Hiding wall mounted electric screen? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-14-2013, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
nnd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have any suggestions on covering up a wall mounted electric drop down screen? I had an electric screen install on the wall close to the ceiling, and am thinking that there must be a way to get a cleaner look. I don't have anything on the wall besides the screen. So far the only thought I've had was to put a wood window valance around the screen case. Any thoughts or suggestions on something that might look good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-14-2013, 05:38 PM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Pics would be helpful, but generally speaking you can dress it up with moldings and create a decorative valance as you suggested; build a soffit the width of the room (or whatever is logical) to hide the screen or, if your joists run the same direction as your screen and you are free from obstructions within the ceiling joists, you can install the screen between two ceiling joists and then readjust the limiters to compensate for the additional mounting height. You could even go with fancy finish cabinetry, but that's probably taking it a step too far.

Those are pretty much your options.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-14-2013, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 283
I agree, you can really do whatever you want. Your limitation may be with the drop you have available in your electric screen, but you can build anything from a soffit around the screen to help it 'blend' to the wall, or add mouldings to hide it. I've certainly seen built-ins done with a screen mounted within the built-in to drop in front of shelving.

Your budget and your desire will really establish the solution that works best in your space, but a simple valance is certainly a viable option to be considered.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #4 of 8 Old 05-14-2013, 09:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Yes, post some pics of your room.

You can bury the screen in he ceiling and have it lower/raise through a slot, or hide it inside a soffit, or make it look like a wood beam, etc.... anything can be done. Just need to see images of your space, and the overall design look/feel of your room.

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-14-2013, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Check out the May/June issue of Electronic House. There is an electric screen in that issue in a VERY expensive home theater that might give you an idea. BTW, some of the handy work from one of the AVS regulars is in another article in that issue. Hint: not only did he build a great home theater but he is a software wizard.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-15-2013, 05:01 AM

Here is a wall-mounted application where the drop-down has a soffit built around it. Install starts at this post: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1406831/hawaii-home-theater-construction/180#post_22739253
post #7 of 8 Old 05-17-2013, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
nnd

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is the picture of the wall mounted electric screen which I'm trying to conceal. It's a 135 inch screen and it's 118" wide on the wall. The bottom of the screen is about 5.5 inches from the ceiling. The room is a bonus room located on the 2nd floor and I want to keep the room as a multi-functional space. I like the idea of the soffit, but that seems like a costly project, given that I'm not all that handy and would imagine that it would be a pretty expensive project to hire someone. What type of price range should I be thinking? I'm hoping to come up with a simple solution.

Screen pic.jpg 1312k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen pic.jpg (1.28 MB, 22 views)
post #8 of 8 Old 05-17-2013, 02:17 PM

Depending on how fancy you get, but creating a "valance" out of moldings to dress it up will be your least expensive option. Next would be building out a full soffit and then the most expensive solution (by far if you are hiring it out) would be recessing it in between the ceiling joists, provided your joists are going in the left-to-right direction.

Given your limited budget, I would budget $200-$300, including materials (assuming paint-grade poplar or pre-primed pine), to have a finish carpenter come out to the house and build your molding valance.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page