Townhouse party wall having triple leaf effect - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-21-2013, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I have a townhouse with walls so thin that I can hear my neighbors watching TV or cough. So I decided to knock down the party wall between my dining room and their living room where I can decouple the walls with Whisperclip/hat channel and Greenglue+ (2) 5/8" drywall . Once I did that I noticed that there is a piece of plywood behind the insulation dividing both our sides as you can see in the pictures. It looks like that I have two air pockets with insulation inside. One on my side of the plywood and one on my neighbor's side of the plywood. Do I have a triple leaf effect that I need to correct first and if so how?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-21-2013, 07:29 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Call Ted White he works with a lot of commercial property builders who use his products. Do you think there is only one layer of OSB, (that is not plywood)? or is there an air gap then more OSB board before your neighbors framing?
post #3 of 6 Old 05-21-2013, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

No air gap. just a 7/16 OSB. frown.gif
post #4 of 6 Old 05-21-2013, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Not sure what triple leaf effect is, but some GG + DD + whisper clips and hat channel should go a long way for you. I hope so. And mini backer boxes or putty pads on the outlets.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-22-2013, 04:12 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 534
One random thought is to add damped mass to the OSB by attaching strips of drywall with green glue directly to the osb between the studs. There is a diagram on this at soundproofing.com under the solution for ceilings. Then insulation followed by isolation clips, furring channel and double layer of DW with GG.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-22-2013, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Ok. I have more details and clarification. It looks like I do have an air gap behind that OSB. After I drilled a hole to peek behind, I saw gypsum board and I assumed that I was looking at my neighbor's wall, but it is only about 2" from the OSB and the width of the studs are 3.5" so now I don't think it can be the wall. Also, the studs on my side does not protrude out behind the OSB into the air gap. So this is a mystery to me why I am seeing gypsum board behind there and not OSB even with a 2" air gap.

I guess my question is that with 3 air cavities, wouldn't my townhouse wall and most townhouse walls be a considered having a quadruple leaf effect?
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page