post #61 of 178 Old 09-16-2013, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Does it make a lot of noise?

Not sure yet, it was not running when we picked it up, and I am still at least a month out before it will be hooked up.

I will let you know once it is good to go though.

Marantz AV8801 / Rotel 2x RMB-1095 / RMB-1090 / Yamaha P7000S / Velodyne SMS-1 / DTech BP2000TL / DTech C/L/R 3000 / 4x - DTech BPVX/P Surrounds / DTech SM55 Heights / DTech SM65 Wides / SVS PB13 Ultra / 2x Buttkicker LFE / PTAE-8000U / Globalcache, iRule & Insteon.

Coffin Family Theater Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 178 Old 09-24-2013, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Well the day is almost here, keys in our hot little hands on Friday!!!!

Final inspection went remarkably well. 2 small things outstanding besides the touch ups. The gave us the wrong size island in th kitchen, and they also put in a microwave shelf were we didn't ask for one. Working that out with the builder as we speak.

As promised here are some close to final pics.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I will be doing a few days upstairs first and the basement supplies arrive on Monday. So I should be framing on Monday if all goes well.

The main beam in the basement is not as large as I originally thought and the ventilation running along it is not bad either, should be able to shave a few inches off the original plan.

Have half the theater packed now, what a difference going back to 2 channel audio for 2 weeks now... ugh. TV just isn't the same without my precious surround sound. lol

Anyway, this will likely be my last update for a bit, gonna be pretty busy and beat for while. I will try to get in pics if I have the energy before bed.

Marantz AV8801 / Rotel 2x RMB-1095 / RMB-1090 / Yamaha P7000S / Velodyne SMS-1 / DTech BP2000TL / DTech C/L/R 3000 / 4x - DTech BPVX/P Surrounds / DTech SM55 Heights / DTech SM65 Wides / SVS PB13 Ultra / 2x Buttkicker LFE / PTAE-8000U / Globalcache, iRule & Insteon.

post #63 of 178 Old 09-24-2013, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 56
post #64 of 178 Old 09-25-2013, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1 View Post

Congrats! I certainly know how that feel. Now once you've settle in the family, you should start to build that dang HT! tongue.gif

Lol, exactly!!! The tough part is that I am giving up my current theater, so there is so much pressure to get this built as it is our prime source of entertainment every day.

I guess if I want to slum it I can go watch tv in the living room, but 55" tv is so small. hahaha

post #65 of 178 Old 09-26-2013, 05:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 31
congratulations! I'm about 6 weeks behind you.
post #66 of 178 Old 09-26-2013, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post

congratulations! I'm about 6 weeks behind you.

Awesome, congrats to you too!

You starting your HT day one as well?

post #67 of 178 Old 09-26-2013, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofn42 View Post

Awesome, congrats to you too!

You starting your HT day one as well?

not unless we sell our existing house or do VERY well renting it.

we also need to replace our minivan, so...ugh. smile.gif
post #68 of 178 Old 10-03-2013, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

So just a fast update before bed.

We are in and everything is going well. Took me much longer to get things set upstairs. I was planning on 2-3 days, ended up taking me 5 as I had a few major snags.

The day we moved in we had a massive rainstorm, and since my driveway was not poured at the time, it had a GIANT mud pit approaching the house.

So when Monday rolled around and all my building supplies arrived (160 2x4's and 116 1/2 sheets for drywall) they had to drop it across the street from my house. eek.gif

Now for those that don't know, 116 sheets of drywall weigh close to 3000lbs. and the stack was over 5ft high.

I had to carry it all into the garage one at a time.... Took me 3 hrs and pretty much did me in for the day and part of the next. I am quickly finding I am nto nearly as young as I once was... wink.gif

Anyway, today I offically started the basement, lots of pics on the camera, but I have no clue where the cable is to get them off right now. I will start taking them with my phone so I can at least show you guys some progress shots.

Only a couple small hiccups thus far.

Toilet hole is not exactly where I asked, so we have to extend the washroom a foot wider, but on the positive side I gain an extra foot in the A/V room, so it will now be 5' x 10'.

One real disappointment thought is the ceiling is only 7'8", not 8' like I expected.

Does not seem like much but when you have a 159" screen every bloody inch matters. I am not 100% sure how I am going to do the auto masking system. I have a measly 4 inches on both the top and bottom to fit in the pole and the fabric, guess time will tell. I will know more once I get the drywall up and see what I can Mcguyver when the time comes.

This also means an on the fly adjustment to the risers.

I was doing two 10 inch risers. I think I will be dropping that to two 6 inch risers now. I have 6'8" to the main beam over the primary seating area, take off 10 inches and that is just to little head space.

I managed to get in all the bottom wall plates today, they are all drilled into the concrete slab and ready for walls tomorrow.

If all goes well I should have most of the walls up tomorrow and then I can start on the wiring.

More coming as I have time.

post #69 of 178 Old 10-07-2013, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Another update sans pictures, sorry guys, just have not had time to actually import them and post to imageshack.

Did a test on the projector for screen size today, holy crap is 159" big!!!! Hindsight being 20/20 I should have maybe tried 150 or 140. Oh well, it is what it is now. No going back!!!

Can't wait to see what 3d is going to look like on this size of screen.

Been making major progress. Rerouted all the duct work I had to (and Oh My GOD do I hate duct work!!!!)

Have almost all the basement framed now, and the 2 teir riser is in place and complete.

In walking the aisles at home depot I found what I wanted to run my wiring in.

I had alway thought of doing come kind of condiut to the front for the speaker wire and such, since I am drywalling the ceiling I still wanted a way to run cable incase something is buggered up.

Well the cheapest and best solution I could find was Central Vacuum pipes.

Home depot sells them for $4.67 for a 10 ft length, then are 2 inch pipes, so plenty of room to run things. They also have all sorts of great Y and T fittings, should work fantastic.

I have a little more framing to do on the bulkhead and main beam tomorrow and then I can FINALLY start to wire things up.

This is taking me much longer than planned, only 13 days of vacation left and a LONG way to go to finished.

Thursday all the wood for my wife's library shelving arrives, and the carpet will be here on Saturday, if all goes well I have to have the better part of the basement crywalled by then. Fingers crossed.

Can't see the electrical taking too long, not too much to run really. And I have really good plans on what needs to go where so it should come together fast.

I promise I will post pics soon, I will try and remember to send get them in this week.

post #70 of 178 Old 10-08-2013, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

OK, pics are finally trickling in!

I will take some better shots tomorrow, this is just the quick and dirty.

Lots of shots of the bulkhead framing, which for the record is a major pain in the ass... But all the framing is complete now, jsut have to finishe the riser but Ineed more wood. I DRASTICALLY under estimated my lumber, I had this pegged at around 100 2x4's based on Sketch Up.

Well I am at 160 and counting now. All the little stuff really eats the wood up. The bulheads, extra supports, etc, all the unforseen stuff.

Also need another couple 2x8's for the riser. Still struggling on how to do the platform for the butt kickers. I had something in mind, but becasue I made the front row 8 inches it may not work as the Buttkicker LFEs are bloody huge!!! not what I expected at all. They are close to 7 iniches high...

Here we have the cut into the wall for the 39" TV for movie poster display. Sadly the TV I got is a little deeper than I wanted, hindsight would dictate I should have framed this wall with 2x6's, a little late now damn it. Oh well. I will make do and see if there is a way I can frame it that is popped out a bit and still look good.

Here is the raised seating platforms, total height is 18", 8 in the front and 10 in the back.

Here the projector sits teetering ever so scarily on a ladder with a laptop on it just to add extra faer to the ordeal smile.gif

Lastly the projected image for screen size. As you can see this is almot wall to wall and floor to ceiling, talk about go big or go home smile.gif

I have most of the speaker wire pulled now, just have 3 channels left,sadly I ran out of monoprice speaker wire today... Had 300ft and I though this was more than enough... Not so much.

Gonna grab some more 12g wire from homedepot I guess as I am not keen on waiting a few days to get the more from monoprice.

It is just the 2 center back and one rear surrond left, and also the buttkickers.

Hoping to finish up the theater wires tomorrow and get started on the ac power. lots to pull there and it is a lot more rigid so I imagine it will be slow going.

If all goes well drywalling on thursday!!!

More pics coming tomorrow.

post #71 of 178 Old 10-09-2013, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Looking forward to more pics. Keep up the good work.
post #72 of 178 Old 10-09-2013, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The home depot speaker cable is braided, not solid core. I do not yet have my closet set up to tell you if it in noticable at <100ft, but the 12ga solid core was recommended to me.
post #73 of 178 Old 10-09-2013, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny5nz View Post

Looking forward to more pics. Keep up the good work.

Thanks man!

post #74 of 178 Old 10-09-2013, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfbrang View Post

The home depot speaker cable is braided, not solid core. I do not yet have my closet set up to tell you if it in noticable at <100ft, but the 12ga solid core was recommended to me.

It seems the Monoprice wire is braided as well, longest run is to the front mains, about 35 - 40 ft so I am hoping I am safe.

post #75 of 178 Old 10-09-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Glad to see you are finally moved in and working down in the basement. Now that you have had a chance to "live" in the space for a while, have you had a chance to double check sightlines from the back row? Since your screen goes all the way to the floor, will people in the back row be able to see the bottom of the screen over the heads of people in the elevated front row?

Moving 116 sheets of drywall into your basement from across the street sounds worse than hauling sand for a stage. Congrats on crossing that off the list early.
post #76 of 178 Old 10-09-2013, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

Glad to see you are finally moved in and working down in the basement. Now that you have had a chance to "live" in the space for a while, have you had a chance to double check sightlines from the back row? Since your screen goes all the way to the floor, will people in the back row be able to see the bottom of the screen over the heads of people in the elevated front row?

Moving 116 sheets of drywall into your basement from across the street sounds worse than hauling sand for a stage. Congrats on crossing that off the list early.

From what I can see as long as the people i nthe front row are reclined like they should be, sight lines will work, it is tight but it just barely works smile.gif

In all fairness we also rarely entertain, it is just my wife and I at home now, kids moved out in March, so the second row is rarely going to get used I imagine. I know, seems a little extravagant for jsut 2 people, but hey, what home theater isn't biggrin.gif

Sadly I am only half way there with the drywall, it is moved from the street into my garage frown.gif

That being said I am now bringing it in 10 or so sheets at a time, bring some in, do some wiring, put up a couple sheets, rinse repeat.

post #77 of 178 Old 10-09-2013, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

So another good day today.

Theater is 95% rough in wired. Also got the movie poster TV and the singage wired in.

I ran 20 amp wiring and breakers to all the amps, and the front mains and svs sub. Also prewired another putlet and inwall rca run to a second sub location on the opposite side of the room just incase I want to add another later on.

I am shocked at home much wiring I used, I had 75 meters of both 14/2 and 12/2 and used it all today, that is almost 500 ft.

Had to stop at home depot for another spool of 14/2, have the lobby area pot lights left to wire, a few plugs and the pots in my wife's library, as well as a coupl more outlets (jsut 15 amp) in the A/V room, mostly for consoles and my HTPC.

Have some more pics of the progress today:

Here is the drops in the riser and the central vac tubs. have 2 runs of speaker cable for the butt kickers, a usb 2.0 and usb 3.0 drope, 2 cat 6 to jacks in the pop up console and one spare for a pull wire if needed.

View from the riser, rough in for the 3 insteon dimmers.

The big ass panel, and to my sirprise, fiber channel drop from my internet provider!!! Silly buggers didn't even let me know I can now get broadband 250mb in my house!!! Sure it is $180 a month, but it is available smile.gif I did bump us up to bb 50mbs though for $78 a month

Here is the front wall wiring,

Few Riser shots

Drywall started on the screen wall

Hope to have all the wire rough in finished tomorrow and then I can go nuts on the drywall. Would also love to finish up the riser.

Still looking for a deal on insulation, keeping my eyes peeled on Kijiji in hopes I can get some for dirty cheap to fill the riser, would hate to pay retail just for filler...

post #78 of 178 Old 10-10-2013, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Well so much for drywalling today darn it.

But on a positive note I am very close to done the electrical. I over estimated my ability by far today. But I did slug in 40 sheets of drywall first thing and that took its tole a bit.

I got all the A/V room roughed in, and all but the pot lights in the library and the ceiling fan wired, sadly i ran out of wire yet again, total thus far is just shy of 750 ft. Snagged another 75m tonight.

Getting closer on the riser too. Ran my additional supports today, I just still cant get straight in my head how to fun the buttkickers.

I am planning on doing a recessed platform for lack of a better term.

Pictured here is where the recliner will sit. I am thinking of putting in two 2x4s and one 2x8 in the middle, then attaching 3/8 plywood to it all, making a mini platform, but carve out the wood to the thickness of the 2x4s and put isolators under where they touch the cross beams, then it will come in perfectly flat with the top of the riser and I can just carpet over it completely.

I am just not sure if this will work as well as it seems in my head, this is my first foray into transducers so I am not sure what to expect. I just know I need to isolate it to each seat so I can turn off the one in my wifes chair if she is not into it, and it also needs to minimize the shake on the whole riser. Hence the platform in a platform idea.

Any thoughts?

Also unloaded all these today, for some reason they sent my original order which was 114 pieces of ash lumber, oh well, bonus for me I guess. Anyone know how to stain wood and build shelves? smile.gif

Also here are more progress pics for today.

Enjoy!

post #79 of 178 Old 10-13-2013, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

So good news / bad news update.

Good news is I have been making some major headway lately.

All the electrical rough in is complete, some receptacles have been connected even.

Have the theater 1/3 drywalled now, all but one 3 ft wall in the library is drywalled as well as half the AV room.

I started to wire in the low voltage ports for the AV stuff as well:

I am please at how clean it is looking thus far. I have to empty out the maintenance room of all the AV stuff this week as I have the furnace people coming on Friday, so my plan was to do all the AV ports and then rack all the equipment.

Well now comes the bad news.

Woke up this morning with a small pinch in my back, well fast forward an hr and it is now completely out....

I am held up in bed on a bloody heating pad... ARGH!!!!

This is gonna mess up my timeline bigtime...

I have had lifelong back trouble, but thus far it has been doing well so this came as a total surprise. Typically lasts 3-4 days, so I am hoping that I am back to funstional later this week. fingers crossed.

So sadly no updates until I get back to upright.

May have some more pics in between then and now if my wife feels like venturing into the war-zone that is the basement.

post #80 of 178 Old 10-13-2013, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, one other thing to note. I got the coolest tool late last week.

Picked up a spiral saw, been suffering cutting in the outlets and receptacles, always been a weak point in my drywalling ability.

Well saw a video on how to do them with a spiral saw and ran out and bought one asap.

The thing is AMAZING. Takes 30 seconds to cut in a hole now, what a difference.

As seen in the pic above, the receptacles were done by measuring and cutting, the low voltage ports are all with the spiral saw.

post #81 of 178 Old 10-15-2013, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

So made a little progress today.

Back is feeling a bit better, I am finally out of bed and off the heating pad, god I feel like an old man, lol.

Took it easy today and did some low strain stuff.

Wired the rest of the AV room, all but 1 network keystone I missed is complete, will post pics tomorrow.

As mentioned earlier I need to clean out the furnace room by Friday as the HVAC people are coming to check the system and run some tests on the ventilation, something routine with new homes I am told.

So with a little luck I can start unpacking tomorrow and get everything rack mounted if possible. I am going to tarp the whole thing when done as I still have a ton of dusty work left and do not want it to settle on the gear.

I did finally wire in some stuff on the main floor today as well. did the central vacuum ports, wired in the balums for the TV in the living room as well.

Also got the new Honeywell thermostat in today which was a right pain in the ass as I had no C wire in my previous unit... So I had to run a new drop to the furnace and wire that in too. But not before trying their suggested method of using the G wire, which in turn blew my furnace fuse... Scared the crap out of me because I though I broke the furnace at first, it would not start up at all again, took a bit to find some troubleshooting and find out the fuse that was toast.

The unit is pretty slick though, here it is in a CNET review:

http://reviews.cnet.com/smart-home/honeywell-wi-fi-smart/4505-9788_7-35663091.html

Pretty awesome unit. Ties into the home wi-fi and is super simple to set up. Just log into their website and register the MAC and access code and it is good to go online. Can be used via iPhone or Android and any pc web browser.

Got it for a steal on Ebay from a reseller of open box, unused units, grabbed it for $135 only. Well worth it in my opinion.

That is all for today, more pics and another update tomorrow night.

post #82 of 178 Old 10-16-2013, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

So my back is almost at 100% again, still a little tender in the eve, but it allowed me to get some big stuff done today.

First up, one of the things that has been eating me for ages now is, are my Wides gonna fit on the mounts I bought. When I was looking for these I actually asked Def Tech and they said that there are no wall mounted stands they know of that will support the SM65's.

Well in your face Def Tech smile.gif

When they arrive a few months back I was shocked how bloody huge they were, it is one thing knowing the dimension and another entirely when you crack the box and think "crap, did I just buy speakers too big..."

So since the drywall is up on that side of the room I figured what the hell, lets try a test mounting. Well turns out they are perfect.

They seem to meld nicely to the room and surprisingly do not obstruct the pathway on the left side as much as I thought either, you can still easily walk past without fear of hitting them.

Next up was finishing the last little bit of the AV room:

Realize I should have taken one last shot as I have the 3 gang plates on now too. Cracked the one for the speakers but it is so high up and out of the way I don't think I will replace it.

Lastly I emptied the furnace room and racked everything. I tell you, getting those damn RMB amps up to head height is no easy task, they weigh almost 100lbs...

I put in some blanks between the amps, you can see the before and after. Think it is a lot nicer look and doubt it will affect the heat.

I am thinking of grabbing a few more for the space above the 8801 and the below the SMS-1.

Also have a few PC fans left I plan to mount on the rack door to get air flowing from front to back of the case.

This is the PC side of things, have a full LTO 3 tape library for backups, enterprise class server for the home domain, and 2 Rackable 16 bay storage devices for mass storage.

No, sadly they are not full, not even close.

Have a total of 22+ TB now, but these can do a max of 48tb each, then the server another 12. But with the prices of HDDs now it may be a while before these bad boys get filled smile.gif

Also had to put in another couple Monoprice orders, no clue what I was thinking, shorted myself on a bunch of things, 6 port keystones, network connections, even a couple speaker plates. Should all be here early next week with luck.

Tomorrow I hope to finish up the better part of the theater drywall, and with luck get all the plugs and AV jacks wired in the theater as well.

We will see though as tomorrow is our 8th wedding anniversary, so I may not be doing to much in the basement.

Also going to grab the poles I ordered for the horizontal masking system, grabbed 2x 16ft 2" poles from a local supplier, gonna have to strap them to the roof of the SUV to get them home though.

post #83 of 178 Old 10-17-2013, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Only got a few hrs in today.

Managed to wire up the whole front of the theater. Mains, Highs, Wides, subs and all the electrical receptacles. Tied in the few remaining junction boxes and also a bit of drywall.

Finally went to pic up my aluminum tubes for the automated masking system and I have a problem.

Grabbed 2" tubes special order from a local blind shop. The tubes are great, but they are notched on the inside, 4 little pairs of teeth, at the 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock position, they are really small, maybe 1/8" if that, but it is enough to make the tube to small to fit the 2" Somfy motor I have.

Not sure what I can do at this point. I can try and find another Somfy motor for cheap, or buy new tubes, or somehow find a way to flatten those little teeth.

The McGuyver in me says there must be a way to fix this, just now sure how yet.

The motor itself is about 30", if I could find something to core the tub with maybe. hard to say.

I am too invested in Somfy so far to grab another manufacturer motor as I have the remote and the relays, so I am down a few hundred bucks already, and the tubes were $250. So I must find some way to make ti all work.

If anyone has any suggestions I am all ears.

Tomorrow I am going to try and put in as much time as I can and finish up the drywall in the theater if I can. Would also love to finish up the darn riser already.

Still looking for a sweet deal on insulation.

Getting mighty tempted to fill it with sand though.

They did my stucco on the house a few days ago and I have a GIANT pile still in front of my house. Hmmmm smile.gif

post #84 of 178 Old 10-18-2013, 01:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Knife? Dremel? Round file?

Under construction: the Larch theater
post #85 of 178 Old 10-18-2013, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Are the teeth continuous down the length of the tube? If they are just individual teeth, then you could just drill them out from the outside. You would be left with four holes in your tube (or 8 holes if I'm reading your post correctly), but I'm assuming this will be hidden anyway.

If the tube is splined down its entire length, then I think it will be more difficult to deal with. If you don't get it machined evenly on all sides then the motor will not be centered in the tube. Is there enough material on the motor to cut grooves in the motor housing?

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #86 of 178 Old 10-18-2013, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

Are the teeth continuous down the length of the tube? If they are just individual teeth, then you could just drill them out from the outside. You would be left with four holes in your tube (or 8 holes if I'm reading your post correctly), but I'm assuming this will be hidden anyway.

If the tube is splined down its entire length, then I think it will be more difficult to deal with. If you don't get it machined evenly on all sides then the motor will not be centered in the tube. Is there enough material on the motor to cut grooves in the motor housing?

Ok, a picture is worth a thousand words, should have snapped one yesterday:

So this is what I am facing.

It is just a hair too small for the motor, likely 1/16 or so too small damn it.

I am not sure about the motor casing and how deep it is. It is a Somfy 506S2.

Seems all the 50x motors are 47mm or 1.85in.

The internal size is maybe 1.80 - 1.83in

I could possibly score the motor housing, just not sure with what or how to get it perfectly straight so it would line up.

Also considered slicing the tube and spreading it just a hair, but again, not sure what I could use or how to get it as straight as possible. Would only have to notch the tube for 30 or so inches to get the motor in.

Only other option I can see is grab a 40x or 30x series motor as they are smaller. But I am loathe to spend any more on the masking system, already in more than I intended and the WAF is waning each day with each dollar over our budget smile.gif

post #87 of 178 Old 10-18-2013, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Alright, so big day today.

Finished up some more rouge wiring, had to run the internet drops from the office, bedroom and living room into the AV room, got them all terminated and ready to go.

Been careful to label every single connection and plug just in case I have to troubleshoot anything after the fact.

Also wired in another 2 lan drops at the panel to get internet to the AV room.

Finally got to finish up the better part of the riser and the walls.

HEre are a few pics from behind the AV room, all the wiring about to be closed in and insulated:

Here you can see the riser is filled with insulation.

Man what a difference. I have had plywood dry laid on it for a while now so I could get around easier, and it was incredibly boomy. But now! Sounds like stomping on concrete practically. Phew.

Got all but the last foot complete, ran out of insulation darn it... Off to Home Depot tomorrow unless I can find a sick deal on Kijiji tonight.

So far I am up to 5 full bundles of R12 to get the room to where it is.

Still need a pile for the bulkhead around the ventilation system and such.

Still on the fence about filling the ceiling, it is going to take a TON to get it all filled in, and since I am not concerned with sound elsewhere in the house. I am just not sure I am going to do it, unless I find a great sale.

Lastly here is the pop up I mentioned earlier.

We had 2 of these left over at my work that were just never used and sitting in junk storage until now.

I have to say, these are the more poorly designed things I have ever had the displeasure of working with. ARGH!

You cant tell from the pics, but it is actually 9 separate pieces to make the box, came with no instructions (or none with a damn anyway) and took about an hr or more to get installed and right.

The end product is pretty nice though.

The 2 USB ports terminate at the HTPC, usb 2.0 and 3.0. The I added a Levitoron USB charging receptacle as well, this will do the Ipad and PS3/4 controllers when they get low. Also added in 2 lan ports just in case, and there is still a pull cable below it all in case I need to add something else on day.

Tomorrow I am hoping to finish the drywall in the theater, all except the ceiling maybe.

Also hoping to put the bull nose on the riser and with luck maybe get the rope lights installed under it.

If I find time Sunday I would really like to get the ceiling finished in my wife's library, and the carpet in on the riser at least, that way I can move the sofa out of the library and bring in all the Ash lumber.

Garage is still packed pretty tight and it would be great to finally get some stuff cleaned out if I can.

Slowly but surely.

This weekend is my last big push and then back to work next Monday sadly.

Updates are gonna be slower then, only have a few hours in the eves and will have to go hard on the weekends.

I do still have a chunk of banked time left, so I may take another week off in November maybe to get more done. We will see.

Oh, one last thing, I keep mentioning the wife's room, here are a couple pics, not much to look at yet:

Once thing to note, that door to the electrical panel is going to be a hidden door. She is getting 7' high bookshelves on all the walls, that on in particular will be hinged and have a hidden book that will unlock the latch behind it.

post #88 of 178 Old 10-19-2013, 03:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofn42 View Post

Alright, so big day today.

I think this is brilliant - we have like 7 mobile devices in my house and always a struggle to find places to charge them.
post #89 of 178 Old 10-19-2013, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post

I think this is brilliant - we have like 7 mobile devices in my house and always a struggle to find places to charge them.

Thanks man. I know the feeling, between phones and tablets it is ridiculous.

They can do 2 cell phones at once, or a cell and a tablet. One port is more powerful than that other.

Not too bad either, think they are $22 at Home Depot here. I put one in the kitchen and bedroom as well as the theater, may pop one more in the office as well.

post #90 of 178 Old 10-19-2013, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, so I caved an bought insulation for retail prices today...

On the plus side of things Home Depot happened to have a sale on, but any 4 Owens Crowing products, get the fifth free.

I grabbed 10 bags, 3-4 for the garage walls, and I used up 5 and a half finishing up the theater.

Decided to do the ceiling after all, at this point it would be a shame to start scrimping now, and for the extra $100 it is worth it. It has already changed the sound in the room dramatically.

Finished up the drywall on all the main walls, still have some screws to finish up, but they are all up and in place at least, after the insulation I took a crack at the bulkhead, made some decent progress tonight.

Hope to have the rest of the bulkheads done tomorrow, also want to get the plugs and speaker jacks wired in if I can too.

Having our kids over for dinner tomorrow, I am hoping I can persuade my oldest to bring a bunch of drywall downstairs for dear old dad smile.gif

Think that is the hardest part of all this, not sure if I have mentioned this before, but everything you see here thus fast has been done only by me.

I have no helpers at all.

Makes things pretty tedious smile.gif

Anyway, one more day of hard work then I am back to work on Monday....

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page