Procella Powered Home Theater v 2.0 - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 78 Old 07-10-2013, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm sorry if you've mentioned it elsewhere, but I cannot see it. Do you mind me asking who you engaged for the AT plan?

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII
Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 78 Old 07-10-2013, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pär Hörnell of http://www.tiwia.se is the project planner and Matts of http://www.diffusor.com/index.htm is the acoustic expert that worked with Pär.
post #63 of 78 Old 07-11-2013, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am nearing the end of my HT journey....the end is in sight! It has been a real challenge as I am not a real carpenter or great with tools. However having a strict and limited budget with this HT I had to do the work myself. Matts has made all this possible by his DIY Wing which is an affordable version of the Wing family for folks like myself with a limited budget and willing to assemble them yourself.....very easy to assemble by the way. I put up all the acoustic treatment myself and I am amazed I didn't totally screw something up or break something!!!biggrin.gif

Matts even gave me some reinforced cardboard tubes he had laying around in his garage! It is very refreshing to meet someone like Matts who would have a double PHD in acoustics if they were giving them out and yet he is an incredibly down to earth guy who loves movies and HT as much as me. However I have more Blu rays than him.tongue.gif

If I had an unlimited budget I would definitely have Matts create a one of a kind masterpiece like this one! Ah well, one can dream.
post #64 of 78 Old 07-11-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamelover360 View Post

I have had one pro use measurements to find the best location for the speakers and another consult me as to where I should put what type of acoustic treatment. I have put the treatments up myself and built some myself with the guidance of these pros. I haven't haphazardly placed treatment on the walls I can assure you. As far as final calibration I am very happy with Audyssey Pro.

Sorry about my inference on the design aspect, but I have to say - you may be happy with Audyssey Pro, but you will be much happier with a real calibration smile.gif
post #65 of 78 Old 07-11-2013, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well for now Audyssey pro is what fits in my budget since I own the kit. I am super happy with what it does..... So for now ignorance is bliss. Maybe some day the calibration will happen..... But for now I am counting my blessings for being at this point with the room on my budget.
post #66 of 78 Old 07-12-2013, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Gamelover. May I ask you if you are using the old or new versions of the Procella speakers? When I look around the web and judging by the look of the woofer cones both the P15 and the P6 looks like they have been through a few iterations. Both the P6 and P15 in your Pictures look like the old ones, yet you state they are new?
post #67 of 78 Old 07-12-2013, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am not aware of a new P6. The P6 is from my last HT. A few years old. The P15 is the newer version and from my last HT. The P10si's are new.
post #68 of 78 Old 07-12-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 42
splotten might be referring to the newer layout of the P6 fairly recently available (maybe last year) where it is in more of a vertical configuration for people who are width restricted. The performance is identical as far as I know.

Edit: I meant vertical. Corrected above.
post #69 of 78 Old 07-12-2013, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Oh Sorry. I might be mistaken. I think it is the P8, not the P6 that has a new woofer. The old one had an octagonal basket. The new one has a round one. Looks like a Seas unit. The old P15 had a smooth woofer whereas the new one looks “waffled”.
post #70 of 78 Old 07-12-2013, 08:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 27
There's a P6V, which is the same as a P6, except in a vertical layout, instead of horizontal. It fits better in columns.
post #71 of 78 Old 07-12-2013, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #72 of 78 Old 07-14-2013, 03:58 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by splotten View Post

Oh Sorry. I might be mistaken. I think it is the P8, not the P6 that has a new woofer. The old one had an octagonal basket. The new one has a round one. Looks like a Seas unit. The old P15 had a smooth woofer whereas the new one looks “waffled”.

Good observations. The P8 has had a change in woofer and it also has had a change in cabinet size. This is the result of ongoing improvements in our products. The P8 was first designed in 2005 (for the DTS Theatre in London) and has seen a number of improvements on that first design. Same for the P15, new drivers, new cabinet. As we are growing our production - almost doubling every year - we can further improve our products. In all cases a change is a change that delivers better audio quality, otherwise we just would not allow it to make it into production.

The drivers are all made for us by European manufacturers, some of which you may recognise. Just keep in mind that we order hundreds, sometimes thousands of driver units per production run, so we specify performance parameters to our requirements and our suppliers manufacture unique drivers specifically for us.

Overall, we are very proud of how well the P8 and P6 are performing and how well they sound. And they might just get a baby brother or sister before long...
post #73 of 78 Old 07-15-2013, 08:15 AM

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben Van Duyl View Post

Good observations. The P8 has had a change in woofer and it also has had a change in cabinet size. This is the result of ongoing improvements in our products. The P8 was first designed in 2005 (for the DTS Theatre in London) and has seen a number of improvements on that first design. Same for the P15, new drivers, new cabinet. As we are growing our production - almost doubling every year - we can further improve our products. In all cases a change is a change that delivers better audio quality, otherwise we just would not allow it to make it into production.

The drivers are all made for us by European manufacturers, some of which you may recognise. Just keep in mind that we order hundreds, sometimes thousands of driver units per production run, so we specify performance parameters to our requirements and our suppliers manufacture unique drivers specifically for us.

Overall, we are very proud of how well the P8 and P6 are performing and how well they sound. And they might just get a baby brother or sister before long...

Are you showing at Cedia?
post #74 of 78 Old 07-15-2013, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Yes they are! Procella speakers and subs are great. We have them installed in our demo room and they sound awesome smile.gif
Gerben Van Duyl likes this.

Master of Minions, Acoustic Frontiers. We specialize in the design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
post #75 of 78 Old 07-20-2013, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I thought I would post once more with some final observations and thoughts. Things sound unbelievable. The audyssey pro calibration came out amazing after many failed attempts. Audyssey with dynamic EQ engaged was over boosting certain frequencies, but I finally solved it. The sound is as close to perfection for me personally as I have ever heard. I was skeptical of upgrading to the P610 from the P6 because I had read so many negative comments about running a crossover below 80 hz. I am a converted true believer now. I finally understand the benefits. Imagine a scene where there is bass coming from the LCR and the sub simultaneoulsy......now the bass comes from 4 sources (sub, LCR) rather than just 1 source (sub). This makes for an unbelievable experience that is more in line with how audio engineers mixed the movie originally. The P610's are beasts and movies shine with room filling pulsating smooth bass. Imagine a scene where there is a 30 -60 hz moment in the LCR, with a 80 hz crossover you are getting that mainly from the sub with very little from the LCR. However with the P610's crossed at 40 hz you are getting a beautiful wall of bass from the LCR and the subwoofer!

So......thanks for reading the thread. I had fun sharing! Now I am signing off to beging re-watching all my movies again!smile.gif Take care. If you have any questions or are ever in Örebro Sweden and want to stop in for a quick listen...hit me up at thomsona25@gmail.com

I can't forget to give one more big thank you to Procella Audio, Pär, and Matts!
post #76 of 78 Old 07-23-2013, 03:37 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post

Are you showing at Cedia?

Yes, we will be in Sound Room SR-12 in Denver. The demo system will have P815 main speakers, a P18 subwoofer and P6 surrounds.
post #77 of 78 Old 07-23-2013, 07:52 PM

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Back View Post

Yes, we will be in Sound Room SR-12 in Denver. The demo system will have P815 main speakers, a P18 subwoofer and P6 surrounds.

Great!! I look forward to hearing
post #78 of 78 Old 08-09-2013, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Congrats with the final room. I am sure it sounds very good, but I must be honest and say, that I dont understand why you have done it the way you have - I would not be able to enjoy a movie in such a room. I think your last room was much more clean and stylish.

Is there a reason you haven't gone with a fabric panel solution to hide the speakers and acoustic treatments? This would not affect the sound, but would make the room look so much better. Sorry if I sound negative, but I just think your room/equipment has so much potential, and its a shame to limit the experience by having speakers/subs and ugly treatments all over the place :S

JBL ScreenArray Cinema | 9.4 Surround | 136" Scope
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page