Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #31 of 178 Old 07-26-2013, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Automation side of the house, CHECK!

Grabbed a boat load of Insteon equipment today on sale at a site here in Canada. Piced up a few dimmers for the theater, some outlets for upstairs, and PLM and a ISY994I for the brain of the unit.

Looking forward to getting this thing configured. I finally have something to play with BEFORE we move. I can get it all integrated into iRule before hand and just hook things up and go once we move.

Also figured out the Snaptrack AC would get things done for the Somfy motor, also nailed down how to use the dry contacts on the Global Cache GC-100, motor should be here next weekend as well as the snaptrack, so I can do a little testing an configuring as well ahead of time.

The more I can figure out now the faster I should be able to do my build come September.

Gonna start working on the electrical side of things soon, need to figure out how to wire everything and also need to work on the HVAC side of things still, got loose handle on what I want to do, but still need to draw it up to get it all straight.

More to come soon!

Marantz AV8801 / Rotel 2x RMB-1095 / RMB-1090 / Yamaha P7000S / Velodyne SMS-1 / DTech BP2000TL / DTech C/L/R 3000 / 4x - DTech BPVX/P Surrounds / DTech SM55 Heights / DTech SM65 Wides / SVS PB13 Ultra / 2x Buttkicker LFE / PTAE-8000U / Globalcache, iRule & Insteon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 178 Old 07-26-2013, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Another Winnipeg person! Sweet!

I have a small room I did last year (nothing too fancy), but am planning on a new room starting once I get some outside stuff done. Looking forward to following along!
post #33 of 178 Old 07-26-2013, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleclair View Post

Another Winnipeg person! Sweet!

I have a small room I did last year (nothing too fancy), but am planning on a new room starting once I get some outside stuff done. Looking forward to following along!

Awesome! Nice to see fellow Winnipeggers here.

If you need any advice, let me know! This will be one heck of a learning experience when all is said and done. Heck, already has been smile.gif

Thanks for following the thread smile.gif

Marantz AV8801 / Rotel 2x RMB-1095 / RMB-1090 / Yamaha P7000S / Velodyne SMS-1 / DTech BP2000TL / DTech C/L/R 3000 / 4x - DTech BPVX/P Surrounds / DTech SM55 Heights / DTech SM65 Wides / SVS PB13 Ultra / 2x Buttkicker LFE / PTAE-8000U / Globalcache, iRule & Insteon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #34 of 178 Old 07-28-2013, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Little more progress on the drawing.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

We have made some changes to the raised seating. I am taking it from 12 inches down to 10 inches. Doesn't seem like much but it will no longer feel so claustrophobic when standing on the back platform. Also did a little tweaking for the stairs.

Big shocker was when I started to add the speakers, I had no clue those SM65's were gonna be so imposing in the room. The bloody things are 20" deep. Oh well, it is what it is now, had to widen the front steps to make sure you could get past them.

Still playing with ideas for the game and blu-ray rack.

I am torn between having it completely in the AV closet, so if I want to pop i an movie or game I will need to go into the av room, or have a punch out into the theater so I can do it from the back left corner.

Pros and cons to both, would be convenient to have access within the theater, but then I would have to find a way to close in the back of the unit as sound from my server equipment will be rather noticeable. Also the sound from the consoles themselves is a little loud, I can hear the PS3 now and it is 12 ft away from my main listening position now, never mind 6 ft from my head.

Still trying to find something suitable in terms of a rack for the game consoles and the Oppo. Can't find anything that is a) cheap, b) looks good and c) big enough to fit it all without being TOO large. Can get any combo of those, but not all of them in one unit yet smile.gif

Seen some nice stuff from Midwest Atlantic, but don't really want to drop that kind of cash on something just for the gaming stuff. Already putting in a full size server rack for the rest and damn it it still is not enough... You don't realize how much you have until you try to shoehorn it all into one case.

This is my racking plan as it stand now. This leave the following to find a home in the other rack / shelving unit:

Global Cache
ISY994i
PS3
PS4
Xbox 360
Oppo 103
Xbox One
Desktop PC for poster TV.

And on top off all that I still don't have a proper home for my gaming / htpc as it is in a huge high air flow case. Likely just gonna build a small stand just so it is not right on the floor.

post #35 of 178 Old 07-28-2013, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Just a thought, but what about making the first step go all the way along the front? Then you would have plenty of room to get past the speakers and people sitting in the front row can step right to their seats.

Jonny 5

post #36 of 178 Old 07-29-2013, 02:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 41
what is riser to ceiling height in the back row?

post #37 of 178 Old 07-29-2013, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post

what is riser to ceiling height in the back row?

Are you referring to the white square on the left side?

If so that was my original mock up of where I may put the gaming systems, cut in from the AV room.

Still a little on the fence here, I think I may just end up putting it in the AV room due to the noise factor. I am aiming to have this room as quiet as possible this time around.

post #38 of 178 Old 07-29-2013, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny5nz View Post

Just a thought, but what about making the first step go all the way along the front? Then you would have plenty of room to get past the speakers and people sitting in the front row can step right to their seats.

The only thing holding me back on that is that I want to add some drawers to the front riser, for video game accessories and that sort of stuff. One thing I am short on is storage for the odds and ends.

That being said though, now that the riser is only 10" I may reconsider, best I could hope for would be a 6" high drawer, may not be worth it.

post #39 of 178 Old 07-29-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Before you get too far with your riser design, have you checked your local code to see what the minimum ceiling height is for habitable basement areas? With an 8' ceiling, I think you are going to have to rethink some things. In the current design, I'm pretty sure you will not have the minimum required head room on the rear riser and you might not even have it between your front riser and that beam. Probably worth finding out before you get too far.

Does the Earthquake transducer need to be mounted in a riser or can it be mounted directly to the seat? If it can be seat-mounted, you could eliminate the entire lower riser. If it requires some type of platform (and you really need it to be in the front row), you could still eliminate the entire lower riser and just build a mini platform under the footprint of the lower seats (just high enough to contain the transducer). This would allow you to lower the rear riser and gain some additional headroom. In lieu of storing your gaming accessories in drawers under the riser, have you considered some type of center storage console that fits between your two front seats.

Another advantage of eliminating or reducing the size of the lower riser is that it will simplify the access at your entry door. Currently, your taller guests will be banging their heads on the top of the door jamb as they step on/off that first step by the door.

A layout like this would simplify things from a headroom standpoint, but still might need some tweaking depending on what your local code allows. How much room do you currently have between floor and bottom of beam?

Circulation would improve with a smaller pair of wides. Have you considered selling those for something more shallow?

Spaceman Theater Build

post #40 of 178 Old 07-29-2013, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

Before you get too far with your riser design, have you checked your local code to see what the minimum ceiling height is for habitable basement areas? With an 8' ceiling, I think you are going to have to rethink some things. In the current design, I'm pretty sure you will not have the minimum required head room on the rear riser and you might not even have it between your front riser and that beam. Probably worth finding out before you get too far.

Does the Earthquake transducer need to be mounted in a riser or can it be mounted directly to the seat? If it can be seat-mounted, you could eliminate the entire lower riser. If it requires some type of platform (and you really need it to be in the front row), you could still eliminate the entire lower riser and just build a mini platform under the footprint of the lower seats (just high enough to contain the transducer). This would allow you to lower the rear riser and gain some additional headroom. In lieu of storing your gaming accessories in drawers under the riser, have you considered some type of center storage console that fits between your two front seats.

Another advantage of eliminating or reducing the size of the lower riser is that it will simplify the access at your entry door. Currently, your taller guests will be banging their heads on the top of the door jamb as they step on/off that first step by the door.

A layout like this would simplify things from a headroom standpoint, but still might need some tweaking depending on what your local code allows. How much room do you currently have between floor and bottom of beam?

Circulation would improve with a smaller pair of wides. Have you considered selling those for something more shallow?

Well crap, the code side of things never came to mind here. I knew you needed a certain amount of clearance, but didn't think it would apply to the riser as it is sort of a secondary structure, much like you would not measure distance from say the coffee table top to the ceiling.... Hmmm.

I am consulting an engineer here at the firm to see what the take is on this.

I am still pretty firm on having a front riser though for a few reasons, one also being the transducers. We ended up going with Buttkickers over the earthquakes, I would really prefer a platform to mount to over the recliners. something about strapping a giant motor to an electric recliner just does not sit well with me.

Also given the screen we are getting being retro-reflective, and the sheer size of it I would prefer to site closest to the center point as I can. The lower I go the less gain we will have at seating level.

The Wides are still a concern, but it is that balance between quality and aesthetics, grabbed the speakers we did based on too much reading smile.gif Not willing to separate with them just yet. In all fairness we do not entertain that much, this is mostly for me and my wife and the few rare occasions when the kids stay log enough to watch a movie after dinner.

So if they are in the way for guests, meh, not the worst thing in the world, as long as at the end of the day I am not bumping into them that is all that matters. smile.gif

Building code here states 6"11" clearance from floor to ceiling in basements. Just not sure where that 6'11" starts smile.gif

I will keep the group posted on what he says.

I do like the design you proposed to an extent. I could do something along these lines given what info I get back.

post #41 of 178 Old 07-29-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Code will also tell you the min. clearance allowed under beams. With an 8' ceiling and an x" beam (let's assume 12"), you might be starting with only 7' under your beam. Your initial plan was to have a 10" riser in your front row, which would have only left you with 6'-2" of clearance under the beam. Regardless of what the code says, this would just be impractical. Same for the back riser. If you plan on having (2) 10" risers, the back riser would be 20" high in an 8' tall room, leaving you 6'-4" of headroom. Sadly, I would be unable to enjoy a few beers in your back row without injuring myself (or your ceiling).

Spaceman Theater Build

post #42 of 178 Old 07-29-2013, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Code will also tell you the min. clearance allowed under beams. With an 8' ceiling and an x" beam (let's assume 12"), you might be starting with only 7' under your beam. Your initial plan was to have a 10" riser in your front row, which would have only left you with 6'-2" of clearance under the beam. Regardless of what the code says, this would just be impractical. Same for the back riser. If you plan on having (2) 10" risers, the back riser would be 20" high in an 8' tall room, leaving you 6'-4" of headroom. Sadly, I would be unable to enjoy a few beers in your back row without injuring myself (or your ceiling).

Alright, I am in the clear, our structural engineer walked me through this.

As long as a portion of any common room (Recroom or such) regardless of size, has an area of 2 meters squared that has a ceiling height on 2.1 meters or greater, it is acceptable.

My front space is that meets those requirements is 2.5m x 4.5m, so I am good.

PHEW

Now, that being said you have brought up some good points bout overall height. I may do some more tweaking to the platform in the entrance to make it more giant people friendly smile.gif

One thing is for certain though now. I REALLY wish we had paid the extra to have the 9ft basement....
JRock3x8 likes this.

post #43 of 178 Old 07-29-2013, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Gave up on riser stuff for tonight and played with my colors for a bit.

Here it is with all the color we picked, Cumin, Birch and Coffee Bean, as well as the flooring color (or close to it) from the rest of the house.

You can ignore the seating color, it is nothing like that, but the best I can do with a standard 3d model from SketchUp. Beggars can't be choosers.

All of my Insteon equipment is slated to arrive tomorrow so I will have some stuff to start playing with. Woohoo! Who doesn't love new toys smile.gif

My wife was fond of the reduced riser layout you suggested Spaceman. Still thinking of going with the 10" risers, but with the smaller foot print as well.

Started looking into where to put the lincoustic and realize I have a lot to learn about acoustic treatment. Got a few solid days of reading ahead of me. Also tossing around the idea of the tile on the ceiling as well. Would save me in having to do all that mudding smile.gif And I may just do it in larger panels with Coffee Bean as well, I like the darker ceiling and then I can hide some treatment in the panels for the first roof point as a bonus.

If anyone has a good resource for acoustic treatment, please let me know, seems there is a colossal amount of info out there, but most if for studio mixing and such.

Oh, almost forgot to post a pick of something we grabbed this weekend. I will likely only ever use it on this project, but I have wanted one all my life:

Should help make short work of the framing smile.gif

post #44 of 178 Old 07-29-2013, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofn42 View Post

Still thinking of going with the 10" risers...

Don't say I didn't warn you. wink.gif I'll take one more shot at convincing you to lower them. Then, I'll be on my merry way so you can enjoy your new framing nailer. smile.gif

Go ahead and stand in one of your doorways and imagine your basement ceiling at the height of the top of the door jamb. If it's a standard door, it should be about 6'-8" high. Pretty claustrophobic? Now lower that by 4" and that will be the height of your ceiling above your rear riser.

I've prepared a quick section through your theater using the criteria you provided (8' high x 20' long room, 14' from screen to 1st row, 10" high lower riser, 20" high upper riser, 159" 16:9 screen). I don't know the exact placement or size of the beam, so I didn't show that. However, you can see that raising the risers causes more than just headroom issues. Guests in the back row will only be able to see the top half of the screen. Guests in the front row won't be able to see the bottom of the screen when reclined. The projector will need to be mounted pretty high to even be able to reach the bottom of the screen without hitting the back of the front row. Mounting the pj this high will most likely put it above the beam that runs across the room. Even with the screen almost on the floor, the top of the screen is higher than the bottom of the beam. Just some things to look at as you move forward with your design.

Spaceman Theater Build

post #45 of 178 Old 07-30-2013, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Don't say I didn't warn you. wink.gif I'll take one more shot at convincing you to lower them. Then, I'll be on my merry way so you can enjoy your new framing nailer. smile.gif

Go ahead and stand in one of your doorways and imagine your basement ceiling at the height of the top of the door jamb. If it's a standard door, it should be about 6'-8" high. Pretty claustrophobic? No lower that by 4" and that will be the height of your ceiling above your rear riser.

I've prepared a quick section through your theater using the criteria you provided (8' high x 20' long room, 14' from screen to 1st row, 10" high lower riser, 20" high upper riser, 159" 16:9 screen). I don't know the exact placement or size of the beam, so I didn't show that. However, you can see that raising the risers causes more than just headroom issues. Guests in the back row will only be able to see the top half of the screen. Guests in the front row won't be able to see the bottom of the screen when reclined. The projector will need to be mounted pretty high to even be able to reach the bottom of the screen without hitting the back of the front row. Mounting the pj this high will most likely put it above the beam that runs across the room. Even with the screen almost on the floor, the top of the screen is higher than the bottom of the beam. Just some things to look at as you move forward with your design.

I hear you man.

I think some of it is going to be pure trial and error when I am standing the the space itself. I know what you are talking about from a claustrophobic perspective, but at the same time I have to make something work, just now sure how it will all flesh out. Best laid plans eh?

I have run all the possible angles for viewing and projected image, it is not clear in the last few images I posted, but the projector will be about 20" from the ceiling in the AV room, this JUST clears both the beam and the headrests on the first row.

Once we are in the house and I have the room framed I will toss up a mock couple of risers and play with the sizes. Sadly no matter what I do it is gonna feel cozy to say the least.

I may still fun with your design to an extend, at least leave the walking path on both sides of the riser, will make navigating the room much easier, just may need a shoehorn to get people into their seats is all smile.gif

post #46 of 178 Old 07-31-2013, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Micro update.

Got my Insteon equipment in the mail last night and had a few hours to play.

Got a single Outlet Linc Hooked up in the current theater to play and plugged the PLM and the ISY994i in, took a couple house but got it all working now with the iRule remote set up.

SUCCESS!

First step in the direction of home automation.

Doing a States run tomorrow to my cross border mailbox, have a TON of equipment waiting there for weeks and months now, the amps, speakers, Somfy motor, all the new mass storage equipment.

Gonna be a fun weekend playing with some new gadgets, figure the more I learn how to use now the less time I will have to spend pissing around during the actual build.

Had a small visit to the house today as well, almost all the drywall and mudding is done, and the basement is finally been poured.

60 days left at worst now.

post #47 of 178 Old 08-03-2013, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Alright Spaceman, you partly won me over.

So we decided to put in that passageway on the right hand side, my wife like the idea as well. Tailored the bench like you suggested, but I still want to keep the opposite side, I think taking off 3 ft from the platform would be too narrow as I still need to put in a pop up for usb ports, power etc to the right of the captain's chair, also wanted to keep that space to the other side of the couch free for maybe a beanbag chair or two if we need temp seating.

Still going with the 10 inch risers though, I really want that height for the screen positioning and the conduit running through it, plus the transducers need to be there as well, still working on a funky design for them.

On a totally different note, I unpacked the SM 65's just to take a peak. OMG these things are huge. The are absolutely gorgeous, but I am thinking the Pinpoint stands I bought have a snowballs chance in hell of supporting them.

I so can't wait to finally fire them up and have a listen.

More to come!

post #48 of 178 Old 08-06-2013, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

Had a pretty decent long weekend (Civic day here in Canada), played around with the Somfy motor and the Global Cache GC-100.

Good news bad news situation though.

Good news is I found out how to use the dry contacts on the GC-100, was able to successfully start and stop the motor.

Bad news is I am fairly certain I need a IR remote and adapter to set the start / stop positions.

You need to push and hold the Up and Down buttons for 2 seconds to put it into programming mode, there is sadly no way to do this via iRule that I can find, you can only ever enter 1 command at a time, and there is no extended press feature.

Looks like about $60 in parts I may end up using just one time. grrrr. Oh well, in the grand scheme of things it is not that much, just hate buying parts I will never use again.

Also spent the whole night yesterday working on my Monoprice order, funny you have no idea how much you will need until you write it all down. So far $500 and counting smile.gif Hopefully with luck I will have the order finalized and placed tonight.

Also got all the lengths and such for the Lincoutic and GoM.

I do have a question for the masses though, and may ask this in another dedicated thread.

I am toying with how much acoustical treatment to do. I have the walls all laid out based on a little program that shows you first reflection points.

But what I am wonder is should I do anything to the ceiling?

I had not planned to do much except paint it to match the Coffee Bean GoM. But after playing with the program it looks like there is a ton of reflected sound at the 8ft mark on the ceiling.

Is this worth treating? If I do then I have to commit to doing the ceiling in GoM and lincoustic in panels as well. No sure I am up for that much more work smile.gif

post #49 of 178 Old 08-10-2013, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Got to visit the inside of the house for the first time in a month, and low and behold, we have a basement!

This will be the future home of the Coffin Family Theater!

Took a look at the measurements on that rough in plumbing, it will work as intended thank goodness!

Only problem I have is in my wife's new library. The Electrical panel is way farther over than we originally thought.Had to do a little redesign but it should work none the less.

Been right into the room treatment side of things, going to be adding 2 bass traps in the rear of the room, and possibly Q-Fusors on the back wall as well.

Need to ask a few more questions about them first before making the decision.

Got the monoprice order in as well, think I have everything I need, ended up just over $700 all told and weighs in a a whopping 101 lbs. Holy crap that is a lot of wiring!

Once I am done the theater I will post a price list. I have been keeping track of practically everything.

Still mostly on budget, had $20000 allocated and we should be pretty close to that all told. But that 20k is also for the whole basement and include all my wife's real wood shelving in the library.

We also head at the walk-through that we may now be in 3 weeks ahead of schedule, putting us at just 29 days away.

Gulp!

post #50 of 178 Old 08-10-2013, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, getting closer to figuring out the ceiling situation.

Here in green is the recommended area to acoustically treat.

Not sure if I will go with Linacoustic in the panels or with OC 703. Either way the price is pretty much the same and I am already grabbing a 50' roll from fabricmate.

Also settled on doing rear diffusers and rear corner bass traps.

Would love to treat all 4 corners but with the bipolar speakers for my mains there is simply no way to do this without killing part of my needed reflective sound.

post #51 of 178 Old 08-15-2013, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Order for all the fabric went in today. 11yrds of Coffee Bean, 11 Yrds of Birch and 13 yrds of Cumin.

Also grabbed the 50' roll of Linacoustic.

All was purchased from FabricMate. They did a stand up job, fantastic to deal with and would highly recommend them to anyone here.

So looks like I will need a total of 103 acoustic panels when all things are said and done. Yikes! And that is actually just the walls, depending on design I need a dozen or so more on the ceiling.

At best we are now looking at 24 more days until we can move in, at worst 45.

post #52 of 178 Old 08-20-2013, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

OK, so after a few weeks of searching I have FINALLY found the TV I will be using for the movie poster display.

This is the plan:

Rudimentary design in sketchup, but I plan to recess the TV into the wall so it is flush with the drywall in the front, and then will be adding a hinged frame around it.

Will have a couple 12v fans power off the USB port to vent it out the top of the recess.

My main issue all this time has been finding a bloody TV that will remember the power state it had.

My plan is to have it on a switch on the wall or hooked into a OutletLinc from insteon to power it on and off.

My plan is to hook it to an old mini desktop PC in the equipment room and have a screensaver that will rotate through movie posters.

Also pulled the trigger on the Oppo 103 this week as well as the primary BR player. $499+ shipping in Canada from Solutions A/V. Pretty awesome as I was thinking I would be paying a premium here, or have to drop ship to the US and go pick it up.

Only 1 thing left to order for acoustics and that is the Auralex Acoustics Q-Fusor panels for the back wall. I have been wavering back and forth on these, They run about $350 shipped from a place in Ontario, which isn;t bad, I am just on the fence as to whether or not I really need them.

I guess after going this far on the acoustical treatment, now is not the time to skimp. lol

Lastly I am having trouble sourcing my rope light for a decent price. I was all set to order from 1000bulbs which is hands down the cheapest, but they only take credit cards with an American address. They have a international component to their site that will ship direct here, but it will be almost $150 in shipping and duty, where it was $20 in the US. That hurts....

Oh well, I will keep looking, gotta be available somewhere for a reasonable price.

post #53 of 178 Old 08-26-2013, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

So strangely looks like HomeDepot will be the best bet for my rope light here in Canada, they have 50' for 34.99, a little more expensive than 1000bulbs for 150. but no shipping and no import, etc.

Speaking of home depot, got my carpeting ordered as well, a super plush Mohawk brand. Pretty close to the color upstairs, it is a rich almost milk chocolate brown, everything else in the house upstairs and soon to be down will all be earthy tones.

Also grabbed a box of OC703 for corner bass traps. Seen some decent designs online and I am pretty sure I can accommodate them easily enough.

Just a couple more little things to buy now, need to grab a few more Insteon plugs and switches, little more Monoprice wiring as well.

Sourced out my aluminum tubes for the masking, still waiting on a price though, hoping it is not too nuts. I have found them south of the border for around $50, fingers crossed they are around the same here.

Grabbed a Samsung TV for the movie poster display as well this week. Talked to their tech support who claimed all Samsung TVs will remember their power state when they lose power. I took the advice of a forum member here and tested it out, went down to bestbuy and started pulling plugs, funny how fast you get the sales people attention then. smile.gif

We pulled 3 and all 3 powered back up when plugged back in. Horray!!!

Not sure the model number we grabbed bu it is a 39" LED, very crisp picture, even up close. Little smaller than we wanted, but all things considered I doubt the 3" will matter in this case. Still gonna build the wall recess to fit a 42, just tweak the trim a bit to hide it just in case this one poops out on us, 39" is an oddball size, don't want to get pigeonholed into a recess in the wall that will not fit anything else long term.

Crunch time now, we can be taking possession anywhere from 13 - 34 days now. GULP.

Offer on the table for our current home, just working out the nitty gritty details now.

post #54 of 178 Old 08-26-2013, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Congrats! Sounds like everything is falling into place.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

post #55 of 178 Old 08-30-2013, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Woohoo!!!

Got the final 2 pieces of the puzzle that we wanted, an 8oz popcorn machine and this baby here:

Man o man are the nieces and nephews gonna love us next summer!!!

This is the last major purchase for the basement reno, now it is all just building materials left to purchase and we are good to go.

I can see the flooring is all in at the hose now, so we are bloody close! All that is left is baseboards, interior doors and that should be it.

We may well be in Sept 9th.

Then the fun really begins!!!!

post #56 of 178 Old 09-11-2013, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Alright folks, it is official, Sept 27th is the day!!!

We will be getting the keys that day at some point. Then the fun begins.

I have some reno to do upstairs first for a few days. Backsplash, toilets, doorknobs and some painting, but once that is done it is full on basement reno time.

The building supplies will be arriving on Sept 30th and I have time booked off until October 21st. 2 weeks is full time off, the last week I am on call in case of any major issues.

That gives me 3 full weeks of undivided attention to getting the theater and the rest of the basement finished. Plan on 12 - 16 hr days until it is finished or I die trying smile.gif

Have just about everything purchased now except the little stuff, the nuts and bolts really. Figure no point in buying some stuff just to move it like boxes of nails and things.

I will be taking TONS of pics every step of the way, but likely once the 27th hits I wont be updating much as my computer is boxed until I am finished. Gonna be a painful journey, I have never unplugged for that long, lol.

I may pop in via smartphone if I have any questions, and BIG, if you are watching, I may be picking your brain. You seem to be the undisputed champ for HT room knowledge here.

We go for our final walk-through and inspection on Sept 19th to see if there are any glaring things that need fixing. I will snag some photos then and post them before I go dark.

post #57 of 178 Old 09-15-2013, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
congrats! building from scratch - a lot of work. I found your thread since I too am running an av8801 and I'm embarking on iRule with GlobalCache for my Oppo 103. Subscribing.
post #58 of 178 Old 09-16-2013, 04:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Alright folks, it is official, Sept 27th is the day!!!

We will be getting the keys that day at some point. Then the fun begins.

I have some reno to do upstairs first for a few days. Backsplash, toilets, doorknobs and some painting, but once that is done it is full on basement reno time.

The building supplies will be arriving on Sept 30th and I have time booked off until October 21st. 2 weeks is full time off, the last week I am on call in case of any major issues.

That gives me 3 full weeks of undivided attention to getting the theater and the rest of the basement finished. Plan on 12 - 16 hr days until it is finished or I die trying smile.gif

Have just about everything purchased now except the little stuff, the nuts and bolts really. Figure no point in buying some stuff just to move it like boxes of nails and things.

I will be taking TONS of pics every step of the way, but likely once the 27th hits I wont be updating much as my computer is boxed until I am finished. Gonna be a painful journey, I have never unplugged for that long, lol.

I may pop in via smartphone if I have any questions, and BIG, if you are watching, I may be picking your brain. You seem to be the undisputed champ for HT room knowledge here.

We go for our final walk-through and inspection on Sept 19th to see if there are any glaring things that need fixing. I will snag some photos then and post them before I go dark.

Super excited for you. I am about 6 weeks behind you.

post #59 of 178 Old 09-16-2013, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakalugi View Post

congrats! building from scratch - a lot of work. I found your thread since I too am running an av8801 and I'm embarking on iRule with GlobalCache for my Oppo 103. Subscribing.

Thanks!

If you need any help with the iRule/GC side of things let me know.

Still have yet to crack the box for the oppo and get it programmed in. but soon smile.gif

post #60 of 178 Old 09-16-2013, 06:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 855
Quote:

Woohoo!!!

Got the final 2 pieces of the puzzle that we wanted, an 8oz popcorn machine and this baby here:

Man o man are the nieces and nephews gonna love us next summer!!!

This is the last major purchase for the basement reno, now it is all just building materials left to purchase and we are good to go.

I can see the flooring is all in at the hose now, so we are bloody close! All that is left is baseboards, interior doors and that should be it.

We may well be in Sept 9th.

Then the fun really begins!!!!

Does it make a lot of noise?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page