Need help getting started- - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 05-17-2013, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I jumped the gun starting the other thread so I want to start this one in order to get enough advice to get started in actual building.

I got a bit more serious today. Spent the last 8 hours reading and planning, and this is what I came up with.

Sketch one is the floor view.

Sketch two is the front screen/sound wall.

Room
  • Room for theater space is 168x144 after adding a 24 inch false wall for speakers. However entire room is larger and odd shaped (See sketch and pictures in post 2)
  • Seating is setup facing the entrance to room- 4 seats, one row, for a length of 135" and a viewing distance from screen of 150" and viewing angle of 37* (distance of 154" is a mix of THX calculator and 1.5 x screen size)
  • From the floor up to 46" is cement foundation framed in construction. The foundation and framing come out to 10". So I have have a 10" shelf 46" high around almost my entire room. Above 46" is a mix between outside walling and inside walling. The inside walling will be removed and prepped with insulation.
  • There's windows, 3 of them on one wall and a slider on a far wall. Blinds and curtains will be used. It was suggested I frame off the entire 10" shelf with acoustic material, but I'm not sure I want to go that far. I can always do so in the future.

Screen

Speakers
  • Front L/C/R speakers will be placed 46" off the floor, center will be vertical - THX/Dolby specs will not be used for fronts, as all are being concealed by the screen. Is 46" too high for L/C/R speakers?
  • Rears will be a 152* angle
  • Sides will be just above ear height while sitting and 19" from outer most seats and 82" from center of row of seats.
  • Subs- There will be two on the floor behind the false wall. Will only a 20" false wall pose any fit issues?
  • Haven't even begun to research what speakers I'll be getting.

Wondering--
  • Is 46" too high for L/C/R speakers?
  • Will a 20" false wall pose any fitment issues?

What other thoughts do you all have? So far I've got some good ones from Tim and P. Elite, but I was a lot less organized in that thread vs. now.

FS- Peavey IPR 2 7500, Art Clean Box Pro, Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 2, Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
Theater Build and Two Sono Sub Builds Here-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-17-2013, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Some pics of the room

The alcove on the back wall will be used for the rack. The projector will be mounted in that area on the ceiling or using a shelf close to the ceiling. Not sure how far into the 24 inch alcove I can mount the projector, but I've calculate for a couple different scenarios.

My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 2, Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
post #3 of 20 Old 05-17-2013, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
>>Is 46" too high for L/C/R speakers?

You'll need to figure out what height your ears will be when seated, and then line up where your speakers will be based on that. 46" sounds high if that's the bottom of the speakers.

>>Will a 20" false wall pose any fitment issues?

Mine the face is 24" from the "real" wall behind, so the back of the framing is 21.5" (2x4 framing) - if I was doing it again, I'd add a couple more inches of depth, it works but its a tight fit for deep speakers and subs - I wouldn't do any less than 24" (to the front).
post #4 of 20 Old 05-17-2013, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

>>Is 46" too high for L/C/R speakers?

You'll need to figure out what height your ears will be when seated, and then line up where your speakers will be based on that. 46" sounds high if that's the bottom of the speakers.

>>Will a 20" false wall pose any fitment issues?

Mine the face is 24" from the "real" wall behind, so the back of the framing is 21.5" (2x4 framing) - if I was doing it again, I'd add a couple more inches of depth, it works but its a tight fit for deep speakers and subs - I wouldn't do any less than 24" (to the front).

Thanks for you input. I'm feeling that 46" might be a bit high as well, but with my 46" high foundation intruding 40" into my false wall I'm almost stuck putting the speakers on a 46" shelf. Maybe I could aim them down slightly??

So you have 21.5" useable space behind your false wall? I could extend the front of my false wall out to 24" to give me the 21.5" useable space, no problem.

That would reduce my viewing distance to 150" and up my viewing angle to 38.2, still acceptable by far.

post #5 of 20 Old 05-17-2013, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Can I buy the projector now?

post #6 of 20 Old 05-17-2013, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

You can always flip the speakers - tweeters on the bottom.

You can buy the projector - my advice though would be to wait until your room is almost done - then buy the projector, test out on a temporary mount (boxes, chair, bookcase, etc.) to validate the projection mounting distance, and project some test movies on a temporary screen (use white bedsheet tacked to your false wall, to evaluate different screen sizes from your seating distance. That way you can dial in the size you like best (which may different significantly from any SMTPE, etc. guidelines). Then order and install the screen last (well, last except for any fabric panels you surround the screen with on the false wall).

That was the approach I took, I ended up with the front row 12' from a 136" wide screen (2.125 aspect ratio - so I get 149" diagonal 2.35:1 movies, 131" diagonal 16:9 movies), and to me its the perfect size. I watched movies for a couple weeks at various sizes on a temporary white muslin screen before deciding.
post #7 of 20 Old 05-17-2013, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

You can always flip the speakers - tweeters on the bottom.

You can buy the projector - my advice though would be to wait until your room is almost done - then buy the projector, test out on a temporary mount (boxes, chair, bookcase, etc.) to validate the projection mounting distance, and project some test movies on a temporary screen (use white bedsheet tacked to your false wall, to evaluate different screen sizes from your seating distance. That way you can dial in the size you like best (which may different significantly from any SMTPE, etc. guidelines). Then order and install the screen last (well, last except for any fabric panels you surround the screen with on the false wall).

Ok- 1 -- flip the speakers vs. lowering or dealing with the 46" base height. - Thx!

I'm not understanding your projection mounting distance. If a projector blows out a picture between x/y won't it work equally?

Not doubting your suggestions , and really appreciate them. I'm simply trying to understand them.

post #8 of 20 Old 05-17-2013, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh in my case I wanted to be able to zoom to fill the screen for both 16:9 and 2.35:1 aspect ratio movies (my screen is 2.125:1) - so I needed to make sure that I mounted at a distance that the zoom would work for both. In your case, with a 16:9 screen, you shouldn't need to worry about it. But good to make sure the manufacturer recommendation re: mounting distance is indeed correct anyway.
post #9 of 20 Old 05-18-2013, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So does anyone else have any constructive criticism or see anything I've missed?

post #10 of 20 Old 05-18-2013, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Only other thing that comes to mind is that drawing shows a horizontal center channel speakers, if you're doing an AT screen, you're better off with identical L/C/R speakers
post #11 of 20 Old 05-18-2013, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, you're looking at drawing 3# in post #2, which was a rough sketch to give an idea of the real room size/dimensions.

If you see sketch #2 in post #1 you'll see I have 3 identical vertical speakers placed equally behind the 104" screen.

post #12 of 20 Old 05-19-2013, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If I go with two 15" subs, would I still get spectacular sound using a dual 4 1/2 inch or 8" w/ tweeter bookshelf type L/C/R ?

Something like this-- http://www.hometheatergear.com/product-p/2400lr-p-blk.htm

Or a high quality bookshelf speaker like this - http://www.klipsch.com/rb-81-ii-bookshelf-speaker

In reading, it seems like adding heights might be the way to go vs. rears. I'm dealing with a 46" shelf to put fronts on.

I'd need 2.5 - 3 feet between the top of the fronts to the heights. Floor to ceiling is 102". So that leaves 12-15 inches max for L/C/R.

Thoughts?

post #13 of 20 Old 05-20-2013, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Am I in the wrong section? Or not asking legitimate questions?

Not getting much input here. If I'm doing something wrong would someone please point me in the right direction?

post #14 of 20 Old 05-21-2013, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

For equipment specific questions, you might get a wider variety of opinions in the equipment specific forums. But good to keep this thread as a build thread, to capture everything.

As far as speakers - "spectacular sound" is of course relative - one person might be blown away by a $500 HTIB system, while another would insist anything less than 4 subs and Procella speakers isn't worth buying. It also depends on how loud you like to listen. If you want to listen at reference level, I wouldn't trust dual 4.5" midwoofers to do it very well.

If those speakers represent your approximate budget, one thing I'd ask is are you opposed to DIY? There are some very compelling options in the DIY arena, if you don't mind woodworking. Let me know if you want more info, or if you prefer to just buy the gear and get to listening sooner.

Of those two, I'd prefer the Klipsch - my brother in law has them, they're nice - but my DIY speakers are better, and cost less. biggrin.gif
post #15 of 20 Old 05-21-2013, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks!

That's a tough question about DIY. I'm more than capable but currently burned out after 3 weeks of home improvement work consisting of plumbing/drywall/flooring repairs and utility room custom MDF shelving. On top of that I had to do some painting. To make that even better rolleyes.gif some of it was oil based which is new to me.

Any ways..... at this point I'm looking at DIYing the false wall and sound proofing, and buying the speakers, screen, and having the wires pulled and a couple can lights moved. Then hooking it all up myself.

I've ruled out the dual 4" and instead gone for the RB-81 book shelf speaker L/C/R and RB-41 for front heights and side surrounds.

What do you think about those? I have a thread going here. If you care to comment, I'd appreciate your input- http://www.avsforum.com/t/1473656/will-these-speakers-match-up-nicely-klipsch-and-rythmik#post_23338759

post #16 of 20 Old 05-21-2013, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Brad- just skimmed your speaker build thread and I'm impressed. Definitely not wanting to get that involved.

I've built some fiberglass and wood car audio enclosures and kick pods, and I thought that was involved. Holy crap..... nice job man!

post #17 of 20 Old 05-21-2013, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Checked the other thread, that looks like a good setup - heard a lot of good things about the Rhythmiks.
post #18 of 20 Old 05-21-2013, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks - I'm still debating subs.

What's your opinion on speaker placement behind a AT screen that's only 104" long? As wide as possible or could I get away with 20" in from edge of screen on L/R ---- C would be dead center. I know the guidelines kind of change when you go with an AT screen. I'm asking around, and would appreciate your input.

post #19 of 20 Old 05-22-2013, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I like wide towards the edges, but I would just plan on doing some experimentation to see what you prefer - also evaluate whether you prefer straight on, very toed in (crossing in front of the listening position), or somewhere in between.
post #20 of 20 Old 05-24-2013, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
1) buy the projector LAST, that way you'll end up with the best price (if your committed to that projector) or possibly the next model up for the same price that one sells for today

2) not that is matters but your viewing angle doesn't look like 37 unless you move the screen to the middle of the room. Again, whoopity doo on that crap. My room is the same finished width as yours basically and I have a 124" wide 2.40:1 DIY Seymour XD scope screen on the wall with seating distances of 11' and 17'. My front row is very immersive and the second is a very nice comfortable view. I have a 14" riser for the rear seating.

3) if 3 weeks of remodel have you burnt out....boy are you going to love the months (or years) of theater building!

4) place the L R speakers wide and toe them in slightly if needed. Since your going with one row, set the height of the speakers to be equal to the ear height at a seated position. I averaged mine for both rows and that worked well.

5) 24" out for the screen wall wouldn't bee too bad. I limited mine to a point where I only have 17" behind the framing of my screen wall. That works great to house my speakers but my SVS PC-Ultra13 cylinder sub is 16" in diameter and if I even add another sub, I will be limited to the 17" ... I wish I had 3 more inches but I was trying to get the wall as far away from the front row as my space would allow.

Have fun, take pictures......
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page