New Amplifier with 20 amp/12 Gage Plug Question??? Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-10-2013, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all, I just received my Emotiva XPR-5 tonight. Have it all set up and ready to go. My Yamaha RX-Z11 will be acting as a processor with the Emotiva handling the main, center and surrounds. They Yamaha amps will handle the back surrounds and side surrounds. My question is this. The last step was to insert the power cord into the Emotiva and low and behold it has a 20 amp T-blade plug on it. I did have 2 20 amp circuits added to the back of my rack area, but my installer used normal 15 amp receptacles. I have read up on this and appears to be OK and to code still. Issue is although these are really 20 amp circuit I cant directly plug the amplifier in. My options are replace the receptacle or by an t-blade to normal 3 prong converter. Does anyone know if using an adapter is safe for my equipment?

Jim Parys

is Living the dream...

La Sirena III Theater

JVC DILA-RS95

Panamorph UH-480/ATH1 Anamorphic Lens

Stewart Ultramat 200, 120", 2.0 Gain, 16x9 Aspec Screen (Motorized)

SI Black Diamond Zero Edge G2, 144", 1.4 Gain, 2:35 Aspec)

Yamaha...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-10-2013, 04:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Just replace the receptacle, after all the original receptacle is a 15 amp and I don't think your Emotiva amp has a real 20 amp power cord for nothing. Look at the Emotiva's spec's and find the number for its amp draw to see why. I don't think that an T blade adaptor can hurt anything, it is just one more contact in the chain and the fewer the better, and that 15 amp receptacle is a weak link in the circuit. It is any easy job and the parts are cheap at Home Depot, just make sure that you drop the circuit at the box first.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-10-2013, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 174
There is no official UL listed adapter available. That would defeat the purpose of the special 20a plug. Someone could make one though with off the shelf parts.

The best option is to replace the receptacle as you already have a 20a circuit. The other option would be to replace the plug or power cord, but a new cord would have to be #12wire and cutting the factory plug off the OEM cord would void your warranty..

The 15a receptacle and plugs can still safely carry 20amps, the receptacles in particular as they still must carry 20amps for loop through wiring.

But again, the best option is to simply replace the receptacle.

FWEIW, if these are dedicated receptacles per 20a circuit I believe that should have been 20a by code. I don't think code allows a single 15a duplex receptacles on a 20 amp circuit. If there are more than one duplex it's OK. So you might be able to argue an illegal installation with your electrician and get it done as a warranty job.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #4 of 4 Old 05-10-2013, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
thanks all. I agree simplest way is just to replace the receiptical. Shouldnt take more than 10mins. Thanks for the advice.

Jim Parys

is Living the dream...

La Sirena III Theater

JVC DILA-RS95

Panamorph UH-480/ATH1 Anamorphic Lens

Stewart Ultramat 200, 120", 2.0 Gain, 16x9 Aspec Screen (Motorized)

SI Black Diamond Zero Edge G2, 144", 1.4 Gain, 2:35 Aspec)

Yamaha...

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page