and cause the nearby speaker to dominate compared to the opposite speaker. You can't do anything about the proximity, but you can point the opposite speaker towards him so that it get slightly louder and makes up for being further away, which means the nearby speaker will be pointed away from him, making up for being closer. So you trade a little on-axis energy to compensate for proximity.

For the listener in the sweet spot at the middle of the couch, things will still sound symmetrical, since both speakers will have been toed in equally. But the improved balance will be a welcome relief to listeners on either side of him.

Sanjay
post #25 of 41 Old 09-16-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:

Turns out I can't do 30 degrees on either side of the main seating location. To get 60 degree separation, I'd have to do put the right rear speaker at about 40-50 degrees, and the left rear speaker about 10-20 degrees AND many feet closer to the seating area than the right speaker. The other option is to keep them 30-40 degrees apart (15-20 degrees on either side) - is that too close? Any suggestions? What's my best option? Thanks!
post #26 of 41 Old 09-16-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:

I like to point speakers at the listener on the opposite end of the couch (sometimes called "energy trading").

A speaker near you will be louder than a speaker further away from you. Likewise, a speaker pointed directly at you will usually be louder than a speaker pointed away from you. If you mount a pair of speakers flat on the back wall, then the person on the left side of the sofa will have a speaker that is closer to him AND pointed at him, while the opposite speakers is further from him AND pointed away from him. The nearby speaker has two things making it louder while the opposite speaker has two things making it quieter.

This double-whammy for each speaker will really exaggerate the level differences between them and cause the nearby speaker to dominate compared to the opposite speaker. You can't do anything about the proximity, but you can point the opposite speaker towards him so that it get slightly louder and makes up for being further away, which means the nearby speaker will be pointed away from him, making up for being closer. So you trade a little on-axis energy to compensate for proximity.

For the listener in the sweet spot at the middle of the couch, things will still sound symmetrical, since both speakers will have been toed in equally. But the improved balance will be a welcome relief to listeners on either side of him.

Does this interfere with the directionality of discrete effects, if a sound coming from the right is aimed toward your left ear and vice versa?

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #27 of 41 Old 09-17-2013, 03:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Does this interfere with the directionality of discrete effects, if a sound coming from the right is aimed toward your left ear and vice versa?
No, sound from the left speaker will still come at you from the left side of the soundstage. Also, the L/R speakers aren't aimed at the opposite ear, but the opposite person on the couch (e.g., left speaker pointing at the person on the right end of the couch). For someone sitting at the middle of the couch, the extra toe-in will make the speakers cross a little bit in front of you.

Sanjay
post #28 of 41 Old 09-17-2013, 03:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Turns out I can't do 30 degrees on either side of the main seating location. To get 60 degree separation, I'd have to do put the right rear speaker at about 40-50 degrees, and the left rear speaker about 10-20 degrees AND many feet closer to the seating area than the right speaker. The other option is to keep them 30-40 degrees apart (15-20 degrees on either side) - is that too close? Any suggestions? What's my best option? Thanks!
You can go wider than 60 degrees. The old Dolby 7.1 layout recommendation shows the rears between 60-90 degrees apart:

With the right rear speaker being 40 degrees from centre line, can you place the left rear speaker also 40 degrees from centre line?

If not, then place them as wide apart as symmetrically possible, even if that means a 30-40 degree seperation.

Sanjay
post #29 of 41 Old 09-17-2013, 04:36 PM

Liked: 36
I thought this was an interesting article on the 6.1 vs 7.1 debate...

http://www.homecinemaguru.com/how-many-surround-speakers-should-you-install-in-your-theater/

FWIW I went 6.1 over 5.1 only cos I had a spare speaker from the matching series after upgrading my centre speaker and because of space constraints similar to the OP. I was amazed how much more impressive it was for Blurays with some rear surround info (Transformers Dark of the Moon comes to mind). I figure the single rear gets me all of the benefit for 6 channel content, most of the benefit for 7 channel content and does a better job of panning from L surround to R surround on 5 channel material (which is the vast majority of content out there). I did read about the issue of centre rear back-to-front reversal before I installed the 6th channel but haven't knowingly encountered any issue (I'm finding sound coming from the rear speaker does sound like that's where it's located when facing front). If I had my absolute 'perfect setup' I would have 7.1 but have not regretted the decision to go 6.1 and am not looking for another speaker. Currently upgrading to bigger dual subs instead.

My 2c
Phil
post #30 of 41 Old 09-17-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:

With the right rear speaker being 40 degrees from centre line, can you place the left rear speaker also 40 degrees from centre line?
If not, then place them as wide apart as symmetrically possible, even if that means a 30-40 degree seperation.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I can only go about 20 degrees on the left side. Maybe I'll do ~20 degrees on the left, and ~30 on the right. Not completely symmetrical and not quite 60 degrees, but that may be the best I can do. If it's better than 6.1 then it's worth it.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page