What to do with my window? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-24-2013, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 5' x 6' window at the back of my theater (front of my house). I am going to cover the window, but I can't remove it. The framing is 2x6 so I have a couple of options, and am trying to decide what will be best.

1. Put felt or MLV over the glass, frame the sill with 2x4, insulate, and then clip/channel/dd/gg with the rest of the room.

2. Use something like painted soundboard or rigid insulation, frame with 2x3 and same as above.

Any tips or ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-24-2013, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Why can't you remove the window? I would think anything you have showing through the window if you were to just close it off would look worse when standing in front of the house.

To grow mold you need moisture, air and a food source....so you need to use materials that would not be a food source if you closed it off. The area should also be allowed to breathe, which goes against the design of a weatherproof window which you would probably have locked. And although tightly sealed, there will be air infiltration. So you will essentially end up with a big ugly greenhouse tat incubates mold growth.

Why not just keep the window and install a motorized blackout roller shade with the side and bottom track channels to completely block the light? It can be down when you use the theater and up any other time you want.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-25-2013, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Its a "planned community" and at the front of the house, so removing it isn't an option. I have a sun screen on the front of it, so you really can't see in.

I want to cover it, so I can have a did/gg "bunker", and there will be two columns back there with rear surrounds mounted on them.

I had not considered the thought of something growing in the closed space (primarily worried about sound issues). I am in Phoenix so we have very little humidity. If I cover the window with felt and insulate the wall, you think I could have mold issues?
post #4 of 6 Old 05-25-2013, 02:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
There are a few threads on the forums for "window plugs", here's one that came up from a search:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1146396/show-me-your-plugs

(you can make the plug removable, so you can periodically remove to check for mold, clean up any dust that snuck in, etc.)
post #5 of 6 Old 05-25-2013, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Brad but I would rather maintain the solid wall back there. A plug would make it very difficult to place rear surrounds. We don't get much moisture here, and the sunshade will mask any dust issues, so I think I am going to roll the dice.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-26-2013, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Ended up stapling a moving blanket with burlap facing out (can't see anything from the front with the sun shade anyway), and framed it wit 2x4.

Now all I have to do is insulate, clip/channel, dd/gg, and pray I don't grow mold in the desert.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page