First home theater - Can this be done? Pics inside - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 05-26-2013, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

I've always dreamed of having a huge home theater. I was finally able to purchase my first home but the basement may not be ideal for a home theater setup. I will provide a few pics of where I want to set up my home theater and see if you guys think it's plausible or not. Keep in mind, these pictures were taken with the home owners still in the house so imagine the area without all the furniture.

Pic#1

http://imgur.com/ty2LPGI,WvtSINF,dp6vrN7

This is where I would like to have the screen. There are stairs to the right and the rest of the house has a lot of sunlight so this is my best bet, due to the wall on the right. I don't have a big budget so I was considering having a manual pull-down. The screen size I'd love to have is 120", though I would be willing to go down to 100" (would rather not). So as indicated, the wall is 10 feet wide, 7'2 ceilings and it's exactly 11 feet from the wall to the beginning of the beam (we can see a small part of the beam in the pic). I intend on having a blind on the window when we are watching movies.

Pic#2

http://imgur.com/ty2LPGI,WvtSINF,dp6vrN7#1

In this pic, you see the beam, which is roughly 12 inches high (haven't confirmed). I would mount the projector (W1070) right in the middle of that beam, which is 10'6 (126") from the wall which will have the screen. From the end of the beam to the end of the back wall with the chimney is exactly 10'. The light that you see on the wall and door is coming from the main stairs which is right to the left of me.

Pic#3

http://imgur.com/ty2LPGI,WvtSINF,dp6vrN7#2

Another angle of the room. Ideally, I wanted to have my couch right under the beam, which would be about 11' distance from a 120" screen. I can also bring my couch back another 3 feet roughly before getting in the way of the fireplace, which probably won't be used so much. Again, there will be no furniture and no pool table.

Another problem I have is that I have a 3-piece sectional. 1 part is simply the corner connecting the other 2 couches, which is easily removable. Each couch is a 2-seater with a double cup holder and storage in between the seats (home theater style seating). The problem is that is that this sectional runs 11' x 11' so if I put the couch under the beam, the second part of the sectional will run all the way to the wall where the projector screen is, thus not allowing them to view the screen comfortably (person sitting at the end is 1 foot from 120 inch screen). So, I was wondering if it's possible to remove the sectional piece and simply have the 2 couches in front of another, with a small platform under the couch in the back. I could technically back up the rear couch another 3' for a total of 14' viewing distance. My back couch would almost be touching the bring section for wood storage. Then, I would have to leave some room for recline and I would have the front couch at a 9' viewing distance, which is slighty before the beam.

I know this is a lot of information and that sometimes I'm not very clear so please feel free to ask any questions that can help you help me :-)

Hopefully this setup is possible!

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers,
Pat
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page