MisterMRs Starry Night Cinema with electric 4-way DIY masking system with Somfy motors - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 47 Old 05-12-2013, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
And that`s it. Hope you enjoyed reading about the masking system! smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 Old 05-12-2013, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks MisterMr

Great Job!
post #33 of 47 Old 05-13-2013, 09:18 AM

Liked: 11
I sure have enjoyed reading it ;-). A job well done. Like you have I already referenced those other great masking threads.

Could you clarify on the AL BAR you used for the Horizontal masks?

What is the thickness and width? Do i understand correctly that you also used a U- channel and wood to stiffen up the entire bar?

Have you ever heard of 'delrin' ? It looks to be a nice material to use on the ENDs where the BAR rides in the H-channel.

Thanks for posting all the somfy info! It helps to have a list to reference. They have way too many options.
post #34 of 47 Old 05-13-2013, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPictureman View Post

Thanks MisterMr

Great Job!
Thank you! I hope I answered all your questions smile.gif
post #35 of 47 Old 05-13-2013, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by calimark View Post

I sure have enjoyed reading it ;-). A job well done. Like you have I already referenced those other great masking threads.

Could you clarify on the AL BAR you used for the Horizontal masks?

What is the thickness and width? Do i understand correctly that you also used a U- channel and wood to stiffen up the entire bar?

Have you ever heard of 'delrin' ? It looks to be a nice material to use on the ENDs where the BAR rides in the H-channel.

Thanks for posting all the somfy info! It helps to have a list to reference. They have way too many options.

Thanks Calimark! I appreciate you commented on my thread!
I have now tried to measure the aluminium bar and it is 40 mm width and 4 mm thick.
Yes, I use the u-channel to stiffen the mask and to make a straight edge and to keep the tree board and the aluminium bar together. I also use wood to stiffen the construction, to make it more heavy (good for the horizontal mask) and to have something to staple in.
I haven`t heard of delrin. Maybe someone else here can post a reply and comment on that?
I used “silicon super glider spray” to minimize friction in the lower H channel. That is something that plumbers use in their work.

Here is another drawing to make everything more understandable.
The view is from behind. You can see how I fixated the speaker fabric and fidelio velvet with the staples. You can also see the tree bar and aluminium bar and the u channel.

Click to enlarge.
post #36 of 47 Old 05-13-2013, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Thanks for taking the time to document MisterMR, looks like a well thought out solution!

Do you ever have any issues with the speaker fabric creasing after being rolled and unrolled over time?

I'd love to have something like this (I have a 2.125:1 screen, currently with no masking) - but just can't get past the cost of the darn motors - so I'll probably either stay with no masking, or create a manual masking system.
post #37 of 47 Old 05-13-2013, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Thanks for taking the time to document MisterMR, looks like a well thought out solution!

Do you ever have any issues with the speaker fabric creasing after being rolled and unrolled over time?

I'd love to have something like this (I have a 2.125:1 screen, currently with no masking) - but just can't get past the cost of the darn motors - so I'll probably either stay with no masking, or create a manual masking system.

Thanks a lot Brad! smile.gif
The speaker fabric is a bit stretchy and I believe that keeps it from getting creased. So far I have had no problem with this.
I justified the purchase with comparing it to the cost of a projector. I think the masking system is as important as the projector and you buy the motors only once and you will probably buy new projector every 7th year or so. So in the long run maybe the motors aren`t so expensive after all….? rolleyes.gif
post #38 of 47 Old 05-13-2013, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Great thread MisterMR. Your choice of bungee cords is brilliant! I've been struggling with a masking design and bungee cords will work great for me too.

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #39 of 47 Old 05-13-2013, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
MisterMr,

Thanks for documenting your beautiful build and very well done on the masking system!

calimark: I used delrin in my masking build. It is a perfect plastic that is easy to machine and has natural lubricating properties and thus is very unlikely to stick in the track.

brad: I've been using my masking system (a lot) over the past two years. I have absolutely no creasing in the material but I did use iron on non-stretch strips at the edge of the fabric. This also solves the problem of the fabric fraying. I have noticed that my bungy cords are not quite as strong as they were a year ago -- I needed to pull them a little tighter to keep the fabric tight.

Cheers,

- Paul.

My "Old Vic" Theater Build | Screen Build | HT of the Month | Contest Win
My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
post #40 of 47 Old 05-15-2013, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks petew!
I am glad I could be of inspiration.
Good luck with your masking system!
post #41 of 47 Old 05-15-2013, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie View Post

MisterMr,

Thanks for documenting your beautiful build and very well done on the masking system!

calimark: I used delrin in my masking build. It is a perfect plastic that is easy to machine and has natural lubricating properties and thus is very unlikely to stick in the track.

brad: I've been using my masking system (a lot) over the past two years. I have absolutely no creasing in the material but I did use iron on non-stretch strips at the edge of the fabric. This also solves the problem of the fabric fraying. I have noticed that my bungy cords are not quite as strong as they were a year ago -- I needed to pull them a little tighter to keep the fabric tight.

Cheers,

- Paul.
Thanks Paul! It is fun getting such nice words from an AVS legend as yourself! smile.gif
And thank you for your info on Delrin. It sounds lika a great material!
I have had no issues with the plastic channel and it has been doing its work for 5 months now. I used the whole width of the speaker fabric so I believe there will be no fabric fraying here either.
post #42 of 47 Old 05-15-2013, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Excellent job, and quite a DIY engineering feat if I do say so myself
post #43 of 47 Old 05-16-2013, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

Excellent job, and quite a DIY engineering feat if I do say so myself
Thanks Damelon, I appreciate your comments very much! And by the way... I have really enjoyed reading about your fantastic HT! Great work!
post #44 of 47 Old 05-17-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie View Post

MisterMr,

Cheers,

- Paul.

Good to hear as its on my list...whenever I get around to building my masking system
post #45 of 47 Old 05-22-2013, 01:13 PM

Could you confirm the thickness of your AL tubes? And do you experience any sagging at 3.5M long (~10.5ft)?
post #46 of 47 Old 05-24-2013, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Calimark!
My tubes are 50 mm x 1.5 mm and there is no sagging at all. Even the 3.5 M:s are completely straight.
post #47 of 47 Old 06-19-2013, 06:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 1017
Bookmarked smile.gif

I'm going to need to review this again when it's screen time.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page