carpet vs laminate flooring for the HT room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-09-2013, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello.

Any comments regarding the type of flooring for a home theatre.? The room will be about 15 w X 25 ft l, 10 ft ceilings, insulated walls.
I am torn between what flooring I am going to install. I will be putting down a drycore sub floor but I am a little dubious about carpet in a basement. I think the issues are the same if the basement floods regarding either, wet is wet but carpeting will be worse.
I am not an audiophile but I love the sub woofer woofing away. How bad would laminate flooring be for sound quality?

Thanks.

Doug B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2013, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Have you ever been in a high school gym with a band or DJ playing before a lot of people filled the space? Remember all of the reflections and echos that made it impossible to make out the lyrics? Those are the kind of issues I would be worried about. I would worry about the clarity, maybe even the intelligibility, of the dialogue.

Carpet reduces an awful lot of mid- and high-frequency reflections that might otherwise muck about with the dialogue.

Maker of the finest saw dust since 1980, give or take

MY Custom AV Cabinet with DIY Pull-Out and Rotate Rack
Old 05-22-2014, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I personally prefer carpet flooring on my HT room because they absorb most of the sound and doesn't create a echoing noise. You can install a wool carpet because they are stain resistant and also fire resistant.