indirect lighting in crown molding - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 05-24-2013, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am building a 19' x 13' HT in my basement. I have the sheetrock going up as I write this. I am still deciding on design for the screen wall and ceiling.

My plan as of now is to place crown molding a few inches below the ceiling, and build a channel into it to place leds for indirect lighting.

Does anyone have suggestions on how much room I should leave between the top of the crown and the ceiling? Also, will having the leds 360 degrees around the room be a distraction during movies? Should I leave the front wall dark?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-24-2013, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexinator View Post

I am building a 19' x 13' HT in my basement. I have the sheetrock going up as I write this. I am still deciding on design for the screen wall and ceiling.

So, you're designing AFTER the last minute... FYI - we call this stage "fixing". biggrin.gif
Quote:
My plan as of now is to place crown molding a few inches below the ceiling, and build a channel into it to place leds for indirect lighting.

For a room that size the lighting is for decorative elements only - it won't provide much in the way of general illumination.

If the sheetrock is going up - did you plan for power to that location?
Quote:
Does anyone have suggestions on how much room I should leave between the top of the crown and the ceiling? Also, will having the leds 360 degrees around the room be a distraction during movies? Should I leave the front wall dark?

You want to avoid casting light onto the screen - but your screen wall design (assuming you're building a false wall after sheetrock) will probably dictate the design. Probably personal preference, but I'd avoid any light sources on the front wall during movies.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 16 Old 05-24-2013, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

My plan was either for a tray ceiling or just crown with some indirect lighting in either case. The ceiling is only 7'7'' and I wasn't planning on adding can lights into the tray, so one option is to just not build it. Since my main goal was indirect lighting using crown only would fit the bill. I have power already set for where I need it as well as switches etc. Since I'm doing this basically myself with a contractor friend helping me I can do whatever I want. Even if that means taking sheetrock back down.

So you'd recommend placing the led lights only on the side and rear walls, but not the front?
post #4 of 16 Old 05-24-2013, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
It depends on the look you want - the closer to the ceiling and wall, the narrower and less diffuse the light spread will be; further away, you'll get a wider, more diffuse band of light against the ceiling. For my preference, it would be at least 4" from the ceiling, and the rope sitting close to the outer edge of the crown (away from the wall).
post #5 of 16 Old 05-24-2013, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone else have indirect lighting on the front wall they leave on during viewing. I haven't seen many pictures, but I assume people do it.
I feel like it will look funny to not have it on just one wall, but I don't want it to be really distracting to keep it on, and also don't want to watch in complete darkness...
post #6 of 16 Old 05-24-2013, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I have LED lighting in my soffit around the entire room. The lights sit approximately 8" below the ceiling and about even with the top of my light tray.

Here is a shot looking at the front of the room with the LEDs on with the rest of the lights in the room.

Here is a similar shot looking at the front of the room with only the LEDs on and everything else off.

As you can see the screen picks up a lot of light from the LEDs. It is actually more reflective in person than the picture conveys. This is why I do not use the LEDs during movies. I will keep them on while watching TV because I am less critical then. And the way my room is set up it is actually the side and back LEDs that are casting the majority of the light on the screen because I have a build out over the screen that should protect it from the light above. See below...

The screen isn't shown in this picture but it would sit just in front of where the black painted MDF ends and the 2x2 ladder structure starts.

Hope this helps.
post #7 of 16 Old 05-24-2013, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

wow thats nice! What do you suggest for lighting when you are watching a movie. Or do you prefer complete darkness? I may just wire up all the way around and plan on another light source at foot level so you can walk around without dieing.
post #8 of 16 Old 05-24-2013, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
That's cool Vanice, what strips are those, and is that just white pegboard lining the bottom of the light tray?
post #9 of 16 Old 05-24-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

wow thats nice! What do you suggest for lighting when you are watching a movie. Or do you prefer complete darkness? I may just wire up all the way around and plan on another light source at foot level so you can walk around without dieing.

I don't use any lights while watching a movie. I like complete darkness. If I need to get up for something the light off the screen does well enough to light my way out. Eventually I will have a scene set up for my lighting so that all I have to do is pause the movie and it brings the lights up.

I also have step lighting that I can turn on that by itself does a pretty good job of lighting the room enough to walk around.

post #10 of 16 Old 05-24-2013, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkest View Post

That's cool Vanice, what strips are those, and is that just white pegboard lining the bottom of the light tray?

Purchased off ebay here. 5m 60LEDs/meter RGB 5050 waterproof (only because I used the waterproof ones for my step lighting)

That is actually corner bead that is screwed into the side of my light tray. The LED strips just rest in it (for now until I actually go back and use the sticky backs to fix them permanently). Here is another pic of it.

post #11 of 16 Old 05-24-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:

I hope you have another source of light for the room besides this... Otherwise it's going to be very dim, generally. I have a lot of rope light in my ceiling, and even with the can lights washing the walls, it's not bright enough in the room to read. And I mean read as in "look up something in the manual", as opposed to "sit and read a novel"...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #12 of 16 Old 05-24-2013, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Vanice- absolutely gorgeous room. I love the subs built into the wall in the front left corner! WOW.

Flexinator- I'll doing be the same thing. As you may need multiple strips, you might consider controlling your front wall separately from your side and rear walls. That way you can decide later if you want the front wall illuminated or not while watching a movie. In my case I'll have both a plasma for general duties, and a motorized screen just for movies. I think I'll like the crown perimeter lighting on during TV viewing, and then full darkness during movie watching myself.

You can find these LED light strips, controllers, and power adapters on amazon as well, but I haven't gotten into the details of which ones to get yet myself.
post #13 of 16 Old 05-24-2013, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks swerve. Still a work in progress. The subs are a lot of fun. biggrin.gif
post #14 of 16 Old 05-24-2013, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post

I don't use any lights while watching a movie. I like complete darkness.

+1 on darkness. I ran LED strip lighting inside the crown around the room and while I leave it on during a football game, for example, I like it off during a movie.

From what I found, it's hard to dim LED strip or rope lighting. And thus the level that works during normal lighting of the room tends to be too bright during a movie, IMO.

post #15 of 16 Old 05-24-2013, 06:06 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 735
One thing that I've learned is that if you put a multifaceted molding up at the wall ceiling intersection and paint it semigloss whatever lights you put below it will really pop off the molding. my Ohio build and Summer fun show this in the pictures.
post #16 of 16 Old 05-24-2013, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 66
My strips are 5" down and 1" away from the wall.

You can dim them successfully with the proper setup, but it adds expense.

Here's mine:

\

There's some detail in my thread starting here.

What kind of $$$ are you looking to spend?

Tim
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page