Hanging a 50lb projector from a clip and channel ceiling.......advise needed. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-17-2013, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Ceiling is clipped and channeled using 5/8'' OSB and 5/8'' drywall............channels are 16" on center.

Debating to use the following methods:

Method `1: Use 1 inch thick block to attach projector pole mount to ceiling so drywall is not marred.................use 2 X 12 piece in attic as backing to help reinforce OSB.........would bolt to 1" Knotty Alder block, 5/8'' drywall, 5/8'' OSB then 2X12 blocking between channels.

2nd Option which is preferred by a friend of mine..........he wants to drill a hole to fit the projector pole through to attic and then attach pole mount assembly to trusses...........seal around the pole with acoustic caulk. I advised him I'd prefer to attach to trusses with IB-4 chips to dampen............but he insists that is not the way to go.

Any ideas.......suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2013, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
50 lbs is nothing. Screw into the 5/8" OSB with 4 decent course-threaded screws that are at least 1 5/8" long. Done. Oh, and try to miss your joists, which you will if you use a 2" or less screw.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 33
have you checked out this build? more than a little evidence that clip and channel construction has some weight bearing ability. see page 6.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1464536/beam-and-pole-interruptus-not-bigmouthindc-and-nygiantsfan23-launch-another-avs-ht

underachiever extraordinaire
Old 05-18-2013, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
It is as if you cannot touch up with paint & mud. This is really something that should have been thought of, before any gypsum or OSB even hit the joists.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Any problems with clip and channel allowing vibrations to visibly affect the image of a suspended projector?

Old 05-18-2013, 05:11 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 735
Option one, just screw to the ceiling assembly as is, forget about all this extra blocking you are thinking about. If you would sleep better go up in the attic and attach another layer of plywood beteen the joists and and channel on the attic side of the existing OSB.

Option two follow your friends advice. It will result in a mount that is isolated from the ceiling and is as stable as your roof truss system. Forget about isolation clips. If you are able to shake your ceiling with your sub-woofers this may be the best solution. I'm usually building in basements and the reason I don't attach projectors to ceiling joists is it makes them more susceptible to floor bounce vibration.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Option one, just screw to the ceiling assembly as is, forget about all this extra blocking you are thinking about. If you would sleep better go up in the attic and attach another layer of plywood beteen the joists and and channel on the attic side of the existing OSB.

Option two follow your friends advice. It will result in a mount that is isolated from the ceiling and is as stable as your roof truss system. Forget about isolation clips. If you are able to shake your ceiling with your sub-woofers this may be the best solution. I'm usually building in basements and the reason I don't attach projectors to ceiling joists is it makes them more susceptible to floor bounce vibration.

I like option two but worry about future placement for new toys.................

The set screw for the pole (length TBA) would be up in the attic...............a screw-up in pole length department has me more worried than anything else, not to mention having to move mount due to projector change. Right now R-21 in in the ceiling with another 8-10'' of blown insulation coming soon which requires I make the decision real soon.

From the onset...........I maticulously have planned this build out, but second guessing myself is becoming a common ritual.

Guess I'll use Method 2 and double/triple check my specs for throw ratio, pole length etc..........

Thanks to all who posted........